Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedGamer'].. Really? That's odd. I haven't seen anything to the contrary.. at all.

Maybe it's because to the extent of the size of your trade-in, they didn't have big enough boxes?

The amazon credit they give you, is that a code that you can use on any amazon account or is it tied to email?

Also I made an order using TWEET09 code but decided I don't want to send in one of the things I was going to trade in. Can I just send the rest without the item and get the credit minus what they were going to give me for that item and the 5% amazon for that item or should I redo the order on a different email so I can use the code again?

[quote name='ponn01']The amazon credit they give you, is that a code that you can use on any amazon account or is it tied to email?[/QUOTE]
There is a code that is sent via email and can be used with any Amazon account.

[quote name='no_exit']There is a code that is sent via email and can be used with any Amazon account.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. Using this site to unload a couple old cell phones I had laying around. I always get a new one like every year for renewing with my carrier.

Good luck to anyone who can find this, because I can't, but the TIV for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 Special Edition (Platinum Hits) for 360 is $70! :hot:

I assume that's a $30 MSRP game if you can find it out there. Must be super rare though, since nobody on or off line seems to have it.

My last order has improved on timeliness greatly.
10/9 Received,
10/10 Accepted,
10/12 Payment (sent check).

Previously I was getting about 2+ weeks between receipt and payment.

[quote name='MarcSparks']Good luck to anyone who can find this, because I can't, but the TIV for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 Special Edition (Platinum Hits) for 360 is $70! :hot:

I assume that's a $30 MSRP game if you can find it out there. Must be super rare though, since nobody on or off line seems to have it.[/QUOTE]

Er, where is the TIV $70? Not on Gazelle.

EDIT: That's really weird. The non platinum hits TIV is $8, but the platinum hits TIV is $70? That doesn't make any sense. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a platinum hits of the Gold Edition.

It is. Maybe, you're looking at the Gold Edition. According to the site, they are indeed giving $70 for a perfect, complete copy of the Platinum Hits version. I gotta believe that's some kind of error. It can't honestly be worth that much. You can just buy the regular version and get the DLC for much, much, much less. All you would be missing is the bonus DVD, and who the hell really wants that?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It is. Maybe, you're looking at the Gold Edition. According to the site, they are indeed giving $70 for a perfect, complete copy of the Platinum Hits version. I gotta believe that's some kind of error. It can't honestly be worth that much. You can just buy the regular version and get the DLC for much, much, much less. All you would be missing is the bonus DVD, and who the hell really wants that?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't think I've ever seen this game anywhere. Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the Platinum Hits the non-Gold Edition? I don't recall when a Platinum Hits Gold Edition was even released. It must have been a tiny window, and so the TIV is there solely because it's a collectible.

It's hard enough finding the Gold Edition.

i wouldnt try it. it will probably be fixed in a couple days and if you do send it in they will not honor it just like the last glitch.

Well I placed my first order today, going to ship tomorrow. Five games for a total of $28.10

PS3- Resistance FoM
PS3- Motorstorm 1
XB1- Halo 2
XB1- Halo 2 Map Pack
XB1- Conker Live and Reloaded

Pretty nice for all but one of these games were just sitting in my drawer collecting dust. Thanks OP

I'll report to see how the transaction goes. *Crosses fingers*

Picked up a nice little flip today with Gamestop credit that I'm desperately trying to turn into Amazon credit for my large ECA preorder. GS has Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Collector's Edition on 360 NEW for $9.99 -> $15 Gazelle TIV.

This is in-store only at GS, but a few of the stores in my area have it including the closest one where I got it today. Debating going a little further to pick up some more copies.

That led to my first Gazelle trade:

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Collector's Edition $15
Resident Evil 5 PS3 $24
+TWEET09
+Amazon 5% Bonus
= $45.95

Like others, I will report how it goes and the time turnaround to get my credit. I will be interested to see how it goes for everyone and the "perfect" condition rating. Both these discs are flawless, so I'm not worried this time. But anything I buy used from GS would not pass for this. Gazelle's TIVs are worthless if not going on the Perfect condition price.

Dude. That is a awesome flip.

