Gazelle Trade-in FAQ and Discussion Thread

RedGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Gazelle.com

As the weeks have gone by, I have noticed discussion of Gazelle.com trade-in's within the Amazon Trade-in thread. I have decided to take it upon myself to create a thread solely for the purpose of discussing Gazelle.com and posting information pertaining to it.

This post will be updated to look.. spiffier with a full-fledged FAQ within a day or two, when I find the time.

For now, I'll list some basic information about Gazelle.com.

Credit Increases:

+5% Amazon Gift Card TIV: When trading in at Gazelle.com, if you choose Amazon Gift Card as your payment method, you will receive 5% more for your trade-in's.

Promotional Codes (entered during Checkout) ALL CODES ARE ONE-USE PER ACCOUNT, DO NOT STACK:
gazellebonuscode.jpg

*Credit to no_exit for above picture.

Flipping to Gazelle

Flipping refers to buying items at one place and trading in or selling them elsewhere at a profit (however, sometimes it is done to transfer credit from one place into credit at another or pure cash.)

FAQ

Q) What is Gazelle.com?

A) Gazelle.com is a site where one can trade in items ranging from Electronics to Video Games to Cell phones.

Q) Are there TIV's any good?

A) Some of their TIV's are -very- good, some are average and, like any other trade-in site or establishment, some trade-in values are poor.

However, from my experience and from the experience of other CAG members, I'd say the TIV's are above-average. Especially when one takes into account promotional codes or the +5% Amazon Gift Card TIV. To note, they seem to match Amazon.com's trade-in values on video games. However, they lag behind by around a day or two. So if a value plummets on Amazon, you can still lock it in at Gazelle.

Q) Is Gazelle.com a reliable place to trade-in games?

A) Many members of CAG have used Gazelle for trading in un-needed items and have had good experiences.

TIMING

Q) How long do I have to send in my items?
A) You have 30 days to get your item postmarked according to Gazelle. Don’t always wait because they won’t want to continue to offer 30 days if everyone takes that long & your post office may not want to send your stuff out.

Q) What happens if I send the item after 30 days?
A) You get the TIV as of that day.

Q) How long does it take to ship to Gazelle?
A) From West Coast up to 3-8+ days, usually about 6. From East Coast about the same, though frequently a day or two faster.

Q) How long does it take them to verify the item’s condition?
A) A few days, but can take longer.

Q) How long does it take to receive Paypal/AMZ credit email after item is approved?
A) Usually 1-4 days, but can take up to 10.

Q) I submitted a game but it did not show up on gazelle or email me...
A) It can take up to 24 hours for it to show up, but it's usually less than a minute.

SHIPPING

Q) Who pays to ship to Gazelle?
A) Gazelle pays.

Q) Do they give you a box?
A) If you want one but only for orders that have ~3-6 games (forget exact amount), they will mail you a priority mail box (but they give you parcel post label…). The box will arrive in ~3 days-1.5 weeks.

Q) Why did I get an email saying I’ll get a box when I did not request one?
A) When you delete games from a large order it will then default to giving you a box. Just un-request it.

Q) Can I cancel a shipment after I get a box?
A) Yes, but don’t abuse this or face possible sanction.

Q) Does Gazelle insure your shipment?
A) They claim they do, but no one has run into this problem yet.

Q) Shipping label does not fit on box, what do I do?
A) Set your printer to print 5x8 postcard and this will work fine & fit bubble mailers.

Q) Should I open my games before sending in if they’re new?
A) Does not matter.

Q) Why was it delivered to Cockeysville instead of Hunt Valley, MD?
A) They get them shipped to both of these addresses, which are streets away from each other.

WHAT TO INCLUDE/CONDITION

Q) Do I need to send the instruction manual?
A) No, but again don’t send everything without manuals if you want this policy to stay the same.

Q) Can I print out my own cover art or use generic?
A) Yes, possibly YMMV, again don’t abuse, and try to send cover art that has UPC label that matches the UPC for the game. To check this punch the UPC into Amazon searchbox.

Q) Will they take games without UPC Label on artwork and still give you full value?
A) Yes, YMMV though, as 2 people had this work but both sent in sealed games.

Q) Can I use a generic case?
A) YMMV, again don’t abuse.

Q) How picky are they over game condition?
A) Less picky than Amazon.

MISCELLANEOUS

Q) If I reject the new TIV they give me who pays to ship it back?
A) You do.

Q) How does Amazon credit get sent?
A) You will get a redeemable code much like an Xbox Live or PSN network DLC code. You just redeem that as a gift card on Amazon.

