GameTap is now free

[quote name='Chacrana']If you just want to try it for free... couldn't you download the demo?[/QUOTE]
I mostly want to see what the Next Gen mode looks like, and that isn't included in the demo. Not to mention the demo was relatively short and didn't show much of the game, but from what I hear the game itself is only 6-8 hours long so it probably wouldn't be hard to beat it in a day or two.

Oh, and another question: are the Gametap versions of games still infected with Starforce if the original release had it?

Anyone else blocked from Bust-A-Move and Bubble Bobble?

They're listed as being free, but when I try to play, it says, "Your primary account holder has blocked access to this game."

[quote name='xplode427']anyone use a 360 controller with wireless receiver with gametap?[/QUOTE]

I hate wireless pads, so haven't tried it, but I don't see why not. The wired pad works fine.

[quote name='Edge']I mostly want to see what the Next Gen mode looks like, and that isn't included in the demo. Not to mention the demo was relatively short and didn't show much of the game, but from what I hear the game itself is only 6-8 hours long so it probably wouldn't be hard to beat it in a day or two.

Oh, and another question: are the Gametap versions of games still infected with Starforce if the original release had it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. 99% sure it doesn't.

And I'm 99% sure it doesn't install any spyware. I think that guy talking about it just has an infection he got somewhere else.

One thing I noticed, you'll want to install the "Deluxe" player. That's the full client that it's always used. The "Lite" player doesn't let you configure controls, go full screen, or run more advanced games, like PC stuff, Dreamcast, and Saturn stuff.

And they've GOT Saturn stuff on there now!!! (Not for free this week)

Okay, I've tried out the free mode, and it rocks.

Regarding the spyware thing-I bet he's referring to the driver x4hsx32.sys. It's used by Gametap and apperently Yahoo games-probably as part of their DRM or else part of the download manager. Either way, it's not spyware, and if you've installed Windows Defender, it catches it. Blocking it seems to have no effect (probably just loads with Gametap instead). Point is, don't worry about it, it's not spyware or malware.

The free version displays a banner add while you're playing...and that seems to be it! I'm playing Mutation Nation right now on my HD TV, and it works great. The only minor annoyance I have is Gametap won't support a second screen in full screen mode. I had to choose my Sony TV as my primary display for it to maximize to the TV. Once I did, it works and looks great. Handles widescreen for the interface, though obviously most games are 4:3 letterboxed.

At any rate, go for it! There's nothing to lose.

I don't really remember Mutation Nation, but it seems fun so far. It's a side-scrolling fighter.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Uh don't bother with tomb raider legend it is free to June 4th. So a 5 gig download takes 1day+ and you get what a day or two to play it.[/QUOTE]

Unless you pay the pitiful $10 a month fee.

Fancy that.

I wrote a review about Gametap about a year ago. To sum it up: if you're a true Cheapass gamer, that can't be bothered with illegal emulation, Gametap is a godsend. Honestly, you could live off of Gametap alone for the next ten to twenty years, with what they have now, not to mention what they add as time goes on.

What am I doing wrong? I was playing Mutation Nation, beat it, everything worked fine. Then I switch to King of the Monsters, and my control pad doesn't work! If I hit esc on my keyboard, the controller works again in the menus.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've tried a few other games, and same deal, my controller's not working. Play Mutation Nation, and it works again. ARGH!

EDIT: I'm guessing it has to do with that driver it launches. I've just left Windows Defender with the ? symbol, as I can always block it later when I'm done with Gametap.

Seems to work fine now.

I wonder how much ownership a client has of the property after download. In other words is it possible to transfer to another drive during a computer upgrade. Or copy it to a removable media in case of HD failure. I bet they dont allow that. I cant imagine youd have the same freedom as with an original game disc.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I wonder how much ownership a client has of the property after download. In other words is it possible to transfer to another drive during a computer upgrade. Or copy it to a removable media in case of HD failure. I bet they dont allow that. I cant imagine youd have the same freedom as with an original game disc.[/QUOTE]
It's a subscription service, not a purchase. You don't have any control of the download and you can't do any of those things. But you can redownload whatever you want as long as your subscription is active.

