Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

[quote name='drktrpr1']I've got a shit ton of Amazon credit, will the retro lancer be available anywhere besides Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

I Don't think so. It's says GameStop Exclusive! I did the samething... I traded some games in for Amazon credit thinking that they would have something cool again like they did with GOW2. but they didn't get it this time.

[quote name='popular penguin']Don't waste your time with the retarded employees, dood. Ask for the manager of the store. He/She should be aware of such promotions and products.[/QUOTE]

The Store Manager was not on duty. my gamestop is small. only 3 people work in the store!

Great article on IGN regards to the aftermath of the Beta. Things of note:

New versions of Trenches and Trashball!!!!

Rod: One of the things that happened pretty early on Thrashball and Trenches was that people were getting trapped in the spawn areas and feeling like they were being spawn-camped. That was something Jim jumped on really quickly and we have new versions of Thrashball and Trenches today that account for that. We weren't able to roll out new maps into the beta to say 'here's that change.'

Easter eggs...

IGN: It seems like every map has little secrets, from the fire alarm on Checkout to the more obvious scoreboard on Thrashball. Were there any aspects like that where only a few players discovered it or players missed something entirely?

Rod: Absolutely. That fire alarm thing on Checkout is part one of about a ten step process to find the real Easter Egg. There's lots of subtle stuff in there too that people may or may not ever get.

Wonder what it is.

------

Mutators!

IGN: Have we seen the last of Big Head mode?

Rod: You have not, indeed, seen the last of Big Head mode. What we wanted to show with that actually is Mutators in Gears of War 3 is something we wanted to enable for cooperative play. We learned from Unreal Tournament that if you allow it to happen all the time the person who gets online and wants to play a normal game gets into low-grav insta-gib. What we wanted to do was friends playing with friends is where they control the changes and that kind of stuff.

You can earn and unlock Mutators that you can apply to Horde and apply to Arcade. The majority of those Mutators we are able to turn on for multiplayer at our discretion. It allows us to create those kind of special events, what Cliff likes to call 'being a dungeon master.' We're able to go in and say 'oh this weekend we're going to turn on Big Head or rabbit ears.' We wanted to make Gears 3 to be a lot more interactive with the community and not just be about changing the horde wave creatures or upping the experience curve. We wanted to find new and different ways to interact with our audience as well.

Jim: I think we have a couple really good surprises we're holding under our belt for future special events.

Overall good read...check out the full article here:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1170246p1.html

The Sawed-Off, for me, leveled the playing field. I could go in and get my share of the kills and have a great time doing it without upsetting the balance.

LMAO Yeah right. Sawed off didnt level anything, it made noobs too overpowered. I still hate that gun, its the one thing i really hated about the beta.

We got rid of the two ribbons of killing a guy 25 levels above you and 50 levels over you. Just because, there are other people like Jim who are completionists that are highly offended by the notion that if they started day one and were reasonably good, there would never be anyone 25 or 50 levels above them.

Good to see those changes.

[quote name='The 7th Number']LMAO Yeah right. Sawed off didnt level anything, it made noobs too overpowered.[/QUOTE]

How is making noobs overpowered not leveling the playing field? That's exactly what leveling the playing field is--enabling those who aren't as good to still compete instead of getting completely destroyed.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']How is making noobs overpowered not leveling the playing field? That's exactly what leveling the playing field is--enabling those who aren't as good to still compete instead of getting completely destroyed.[/QUOTE]

They made them TOO good. They can just rush anyone half the time and down them/kill them, no matter how good the opponent is. Especially when they always sneek up from behind. Not only that, the noob gun in the hands of someone who is actually good makes it even worse.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']How is making noobs overpowered not leveling the playing field? That's exactly what leveling the playing field is--enabling those who aren't as good to still compete instead of getting completely destroyed.[/QUOTE]

The sawed off shotgun's purpose was to allow noobs to challenge gnasher pros, hence, leveling the playing field. That's all fine and dandy, but what if the gnasher pros get a hold of the power of the sawed off? Oh snap! Tons of players switched to the sawed off because in a battle between the two shotguns, the sawed off usually won. Heck, even I, a Gears vet, used the sawed off over the gnasher. Why would you use a weaker weapon?