Q) Can I cancel games that I submitted on their site?
A) Yes, you can cancel games individually without the values of the others affected.
*credit to J7.

TC Notes: Please post about your experiences with Gazelle or anything else you think should be added to this post, I'm always up for more information. I apologize for not keeping it as up to date as I should.

~Thanks, RedGamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']Not because of ebay. But because that's just killing the TIV for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I do have my selfish side when it comes to flipping. However, I was also the person that suggested a remedy to that very issue, so I'm not heartless about it. It's a form of hoarding, and while some people act holier than thou about such activity, I'm not going to apologize for something that people have equal access to. I'm not going to get in a moral battle over this though, so I probably should just leave it at that. You can have the last word, I'm sure you'll take it.

[quote name='converse']I do have my selfish side when it comes to flipping. However, I was also the person that suggested a remedy to that very issue, so I'm not heartless about it. It's a form of hoarding, and while some people act holier than thou about such activity, I'm not going to apologize for something that people have equal access to. I'm not going to get in a moral battle over this though, so I probably should just leave it at that. You can have the last word, I'm sure you'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you there. Everyone can work for it if they choose to. My wife lets me indulge in this "hobby" of mine as it keeps me out of trouble. :cool:

On a different note though has anyone else noticed the drop in TIVs from Gazelle. Was gonna send a few things, but ended up going with NorAm/Amazon as their prices were about $6-$8 higher.

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Totally agree with you there. Everyone can work for it if they choose to. My wife lets me indulge in this "hobby" of mine as it keeps me out of trouble. :cool:

On a different note though has anyone else noticed the drop in TIVs from Gazelle. Was gonna send a few things, but ended up going with NorAm/Amazon as their prices were about $6-$8 higher.[/QUOTE]

Yes Protoype ps3 dropped 6 bucks in the last few days. Amazon Noram has had fairly decent TIVs recently. I guess because of the lack of trade in promos these days.

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Totally agree with you there. Everyone can work for it if they choose to. My wife lets me indulge in this "hobby" of mine as it keeps me out of trouble. :cool:

On a different note though has anyone else noticed the drop in TIVs from Gazelle. Was gonna send a few things, but ended up going with NorAm/Amazon as their prices were about $6-$8 higher.[/QUOTE]

LOL, same here. The girlfriend thinks it's better that I spend my cash on games as opposed to weed and booze. :lol:

And to respond to your second part.. I think it's just on a case by case basis. For example, X-Men Origins Wolverine is being accepted for ~$18.75 at Amazon while at Gazelle, they were giving out ~$20 ($21 with 5% boost). I locked in this value for two copies and with the TWEET code, I'm gonna be getting $44 for ~$22 spent.

This is one of my larger trade ins to Gazelle where they've even offered to send me a box so I'll keep this thread updated.

Another good flip is Chaos Wars for $10.xx from GameStop. Gazelle is giving out $13 for them, and of course, a buck or two more with the proper codes. Not the best ratio, but meh, it's a good filler to throw in if you're trying to get a free box.

FYI, you can get the free USPS box by visiting the post office too. I know it's not as convenient, but for those that are using that option...the labels are nice though. I prefer UPS because of the free tracking and less lines.

I haven't checked a couple of these this past week, but here are some other decent flips.

Kmart has Star Ocean (360) for $14.97, $16 TIV @ Gazelle
GS has Steambot Chronicles Battle Tournement (PSP) for $8.99 used, $9 TIV @ Gazelle

Both can make you a couple of bucks if you can stack with coupons or discounts.

[quote name='Japakneez']i believe all the gazelle codes released thus far have been one-time use only[/QUOTE]

I actually meant if we had to meet a trade-in quota before the coupon would apply. I haven't used the code yet.

I'm kind of confused right now. My trade in somehow made it to Alaska. I was using one of those priority boxes that was sent to me by Gazelle themselves.

Label/Receipt Number: ----
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™/Merch. Return

Your item was processed through and left our ANCHORAGE, AK 99530 facility on November 22, 2009. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, November 22, 2009, 12:58 am, ANCHORAGE, AK 99530
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, November 19, 2009, 7:48 pm, ANAHEIM, CA 92899
Thoughts? Comments?

[quote name='mis0']I'm kind of confused right now. My trade in somehow made it to Alaska. I was using one of those priority boxes that was sent to me by Gazelle themselves.

