GGT 173 Finished A "Visual Novel" and is Ready For The Hard Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll remain optimistic about it. It's only their second time making a game for a console, so hopefully they learned some stuff from Socom.

[quote name='The Crotch']I killed both of them. Annoying bastards.

EDIT: When justifying her "humans > aliens" stance she goes off on this weird tangent about walking through the woods with a hypothetical dog and getting attacked by a bear and leaving the dog to die and not feeling bad about it because it's just a dog.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I don't remember that. But it definitely fits with her persona.

The mechanics in SCV are so much easier to pickup than SF. I feel like I've advanced alot farther in terms of skill in a couple hours of SCV than I did with 3SO. I also like the way the training mode is set up in that it gives you the best bnb attacks for each character without wading through and trying everything yourself.

Just had the most painful winning round of Tribes ever. Joined the game when it was 1-2 (game goes to 5), playing flag defence. Got my mines going, got my forcefield up. Splattering attackers left and right. We tie the game up. Keep splattering attackers. Eventually one of them manages to get the flag off the stand, but dies in a very defensible spot. Great! Just leave the flag there, I say. So of course someone comes and returns it.

Grumble back to my stand. Forcefield's down, but I don't have time to replace it. fucking asshole technicians keep stealing my ammo drops, so I can never replace my landmines. Another heavy shows up and throws down a terribly placed forcefield, but he changes class soon enough. Game goes to 3-3. Flag gets knocked into an even MORE defensible area; corner of a tiny-ass corridor sitting between a landmine and a turret. I'm sitting there keeping my chaingun revved. Tell the teammates not to move it. Twenty seconds later, someone returns it. It's promptly grabbed and capped. 3-4.

A pair of attackers come at me, and I splatter one of them, but the other makes it out with the flag. He gets right up to his stand before our offense takes him down, returns it, and steals their flag. Equalizing cap came with only a couple minutes to go. Base is getting pounded by mortars, but my teammates ignore it. They get our flag, but our ofence takes theirs. Our carrier dies, but I kill the guy that was on him and take the flag. Enemy medium; kill him. Another one, a light armour, this time he uses a concussion grenade to make me drop the flag. Kill him and pick it back up. I'm almost dead. Enemy heavy with a spinfusor (rocket launcher type thing) comes at me; no teammates around, we're fucked. Jetpacking backwards, plinking away at him - it takes a century to kill a heavy with the chaingun. Duck underneath the support columns of a nearby aqueduct. Lose him momentarily. Get a bunch of free hits. His dying blow connects, and I drop the flag. In the post-mortem, I see a flying V of teammates coming to grab the flag.

Our offense forces a flag return. I get back to my stand. Forcefield goes up. fucking dropping mines non-stop. Enemies keep flying into me, their bodies shattering on contact. The mortars resume; nothing I can do. Why the fuck haven't we made the final cap yet? It takes a couple seconds to build enough energy to jet to the flagstand. First wave of attackers broken; second wave starts tearing in to me. Getting bounced god damn everywhere, but the landmines are doing their job. Flag carrier finally gets to the stand, but eats a mortar. Enemy gets a grab but eats a landmine. Our flag is back. Tech grabs their flag and caps.

We won, but I hated my teammates for damn near every single moment of it.

(1) Darksiders was awesome. I'm pretty sure War was voiced by Liam O'Brien... and since I won't be playing Skyward Sword most likely, I'm glad to have a competent Zelda knockoff.

(2) The Crotch is probably dead on about ME3. I'll be one of the guys bitching about how it was solid but I really was disappointed in x or y once I finally play it. :p

(3) I picked up SC5 for PS3.

I have entered the status effects everywhere part of Baldur's Gate.

Specifically, poison spiders and web traps. Poison spiders aren't so bad. Absurd damage, but my main character has 100% immunity, and between him, my mage, and my druid, I've got six cure poison spells a day.

But these web traps. These fucking web traps! They're supposed to make fights harder, but I never trigger them during fights. No, I trigger them when I'm just trying to fucking explore. Going from A to B always involves an extra minute of standing around, waiting for fucking Minsc to get out of the god damn web trap.

EDIT: Also, now I know where Bioware got the idea for Dragon Age's brood mothers from.
fvcPC.png

EDIT2: So my reward for killing the "brood mother"? A magic sword for Minsc that protects him from movement-impairing status effects like spider webs. You're funny, Baldur's Gate.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Crotch']
EDIT2: So my reward for killing the "brood mother"? A magic sword for Minsc that protects him from movement-impairing status effects like spider webs. You're funny, Baldur's Gate.[/QUOTE]

Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, The only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm. My friend and companion ever since my h-h-head wound, he will lead us to victory! Onward to the Gnoll Stronghold to the west! Tarry not! We must go soon!

