God of War:Ascension Out Now

I wouldn't have bought this if the MP Beta wasn't so awesome. However, I did so and last night plus today I managed to play through the SP.

I feel like there must be something I'm missing, because the combat in this game was the worst of the console games for me. It felt like every single enemy was resistant to basic attacks. Combos just went out the window because you have no time to do anything. Almost everything Kratos does just feels weak and underpowered (even fully leveled), except the ringout grapples. The fury system only rewards flawless play, which is irritating and unwelcome, as you're locked out of over half your moves when it isn't filled.

The new grapple is really nice, but the auto aim is pretty bad and prioritizes the wrong enemies.

The best addition is actually the improved dodging. You're not limited to just 4 directions anymore. That screwed me up so many times in the previous games.

Also, this game has the fewest extras for singleplayer of the entire series. Even weaker than God of War 3.

Also, that last multi-wave minion fight was horrible. So many deaths...

I hope they just let this series rest and start a spiritual successor with Norse or something else.

[quote name='strizay']I did redeem the gs code but it didn't seem like anything happened. There was no download or anything like there was with the voucher.[/QUOTE]

I just redeemed my amazon mythological pack and it didnt do anything except tell me what i was getting. Maybe everything is on disc and these things just unlock them? IDK but i was expecting to have to download something.

yep, same here. Did you try MP yet, that's where it's supposed to be. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know.

I dont have the game yet, getting it tomorrow hopefully via mailman. But i got my amazon codes emailed to me. Oh and the 10 dollars credit is a code i have to use when im checking out on my next amazon order.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10569231&postcount=189[/QUOTE]

Thanks...

God of War: Ascension™

God of War: Ascension™ Achilles Multiplayer Armor
God of War: Ascension™ Champions Multiplayer Armor
God of War: Ascension™ Champions Blade Multiplayer Weapon
God of War: Ascension™ Odysseus Multiplayer Armor
God of War: Ascension™ Orion Multiplayer Armor
God of War: Ascension™ Perseus Multiplayer Armor

I got my CE today. The steelbook is kind of nice, but i dont like the cd holder in the middle. Its kind of hard to get it out of, and i wont be taking the disc in and out of this case a lot, i fear it might break the disc. Also i already see paint chipping off the case on the edges. -_- But the kratos figure is pretty big, bigger than i thought it would be.

The theme and avatars are disappointing. I dont even like them over my hades theme and chains of olympus avatar.

Does anyone know if these Playstation all-star battle royal characters are worth anything? It came with Zeus and Isaac clarke. Im not going to use this, thought maybe i could trade the code away, unless these are free another way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I'm crazy, the only points that Linda Hunt is narrating anything in regards to the story are the game's introductory video and the single-player's introductory story. The story may not have been great in the previous games, but you knew what was going on because Linda popped in periodically to tell you what's going on, where Kratos is headed, and why he must do this.

It doesn't seem like they did much to explain what Kratos is doing beyond that after you escape from Magaera, so I'm confused as to why I'm trying to get these giant snakes to turn this wheel around a tower to reach a mysterious building for some reason. This whole sequence began with the notion that I needed to escape the Furies after a warning by Orkos, but they haven't even been a factor for an hour or so now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Unless I'm crazy, the only points that Linda Hunt is narrating anything in regards to the story are the game's introductory video and the single-player's introductory story. The story may not have been great in the previous games, but you knew what was going on because Linda popped in periodically to tell you what's going on, where Kratos is headed, and why he must do this.

It doesn't seem like they did much to explain what Kratos is doing beyond that after you escape from Magaera, so I'm confused as to why I'm trying to get these giant snakes to turn this wheel around a tower to reach a mysterious building for some reason. This whole sequence began with the notion that I needed to escape the Furies after a warning by Orkos, but they haven't even been a factor for an hour or so now.[/QUOTE]

How far are you into the game? It jumps around a little bit. Not the greatest story and since you know the ending (i.e. the other 5 games) this story really isn't all that important... but I agree I think it's the weakest thus far.

