GGT #42 will be playing Halo Reach with TMK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odin Sphere HD is much more needed than Shadow of the Colossus HD in terms of how bad the framerate was, as it dropped like a rock in OS once you hit a certain level where they added a ton of stuff to the background that killed the latter portion of the game.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Not in the combat. It's pretty much the same thing, though Gears has "Roadie Run".
Push into cover, jump over, move around, pop up, over the shoulder third person camera for aiming. Hell, in both you have to hit a button to pick up ammo. You also have the same d-pad mappings, with primary guns on left/right, grenades on up, pistol on the down. It's got a bit of a different feel to it, but it's very very similar. The only real difference I can think about right away is that melee in gears doesn't do combos like Uncharted.[/QUOTE]
The feel of the gameplay makes them very different beasts by design. Gears is a lot slower and more plodding since the gears aren't designed to move around quickly while Uncharted tends to have a quicker feel and pacing as Nathan Drake is a lot more agile with more vertical combat. Controls don't really mean much when trying to discuss whether they feel the same or not.

I wish Odin Sphere didn't have such difficult bosses. I stopped at the last section because I got sick of the spending an hour on each boss, and ultimately getting frustrated at the framerate, and the fact that I barely did damage to them.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I wish Odin Sphere didn't have such difficult bosses. I stopped at the last section because I got sick of the spending an hour on each boss, and ultimately getting frustrated at the framerate, and the fact that I barely did damage to them.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't like Muramasa then =D

Although there is an easy mode I have not bothered to try..

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Odin Sphere HD is much more needed than Shadow of the Colossus HD in terms of how bad the framerate was, as it dropped like a rock in OS once you hit a certain level where they added a ton of stuff to the background that killed the latter portion of the game.

The feel of the gameplay makes them very different beasts by design. Gears is a lot slower and more plodding since the gears aren't designed to move around quickly while Uncharted tends to have a quicker feel and pacing as Nathan Drake is a lot more agile with more vertical combat. Controls don't really mean much when trying to discuss whether they feel the same or not.[/QUOTE]

Feels pretty similiar, combat-wise, to me, man -- and I've played my fair share of both series. The movement is slower in gears, and more "floaty" in Uncharted, but ultimately, it's the closest thing in my opinion that he may have played on the PS3, since he's new to 360.

Anyway, if he like the idea of a cover based TPS, get gears. If he wants an FPS, he should get L4D2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ninja dog']WOWWW at the Last Guardian trailer.

but that gryphon is too cute to live in the end. and I tear up just thinking about it :([/QUOTE]
So true. I can already tell it's goign to die. Man, it'd be awesome if they made you kill it.

Got through missions 7-9 and part of 10 in Reach last night. Still loving it. Way too many one hit kills in campaign compared to prior games though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Got through missions 7-9 and part of 10 in Reach last night. Still loving it. Way to many one hit kills in campaign compared to prior games though.[/QUOTE]
I agree. THey really upped the difficulty of the campaign this time around. I don't remember having any problems at all in Halo 2/3, but I've died quite a few times in Reach.

Haha, yeah I've avoided Demon Souls like the plague!

Reach isn't frustratingly hard (on Normal at least). Just the one hit kills get old at times when it's something like a Grunt sticking you with a grenade from super far away etc.

Hunters are more of a pain in the ass than in past games as well. Especially ODST, I blew right through all of them in that game.

But again, not frustratingly hard, just a good step up from Halo 1-3 and ODST. But I'd say it's easily the best campaign gameplay wise in the Halo series. Great pacing, just running from tough firefight to tough firefight, and the vehicle sections are actually good for onces--other than the Warthog controls still sucking.

Only downside is the story is pretty thin (i.e. not much of a plot, at times not clear why you're doing what your doing etc.) compared to Halo 1-3. But I don't really care about story in games, especially FPS games, so that's a minor nit pick.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree. THey really upped the difficulty of the campaign this time around. I don't remember having any problems at all in Halo 2/3, but I've died quite a few times in Reach.[/QUOTE]

Reach campaign is proving to be a bit of a challenge on Legendary (playing through on that difficulty only, just like I did with 3). I mean I died a lot in 3 on Legendary too (the Flood were hell on Legendary in that game), but here I die a lot because the AI is seriously horrible. Like using a Worthog is a suicide mission, since if your driving the shooter is incompetent and doesn't fire enough and misses all the time, and if your shooting the driver does a suicide mission out into the open which kills you instantly. And then I got to a part where it is just you and one other Spartan and the other character refused to leave the vehicle to help on foot, so I just ditched them in the car out in the open and did everything else myself.