I see -3- pretty close to me. I know alot of people (including myself) have been looking to flip their GameStop credit into Cash or Amazon credit. I'll put it up in the OP and credit you as soon as possible. It won't happen until.. tomorrow, probably. (I've got some research papers I have to finish tonight.)

Ha! I got Science Papa for the Wii from the Target clearance for $7.48 today with the intention of putting it on Goozex but tried out Gazelle.com and they gave me $18.65 (including TWEET09 promo code).

Science Papa - 13.00
Amazon 5% - 0.65
TWEET09 - 5.00
Total [18.65]

I got $28.50 last week for an old MP3 player that had been sitting around collecting dust for over a year.

Tomorrow I am doing my second flip ever: I an sending out 3x Guitar Hero 5 for a total of $102.30 in Amazon credit with the bonuses. They were purchased for $20.98 each so it is a nice gain.

Does Gazelle have a certain time window for when packages can be sent out? I locked in my trade ins on Saturday/Sunday but I won't have time until Thursday to stop by the UPS store. If someone can let me know, that'd be awesome!

[quote name='mis0']Does Gazelle have a certain time window for when packages can be sent out? I locked in my trade ins on Saturday/Sunday but I won't have time until Thursday to stop by the UPS store. If someone can let me know, that'd be awesome![/QUOTE]

I submitted a trade order last night. The receipt page said their offer expires November 11, so they seem to give you a month to get your stuff in to them.

So you should be fine.

I'm doing my first trade-in to Gazelle and using the TWEET09 code to get an extra $5 for Geometry Wars Galaxies (Wii). With that and the 5% Amazon bonus it works out to 3.00+0.15+5.00 = 8.15. Not bad at all. It was only worth $2 at GS and thus didn't qualify for their current trade-in bonus, so this is perfect.

[quote name='Moravagine']I got $28.50 last week for an old MP3 player that had been sitting around collecting dust for over a year.

Tomorrow I am doing my second flip ever: I an sending out 3x Guitar Hero 5 for a total of $102.30 in Amazon credit with the bonuses. They were purchased for $20.98 each so it is a nice gain.[/QUOTE]

Where did you get 3 copies of GH5 for only $20.98? I'd like to partake of that flip if possible!

[quote name='MarcSparks']Picked up a nice little flip today with Gamestop credit that I'm desperately trying to turn into Amazon credit for my large ECA preorder. GS has Turning Point: Fall of Liberty Collector's Edition on 360 NEW for $9.99 -> $15 Gazelle TIV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this! Great flip! I see some at a few of my nearby/semi-nearby GS's, so I'm going to try to cash in on this.

Can you change the quantities of a submitted trade-in? Does the value change to the value at that time if you do that (like happens with amazon now)? I'd lock to lock this value in, but don't know how many copies I'll really be able to find. With the 5% bonus TWEET code and 5% Amazon bonus it should be $16.50 each. Nice! Though not entirely sure if I'll use up the TWEET code yet. Would like to use that on a large trade-in.

One major limitation (to me) or combo thereof is that you can not change the quantity on an order, only remove items, and once a coupon has been used on your account you can't re-use it...even if you cancel that order.

Thanks for that info converse. Hopefully I can find time tonight to make a mini-GS tour. I should be able to make it to one of the GS's tonight, so hopefully I find a copy there as currently claimed on their web site. Doesn't seem likely that they'd have more then one, but I'll ask. Is there a limit on the number of copies you can send to Gazelle?

Turning Point tanked to $8 for anyone who didn't lock it in. They are slowly starting to catch on to their flips. A number of flips I had for them went away.

All is not lost, maybe. I looked at my cart and two copies of Turning Point are still in there and listed as $15! I never went to checkout, but the value for them has held. So maybe you don't have to checkout to lock it in? The only question then is if I remove one of them, will the other one then drop in value. Hmm...

[quote name='Japakneez']i wouldnt try it. it will probably be fixed in a couple days and if you do send it in they will not honor it just like the last glitch.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree, these guys are okay if your transactions go through as planned. If you ever need to go through customer service these people are BITCHES. Their customer service SUCKS, especially in comparison with amazon, and don't request a supervisor - they're the biggest dicks. As far as keeping games for a month then sending them in, expecting that you "locked-in" a price...good luck. This company has it in the legal stuff you agree to that they can change a trade value any time they want , even after you send it.

