GGT 177 can't wait for the crash of the gaming industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
2ma1ch.jpg

Videogarmes!

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Here's one vote for 3. Only one so far.
[/QUOTE]

Rant:

Well here's your reason why:

Everyone thought 2 was the shit. I just thought it was shit. I hated the multi, I hated the new story, I hated the way you started in the middle and then got thrown back only to thave to do the middle again, only slightly different. Seriously, the graphics weren't noticeably better than the original to me, and the increased focus on gunplay and cover based shooting was unwelcome to me (though expected due to the resources and development time focused on multiplayer), so the only real improvement had to do with some of the gameplay elements (controls, etc.).

Uncharted 3 removed the supernatural element for the most part, continued to refine the controls, added impressive graphics improvements (fire, water, etc.) and didn't really retread too much, only where it made sense to. There was a return to puzzle solving and exploring/climbing. They gave the ability to handle more sections with stealth, if you so preferred.

To me, Uncharted 3 is the sequel Uncharted deserved and I'm still not sure whether Uncharted or Uncharted 3 is the best game in the series. The only thing I do know for certain is that Uncharted 2 is not.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Rant:

Well here's your reason why:

Everyone thought 2 was the shit. I just thought it was shit. I hated the multi, I hated the new story, I hated the way you started in the middle and then got thrown back only to thave to do the middle again, only slightly different. Seriously, the graphics weren't noticeably better than the original to me, and the increased focus on gunplay and cover based shooting was unwelcome to me (though expected due to the resources and development time focused on multiplayer), so the only real improvement had to do with some of the gameplay elements (controls, etc.).

Uncharted 3 removed the supernatural element for the most part, continued to refine the controls, added impressive graphics improvements (fire, water, etc.) and didn't really retread too much, only where it made sense to. There was a return to puzzle solving and exploring/climbing. They gave the ability to handle more sections with stealth, if you so preferred.

To me, Uncharted 3 is the sequel Uncharted deserved and I'm still not sure whether Uncharted or Uncharted 3 is the best game in the series. The only thing I do know for certain is that Uncharted 2 is not.
[/QUOTE]
Good points. But still, I'm in no rush to play it.

Now UnKarted, I will play. ^__^

Uncharted 2 was paced very well and the joy of it pretty much lied in the fact that the game was an animation power house. The draw is that it feels very natural, and so its biggest flaws were when it didn't feel natural -- pumping bullets into pin cushions for extended periods of time, is what I'm getting at. Didn't help that the guns felt like they were shooting water, either. And the multiplayer was an unimpressive, but harmless throw in. I personally wouldn't even knock it for that, or pay much notice to it at all.

And I don't get why people care about the Uncharted narrative. It's a hollywood treasure hunter flick, it's got a swashbuckling main character who says witty lines and it revolves around close ups on Chloe's ass and a villain after a magical stone. That's not an insult, it's precisely why the game works -- it flows with the natural charm of a trashy popcorn film.

All I heard about UC3 was it went too far with the scripting and failed to keep that feel. But someday I'll find out for myself.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Uncharted 2 was paced very well and the joy of it pretty much lied in the fact that the game was an animation power house. The draw is that it feels very natural, and so its biggest flaws were when it didn't feel natural -- pumping bullets into pin cushions for extended periods of time, is what I'm getting at. Didn't help that the guns felt like they were shooting water, either. The multiplayer was an unimpressive, but harmless throw in. I personally wouldn't even knock it for that, or pay much notice to it at all.

And I don't get why people care about the Uncharted narrative. It's a hollywood treasure hunter flick, it's got a swashbuckling main character who says witty lines and it revolves around close ups on Chloe's ass and a villain after a magical stone. That's not an insult, it's precisely why the game works -- it flows with the natural charm of a trashy popcorn film.

All I head about UC3 was it went to far with the scripting and failed to keep that feel. But someday I'll find out for myself.[/QUOTE]
I agree with all of this.

I think my biggest problem with gaming now is that every damn game wants to tell a story rather than let me have fun.