Your item was processed through and left our ANCHORAGE, AK 99530 facility on November 22, 2009. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, November 22, 2009, 12:58 am, ANCHORAGE, AK 99530
bullet_circle.gif
Thoughts? Comments?
[/QUOTE]

Your games might be a bit cold when they finally arrive in Boston.
This is USPS at its best! I've seen stuff ship from the state next to me and head out to the west coast before coming all the way back. Not quite as bad as going to AK but even games deserve a little vacation sometimes...? I've heard they have nice cruises in Alaska so maybe that's what they had planned.

[quote name='mis0']I'm kind of confused right now. My trade in somehow made it to Alaska. I was using one of those priority boxes that was sent to me by Gazelle themselves.

Detailed Results:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Thoughts? Comments?
[/QUOTE]
Nice!

I've had stuff like this happen to me before as well. Sometime the USPS get s bit confused. No need to worry, the package will eventually find it's way to Gazelle. It just took the scenic route and will take a little longer than normal.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Fair warning.

They work really, really slow in general. Longer if you ask for Amazon gift card.[/QUOTE]

It's been over two weeks now since I submitted my trade and still no funds deposited :cry: Gazelle did write saying they received the games and everything checks out. I chose PayPal for the cash and the date on my account page where the funds will be deposited into my PP account is mid-Dec!!! :bomb:

[quote name='estofan']It's been over two weeks now since I submitted my trade and still no funds deposited :cry: Gazelle did write saying they received the games and everything checks out. I chose PayPal for the cash and the date on my account page where the funds will be deposited into my PP account is mid-Dec!!! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It's the nature of doing business with them. I found receiving a check was actually quicker than doing PayPal, so you might want to try that avenue. Speed has never been Gazelle's game, oddly enough -- talk about poorly naming your company versus actual performance. Maybe it's a tongue-in-cheek reference.

I've had over $2,000 in trades with Gazelle since July, and I've always gotten my money or credit within 1 month of sending the trade, but sometimes they do challenge that.

I just completed my first trade with them - traded in my old Canon S200 digital camera - and was surprised with the quick turnaround. I submitted the trade on the 19th, send out on the 20th and received a confirmation e-mail from them on 23rd that they had received, checked out on the 24th and received my Amazon credit on the 27th - just in time for Black Friday. Maybe turnaround depends on if you're a new user or not (faster turnaround for new members hoping for continued business) or whatever product you're trading in.

Both my recent trades have been super fast, other than the fact I hate their obnoxious click these 10 buttons to get a quote, I'm quite happy so far.

[quote name='MarcSparks']Good luck to anyone who can find this, because I can't, but the TIV for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 Special Edition (Platinum Hits) for 360 is $70! :hot:

I assume that's a $30 MSRP game if you can find it out there. Must be super rare though, since nobody on or off line seems to have it.[/QUOTE]I appreciated the heads up on this title man, I have long cashed out on 5 of these, all for full price but one which was downgraded to good, thank you. ;)

Just a heads up,
TIV of Dissidia Final Fantasy is $17 Amazon price $15
TIV of rhythm heaven is $10 Amazon price $10
Some amazon credit to cash converters. They're not that great but hey, its something.

They accepted my Rock Band Country Track Pack for $14, then looked a couple weeks ago to see what the status on my check was and saw that it said they recycled it for some reason...

Sent an e-mail and got a response saying they'd get back to me in a couple days. Then took them a week and I started seeing random games being traded in, so I'd cancel them cause I knew I wasn't trading in random Modern Warfare 2's for PS3. So week goes by and I e-mail them again, then they say they're going to put in a dummy trade to get the $14 check mailed. They're usually pretty good at communicating, but not sure if they would of told me that they were the one's putting in the dummy trades if I didn't ask what was going on.

First bump in the road I've ever come across with Gazelle, at least they fixed it though.

[quote name='whatup5']Just a heads up,
TIV of Dissidia Final Fantasy is $17 Amazon price $15
TIV of rhythm heaven is $10 Amazon price $10
Some amazon credit to cash converters. They're not that great but hey, its something.[/QUOTE]
So either someone loaded up on trades to Gazelle dropping the TIV or Gazelle is watching. I somehow have a hard time believing that Gazelle is watching the Amazon prices so much given I've had a number of profitable flips in the past week Amazon>>Gazelle.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Giving them a shot. $25 for Persona PSP with TWEET09 for something that cost me $5 is not too shabby![/QUOTE]

They must be watching....just checked persona psp 10 am pst quoted $7.

As long as they don't mess with Wii New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis, it's @ $11 right now you can buy it for less than that. I'm going to lock that in so I can get some extra cash.