[quote name='popular penguin']The sawed off shotgun's purpose was to allow noobs to challenge gnasher pros, hence, leveling the playing field. That's all fine and dandy, but what if the gnasher pros get a hold of the power of the sawed off? Oh snap! Tons of players switched to the sawed off because in a battle between the two shotguns, the sawed off usually won. Heck, even I, a Gears vet, used the sawed off over the gnasher. Why would you use a weaker weapon?[/QUOTE]

Reduce the Sawed-off's power (but not range) by 15% and you've got a great game. Balance between lancer, retro lancer and hammerburst is PERFECT.

I suck at Gears. I mean SUCK. But in the Gears 3 beta I could actually pull my weight on the team thanks to the sawed off. A noob like me can do much better using a sawed off, even when a vet is also using a sawed off. In other words:

Noob w/ gnasher vs Vet w/ gnasher= Noob is destroyed
Noob w/ sawed off vs Vet w/ sawed off= Noob has a fighting chance.

A guy like me could actually get a few kills in the beta instead of just dying constantly. In my own experience, it most definitely leveled the playing field. That doesn't mean suddenly I'm Rambo incarnate, it means I can get online and actually enjoy myself instead of getting constantly owned.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Reduce the Sawed-off's power (but not range) by 15% and you've got a great game. Balance between lancer, retro lancer and hammerburst is PERFECT.[/QUOTE]

no, I feel the retro lancer needs an overhaul too and/or slight reduce in firepower/damage.

There is an interview on IGN with 2 guys from Epic. The one guy said he has played ungoldy amounts of Gears multiplayer and has never been able to get one kill shots with the gnasher. He said the sawed off helps balance that for him. The negetive of course is the extremely slow reload and limited ammo of the sawed off.

This was how I was. I haven't played a ton of Gears MP, but I was never able to get kills with the gnasher. It drove me nuts to constantly get killed by these guys with it, but I was worthless with it.

If I was good with the gnasher, I'd rather use it than the sawed off. You can get off quick shots and it has an effect at distance.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']I suck at Gears. I mean SUCK. But in the Gears 3 beta I could actually pull my weight on the team thanks to the sawed off. A noob like me can do much better using a sawed off, even when a vet is also using a sawed off. In other words:

A guy like me could actually get a few kills in the beta instead of just dying constantly. In my own experience, it most definitely leveled the playing field. That doesn't mean suddenly I'm Rambo incarnate, it means I can get online and actually enjoy myself instead of getting constantly owned.[/QUOTE]
didn't know you posted here

Rod: If I were to pick my thing, it was that sort of uniform reaction that every weapon in the beta was overpowered. We were having a meeting in my office and I got a tweet as the meeting was going on that said 'the flame grenades are overpowered' and I said, 'that's it, it's official, every weapon in our beta is now overpowered.' We're the ones that have to bring the logic, we're the ones that have the rational and reasonable thinking because what's happening is that the person who's a Gnasher player complains that every rifle is overpowered because someone is actually able to get a kill.

I was talking to a guy about this where he was saying a friend of his was complaining how horribly broken the Retro Lancer and Sawed-Off Shotgun are. He was like 'really?' 'Yeah, come and watch I want to show you how broken these weapons are.' He begins this rampage where he kills seven guys and one guy shoots him and after seven kills he dies once. 'See that? &*$% Sawed-Off shotgun. I hate that weapon.' Then he goes again and kills nine guys, then after nine kills in a row he gets killed by a guy with a Retro Lancer and says, 'see told you! Look how broken it is.' It's that kind of perception. 'Nothing should kill me if my play style is supposed to be successful.' So the Gnasher guys are all, 'that rifle sucks' and all the rifle guys are like, 'the Gnasher sucks.' There was no overwhelming message of 'oh, obviously we have to change something' it was 'wow, you really have to take into perspective the context of how people play.'

LOL. A decent summary of most complaints I see concerning weapon balance these days. The only weapon I have issue with is the Retro, but that is entirely due to bullet spread (or lack there of before a reload is necessary). It's the primary reason why blind fire strafing was so successful in the games I played. Rarely had issues with long range downing as well because of it. The blast radius of Frag Grenades could easily use some tweaking too. Way too generous but I don't expect either to change at launch so I know exactly what I'm getting into and couldn't care less because servers even the playing field. I just wish I had something besides its horrid predecessor and a collection of old games to keep me preoccupied at home. This is going to be the most boring summer for gaming I've ever known.