[quote name='panzerfaust']All I head about UC3 was it went to far with the scripting and failed to keep that feel. But someday I'll find out for myself.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea where people got this from. I can't say I noticed either of those, unless the "failed to keep the feel" is the fact that there wasn't a major supernatural element to it. But that's fine, after the bullshit at the end of 2 with Shambala.

Man, you reminded me of the fight with Solidus Drake. That shit sucked, especially on harder difficulties. YES THROW MORE GRENADES AT ME BITCH!!

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I agree with all of this.

I think my biggest problem with gaming now is that every damn game wants to tell a story rather than let me have fun.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
I think my biggest problem with gaming now is that every damn game wants to tell a story rather than let me have fun.[/QUOTE]
Then stop enjoying Crysis 2.

Remember when cutscenes were a reward that you looked forward to?

Not trying to be some nostalgic fuckwit here, but cutscenes terrify me. Half the time they're used as a "you were winning the fight but now we're in control and we decided you can't aim/lost all your abilities/are afraid of progress" crutch because the narrative demands that you lose.

Which is only used because... well, stories only work if the main character suffers setbacks and defeats, and games have a hard fucking time portraying that without wrenching control away from you. It's why JRPGs have the "fight you're supposed to lose" thing. The story doesn't really work if you always win, but if they leave it in your hands, you probably will.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Then stop enjoying Crysis 2.[/QUOTE]
But I like killing people while using cloak. . .:cry:

But yeah, I can't tell you at all what that game's story was about, and I finished it.

Games need stories like Bulletstorm's story. Just fill it full of swearing and racism and let me have a blast. Don't try to change my life or send me a message because you're a fucking video GAME.

At least, don't try that unless you know you can pull it off. I do like the Metal Gear series storylines, so I'm just totally full of shit, ignore me plz.

Games can definitely be too heavy on cut scenes. But I love story heavy games. Don't enjoy much else these days honestly.

But my main hobbies are really all story related I guess as movies and books are my other free time killers. So I like games that continue that theme. I get bored of games that are all gameplay pretty quickly.

But there still has to be a good balance of good gameplay and story. Game stories tend to suck compared to good movies or books, so just having a solid story isn't enough to get me to play a game. The story just has to be good enough to keep me interested so I finish the game.

My immediate reaction to the beginning of Mass Effect, where a cutscene has Shepherd get zapped by that device for his squadmate was, "Wait, I would never have chosen to do that." So yeah, certain games can be a bit jarring and that's never a sign of good execution. You can decide when people live or die, or when you want to risk your life at any other point in the game -- but when the developers want something to happen, they will violate that experience.

Liara: Shepherd, I'm going to look into your mind, alright?

A.) Alright, do it.
B.) Fine, but be quick.
C.) Okay, but you better not try anything funny.

In times like these it becomes very obvious that Bioware is playing your game.

Traditional JRPGs are odd, though, because when I play them I'm very much aware that I am the observer. I get an uncanny feeling that I'm watching some play being acted on stage, so I don't mind when control is taken away to advance the script.

[quote name='panzerfaust']My immediate reaction to the beginning of Mass Effect, where a cutscene has Shepherd get zapped by that device for his squadmate was, "Wait, I would never have chosen to do that." So yeah, certain games can be a bit jarring and that's never a sign of good execution. You can decide when people live or die, or when you want to risk your life at any other point in the game -- but when the developers want something to happen, they will violate that experience.[/QUOTE]
The problem there is that if you leave it up to the players to do choose something, they often won't even realize that it's in their power. Let's say that in ME1, they didn't boot you in to a cutscene when Ashley started getting alien bug-zapped. Let's say that you could either let her sit there, or you could take her place, and the narrative was set up to allow either choice to be totally valid, etc.

Would you know that you could take her place? Short of great big letters appearing on the screen saying "WALK UP TO ASHLEY AND HIT THE USE KEY, ASSHOLE.", how could you know that that was even an option?