Also if you want to preserve a good flip, I would NOT post it here. I'm pretty sure they monitor CAG, SD for sure. I think they resent flippers! LOL Maybe someone could change the OP to include this warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 Q's:

-is it allowed to use multiple accounts under the same shipping address (since the codes seem to be one use per account)?
-can I ship multiple trade-in orders (w/their separate order slips, etc) in one box?

thanks! Kewl thread, bro!

[quote name='Toss']Yes I agree, these guys are okay if your transactions go through as planned. If you ever need to go through customer service these people are BITCHES. Their customer service SUCKS, especially in comparison with amazon, and don't request a supervisor - they're the biggest dicks. As far as keeping games for a month then sending them in, expecting that you "locked-in" a price...good luck. This company has it in the legal stuff you agree to that they can change a trade value any time they want , even after you send it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing this out, especially the fact that prices are not locked-in.

If I'm trading in just one game, do I need to use a box for UPS or would a bubble padded envelope work too? If not anyone know where I can get one for cheap, i remember UPS charged me like $3 for their smallest one before.

[quote name='sirplue']2 Q's:

-is it allowed to use multiple accounts under the same shipping address (since the codes seem to be one use per account)?
-can I ship multiple trade-in orders (w/their separate order slips, etc) in one box?

thanks! Kewl thread, bro![/QUOTE]

This maybe could go on the OP, Tuesday has historically been the TIV update day. You will notice that a lot of prices have changed.

I don't know the answer for the first question for sure, but I did setup multiple accounts when they had the glitch a month or two ago and had orders from both accounts canceled and credited with the promo code. Oddly enough, I used the promo code which was my email from one account on another non-matching account with no problems and great profit. I would say this is YMMV, but I wouldn't push it.

I have sent in multiple shipments in the same box with no problem. This can also be confirmed via customer service. As long as you have both invoices included you are okay.

For the other guy asking about bubble envelopes, if you only need one you could try Walmart/Target or a dollar store.

[quote name='converse']Turning Point tanked to $8 for anyone who didn't lock it in. They are slowly starting to catch on to their flips. A number of flips I had for them went away.[/QUOTE]

Haha down to $4 now. That's what I get for sharing I guess. Now I just hope they honor the $15 I was quoted yesterday when I send it in. Better do it fast I guess.

[quote name='MarcSparks']Haha down to $4 now. That's what I get for sharing I guess. Now I just hope they honor the $15 I was quoted yesterday when I send it in. Better do it fast I guess.[/QUOTE]

Sharing is always appreciated :D but I know I don't always disclose everything until I have my local supply tapped.

[quote name='Toss']As far as keeping games for a month then sending them in, expecting that you "locked-in" a price...good luck. This company has it in the legal stuff you agree to that they can change a trade value any time they want , even after you send it.
[/QUOTE]

THIS is what concerns me... Anyone else with a similar bad experience? I mean, going by common-sense, after I submit a trade with the stated value, I sure am expecting to get paid according to what they quoted and I accepted. To be able to change a TiV anytime, as the poster put it, means that we can never be sure what we sent in gets honored.

I would love to continue using Gazelle although I just got started on it, but if it's so iffy, I might just forget it altogether and save myself the suspence of not knowing whether I will be getting the credit I traded for...

[quote name='estofan']THIS is what concerns me... Anyone else with a similar bad experience? I mean, going by common-sense, after I submit a trade with the stated value, I sure am expecting to get paid according to what they quoted and I accepted. To be able to change a TiV anytime, as the poster put it, means that we can never be sure what we sent in gets honored.

I would love to continue using Gazelle although I just got started on it, but if it's so iffy, I might just forget it altogether and save myself the suspence of not knowing whether I will be getting the credit I traded for...[/QUOTE]

I've traded in over 50 titles and I have not had one single title even contested for quality as indicated (perfect) let alone an outright change of the TIV. At this point I am not concerned.

