God of War:Ascension Out Now

I for one am pretty mad about the "bros before hos" trophy. Kratos and Orkos aren't even brothers! Why would they insinuate a biological connection when none actually exists? Speaking as someone who has a brother (and is therefore a brother to someone else), I find this offensive! I think we pretty much HAVE to boycott at this point.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you want to go completely off the deep end of reasonable discussion about this, then have fun. I've never seen anybody take the phrase "Bros before Hos" so seriously and literally when it's about a dude helping out another dude over a woman, usually a girlfriend, wife, or family member. I've never heard that phrase used in the sort of malicious way that you are suggesting that it's being used here.

The trophy is earned after the cutscene where Orkos helps Kratos escape, not after the fight where he's killed the Fury. If that was their intention, you'd get it right after the killing blow. It's not calling her a whore unless you want it to do that.[/QUOTE]

So you didn't read the comment link I posted then.

Ho = whore and the hoes the trophy is referring to are obviously the Furies, and you said it yourself: the phrase "bros before hoes" is about valuing men's needs over women's needs. The trophy is definitely saying "YEAH fuck THOSE STUPID WHORES" while giving the player a high five and collar pop. Even if it was meant as a joke (which it most surely was), it occurs after Kratos brutally tries to murder a female avatar. Those three words give the scene an intention that neither the player nor Kratos had while playing through it, and much after the fact. Like I said before, it would be like Resident Evil 5 attributing your gameplay in the middle section of the game to racial prejudice instead of survival after you had already killed all of the Majini. Just because you take the phrase as a joke doesn't mean that it isn't inherently offensive. I don't walk around saying "$$$$A PLEASE" jokingly or making dead baby jokes around a pregnant mother. It was a bullshit decision and it's a low blow to players who find the phrase offensive. There was simply no good outcome to naming the trophy that way.

I love how it's only ever teenaged/twentysomething males who brush stuff like this off. You never see any women posting Anita Sarkeesian response videos.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']So you didn't read the comment link I posted then.

Ho = whore and the hoes the trophy is referring to are obviously the Furies, and you said it yourself: the phrase "bros before hoes" is about valuing men's needs over women's needs. The trophy is definitely saying "YEAH fuck THOSE STUPID WHORES" while giving the player a high five and collar pop. Even if it was meant as a joke (which it most surely was), it occurs after Kratos brutally tries to murder a female avatar. Those three words give the scene an intention that neither the player nor Kratos had while playing through it, and much after the fact. Like I said before, it would be like Resident Evil 5 attributing your gameplay in the middle section of the game to racial prejudice instead of survival after you had already killed all of the Majini. Just because you take the phrase as a joke doesn't mean that it isn't inherently offensive. I don't walk around saying "$$$$A PLEASE" jokingly or making dead baby jokes around a pregnant mother. It was a bullshit decision and it's a low blow to players who find the phrase offensive. There was simply no good outcome to naming the trophy that way.

I love how it's only ever teenaged/twentysomething males who brush stuff like this off. You never see any women posting Anita Sarkeesian response videos.[/QUOTE]

You just repeated, almost word for word, the same garbage you posted yesterday.

I have played through the entire game and the word "whore" is never once mentioned anywhere, not in audio, subtitle or in a trophy title. You are pulling the word "whore" out of your ass to strengthen an already weak point.

I would suggest spending less time watching Adam Sessler's reviews and more time thinking for yourself.

The trophy is definitely saying "YEAH fuck THOSE STUPID WHORES"

No its not. You're saying that.

[quote name='GBAstar']You just repeated, almost word for word, the same garbage you posted yesterday.

I have played through the entire game and the word "whore" is never once mentioned anywhere, not in audio, subtitle or in a trophy title. You are pulling the word "whore" out of your ass to strengthen an already weak point.

I would suggest spending less time watching Adam Sessler's reviews and more time thinking for yourself.

No its not. You're saying that.[/QUOTE]

The trophy, and therefore the game, refers to the Furies as "Hos". What does that word mean again? OH RIGHT.