My wife is going to kill me, but I preordered the Epic/Retro Lancer bundle from gamestop. I had the limited edition bundle in the cart but had one of those "in for a penny, in for a pound" moments where it wouldn't really matter how much I spent on the game...the wife was just going to see her husband spending too much money on a toy gun.

Kind of regretting not getting a replica lancer when i had the chance way back when =/ ahh well

$100 is a bit much for a toy gun that will collect dust in my room. I think it looks cool, but I don't see myself using it unless I'm a Gears cosplayer (which I'm not).

[quote name='The 7th Number']They made them TOO good. They can just rush anyone half the time and down them/kill them, no matter how good the opponent is. Especially when they always sneek up from behind. Not only that, the noob gun in the hands of someone who is actually good makes it even worse.[/QUOTE]

If you're frequently getting killed by people sneaking up behind you, the problem isn't the "noobs" or their guns.

I'm of the belief they need to do some weapon tweaks as well. The immediate thing is getting rid of the ability to down with the Sawed Off. It's really lame. Epic themselves said it's an up close all or nothing weapon, which is what it SHOULD be, but it's not currently that. If you're out of range and get the opponent near the center of your reticule, you can down them from a fairly long range with the Sawed Off.

They also need to lower the hip fire accuracy of the Retro Lancer. It got to the point during the last week or so during the beta that no one was even engaging in Gnasher battles, but rather praying and spraying from the hip with the Plancer and actually winning.

If they do something about those 2 issues, I'll be a happy camper come September. If not, I'll just deal with it like I did with the issues that existed with Gears 2 when it launched.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']I suck at Gears. I mean SUCK. But in the Gears 3 beta I could actually pull my weight on the team thanks to the sawed off. A noob like me can do much better using a sawed off, even when a vet is also using a sawed off. In other words:

A guy like me could actually get a few kills in the beta instead of just dying constantly. In my own experience, it most definitely leveled the playing field. That doesn't mean suddenly I'm Rambo incarnate, it means I can get online and actually enjoy myself instead of getting constantly owned.[/QUOTE]

If you suck as much as you claim you do then the DBS won't help you, you were probably playing against people who are worse than you are.

The "Vets" won't get into shotgun fights with you knowing you have DBS and if they played a few rounds before against you, they'll already know you don't know how to play, hence they will shoot at you from range while you helplessly try and close the distance only to shoot way too soon with the DBS and get downed from range by the HB/Retro/Lancer/Gnasher/Any other gun.

The DBS won't help the noobs, it's just a pity weapon to pad sales, the noobs will still get dominated in this game when it ships and if they REALLY wanted to "level the playing field" they'd make a better matchmaking system.

Not trying to insult anyone but it's the truth, Gears has NEVER, NEVER, been a casual franchise.

• 1.29M people participated in the Beta
  • 145 different countries participated in the beta
  • 249 years worth of matches played
  • More than 11 million matches completed
  • More than 927 million kills recorded
  • More than 131 million executions performed
  • More than 23 million deaths by chainsaw
  • Nearly 23 BILLION bullets fired
  • 4.9B ribbons and 291M medals earned
  • 435K people earned the Beta exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game when it launches in September
  • 234K people earned the Beta exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game when it launches in September
I am Shocked at how many people didn't get the Gold Retro Lancer. I Think they will make the Gold Guns carry over form GOW2.
So Where is everyone going to Pre-order Gears so they can get which skin?
Looks like you will not be able to unlock in the game.

GAMESTOP BESTBUY
AMAZON.COM WALMART

Walmart's looking like the place for me at the moment, lookit that juggernaut. Awesome.

That or BestBuy, I'm kind of digging the Borderlands Baird. That's a catchy name right there.

I have it on preorder from Amazon. I don't typically care about preorder bonuses. Amazon has a $20 future credit, no tax and release day shipping. That's all I need.

Amazon for me, $20 credit plus ECA discount from way back when. I only see myself playing as Marcus or Anya in multiplayer, so I don't know what I'll do with the Kantus skin, maybe try and trade it.

I have to agree with the general consensus that the Savage Grenadier is the only one worth dropping a pre-order for anywhere, but I'll gladly pass. I'm content enough knowing the blinged out version of Cole is a no strings attached unlockable. Between him, the COG females and the Queen's TMNT Shredder-esque armor I don't want nor need anything else.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Amazon for me, $20 credit plus ECA discount from way back when. I only see myself playing as Marcus or Anya in multiplayer, so I don't know what I'll do with the Kantus skin, maybe try and trade it.[/QUOTE]

You cant play as COG every game. Which is why i want the walmart one. That skin is the best Locust skin i think. As for COG ill probably play as Sam, or someone else. Those skins dont really add anyone new, just a different version. Which isnt as cool as the Locust pre order skins.