[quote name='mforge']...unless you enjoy managing your coin-op arcade, Genesis, Sega Master System, Commodore 64, Sega Saturn, DOS, and Dreamcast emulators yourself (along with a couple hundred Windows games), Gametap is still a pretty convenient alternative.[/quote]I actually do enjoy managing stuff like that, but maybe I'm weird like that. Organizing and collecting, favorite hobby.

Not trying gametap as I don't play the games I own now. Can't imagine I'd even bother with the free ones, and then the pay service, I'd never use it. Thanks for the info though OP.

[quote name='Damian']It's a subscription service, not a purchase. You don't have any control of the download and you can't do any of those things. But you can redownload whatever you want as long as your subscription is active.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've found you CAN copy game files over to another computer. Obviously you still have to log in and everything, but it can be handy if you've got one computer with a faster internet connection or if you don't want to download 4GB at work :D .

To Richard Longfellow, I agree completely, which is why I won't ever "buy" a game from X-Box Live or VC or Sony's store. As mentioned though, this is mainly a rental service, so for this type of thing I understand and don't mind DRM.

Nice service, I don't really like rental services. I tried, downloaded Tomb Raider, whoever said it would day a day+ must have a really shitty connection. I downloaded it in 1 1/2-2 hours. There is no spyware like somebody else mention. I would be more willing to buy into this if they had more Dreamcast games and more Sega Dreamcast games to be specific.

I use the wireless receiver for the 360 pad and I love it. It makes the genesis games especially a lot easier to play.

I started a membership with them just prior to the free stuff coming out, and I'd say its well worth it. The best part about it? You can have up to 5 (or 6, I forget) subaccounts to give to anyone, and you can use them at the same time. The subaccounts are just like the regular accounts. Therefore, if you split the cost with some friends, you can all enjoy it. I have two subaccounts for two of my brothers, and we've run into no problems.

The only thing that sucks is that my laptop sucks for some of these games.

[quote name='Wolfpup']To Richard Longfellow, I agree completely, which is why I won't ever "buy" a game from X-Box Live or VC or Sony's store. As mentioned though, this is mainly a rental service, so for this type of thing I understand and don't mind DRM.[/QUOTE]Sony lets you install your purchased content on up to six systems, and MS lets you use your content on any system, as long as you log in to Live first. It's really no problem.

Yes it is, for the reasons you just mentioned.

DRM is handled much more fairly by multiple different companies on the PC side of things, Apple and Valve among them.

Do we know how often they're going to rotate games? For some reason I got the idea that it would be every Monday or Tuesday...but that's past, and it's the same games.

Which is fine, except I didn't try some of the longer games because I thought I wouldn't have time to finish them :D

Anyway, now it says June 13th.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Do we know how often they're going to rotate games? For some reason I got the idea that it would be every Monday or Tuesday...but that's past, and it's the same games.

Which is fine, except I didn't try some of the longer games because I thought I wouldn't have time to finish them :D

Anyway, now it says June 13th.[/QUOTE]

Seems they rotated out some of the games and replaced them and kept others.

Okay, thanks! I guess I didn't notice as I just looked at some of the bigger games available. Guess I was assuming they were going to swap all of them.

I'd like to try out Uru and Disciples.

i just signed up.... thanks!! this is proof some people here are nice... i think i will stick around here for a long time to come.

I installed the deluxe edition today, works perfect with my PS2 controller with PS2 to USB adapter. I shouldn't have waited, this is pretty cool! :bouncy:

Username is vicious7171 if anyone is interested in playing some 2D beat-em-ups :cool:

[quote name='Legolas813']The free games page now has accurate "expiration" dates. Check it out: http://www.gametap.com/home/play/free.html

BTW, GameTap announced today that Overlord (PC) is coming on August 9th for subscribers.[/quote]

Wow, that is pretty awesome on Overlord. Actually one that is going to show up on Gametap before I was going to buy it. They are really starting to get a few that I had purchased that I haven't even played yet. . .

