God of War:Ascension Out Now

[quote name='The 7th Number']Am i alone in thinking this game is a little too silent? I hear music sometimes but many times when it seems there should be music, its dead silent.[/QUOTE]
You are not alone, this is one of the first things I noticed after playing a bit. The game seems too quiet a lot of times. The only other gripe I really have is with the menus. Speaking of the ability screen, I dont get why they left so much empty space in the middle of the screen while the symbols and text are fairly small. The symbols are too small too I think. Not a major problem for obvious reasons though.

Having said that I am still having a blast playing through a new God of War game for the 5th time. Not as cool and awe inspiring as GoW3 but thats to be expected after the bar was raised so high. Greek mythology is still really cool though and this game seems to be just as well made as any of the others.

I still have to play Ghost of Sparta after this and try and get platinums on both to round out my collection on all the PS3 GoW games.

Campaign:
Overall it's an okay experience. I like the varied combat and how you're better off using your multiple abilities in battle. GoW III although really fun was just about the blades and gauntlets. The ending battle felt epic which was cool. On the downside, yeah the sound and music would glitch during the campaign. The sound effects sometimes weren't in sync with the action which took away from the moments I thought. It was really annoying to backtrack through the same levels you just previously advanced. Not sure if they ran out of room or something but it just felt like I played 5 different levels and the other half of the time I was just going back through the same places with new abilities (dafuq!?). The set pieces and battles didn't feel as epic. I think the game suffers from not having the types of gods/enemies from the Greek mythologies so you settle for a bunch of random enemies. SP was disappointing but worth the playthrough.

Multiplayer:
Is pretty fun. FFA mode is probably the best if you like the most chaotic and frenetic battles. 4x4 is just right 8x8 is too much but I like how it really isn't about hack and slash in MP. To really own at this game, you have to be smart in how you play and balance out your use of abilities vs. heavy attacks vs. blocking vs. parrying vs. use of traps vs running around getting health. The combat battle is deeper and varied and you need some strategy to play well here or you're just toast if you expect to mash away. MP was a lot better than expected. I'm going to play this over the course of the DLC I expect.

Has there been any word on a digital version for the game?

IIRC, one of the blog maintainers on the PSBlog in EU said a digital copy should have been out a week or two ago. But after that, nothing.

There's been no word about it for NA PSN. God of War 3 not being on PSN tells me that Ascension's not going to be on their either due to size issues or whatever.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/26/god-of-war-ascension-update-1-03-deploys-today/

Here's some information on update 1.03 that is supposed to be out now:
Champions! With God of War: Ascension out in the wild for two weeks now, we’re seeing our ever-growing community becoming a legion of champions in multiplayer and thousands conquering Kratos’ latest single-player journey. We’ve been listening to every bit of constructive feedback on our boards, Twitter, Facebook, here on PlayStation.Blog, and around the internet stratosphere. Rest assured that our development team at Sony Santa Monica is committed to supporting you.

FACTOID: Ares is the most popular God allegiance thus far, but also has players with the lowest overall skill rating. Hades is the second most popular, and the highest skill rated players, evil incarnate FTW!

We’re pleased to announce the release of our latest 1.03 update, deploying today. Though this update may be small, it throws an added support line at the Trial of Archimedes, and enhances multiplayer customization with a new appearance feature for your Champion – we call them “Marks”.

We received extensive feedback from the community that the “Trial of Archimedes” section (Chapter 28) near the end of the game was excessively challenging. In every God of War game, establishing a well-paced difficulty ramp towards the end of the game is paramount to us. Based on player response, the degree of challenge offered here was short of our goal of being perfectly balanced.

In the 1.03 update, at the end of each elevator stage (three total), players will now receive a measured amount of green health orbs and a nominal amount of blue magic orbs. This change affects all difficulty levels. We are confident this revision will address feedback regarding “Trial of Archimedes” while still preserving the level of challenge appropriate for this late section of the game.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. Good fortunes in your quest to conquer the Trial of Archimedes and complete Kratos’ ascension!