I still don’t really understand what you are specifically directing your complaint at: are you mad about the violence, or the phrase? If Kratos stole her Three Musketeers candy-bar instead of beating her up, and it still gave you the “bros before hos” trophy, would you be just as irate? This is the point that people are trying to make: the phrase exists separately from the violence… it refers to Orkos choosing Kratos instead of the mothers. Also, aren't the furies supposed to be the bad guys? Do we really need to defend their honor?

If you’re upset about the phrase, well, there’s not much I can say to that, though I’d be curious as to how you ever managed to play through such an explicit game, and the worst thing you took away from it was a frat-boy colloquialism used in a sarcastic manner.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']So you didn't read the comment link I posted then.

I love how it's only ever teenaged/twentysomething males who brush stuff like this off. You never see any women posting Anita Sarkeesian response videos.[/QUOTE]
I did read it, but saw a lot of people asking about the context of what happens because nobody goes into detail about it. They're just making assumptions and getting outraged over the assumptions. There's merit to having discussions on this sort of topic, but it works best when it's focused on a game that actually merits it.

You see the part where it's calling her a whore because that's exactly what you want to see even though it's not saying that at all. I've never said that I took it as a joke. I said that I had never seen anybody ever take it as literally and maliciously as you do. I've never even used the phrase in real life nor the internet, so it's not a part of my vocabulary.

You don't get the trophy after killing her, but after Orkos saves him from the Furies and after you see that the one he thought he killed was now perfectly fine. If it were used in the way that you suggest, it doesn't make any sense in terms of what the phase actually means because Kratos wouldn't be helping a "bro" at the expense of a "ho". It's only when Orkos enters the scene and takes Kratos away from his mothers that it makes sense at all.

I can see that there's not going to be a conclusion to this discussion, so I'll step down from it now to avoid saying the same things over and over again to somebody that's doing the same thing. I'll just say that making the assumption that I'm some stupid teenager is a silly thing to say to try to belittle me or those who don't agree with you. If you want to have a legitimate discussion, you should start by not insulting those you're discussing with.

[quote name='8bitArtist']sessler has no problem listing his favorite nude scenes in video games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWq8Ik-Osg[/QUOTE]

I think he's an idiot but do enjoy some of his reviews. I don't take issue with his score on the game (I've played through the single player and would give it a 3.5 or 4 out of 5) but his review seems like backlash for his inability to clear the final stage without help from a peer.

I cant beleive this is even being discussed. Its a fucking video game. It isnt a real person that is being discussed here. The "hoes" are also the "bad guy" in this game. And Kratos as a character is a dick so this would fit into the setting just fine. Plain and simple, the trophy means nothing derogatory towards women. Anyone who takes this overboard has an agenda.

Yeah really, when i first heard about this, i thought it was 1987 all over again, when people were complaining about being able to beat up women in double dragon. LOL.

I was close to taking the day off for this video game but I chickened out. Everytime there is a big release, I debate whether I should but always back out in the end.

I'm really looking forward to this game since GoW is a favorite of mine. This franchise is what got me to buy a PS3. Since this isn't a true sequel though, I never had huge expectations for this game like I did for part 3. So I know this game won't stack up with the previous iteration. Even though nothing's been announced, I would be shocked if God of War IV is never made. I wonder whether it'll be on the PS4 exclusively or on both PS3 and PS4? If it was exclusive, that game alone would convince me enough to pay for the next gen system.

Also, why is that successful directors seem to change with sequels? David Jaffe was doing just fine with the GoW series before part 3 came out. Then they gave it to Stig. Part 3 was successful but they didn't even bring Stig back for Ascension? What's with the musical chairs of directors? Is it career development? There isn't a ton of PS exclusive franchises bigger than GoW. Jaffe did Twisted Metal but even he went back to it.

I dont think Jaffe was director for #2. I believe every game had a different director (even psp games). I wish Jaffe would have stayed on because his ideas seemed a bit better than what really was made. But overall i still love god of war.