[quote name='Link127']will this work with Mac?[/QUOTE]

Not yet according to their faq. Uru live will if you have an intel based mac, but thats the only game that will.

Originally Posted by Link127
will this work with Mac?

[quote name='madportagee']Not yet according to their faq. Uru live will if you have an intel based mac, but thats the only game that will.[/quote]
Actually not entirely true, their deluxe player is not mac compatable yet but their lite player is. Not all games are compatiable but from what I can tell a good portion of them do work. However, the lite player is a little lacking (guess thats why its the lite player) and it cant play fullscreen and such. Also just checked the FAQ it can't play dreamcast, pc or saturn games, or custmize controls. BUT for free it was nice to play a few rounds of bust-a-move while it was free :bouncy:

I hope they get a deluxe player going for mac, otherwise I will just use my windows PC when I get back to my university.

EDIT: Im on a intel mac im not sure if its PPC compatiable.
EDIT2: It is only for intel mac's with os 10.4.8 or higher.

[quote name='turls']Wow, that is pretty awesome on Overlord. Actually one that is going to show up on Gametap before I was going to buy it. They are really starting to get a few that I had purchased that I haven't even played yet. . .[/QUOTE]

I just found out they signed a two-year deal with Codemasters, so in addition to Overlord they are also getting Drive, and the upcoming Clive Barker's Jericho and Turning Point: Fall of Liberty when they are released.

They also signed a deal with Strategy First to get many of their games through 2012, such as Culpa Innata, Call For Heroes, GODS: Land of Infinity Special Edition, Enemy Engaged 2, Disciples, Jagged Alliance, Space Empires, and Urban Empires.

Not to mention they are getting the following series now or very soon: Bloodrayne, Hitman, Legacy of Kain, and Thief.

Also, Sam and Max: Season 2 was just announced, along with American McGee's Grimm (upcoming episodic series).

:applause:

[quote name='Legolas813']The free games page now has accurate "expiration" dates. Check it out: http://www.gametap.com/home/play/free.html

BTW, GameTap announced today that Overlord (PC) is coming on August 9th for subscribers.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing. This service just keeps getting better and better. It's not even $10 a month if you prepurchase. Only reason I haven't yet is my gigantic backlog of games (PC stuff is especially great about coming down in price, probably because it starts out cheaper too).

[quote name='slidecage']be nice if they accepted more video cards my pc wont run it cause they dont support my video card : ([/QUOTE]

What card do you have? Some of the games will probably run on anything. Older PC titles or console games. Newer high-end PC games would need real hardware 3D, not Intel. But just because your card isn't listed doesn't necessarily mean it isn't supported. Let us know what you have, and try out the free version.

[quote name='Link127']will this work with Mac?[/QUOTE]

As others have mentioned, right now the "lite" version works, and beyond that, they've said the "deluxe" (ie original, regular) player is coming later this summer. So it already should have a large part of it's library playable on the Mac, with everything coming soon.

The catch (of sorts) is that it only supports Intel based Macs-in other words, systems sold in the last two years. I'm not sure if that's for ALL games, or just PC games, but possibly all.

The reason is that they're using this product called (I think) Cider, which basically wraps the Windows API calls, like Direct 3D, etc., and reroutes them to OpenGL and other OS X APIs. Beyond that though, the code isn't emulated. It's running the same x86 code as it would on a Windows PC, which is why it needs an x86 based Mac.

On a side note, I think it's completely awesome it supports the Mac. Between Gametap and the fairly solid Mac gaming scene, and the ability to run Windows natively, the Mac is becoming more and more a neat choice (yes, I'm drooling over a Macbook Pro :D )

I just need to bump this thread as you can get Overlord for 99c. This is the first months fee on a month to month subscription. I signed up over the weekend downloaded a bunch of great titles, including Beyond Good and Evil, Just Cause, and the big hitter OverLord. I typically would have waited for this to go clearance at Target, but this is an even better deal. What is really great is many of the games are multiplayer, so I use my wireless xbox controllers as joysticks to increase the fun.