[quote name='seanr1221']All signs point to...yes.[/QUOTE]

The signs could be yelled at by higher ups to make it more casual friendly.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Haha, yeah I've avoided Demon Souls like the plague!

Reach isn't frustratingly hard (on Normal at least). Just the one hit kills get old at times when it's something like a Grunt sticking you with a grenade from super far away etc.

Hunters are more of a pain in the ass than in past games as well. Especially ODST, I blew right through all of them in that game.

But again, not frustratingly hard, just a good step up from Halo 1-3 and ODST. But I'd say it's easily the best campaign gameplay wise in the Halo series. Great pacing, just running from tough firefight to tough firefight, and the vehicle sections are actually good for onces--other than the Warthog controls still sucking.

Only downside is the story is pretty thin (i.e. not much of a plot, at times not clear why you're doing what your doing etc.) compared to Halo 1-3. But I don't really care about story in games, especially FPS games, so that's a minor nit pick.[/QUOTE]
I actually think Hunters are still pretty easy. I usually just find a vehicle and run their asses over or look for Hologram. Agree about the story though, it's really not as good as ODST's.
[quote name='icebeast']Reach campaign is proving to be a bit of a challenge on Legendary (playing through on that difficulty only, just like I did with 3). I mean I died a lot in 3 on Legendary too (the Flood were hell on Legendary in that game), but here I die a lot because the AI is seriously horrible. Like using a Worthog is a suicide mission, since if your driving the shooter is incompetent and doesn't fire enough and misses all the time, and if your shooting the driver does a suicide mission out into the open which kills you instantly. And then I got to a part where it is just you and one other Spartan and the other character refused to leave the vehicle to help on foot, so I just ditched them in the car out in the open and did everything else myself.[/QUOTE]
You're doing Legendary alone? I am proud of you! I don't have that kind of patience for my first playthrough. I'll go back to campaign for Legendary after I've beaten it on Normal and when I'll have at least one person to co-op it with me.

image.php

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I actually think Hunters are still pretty easy. I usually just find a vehicle and run their asses over or look for Hologram. Agree about the story though, it's really not as good as ODST's.[/quote]

Yeah, they're not terribly difficult, just take a ton of bullets to put down if you don't have a power weapon or vehicle. I'm at a spot with two of them indoors (so no vehicle) and only have a Assault Rifle and Plasma rifle on me.

I quit not because of that, but because my Live connection died and I didn't want to get any achievements that may or may not register later--plus it was late. I'll do a bit of back tracking when I fire it up tonight and see if I can't find a power weapon (or at least a shot gun or some grenades) laying around.

You're doing Legendary alone? I am proud of you! I don't have that kind of patience for my first playthrough. I'll go back to campaign for Legendary after I've beaten it on Normal and when I'll have at least one person to co-op it with me.

I read somewhere that the difficulty scales by the number of co-op partners you have--so playing with others won't make it a whole lot easier. Would at least help with the vehicle parts where the crappy partner AI makes it a pain as noted above in the post you quoted though.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I'm bored. You're boring, GGT.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go watch TV

(you can't get obscure futurama quotes by me JSP!)

Hunters are a pain in the ass in Reach. But thats probably because I'm playing on Heroic and always forget to look around before engaging them...

[quote name='dmaul1114']I read somewhere that the difficulty scales by the number of co-op partners you have--so playing with others won't make it a whole lot easier. Would at least help with the vehicle parts where the crappy partner AI makes it a pain as noted above in the post you quoted though.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I think co-op would make it easier even with scaling; since for me I have been dieing in the non-vehicle parts; but I'd say far more of my deaths have been from AI stupidity.