[quote name='Toss']They must be watching....just checked persona psp 10 am pst quoted $7.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='converse']As long as they don't mess with Wii New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis, it's @ $11 right now you can buy it for less than that. I'm going to lock that in so I can get some extra cash.[/QUOTE]

Obviously they are, in that time the price just dropped to $5.

P.S. Tell Yuri to call me back, you can only find so many by cherry picking.

[quote name='converse']Hopefully they don't find out about
Playstation 3 Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge[/QUOTE]

Dont think they will change it since the game is still selling for $20 on ebay

[quote name='converse']Hopefully they don't find out about
Playstation 3 Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope the TIV for
Xbox Barbie Horse Adventures Wild Horse Rescue

stays solid...

[quote name='62t']Dont think they will change it since the game is still selling for $20 on ebay[/QUOTE]

Probably true, but now I'm just taking it as a joke that they are watching.

[quote name='jraypeon']Yeah I hope the TIV for
Xbox Barbie Horse Adventures Wild Horse Rescue

stays solid...[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows October 2009 was when that game peaked ;)

[quote name='llNorcalSharkll']Gazelle just sent out $5 trade in bonus coupons valid through Feb 10, any worthwhile flips at the moment?[/QUOTE]

where can i get these coupons?

Don't think it works on games.

Getting a "Unfortunately this box is not eligible for the code you entered" error when clicking the check your code button.

Tried it just putting a random console system in for trade and it says valid.

[quote name='llNorcalSharkll']Not sure if the coupons are account specific, I wouldn't think so, anyway, here's the Bonus code: HappyHolidays[/QUOTE]
It said it expires on 2/10/10 too. I'm going to try it on my next order, but I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Just got 2 of the same codes in the mail today. "HappyHolidays" is a go until 2/10/10. Adds $5 to your trade. Can use once per account.

Talking to customer service online now and they said the promo code does not apply to video games or movies...

Guys, the shipping label for the outside of the box. Do we have to keep the Gazelle logo and random barcode on it, or do we just cut out the small part that is identical to Amazon's pre-paid UPS shipping label. Without trimming it down, it's about a 10 x 7.5 piece of paper as opposed to a small label. Thanks in advance.

I cut out the barcode when I use their UPS shipping.

On a separate note, I hardly use UPS, have traded in games probably twice with gazelle using UPS. Not even sure if I tracked it at all as it made it's way to gazelle since gazelle can be pretty slow so I usually way patiently for my gift cards in the mail. However I dropped of a box at mailboxes etc last Monday, tried tracking it today and all it says is billing information has been sent to UPS.

Is UPS known to be pretty slow in updating tracking information? Kinda getting nervous here, think it was due on the 7th...

[quote name='nekromantix']I cut out the barcode when I use their UPS shipping.

On a separate note, I hardly use UPS, have traded in games probably twice with gazelle using UPS. Not even sure if I tracked it at all as it made it's way to gazelle since gazelle can be pretty slow so I usually way patiently for my gift cards in the mail. However I dropped of a box at mailboxes etc last Monday, tried tracking it today and all it says is billing information has been sent to UPS.

Is UPS known to be pretty slow in updating tracking information? Kinda getting nervous here, think it was due on the 7th...[/QUOTE]UPS is very consistent with posting all their tracking information, even if the initial drop off, or pick up scan is missed by the employee or driver it should be scanned by the time it reaches the local facility or regional hub. what does your tracking info say? maybe the package was missed or misplaced at mailboxes or even at UPS's local facility.

[quote name='llNorcalSharkll']UPS is very consistent with posting all their tracking information, even if the initial drop off, or pick up scan is missed by the employee or driver it should be scanned by the time it reaches the local facility or regional hub. what does your tracking info say? maybe the package was missed or misplaced at mailboxes or even at UPS's local facility.[/QUOTE]

Ended up in Massachusetts today, first update on the tracking was it's out for delivery.

All it was saying was billing information has been sent, contact shipper for more information before today.

I was going to trade my copy of Rayman Raving Rabbids Wii into Gamestop with the 30% bonus, but see that Gazelle gives $9 base, plus 5% for amazon gift card and another 5% for TWEET10, so $9.90. Can't beat that. Actually, I'm bummed that they ship via UPS now (maybe always?) Taking it to a UPS drop off location is a pain. Or can I get UPS to come pick it up at my door somehow?

Anybody run into this yet: Had a box delivered in two days. It only had 2 games in it. The next day it was updated to "we received your item and are getting ready to inspect it." The next day they inspected 1 of my 2 games. Since then I have already received the payment via pay pal for the one game, but the other game is STILL listed as "we received your item and are getting ready to inspect it."

bread's done
Back