Yeah, I'm impressed how fast they're even getting a lot of new games now. Tomb Raider: Anniversary was actually out on Gametap BEFORE retail, I think (or at least at the same time). Overloard barely came out, etc.

Sam and Max - S1:E4 (Abe Lincoln Must Die!) has been put on the free list. Also, it looks like all the free games have been given extended expiration dates of December 31. And RealMyst has been put back on the list.

[quote name='Legolas813']Also, it looks like all the free games have been given extended expiration dates of December 31.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the free list expiration date is essentially broken. They pretty much just stick a random date in the future on them - it doesn't have anything to do with when they're removed.

I've been playing the free version for a couple of months now and signed up for the paid version last weekend. $59.95 for a year was too good to pass up. That's the price of one new game. I'm waiting on Jericho now!:cool:

^^ Do have proof of this? I've heard no indication before that the list was broken. For the most part, the date shown is the last day you can play it.

When all the dates turned to December 31, I did question whether it was an error or not, but I've not been given an official response yet.

[quote name='Legolas813']^^ Do have proof of this? I've heard no indication before that the list was broken. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the topic has come up a number of times on the GameTap forums ("You said Game X would be available until next month, but it disappeared today!") Gametap's official response is that there's an issue with the way the computer calculates the dates, so they just put a random date from the future on them. Why they don't just remove the date from being displayed until they fix the bug, I dunno.

It's possible that it's fixed now, and my info is out of date, but as far as I know, its still broken.

Can the free games to be played online?
I tried gametap tonight, but I could not join the challenge lobby. it says "service not avalaible" or something.

You must be online to play all GameTap games, whether you are a free or paying member.

And to participate in the challenge lobbies, you must have at least a free Green membership.

any luck with using 360 wireless controller w/ play and charge cable? i get the drivers to install, but when powering it only turns on the 360, how do i get the pc to recognize it? its frustrating because i also want to use it for mvp 07 PC too

Never tried GameTap before, went to their site and noticed that Street Fighter 2 CE is free to play. I used to (and still do) love this game. I'll give a try.

RLY723,

From what I understand there are still issues with the wireless 360 controller working with Gametap. To get your PC to recognize it, you need to sync or partner it with the wireless dongle you bought for your PC. I was confused about this first and had the same issue with my 360 turning 3 rooms away. There is a small sync button on the front of the 360 controller that will allow you to sync it. I still have not been able to get Gametap to recognize it though. I'm thinking aout grabbing a wired one.

The Gametap sight actually lists PC Only as working with their service and I assume that is the wired versiojn with a different set of drivers....:bomb:

-DCHAD

Some of the games are add supported though. Gametap seems to be better now, but I'm still not compeled enough to subscribe for it. Seems decent enough of a value though.

[quote name='Legolas813']You must be online to play all GameTap games, whether you are a free or paying member.

And to participate in the challenge lobbies, you must have at least a free Green membership.[/quote]

Yes. I applied a free ID. And I was using the delux player, and my computer is always online.
When I clicked the "challenge lobb" button, I got a message "the challenge lobby is not currently available".
Same thing when I tried again today, even with my firewall off.

[quote name='rly723']any luck with using 360 wireless controller w/ play and charge cable? i get the drivers to install, but when powering it only turns on the 360, how do i get the pc to recognize it? its frustrating because i also want to use it for mvp 07 PC too[/QUOTE]

Of course it's not going to work with a play and charge kit :) You have to buy Microsoft's $20 wireless adapter thing for it if you want to use the wireless controller. Otherwise pick up a wired pad.

Also you don't need any drivers for the 360 pad (at least not the wired one...actually maybe you do for the wireless version).

I got bored off GameTap and was planning on cancelling it yesterday so I talked with one off their workers on live chat and the guy offered me one month free and I said yes. Conidering that I only payed 99 cents, that was hell of a deal

The Hitman series is coming to GameTap Free in November:

November 1 - Hitman: Codename 47 is made available for free play.
November 8 - Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is made available for free play, Hitman Retrospective airs on Watch
November 15 - Hitman: Contracts is made available for free play.
November 21: Hitman starring Timothy Olyphant hits theatres!

bread's done
Back