Got to play some of that SFxT.

It is weird to go from links to a chain combo back to links. The animations looks awesome, the graphics look chunky and the characters feel heavy.

It will be the new 'it' fighter for now, but no console means I'll see you guys maybe in May.

We will play sometime Crotch, I'll be back in the mix hopefully in the next few days. Crunch time is crunch time.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Crotch, what class/race is your main character in BG?[/QUOTE]
Human paladin, cavalier (extra resistances/immunties, damage bonus against demons/devils and dragons, can't use ranged weapons) kit. Paladin's turn undead is shit, but lay on hands fires off faster than any healing spell, and I get some mileage out of remove fear and protection from evil. Went with bastard sword and shield specializations initially, which was a mistake, because I'm using Khalid as well, and he dual-wields bastard swords. Charm and poison immunities turn out to be really handy in this game.

Interesting. I finally decided to buy that pack on gamers gate. I was thinking of going plain old human fighter but that seems boring.

I'm having an extended LOTR viewing party tonight. I just looked at the movie runtimes and Return of the King is 4 hours 23 minutes long.

If you're going to play a human, you should either be a paladin (only humans can play paladins) or dual-class (say, start as a fighter and quickly add on a mage). If you're playing any other single class or you want to have three classes, go as another race.

In fact, dual-class fighter/mage is fucking awesome. You get the absurdly powerful late-game of the mage without the die-from-a-gibberling-scratch start, and you get the beefy HP injection of the fighter early on without being a useless lump of metal by the end.

Imoen's mage class has finally passed her thief class. Prior to this, the weird-ass ruleset meant that she couldn't use her thief abilities at all until she was a more experienced mage than she was thief.

I ate a lot of traps while she went from level one to six. So much lightning...

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Not gaming related, but any of you athletic types have any experience with Vibram 5 fingers footwear?[/QUOTE]

Tried them once, and they are weird to wear. My brother swears by them, but I toe strike just fine without them.

Plus I hate running, so I do other things for cardio.

Battle Horrors ain't nothin' but a bunch of bitches.
[quote name='BlueScrote']What ruleset does that apply to Dual classed characters? 3.5e?[/QUOTE]
3.5? Jesus fuck, no. Second edition. All the old Infinity Engine D&D games used second. THAC0, negative armour class, all that shit. 3.5 didnt start showing up in games 'til, like, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil.

[quote name='The Crotch']Battle Horrors ain't nothin' but a bunch of bitches.

3.5? Jesus fuck, no. Second edition. All the old Infinity Engine D&D games used second. THAC0, negative armour class, all that shit. 3.5 didnt start showing up in games 'til, like, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil.[/QUOTE]

I figured 3.5 was to recent for that. And to think at one point I knew most of the general rules to 2e (from playing icewind dale, no less).

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'll still buy it, even though Ono has his slimy bitch ass fingers all over it.[/QUOTE]

Clearly I changed my avatar at the right time, I'll buy it as long as B.B. Hood is in it
but I'd probably buy it even if she wasn't in it (hoping they would add her later).

I hope Capcom drops the ugly graphics style for Darkstalkers. All their fighting games don't need to look exactly the same.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope Capcom drops the ugly graphics style for Darkstalkers. All their fighting games don't need to look exactly the same.[/QUOTE]

I hope they outsource to midway instead.

[quote name='whoknows']Midway would be sweet.

Make the game look and play like MK Vs DC[/QUOTE]

Yes, I loved using the d-pad to move like a 2D game and the analog stick to move like a 3D game. It was so innovative, I don't know why more fighters don't use it.

It was an amazing idea.

All fighters should use it.

They should redo that one though and keep it closer the current MK style. The idea of MK Vs DC is more appealing to me than Marvel Vs Capcom. Doesn't WB have the rights to DC games anyways?

[quote name='whoknows']It was an amazing idea.

All fighters should use it.

They should redo that one though and keep it closer the current MK style. The idea of MK Vs DC is more appealing to me than Marvel Vs Capcom. Doesn't WB have the rights to DC games anyways?[/QUOTE]

No, they should redo the new MK and make it like MK vs DC because it's so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back