GGT 173 Finished A "Visual Novel" and is Ready For The Hard Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally reached Baldur's Gate. fuckin' place is huge.

EDIT: There's a sailor sitting in the corner of one of the city's many taverns that sings the song "I's the B'y".

What a god damn obscure reference, Bioware.

EDIT2: Wow. "Bitch Queen" this and "Bitch Queen" that. Gary Gygax must have fucking hated the ocean or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Entered a random inn.

It's full of green slimes.

The bartender has this weird green tint to him.

He explodes.

Attack the slimes.

They're super inaccurate, but one hit from them causes their target to turn green and explode.

Baldur's Gate!

EDIT3: I just walked in to a building marked "poultry store". It contained 20 rabid chickens and nothing else.

Rabid chickens only give you 1 EXP when you kill them, unfortunately.

[quote name='whoknows']Who among you has Mk ps3?[/QUOTE]

MK9? I have it.

--

Why are they speculating that dudley/elena are time locked on PS3 and DLC for 360?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']MK9? I have it.

--

Why are they speculating that dudley/elena are time locked on PS3 and DLC for 360?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I haven't seen anything about it.

--

Why are they speculating that dudley/elena are time locked on PS3 and DLC for 360?[/QUOTE]

aren't the DLC characters a given? it's not like they'll be vita exclusive.

[quote name='panzerfaust']aren't the DLC characters a given? it's not like they'll be vita exclusive.[/QUOTE]

The poster of the ending put in the description that the extra characters for PS3 are time released and that they're paid DLC on 360. Strangest trolling/conjecture I've ever seen. I doubt there's any truth to it, but then again, the PS3 version of the game has 5 extra characters over the 360 version, so who knows... :3

[quote name='panzerfaust']it'll be paid DLC either way, on disk or not.[/QUOTE]

That's the expectation, but you're missing the point.
The point is that some random internet person who posted the elena/dudley ending is claiming that the DLC will be paid on 360 and free on PS3 and I'm curious as to how the hell the dude came to this conclusion.
I mean, Capcom has already given PS3 owners 5 exclusive fighters, which may dwindle to 3, but even if it does, I'd wager MEGA MAN and PAC-MAN would be paid DLC on 360... so this could fuel the speculation, but still, I just don't see it.
It would be nice though...

[quote name='BlueScrote']I do[/QUOTE]

--

We should have a MK night. Uraizen said we needed more than just him and I.
[quote name='panzerfaust']just traded in mk for $23 :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
Now you can't join.

Dear D&D 2nd Edition.

You have too many fucking status effects.

Like, fights become pure "who gets the first comically debilitating status effects". fuck everything else, whose mage cast confusion first? Whose mage can cast hold first? And why are there three separate status effects for "confusion"?

EDIT: Also, spawning in a room with your mages closest to the enemy archers? fucking classy.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']OK, who's fucking with me?

Fess up.[/QUOTE]

It was me.

MMOs=where you waste time because you already paid for the subscription.

Baldur's Gate tea time in support of Crotch.

The starting quests were straightforward, easy to spot, so I wasn't even an hour into my first BG character when I figured out that I'm paired with Imoen. Bitch stole my outfit and class. We're practically f'in twins. I hate her already. The only thing separating us is race and (I suspect) alignment. I don't know what her proficiencies are, haven't used her in battle yet.

I thought it would be fun to try a true neutral thief, but I'll probably re-roll if they're sticking me with Imoen at the outset.

And I wasted most of my playtime pissing off the old mage in Candlekeep Inn. Firebead. Dude melted my face off. I couldn't help it, though. He's just standing there.

I don't want to spoil my playthrough, but I did google "killl firebead" online and of course there's a result. Apparently in BG1 proper, you can abuse the game mechanics with the stairs to avoid his casts and take him down with any lvl 1 character. I'm not going down that path, even if I was aligned evil, but I've gotta say, it wouldn't be entirely out of line from a RP perspective. He's kind of a dick.

He'll often lead with the acid arrow spell, which is damage per round. I'd think most higher-ups would catch a lvl 1 picking their pockets (or stabbing their backs), pat the lil' guy on the head and stick a magic missile up their ass. Not Firebead. He leads with a DOT and then horror and then he's scorching the shit out of his lvl 1 friend while lvl 1 is flailing around.

He means business, sure, but it's a dick move.