It's a problem I see from time to time. Just recently in Baldur's Gate 2, I was given a time-sensitive quest. And I really like the idea of time-sensitive quests. But I had no idea that it was time-sensitive, so I fucked around doing other things and got totally screwed over because I took too long. When you accept the quest you get a little "Yo, do this shit fast-like!" speech, but you get that for every quest. "Town is getting destroyed by ghost-werewolves" wasn't time sensitive. "Your best friend is getting mind-raped" isn't time sensitive. But this was, but short of blatantly telling me FOR REALS THIS TIME, how would I know?

Without establishing early on "This is how shit's gonna be," players will just feel confused and often disappointed when they realize after the fact that the how and the when of what they do actually mattered. And going in to a game, the expectation is that those things don't matter.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']GAME stands for Grandiose Amazing Movielike Experience.[/QUOTE]

Let's name shit that aren't games this gen that are good.

NG2, Bayonetta, SFxT, T6, BlazBlue, KoFXIII.

Amazing.

When I played Deus Ex Human Revolution, I screwed around so much at the beginning that the hostages died before I got there. I got chewed out. Was awesome. ^__^

[quote name='distgfx']Let's name shit that aren't games this gen that are good.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

You seemed to have accidentally put NG2 instead of NG3.

[quote name='distgfx']Let's name shit that aren't games this gen that are good.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

You know what else they all have in common?

Stories that are mostly fluff and you can skip them. ^__^

[quote name='hankmecrankme']You know what else they all have in common?

Stories that are mostly fluff and you can skip. ^__^
[/QUOTE]

You know what else they all have in common?

Good gameplay.

If you got an awesome PC get The Witcher 2.

If you only have a eggzbawkstreeshitty then wait for the console release. Assassin of Kings is dope yo!

Old days:

Mega%20Man%20X-1.png

Press start, play game.

------------------------------

Current:

224781-mega-man-maverick-hunter-x-psp-screenshot-title-screens.png

Press start, watch animated cutscene, press start to skip, mega man teleports in, listen to dialogue, press start to skip it, play the game

[quote name='whoknows']What if I get it for neither of those things?[/QUOTE]

Then don't.

[quote name='whoknows']But the graffix are better.[/QUOTE]

The only one that matters is the iphone version.

mega_man_x_ios_iphone_ipad_ipod_touch.jpg

[quote name='j-cart']

The only one that matters is the iphone version.[/QUOTE]

iphone version does have best control scheme going for it.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I know that feeling hank. Games lately haven't been doing much for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sucks, doesn't it? Oh well. Skyrim is entertaining enough. I'll just download a ton of mods and make it crazy.

[quote name='The Crotch']The problem there is that if you leave it up to the players to do choose something, they often won't even realize that it's in their power. Let's say that in ME1, they didn't boot you in to a cutscene when Ashley started getting alien bug-zapped. Let's say that you could either let her sit there, or you could take her place, and the narrative was set up to allow either choice to be totally valid, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree with that, ME was a game with some very awkward and undefined rules. I get why they forced that scene, but that's exactly how it felt to the player, forced. If they could go back and fix that, I wouldn't ask them to make that a choice situation -- they should just make the rest of the game cutscenes as well and stop pretending that my Shepherd is any different from any other player's Shepherd, aside from how rude or polite I sound when trying to save the universe.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Yeah, it sucks, doesn't it? Oh well. Skyrim is entertaining enough. I'll just download a ton of mods and make it crazy.[/QUOTE]

Seriously Hank, you need to play DotA 2. I think you will enjoy crushing fools and drive back the mass creeps.

[quote name='panzerfaust']J-cart I gotta say, I'm not totally feeling DotA2. It's very ugly.[/QUOTE]

I concur, I really like the cartoon style and vibrant colors of LoL, DotA2 looks a bit more drab and the character designs aren't exactly to my taste. For reference, I love this:

lol-lulu-ss-01.png

[quote name='icebeast']A mega man game I can finally beat?[/QUOTE]

All the power-ups in the world can't help you when it comes to platforming on an iphone.

[quote name='distgfx']All the power-ups in the world can't help you when it comes to platforming on an iphone.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I can't imagine how MM plays with virtual buttons. I can't even stop myself from dashing off ledges in kid icarus and that has real buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back