As noted, 1.03 also adds “Marks” for added customization to your Champion in multiplayer, and 8 additional new tints, including “Ash”. Now you have an opportunity to become a “Marked Warrior”. These are the six mark’s we’ve added in this update, with more to come:

Mark of the Thief, for HADES
Mark of the Trojan, for ALL
Mark of the Spartan, for ALL
Mark of the Legionnaire, for ARES
Mark of the Mercenary, for ZEUS
Mark of the Deep, for POSEIDON

Unfortunately, the time necessary to diagnose and explore audio issues cited by many of our fans during their play experiences made a solution in time for inclusion in the 1.03 update unfeasible. Despite this, we are still very aware of these reports, we continue to monitor user experiences in this regard, and we are working as quickly as possible to find a fix. We understand that this issue is of particular frustration for many of you in the community; your patience is greatly appreciated!

This is just the beginning of post-launch support for God of War: Ascension. As stated previously, we have an influx of DLC in the weeks ahead to support your strategic play-style, and an unannounced 4th weapon class. We’re also exploring other new enhancements we can’t disclose just yet, however you can try asking The Oracle (aka @SonySantaMonica) – you never know.

Now do well warrior, ascend! And stay in touch with everything God of War on our official site.

this game isnt all that great. maybe after platting the other 5 GoW titles, im just burnt out on the formula. Santa Monica needs to rest this IP and come out with something fresh.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah.[/QUOTE]

Where is the code? Is it on another sheet? I don't think that mine came with it then... Do I have to call up Sony to get a code?

[quote name='jkircos']Where is the code? Is it on another sheet? I don't think that mine came with it then... Do I have to call up Sony to get a code?[/QUOTE]
It's either on its own pamphlet in the steelcase or it's on the same pamphlet as the online pass/season pass.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's either on its own pamphlet in the steelcase or it's on the same pamphlet as the online pass/season pass.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will have to double check when I get home.

[quote name='jkircos']Where is the code? Is it on another sheet? I don't think that mine came with it then... Do I have to call up Sony to get a code?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is included. It is it's own pamphlet half advertising the Last of Us and the other half advertising PS All-Stars Battle Royale. You'll find it inside the steelcase.

There has been an issue with some CE's that were packed with only the standard edition online pass instead of the CE online pass. You'll need to contact Sony customer support if that happens to be your case. They'll require photos and a receipt as proof.

Online play is pretty smooth for me. I haven't noticed any lag issues so far. I'm surprised they took out the Challenge mode in this version. The gameplay mode where you try varying types of enemies/objectives. It would be cool for GoW purists to get that added back in as a DLC but my guess is the future DLC will be intended for MP support.

Is there an expiration date on the PS All Stars DLC code? I bought the Saga collection along with this so it may be a while before I actually open Ascension.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is there an expiration date on the PS All Stars DLC code? I bought the Saga collection along with this so it may be a while before I actually open Ascension.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed it to look at it for you. It says valid 3/1/2013-3/31/2014

So its good for a entire year before it goes dead.

[quote name='YBX87']i just have a question regarding the online multiplayer, it is laggy or glitchy at all?[/QUOTE]

Aside from some matchmaking issues the first few days, I haven't experience any lag or bugs in the multiplayer yet. You might find yourself in the middle of an 8 way beatdown and not know what the hell is going on every now and then, but there are escape items to help with that sort of thing.

I got the plat last night, there's definitely a lot less memorable moments in this one than previous entries but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I thought the different elements were fun to use, I mostly stuck with ice/fire though. My biggest complaint is how the camera would zoom out a little too much on some parts and it was hard to see what the hell was going on. I briefly dabbled in the MP, but I couldn't really get into it.

you can use chapter select for "if it aint broke" but you must play chap 13-19 in 1 sitting. for fully loaded, just load up the furnace chapter and keep farming guys at the fire portion.