I'm 2.5 hours in after beating the
Manticore
boss. I'm sure if the story were to be laid out in front of me that it would be fine, but not having any context for what's going on in is weird after having Linda Hunt narrate his actions in all of the previous games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm 2.5 hours in after beating the
Manticore
boss. I'm sure if the story were to be laid out in front of me that it would be fine, but not having any context for what's going on in is weird after having Linda Hunt narrate his actions in all of the previous games.[/QUOTE]

It is Bizarre. I love how the story jumps around chronologically yet you still have all your powers/upgrades throughout the game regardless of where you are in the timeline.

I really like how when you go to finish some of the mini bosses instead of QTE you jump on them and then do a combo of square or triangle to inflict damage and then use the L joystick to dodge their attacks until Kratos finishes them.

I just finished a mega man game earlier on my vita so I haven't gotten it figured out quite yet but it seems like some of the enemies in GOW are charged by one of the four magics (fire, ice, electricity, death/souls) and I wonder if each has a weakness (i.e. ice/fire) and your best suited to use one magic against the other?

I ran through my first play through really quickly on normal (I think that was almost too easy for me but I'm very good at God of War games---about the only games I'm good at) and just button mashed without much strategy so I don't really know one way or the other.

So yea, apparently part of the game was a bit too hard, so it's getting patched.

One particular section of Sony Santa Monica's God of War: Ascension has players quite miffed: the Trial of Archimedes. It's a long gameplay encounter near the end of the game, with no checkpoints and few health drops.

Game director Todd Papy took to Twitter to say the developer is "looking into patching it" now. "I personally tuned it. I didn't mean for it to be so hard. We are looking into patching it," Pappy wrote in one tweet. In another, he said the patch was likely to arrive "very soon."

God of War: Ascension launched on PS3 this week. In our review, we likened Ascension to "a car riding in the spectacle slipstream of its predecessors, never quite able to surpass them."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/14/god-of-war-ascensions-tough-trial-of-archimedes-to-be-patche/

[quote name='aspen1284']Preordered from Best Buy but got two seperate emails with different DLC codes...was there suppose to be 2?[/QUOTE]

I got one, it's the code for the mythological armors and the hammer weapon. I think you're getting the same thing twice.

[quote name='strizay']OK, keep us updated.[/QUOTE]

The Gamestop code is Leonidas and the mythological armors. Like what Frisky said, go to the MP screen and you'll see the items.

I haven't finish the game yet and I think I'm not even close to the middle, but from what I've experienced so far, this game is a rock solid ride. The only regret I have is not unlocking the "Bros before Hoes" trophy before the patch. On the contrary, I think using "Foes" to imply "Hoes" is even more demeaning. Question, for those of you unlocked the "Hoes" trophy (story related, it can't be missed), does it still display it that way in your trophy list? I'm guessing not, the patch probably fixed the wording...

I just finished the part where you ride snakes and then defeat the lion/goat/snake beast. I really hope it gets better than this. So far its been pretty average, and i love God of War.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I just finished the part where you ride snakes and then defeat the lion/goat/snake beast. I really hope it gets better than this. So far its been pretty average, and i love God of War.[/QUOTE]

It starts off really slow. The first few chapters (what you're describing with the snakes) was by far my least favorite in this game. It gets better as it goes.

[quote name='Serpentor']I got one, it's the code for the mythological armors and the hammer weapon. I think you're getting the same thing twice.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, both the codes are different. They had to redo my purchase at BBY cause they were having some issues. Wonder if I just got lucky and got 2 codes because of this... Thanks for the info.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']So yea, apparently part of the game was a bit too hard, so it's getting patched.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/14/god-of-war-ascensions-tough-trial-of-archimedes-to-be-patche/[/QUOTE]

The whole game is fine difficulty wise up until this point near the end and than its just fucking ridiculous. It's like they didn't even have anybody test this section! There's no reason why there has to be 3 levels of enemies, no health, and no checkpoints; it's not fun or challenging, just tedious. Oh well time to give it another shot...

Smd Todd Papy

Edit: Chapter 28 breaks the game. Back to redbox you go, maybe I'll finish it once they fix it.

I freakin' love this game. It still has the feel of the old GOW titles. The only complaint is that Kratos is hard to find sometimes. Like where's Waldo.