Jaffe left after the first game, but helped a bit with GoWII. Cory Barlog left Sony after GoWII so he could work on something that might've been a Mad Max game. Stig has been working on a big project of his own with another team at Sony Santa Monica, so he wasn't available to work on Ascension.

This might be the strangest, most hilarious and stupidest gaming scandal I've seen in a good long time. Nevermind that God of War is needlessly violent. Nevermind all of the womanizing features of games past: the threesomes, the bare boobies, or the INNOCENT girl getting jammed into a cog to open a door. Nope, it turns out the straw that broke the camel's back was a silly quip that popped-up when you beat a VILLAIN (because you know how they are so deserving of our sympathy), which people then skewed out of context and turned into a cause for outrage.

"For those who don't know him, he a guy who worked at G4TV and tried to white knight Morgan Webb but still ended up not getting her snatch."

Best quote i read LOL. Lost in all this garbage i bet him and other white knights didn't know the trophy was named by a *gasp* female employee.

[quote name='Donut2922']For folks like GBA that played the game already, is it true this game requires an online pass for multiplayer mode?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it, but I remember Sony saying all future Sony titles will have a online pass.

[quote name='Donut2922']For folks like GBA that played the game already, is it true this game requires an online pass for multiplayer mode?[/QUOTE]

every sony exclusive with online that gets released nowadays requires an online pass. 1 trophy is tied to that online pass as well.

Oh okay thanks for the confirm guys. I preordered mine from Best Buy. Hopefully the BB DLC Mjolnir hammer is separate from the online pass.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Last of Us demo won't be available until 5/31.[/QUOTE]

The TLS demo was one of the biggest reasons I was thinking of keeping my pre-order but April was a bit too far away for me to justify it, so now I'm glad I canceled my preorder.

The demo was fun but making the game a prequel feels unnecessary since we already know Kratos' story. I think they should have made it into a direct sequel but then used a "change the past" type of deal.

I thought if they were going to do a true prequel it'd be when Kratos was still a human.

Anyways I liked the game but not enough set it apart from the others. I didn't mind paying retail because I got it a week early and it is one of my favorite franchises. I'll toy around with the multiplayer this week now that it is active and see how I like that.

Oh and my CE came from Amazon. One word. Small.

Then he wouldn't be as much of a badass as he is when he becomes the Ghost of Sparta. I don't like the time travel idea either.

It would be more interesting to explore the consequences of what happened at the end of III and how things change after what Kratos did.

I've gotten to the part where the demo ends and I'm much better at the combat now, though the only thing I don't like is that Kratos falls over after a direct hit. It messes with the rhythm of the combat for me. I do like that I can just knock enemies off of platforms for an instant kill, which seems like much more of a thing in this game than in previous games. It feels like the level design here is a bit more open to that sort of combat by not having all of these fights being walled in.

when will companys stop trying to add on a multiplayer mode just to say their game as the online mode. The online mode for this game is compolete garbage and awful just like many games that add it one to what should be a single player game like far cry 3 and assasians creed games.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Does anyone know how i will get the 10 dollars amazon credit? Is it a code via email, or just instantly added to my account?[/QUOTE]

added to your gift card balance once you get a email saying it's been added.

as for how i like the game well it's what you expect from a god of war game. I will add that to me the story and action in this game is not that epic as first 3 games just seems like this game was rushed so it was out before ps4 came out.

Yes, to play online you'll need to redeem the code that comes with the game. Questions to those of you got the game from Gamestop. The code for Leonidas skin is also the same code to unlock the mythological pack skins right? On the receipt there's only one code... I haven't redeem the code yet since I'm still playing the single play story mode.

I got the receipt code and a voucher with a code from the CE. I have no idea what they gave me outside of a cool new avatar.