[quote name='The 7th Number']You cant play as COG every game.[/QUOTE]
That's true... I generally stick to Horde but I will need a go-to Locust skin for the odd multiplayer match...

[quote name='hustletron']
The DBS won't help the noobs, it's just a pity weapon to pad sales, the noobs will still get dominated in this game when it ships and if they REALLY wanted to "level the playing field" they'd make a better matchmaking system.

Not trying to insult anyone but it's the truth, Gears has NEVER, NEVER, been a casual franchise.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall anyone, including me, ever saying noobs could suddenly compete on the same level as vets. My experience is that I do significantly better than before. Do I still get dominated? Yes. Do I still get dominated to the same degree as before? Nope. Something has changed, which has caused me to get significantly more kills than I used ti. I guess you could be correct about the level of people I played against, but I find that hard to believe I played against people that worse than me throughout the entire beta. I guess when the game is released I'll know for sure.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']I don't recall anyone, including me, ever saying noobs could suddenly compete on the same level as vets. My experience is that I do significantly better than before. Do I still get dominated? Yes. Do I still get dominated to the same degree as before? Nope. Something has changed, which has caused me to get significantly more kills than I used ti. I guess you could be correct about the level of people I played against, but I find that hard to believe I played against people that worse than me throughout the entire beta. I guess when the game is released I'll know for sure.[/QUOTE]
What changed is better connection. GOW 2 you were at the mercy of an unknown host.

[quote name='CliffyB']Hipfire kick on the retro has been changed to kick an insane amount now. Good luck hitting anything not right on top of you with it in the retail.[/QUOTE]

Now that is what the fuck I'm talking about. Get rid of or tweak the damn Mantle Kick next and my respect level for that man will reach 9,000. Somewhere in America a huge chunk of the scrub population is crying tears of scarlet right now.

Now just do something about the sawed off. Or have some kind of hardcore playlist where its just gnashers and hammerbursts along with pickup power weapons.

Oh yeah almost forgot about mantle kick. Fix thats so you dont get kicked when you are 5 feet or more behind the barrier, or 3 feet to the side of where they are jumping from.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Now that is what the fuck I'm talking about. Get rid of or tweak the damn Mantle Kick next and my respect level for that man will reach 9,000. Somewhere in America a huge chunk of the scrub population is crying tears of scarlet right now.[/QUOTE]

It's unfortunate that people see problems with the Retro and the Sawed off but don't mention the Gnasher at all.

Gnashers range is the only thing i can think of. The inconsistency with point blank kills with the shotguns i think is more of a lag problem than problem with the guns.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Gnashers range is the only thing i can think of. The inconsistency with point blank kills with the shotguns i think is more of a lag problem than problem with the guns.[/QUOTE]

Range and consistency. I would go along with lag in Gears 1 or 2, but not this time.

[quote name='Trakan']It's unfortunate that people see problems with the Retro and the Sawed off but don't mention the Gnasher at all.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. It wasn't until the tail end of the beta that most of the few noted complaints here were brought to light on my screen. The reason for the unanimous silence however is sort of obvious (especially for veterans) when you think about it. It's only natural for dedicated fans who spent years at the mercy of bullet lag in a hostile connection > skill environment where luck or blatant cheating reign supreme to let ANY sort of palpable solution dwarf everything else. Then there's the fact that I switched primaries early on so I could only provide commentary from a Sawed-off+Retro vs. perspective. What I did see when I switched back for the last week didn't please me at all that's for sure.

Another reason fans should be wise not to expect any dynamic pre-launch tweaking is because of Jim's comments on player attitudes combined with the existence of the Sawed-off itself. There are plenty of stubborn veterans who refuse to evolve past their lone wolf "blind rush" MO expecting the developers to hold their hands in every situation via bullshit balance patches. All because now their precious special snowflake of a shotgun isn't the alpha standard anymore along with the absence of host bridging to irrefutably rule everything else in close quarter combat. Actual ability, adaptation, practice, teamwork, common sense? Tch, god forbid that shit.