I'm thinking the legal verbiage is used to cover them if they don't agree with the condition of the submission. If you say perfect and it's poor, they have to have a legal clause giving them right to suggest a different price. At that, their site says that you have a period of time to refuse that and get your items returned.

Here are a couple of minor flips from GS, factor in your own sales tax, and payment for exact ratios:

PS3 Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge, $3.99 used, $4.00 Gazelle
PS2 Tsugani: Atonement, $3.99 used, $4.00 Gazelle
Xbox NHL Hitz 2003, $1.99 used, $2.00 Gazelle

I picked up a copy of Turning Point "NEW" at Gamestop. Stickers all over it. Fingerprints all over the disc.

thankfully i have a lot of Goo Gone.

[quote name='converse']I've traded in over 50 titles and I have not had one single title even contested for quality as indicated (perfect) let alone an outright change of the TIV. At this point I am not concerned.

I'm thinking the legal verbiage is used to cover them if they don't agree with the condition of the submission. If you say perfect and it's poor, they have to have a legal clause giving them right to suggest a different price. At that, their site says that you have a period of time to refuse that and get your items returned.[/QUOTE]

i sent in games and claimed 'good'. But they contested it and gave me 'perfect'. Those bastards! ;)

We should dig up some of our posts from the amazon thread. We had a lot of good info in there

Yeah, like I mentioned in the OP, they seem -very- lenient on condition.

Obviously, if you send in a trashed-up game, they ain't giving you no perfect. But if it's in good condition, saying it's perfect ain't too bad.

I'll try and dig up what I can. I have some mid-terms coming up though, so I'll still be a bit slow on updates.

hm so this is kind of weird, i sent my order out on 10/9, and today (10/14), i got an email saying that the order had been received and they will check the games out...and in the same email it says they verified the items and will be sending my gift card soon. last time i had to wait 4 days in between those two, so this whole transaction went surprisingly fast thus far.

[quote name='RedGamer']Yeah, like I mentioned in the OP, they seem -very- lenient on condition.

Obviously, if you send in a trashed-up game, they ain't giving you no perfect. But if it's in good condition, saying it's perfect ain't too bad.

I'll try and dig up what I can. I have some mid-terms coming up though, so I'll still be a bit slow on updates.[/QUOTE]

That's weird because every game I've sent in to them has been rated as good unless it was sealed. They never subtracted from the amount but I was still fairly peeved that they rated games I had opened and never even played as good.

[quote name='sabanoo']That's weird because every game I've sent in to them has been rated as good unless it was sealed. They never subtracted from the amount but I was still fairly peeved that they rated games I had opened and never even played as good.[/QUOTE]

I searched the thread and came up with jack, but do they flag you at all if you do send them sealed games? I ordered 3 games from Amazon's B2G1 with credit and figured I'd submit two of those to Gazelle for ~$80 Amazon credit (taking my third game down to ~$20).
I would be fairly peeved if they quoted me as Good (I put Perfect seeing as how these will be brand new games) when the only thing I would have done between the time I got it and the time I mailed it is removed the shrink wrap.

I have sent in 7 sealed games (first 2 orders detailed on 2nd post of this thread), and I just got emails today all 7 were accepted as perfect and to expect my gift certs in 2-5 days. I am loving gazelle!

I think Gazelle gave up on their TIV's because they seem to match Amazon's 100% now. Too bad, that was a well that I made a couple of bucks off of.

well i just received my credit for my order sent out on 10/9, making this trade take a total of 11 days, slightly faster then the first oen i did which took 15.

[quote name='wynams']Updated 2nd post in thread with massive Gazelle payout today[/QUOTE]

If $66 is a massive payout, then I really should be shy about my payouts from them.

I guess my philosophy is hit it hard and fast...before they wake up and see your face.

[quote name='converse']If $66 is a massive payout, then I really should be shy about my payouts from them.

I guess my philosophy is hit it hard and fast...before they wake up and see your face.[/QUOTE]

I had 4 payouts on 10/20 if you look a lil closer ... if $220 isn't massive I will use a different adjective.:lol:

bread's done
Back