[quote name='strizay']I got the receipt code and a voucher with a code from the CE. I have no idea what they gave me outside of a cool new avatar.[/QUOTE]
The voucher code that comes with the CE does a lot of things (I got the CE too). This code is explained fully on the insert. The CE voucher code has the following:

1. Online pass, also a season pass to unlock all future DLC (different from regular edition which only contains the generic online pass).
2. Unlock soundtracks
3. 48 hours of XP boost

Hey Strizay, did you redeem the GS code that's on the receipt? Did it unlock the mythological pack skins as well as Leonidas skin?

I did redeem the gs code but it didn't seem like anything happened. There was no download or anything like there was with the voucher.

[quote name='strizay']I did redeem the gs code but it didn't seem like anything happened. There was no download or anything like there was with the voucher.[/QUOTE]
Oh boy... Sorry to hear that... I'm going to try it and see what happens.

This argument over the trophy is so stupid.

It's god of war where you kill everything in sight. You can even kill innocent civilians. You have threesomes all the time. You decapitate shit, tear limbs off, use people as human puzzle pieces to jam into shit. And am sure I forgot to mention other violent things over the past 5 games. And the thing that gets people upset is what a frat boy would say? Go home attention seeking Sessler, you're drunk. Should that be censored as well? Is it promoting being drunk to white males?

They should have named it "Allegiance to male comrades before women who sell their bodies for money" so they wouldnt offend the hoes.

Hmmm my Amazon order is now in my city. It said its "in transit" (fed ex) in my city at 5:23 am. Wonder if i will get it today, though estimate arrival says thursday. Usually UPS would say "Out for delivery", not sure if In Transit is the same for Fed Ex or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played some more of the single-player, which is still quite good. Got a trophy for cutting open the Juggernaut's head (the elephant mini-bosses from the E3 gameplay video) so that the brain falls out. Nothing controversial there. :lol: I did find it funny that the supposed innocent woman that was mostly unrelated to the controversial trophy was trying to lure Kratos into a harem trap before he saw through it and Magaera took control the situation again.

I figured out that grappling and throwing the bugs turns them into a grenade, which is pretty cool.

Started up the tutorial for the MP to see that they tie it into the SP in an interesting way. The warrior you see near the end of the SP demo that is nearly killed is transported to Olympus and is forced to choose a god to align himself with which to fight for in the MP. I enjoyed the MP beta because it was something different that worked better than I thought it would. I chose Poseidon for my first character, which has some interesting perks. I probably won't play the MP just yet.

For anybody that thinks their pre-order codes didn't work, try going to the Media tab of the PSN account page here and clicking on the God of War: Ascension service listing that should list all of the DLC you've got right now. That stuff mostly all seems to be in the game already, so it doesn't require you to download it after redeeming the code. It'll just unlock it from within the game the next time you access the MP.

I've been playing the SP thus far and I enjoy it. Sure the story is whatevs so far but I do like the combat more now than in the past. It's still button mashing but it's more varied this time around that you can do more. Any franchise like this always is open to becoming stale so I'm not sure what people expected. I'd argue anything but a next gen sequel and people would bitch "same old game; now it's boring blah blah blah." At least Santa Monica is trying to do something new and fresh. Something you don't see a lot nowadays. Adding a multiplayer component is a big change to at least keep the interest level in this game going for a long time.

I played the MP beta only and it was a lot better than what I had expected. Aside from getting used to playing as some no-name character other than Kratos, the battle sequences are actually challenging and different. Action adventure, multiplayer feels fresh enough for me. There's always one game for a specific MP game type for me: CoD for military shooters, Mortal Kombat for fighting, Gears for TPS, and now this game fills that hack and slash MP fill. I think this mode is an easy target for criticism because some GoW loyalists will always view this franchise as only a campaign. As a perspective, realize this was bound to get stale if nothing was going to change. So I personally like the idea of MP - even as a GoW "purist." It's not everyday games like this come out - so enjoy it while you can, bitches! God of War is out!!!

I want to pick up this game but I thinki rather wait for a price drop or two. Only because I can't play it on the ps4. Plus I need to finish to finish part 2. I've started it twice....lost my game save once, and had to start over. I don't think I can get tiredd of a good action game. It's not a over saturated genre like FPS games are today.

bread's done
Back