Don't worry too much about Imoen stepping on your toes. You can dual-class her into a mage pretty early on.

EDIT: And she starts proficient in short bows and daggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got annoyed with LittleBigPlanet last night so I started up Uncharted 1. Played through the first 2 sections and I'm digging it so far. Will try to power through that before starting up ME3.

I think I remember playing through both BG's clean for a good third of the game. Then I had to open up the character editor and start, well, editing.

[quote name='dothog']Baldur's Gate tea time in support of Crotch.

The starting quests were straightforward, easy to spot, so I wasn't even an hour into my first BG character when I figured out that I'm paired with Imoen. Bitch stole my outfit and class. We're practically f'in twins. I hate her already. The only thing separating us is race and (I suspect) alignment. I don't know what her proficiencies are, haven't used her in battle yet.

I thought it would be fun to try a true neutral thief, but I'll probably re-roll if they're sticking me with Imoen at the outset.

And I wasted most of my playtime pissing off the old mage in Candlekeep Inn. Firebead. Dude melted my face off. I couldn't help it, though. He's just standing there.

I don't want to spoil my playthrough, but I did google "killl firebead" online and of course there's a result. Apparently in BG1 proper, you can abuse the game mechanics with the stairs to avoid his casts and take him down with any lvl 1 character. I'm not going down that path, even if I was aligned evil, but I've gotta say, it wouldn't be entirely out of line from a RP perspective. He's kind of a dick.

He'll often lead with the acid arrow spell, which is damage per round. I'd think most higher-ups would catch a lvl 1 picking their pockets (or stabbing their backs), pat the lil' guy on the head and stick a magic missile up their ass. Not Firebead. He leads with a DOT and then horror and then he's scorching the shit out of his lvl 1 friend while lvl 1 is flailing around.

He means business, sure, but it's a dick move.[/QUOTE]

It's things like this that make me love the infinity engine games. You can spend tons of time just fucking with NPCs and seeing who's a badass.

So.

You gonna try and kill Drizzt Do'urden, dothog?

EDIT: Also, magic missile from a high-level mage would crush a level 1 thief. Magic missile scales incredibly well as you level, and remains one of the most useful spells throughout the game.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Got annoyed with LittleBigPlanet last night so I started up Uncharted 1. Played through the first 2 sections and I'm digging it so far. Will try to power through that before starting up ME3.[/QUOTE]

If you ever need a hand with some of the LBP levels, I have the game thanks to the whole hacking fiasco... just PM me or something, and I can hop on and try to help you out.

Wandering through underground cave.

Out of healing spells and can't rest because I always get ambushed by poisonous spiders when I try to sleep (you have a set limit to how many spells you can cast in a day, and must rest to get them back).

Still wandering.

Catch a glimpse of some awfully realistic looking statues.

Carpet-bomb the fucking place with fireball and stinking cloud spells.

I KNOW WHAT THE fuck IS UP BASILISK BITCHES.

[quote name='The Crotch']So.

You gonna try and kill Drizzt Do'urden, dothog?

EDIT: Also, magic missile from a high-level mage would crush a level 1 thief. Magic missile scales incredibly well as you level, and remains one of the most useful spells throughout the game.[/QUOTE]

I save often. No NPC is safe from being pickpocketed and/or backstabbed. Even the mighty Drizzt. Though I try to RP as best I can, so I won't kill 'em all.

But I will empty a few pockets. I'm a goddamn thief, y'all.

And as for magic missile, that's exactly my point re: dickishness. He could one-shot it...if he wanted to. But he likes to DOT, then horror, and then piss around. Mega dick. If I catch him on the flipside and I'm starting to bend ever-so-slightly to evil, uh oh, Firebead. Ima mess you up.

[quote name='BlueScrote']It's things like this that make me love the infinity engine games. You can spend tons of time just fucking with NPCs and seeing who's a badass.[/QUOTE]
Yes, exactly. It'll take me forever to get through this, because I can't help wonder about every NPC that comes along. It's fun.

More general BG question: What's BG1 do with neutral-evil player characters? Is the story tailored as well for other alignments, or is it simply a case of NPCs giving me the short shrift and vendors dicking me on prices? I won't get into alignments on other games (dead horse), but I've heard so much about BG that I thought maybe in playing a non-good PC I'd be rewarded with a thoughtful story for once.