I like the combat and presentation of the game but it has some of the worst autoplatforming sections I have ever played. Completely random misses and getting stuck mid jump when walls/floors fall out. It is pretty bad and I normally like stuff like this from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I like the combat and presentation of the game but it has some of the worst autoplatforming sections I have ever played. Completely random misses and getting stuck mid jump when walls/floors fall out. It is pretty bad and I normally like stuff like this from Uncharted and Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

out of the game u listed, the new "tombraider" probably has the most polished platforming style gameplay.

This was definitely missing that "it" factor that the previous GoW games. The sound was off somehow and not having badass/well known Greek Gods to kill hampered the story a bit.

I still love the style of gameplay and as always the graphics are top notch so I hope Santa Monica can get back to the drawing board and start a new series with similar asthetics on PS4.

I recently started this game again on hard to get the platinum. Everything was pretty manageable up until the trial of archimedes. Even after the update im having a very hard time even getting to the 2nd of 3 trials. Up until this point there were a few spots i had to keep doing over but would get past them after 3 or so tries. This ive tried at least 10 times and only got to the 2nd wave once. Then i died and there wasnt even a checkpoint. I guess all they did to make it easier was give you more orbs between rounds. I only need 4 more trophies to get platinum too. Ive have platinum for every God of War game but Ascension.

I was able to get passed this today, it was hard. I think just getting to the second level is the hard part, and getting their with some health. Then the next thing is trying to get past that hammer guy in the second level. After that it was pretty easy. 3rd stage is a joke compared to the first stage.

Then i went on to finish the game. Now i think i need 3 more trophies to get platinum. :)

Well I have a God of War III question.  I know it is old so I am a bit behind but this game keeps freezing on me to the point where I cannot get past a certain section. Freezes every time on the same part where I am climbing this chain to get to the Fire of Olympus.  The disk looks fine. Is it my save? The audio starts to loop on me and then it sticks on the a loading screen. Really frustrating.  Anyone have a fix. I have a new superslim so I do not think it is the system. I just played 27 hours of The Last of Us without one problem.

Well I have a God of War III question. I know it is old so I am a bit behind but this game keeps freezing on me to the point where I cannot get past a certain section. Freezes every time on the same part where I am climbing this chain to get to the Fire of Olympus. The disk looks fine. Is it my save? The audio starts to loop on me and then it sticks on the a loading screen. Really frustrating. Anyone have a fix. I have a new superslim so I do not think it is the system. I just played 27 hours of The Last of Us without one problem.
i never had that issue when i played the game about 3 weeks ago.

Well I have a God of War III question. I know it is old so I am a bit behind but this game keeps freezing on me to the point where I cannot get past a certain section. Freezes every time on the same part where I am climbing this chain to get to the Fire of Olympus. The disk looks fine. Is it my save? The audio starts to loop on me and then it sticks on the a loading screen. Really frustrating. Anyone have a fix. I have a new superslim so I do not think it is the system. I just played 27 hours of The Last of Us without one problem.
That's a very strange problem. The only thing I can think of is to delete the game's cache files and patches, and let those re-install/re-update.

That's a very strange problem. The only thing I can think of is to delete the game's cache files and patches, and let those re-install/re-update.
Thanks. I ended up trading it today. I will wait for it to get a cheap digital sale at this point. I still have the two PSP HD remakes to play so I am not sweating it for now.

Thanks. I ended up trading it today. I will wait for it to get a cheap digital sale at this point. I still have the two PSP HD remakes to play so I am not sweating it for now.
You sold the game? I had a problem similar to that only it was when I was talking to hephestus ,what I did was just paused and in paused and let the game catch up. Hopefully you have better luck in the future.

My friends mom borrowed my copy of GOW III and she ran into a glitch after smashing the chest of of Hades. When she jumped in the statue the screen went black and you can just hear Hades saying "Kratos" "Kratos", etc over and over. I had her delete all the saved data and all files. After starting over and getting back to that part, the game continued to do the same thing. I never had a problem playing my copy or ran into any glitches so I couldn't point my finger to the problem.

Anybody ever run into this glitch?

Seems like this game has a lot of audio glitches but a simple deletion of the saves should have helped it. Maybe just a faulty disc. Does psn have the downloadable version of gow 3 or no?

bread's done
Back