Just apologize for injecting more skill and balance into your game while decreasing my access to Adantinum laced Lag Armor and Host Power Cosmic thus proving once and for all why I was such a beast in the last game! I can barely kill anyone now and it's not because the net code and my sub par connection were overcompensating! I know I'm good; it's these new weapons that are overpowered! Nothing should beat my Gnasher EVER! Not proper aim, teamwork, years of experience, or a solid tactical edge! It's special! It was bathed in the blood of a thousand angels! Stacey Dash gave birth to it! I can't even see the screen because of these stupid tears in my eyes! This is YOUR fault. Instantly gratify me now for just playing your game! You owe me! [/psychotic fan entitlement tirade]

...It's fucking pathetic.

The problem is there ARE actual tweaks that should be done to the beta Gnasher and it's those morons who will certainly delay this from happening much sooner than they should. The gun's actives pack way more of a punch than they should at mid and long ranges. Not to mention head popping requires nothing more than firing your weapon at any random body part or object nearest your opponent. The end result is a gun with a reasonable amount of room for improvement. The latter made Gnasher Vs. Gnasher an utter headache for me and a trip STRAIGHT down memory lane when the servers were off. You were right in that servers don't fix everything - proper net code and testing does.

I'm convinced at first this was their way to give Gnasher users a fair shake at close range against Sawed-off users, but THEY DON'T NEED ONE BECAUSE THEIR GUN HAS MORE AMMO, STRONGER ACTIVES AND IS ALREADY VIABLE AT RANGES OURS AREN'T. Any Gnasher user with a fully functional brain can troll us with ease until we answer back with a rifle, distraction, power weapon, 'nade or a flanking route as it should be. If we roll up on you unaware and we don't miss, that should be your ass. If you rush us down and we don't miss, that should be your ass. If you forget to check your corners while rolling/running/walking/breathing and we don't miss, that should be your ass. End of discussion.

It's whatever though because I don't plan on using one myself unless I'm out of SOS ammo. I'm still going to be a nightmare for randoms to deal with come launch. There are a few host bridging clans I'm looking forward to f*cking up and waiting for excuses, no question. After playing GoW 2 again for a couple of weeks now the rage from bullshit deaths I could do absolutely nothing about is coming back and I plan to take it out on every person within eye sight come Sept. I can't wait.

I do believe the gnasher's range should be shortened. I have never seen a shotgun dominate so much in any other game... except for the akimbo 87s in MW2 (that shit had range).

This is more of a pet peeve than a complaint but, I wish the gnasher bullet spread is not so precise. I think the gnasher shots should spread Gears 1 style (more scattered/random). It bothers me how the gnasher shoots in a precise square-like shape every time. It's a shotgun for crying out loud, the bullet spread should be random.

Stacy Dash? I feel like a flashback to 1993.

I don't mind any of the weapons, as long as they function like they should. I got taken out by sawed off's at distances that I could never hit with. I want consistency. I already see the difference in my 'skill' level, I managed a lot more kills in the Beta than I did in Gears 2, which kept me from playing multiplayer and mainly in Horde mode. I was rarely the low man on the scrotum pole, I could MVP more than every once in a great while. I would like the sawed off to have a little bit of a kick so that you can't literally run, shoot, run and not break stride. That was the only thing that seemed crappy because that's a guaranteed one shot kill and that's the only weapon that does that.

[quote name='popular penguin']I have never seen a shotgun dominate so much in any other game... [/QUOTE]You ever play gow before?

[quote name='Redeema']Stacy Dash? I feel like a flashback to 1993.

I don't mind any of the weapons, as long as they function like they should. I got taken out by sawed off's at distances that I could never hit with. I want consistency. I already see the difference in my 'skill' level, I managed a lot more kills in the Beta than I did in Gears 2, which kept me from playing multiplayer and mainly in Horde mode. I was rarely the low man on the scrotum pole, I could MVP more than every once in a great while. I would like the sawed off to have a little bit of a kick so that you can't literally run, shoot, run and not break stride. That was the only thing that seemed crappy because that's a guaranteed one shot kill and that's the only weapon that does that.[/QUOTE]Apparently you haven't seen stacy dash recently since she started trying to restart her career. A year or so ago she did a pictorial in King (?) magazine that will melt your face. Then in an interview she talked about she likes to get freaky on the first date just to know if there is "chemistry."

Also, agreed about the weapons and I like the idea of the DBS having a kick. Gnasher still needs its range shortened a bit.

bread's done
Back