What happened to me? I barely play games anymore. I haven't bought a retail game since Assassin's Creed. I didn't reserve and don't think I'll pick up Mass Effect 3 on launch.

Am I already dead?

Party reputation is the big thing, not individual alignment. Money's not scarce in the game, so vendor price changes don't matter too much. Super-low party reputations will cause some party members to desert (just as high reputations may piss off other companions), and will lead to attacks by bounty hunters and mercenaries.

EDIT: And you want a fucking glorious D&D-based game for playing evil characters? The "Mask of the Betrayer" expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2. Like, the main game was pretty unremarkable (aside from its terrible camera), but Mask? fucking beautiful. fucking beautiful, with a terrible camera.

[quote name='The Crotch']Party reputation is the big thing, not individual alignment. Money's not scarce in the game, so vendor price changes don't matter too much. Super-low party reputations will cause some party members to desert (just as high reputations may piss off other companions), and will lead to attacks by bounty hunters and mercenaries.

EDIT: And you want a fucking glorious D&D-based game for playing evil characters? The "Mask of the Betrayer" expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2. Like, the main game was pretty unremarkable (aside from its terrible camera), but Mask? fucking beautiful. fucking beautiful, with a terrible camera.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, NWN main campaign was awful. Never picked up any of the expansions because of how bad it was.

[quote name='seanr1221']What happened to me? I barely play games anymore. I haven't bought a retail game since Assassin's Creed. I didn't reserve and don't think I'll pick up Mass Effect 3 on launch.

Am I already dead?[/QUOTE]

I haven't been playing much either. A little Soul Calibur here and AC:R there. Been reading a lot more in my freetime.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Yeah, NWN main campaign was awful. Never picked up any of the expansions because of how bad it was.

I haven't been playing much either. A little Soul Calibur here and AC:R there. Been reading a lot more in my freetime.[/QUOTE]

We should get a GGT night for SC5 going -- you, me, uraizen, icebeast. uraizen vouched for the net code, saying it was stable. I'm still working my way through the story; I was on chapter 18 or so when I ran into ZWEI vs. Nightmare and was about to throw a clot.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Yeah, NWN main campaign was awful. Never picked up any of the expansions because of how bad it was.[/QUOTE]
Are we talking about the first or the second? The second Neverwinter Nights campaign was a mix of second-rate characters (like, I could totally see them auditioning to be in past Bioware/Black Isle titles but not getting the parts), incredibly dull make-work padding, and great ideas that weren't implemented properly. And a bad camera. Mask of the Betrayer was a gloriously well-written expansion, and Storms of Zehir is something for people who liked Icewind Dale. I am not people who liked Icewind Dale, but I can live with it.

The first Neverwinter Nights was just terrible. I haven't played that mech game that Bioware made, but NWN is probably the worst thing they ever did. It is memorable only for its excellent toolset and online community. I did not bother with the expansions. I've heard the one with the kobold is alright.

EDIT: Also, NWN 2 gets the award for "stupidest fucking ending in any RPG made since 1995".

The original. Never played 2 due to the poor taste 1 left in my mouth.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']We should get a GGT night for SC5 going -- you, me, uraizen, icebeast. uraizen vouched for the net code, saying it was stable. I'm still working my way through the story; I was on chapter 18 or so when I ran into ZWEI vs. Nightmare and was about to throw a clot.[/QUOTE]

I'd be down for that. You all play much later than I do though. Hopped online for a couple of matches earlier and got my ass handed to me. On 4 bars lag seemed pretty minimal.

I thought we were all weeaboos who only talked about fighters? Why must people lie to me?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']We should get a GGT night for SC5 going -- you, me, uraizen, icebeast. uraizen vouched for the net code, saying it was stable. I'm still working my way through the story; I was on chapter 18 or so when I ran into ZWEI vs. Nightmare and was about to throw a clot.[/QUOTE]

That I did.

That ZWEI vs Nightmare battle can go fuck itself. I don't know how the fuck to play ZWEI.

I liked trying ZWEI until that battle. When I realized his critical strike was ass and his range sucked. I started trying out Ezio in the quick battle... I think I like him.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I liked trying ZWEI until that battle. When I realized his critical strike was ass and his range sucked. I started trying out Ezio in the quick battle... I think I like him.[/QUOTE]

I haven't even tried Ezio yet, I think I should do that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back