For me, I can't play most shooters on Normal anymore or else I typically don't feel challenged at all. It was funny when I beat Killzone 2 on the hardest difficulty you can pick without beating the game first I ended up dropping the difficulty down on the final fight because that thing was just ridiculous. Like I tried maybe 20-30 times to beat that final part of the game, and then when I switched the difficulty down the game was so easy I did it in one try.

I will say that I am feeling kind of rusty still when playing Halo Reach since I think Killzone 2 was the last FPS game I played; and that was over a year ago; but I still feel like Legendary isn't that challenging, thus far the Flood parts in 3 (and 2 which I beat on Heroic and have never beaten on Legendary because that game is REALLY hard on that setting) are also harder than Reach, but maybe Reach will get harder towards the end.

How about a Zone of the Enders 3 announcement? Anyone? As an MGS fan it's hard to admit, but I'm quite sick of the franchise at this point.

Instead Kojima is too busy making another shitty 3D Castlevania. And my god does it look shitty.

[quote name='panzerfaust']How about a Zone of the Enders 3 announcement? Anyone? As an MGS fan it's hard to admit, but I'm quite sick of the franchise at this point.

Instead Kojima is too busy making another shitty 3D Castlevania. And my god does it look shitty.[/QUOTE]
I want ZOE3 so bad - and I agree why must there be a 3D Castlevania... boo.

I've looked all over and I cannot find a simple gif file of Mega Man on the NES charging his shot. This is extremely annoying.

[quote name='icebeast']
For me, I can't play most shooters on Normal anymore or else I typically don't feel challenged at all. It was funny when I beat Killzone 2 on the hardest difficulty you can pick without beating the game first I ended up dropping the difficulty down on the final fight because that thing was just ridiculous. Like I tried maybe 20-30 times to beat that final part of the game, and then when I switched the difficulty down the game was so easy I did it in one try.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll freely admit I suck at shooters. I love them but I'm not good at them. Struggle to keep a K/D ratio of .50-.60 in online multiplayer!

The Gears games I'm a bit better at--at least in campaign/horde--since it's a lot easier to use cover, hang back etc. than in most FPS games. Still suck in vs. mode as I'm not good at run and gun, winning up close encounters etc.

[quote name='panzerfaust']How about a Zone of the Enders 3 announcement? Anyone? As an MGS fan it's hard to admit, but I'm quite sick of the franchise at this point.

Instead Kojima is too busy making another shitty 3D Castlevania. And my god does it look shitty.[/QUOTE]
Kojima isn't making a 3D Castlevania. It's a European developer that is making it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Kojima isn't making a 3D Castlevania. It's a European developer that is making it.[/QUOTE]

He's overseeing it or whatever you want to call it. I know he isn't programming the thing.

What was Dante suppose to be like as a teenager though? He is already a bitch in his 30's. Making him just as cool when he is a teenager would not make much sense. But, that's the Japanese design philosophy.

[quote name='panzerfaust']He's overseeing it or whatever you want to call it. I know he isn't programming the thing.[/QUOTE]
And you think playing new builds and giving them advice is taking up all of his time?

[quote name='icebeast']Wasn't he a teen in DMC 3?[/QUOTE]
I've heard he was in his Thirties. If he was a teenager then that changes my whole view.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I've heard he was in his Thirties. If he was a teenager then that changes my whole view.[/QUOTE]

I think it's supposed to be something like

DMC3 - 19
DMC - 26
DMC4 - 32
DMC2 - 35

Moot point, since apparently Capcom has confirmed it as a reboot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']And you think playing new builds and giving them advice is taking up all of his time?[/QUOTE]

I think you're taking me way too literally here. I know Castlevania isn't taking up all his time or even a lot of it, I just mentioned it because it looks fairly mediocre.

Man.... dmc5 would be so much better if it just didn't exist.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that people who don't like Dante circa DMC3 are losers in real life.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone besides Dallow and Jer getting Move tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Since my old PS3 is about to die I'm debating on getting the PS3 move bundle.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone besides Dallow and Jer getting Move tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Jer will probably slide his money towards Kinect.

What is this "DMC5" everyone speaks of? I only know DmC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back