[quote name='aspen1284']Hmmm, both the codes are different. They had to redo my purchase at BBY cause they were having some issues. Wonder if I just got lucky and got 2 codes because of this... Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]
Right, the codes are different of course, but they will redeem the same DLC items, you might want to consider trading the one of them. I don't think the system checks for items you unlocked, so redeeming both codes from BB is an overkill.

Can someone explain this to me. When i have the Fire of Ares equipped, i can press R2 and it does something special. But any of the other ones, Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon dont do anything.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Can someone explain this to me. When i have the Fire of Ares equipped, i can press R2 and it does something special. But any of the other ones, Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon dont do anything.[/QUOTE]

You have to level up the other powers/magics before you can use the "R2 magic move"

Edit: That's one of the things I disliked about the GOW games; it seemed like in almost every game despite getting other weapons or powers I primarily used just one (it seemed like their was always one that was the most powerful or useful).

Each element requires you to level them up to gain access to both L1 attacks and ultimately the R2 magic attack. They give you an easy road to mastering Ares' fire so that you have something to start off with right away while you build up the other elements.

The Hades power is quite powerful with the L1 attacks and the way the full basic combo and rage attacks put damage on all enemies. It's all I'm using five hours in now that I've got a handle on how it works.

I'd say that Ghost of Sparta had a great set of weapons that I switched between all of the time. God of War 3 was mainly switching between the gauntlets and blades of chaos.

[quote name='Jodou']Wait, the game is hard? Maybe I will buy it afterall; after a significant price dorp, that is.[/QUOTE]I kinda wonder will this be the Sony exclusive the returns to the normal no drop lower than $50 for like 5 months. There last 2 didn't hold well & where $40 MSRP before you knew it.

One thing i really love about this game is being able to slice and dice enemies, then try to avoid their attacks when finishing them off. Instead of hitting QTE buttons. The only problem is sometimes i dont know when im supposed to do this, because i dont want to be mashing a button and then a QTE button appears and i fail it right away. I really wish they would move away from QTE all together and just move more towards this new system. Like when you finish off the elephant. It feels more natural, and instead of trying to look at the sides of the screen to see what button i have to press, im more focused on whats going on in the middle of the screen.

[quote name='The 7th Number']One thing i really love about this game is being able to slice and dice enemies, then try to avoid their attacks when finishing them off. Instead of hitting QTE buttons. The only problem is sometimes i dont know when im supposed to do this, because i dont want to be mashing a button and then a QTE button appears and i fail it right away. I really wish they would move away from QTE all together and just move more towards this new system. Like when you finish off the elephant. It feels more natural, and instead of trying to look at the sides of the screen to see what button i have to press, im more focused on whats going on in the middle of the screen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean.

I like the new combat system but your post makes me laugh because I've found myself in the same boat.

Like when you mount an enemy... and you're expecting an QTE so I tense up waiting for the signal to press "X" or "Square" only to find out it is one those new situations where your supposed to attack and dodge to kill the enemy.

I just now got around to trying out MP and I jumped into solo Trial of the Gods mode first. It's cool so far, though it's hard to do much with a fresh character. I'll give the 2P version a try soon.

I'll be doing a stream of God of War: Ascension single-player and maybe multiplayer if my bandwidth allows, if anybody here wants to see it in action.

Just finished the game. I would probably give it a 7/10. Not my favorite god of war game, but still pretty fun. It kind of felt short, but maybe thats cos i keep going back to the same areas. There didnt seem to be any real memorable parts. Maybe when you see the head of Heckatocraphes or whatever his name is. But other then that not many memorable bosses or sights like in past GOW games. Most of the level design just felt okay. Nothing special like past GOW games. Again the music seemed like it was too silent in parts. And the story telling, direction was just okay.

Is there really no challenge of the gods type mode?

No sex mini game? Not that i care really, but there is always one in every game.

Perfect, i went to start a new game+ to see if i unlocked any cool costumes and there really wasnt any good ones. Olive colored Kratos, and then some generic looking guys in random outfits. So when i back out my save is gone, now i cant just pick a chapter to get the 1 artifact i missed. Oh well.

Overall, as a big god of war fan, all i can say is im pretty disappointed in it all. I bought the CE, and other than the figure, the rest of it was meh. This game had Kratos, but didnt really feel like a true GOW game.

played and I got magic fire blades. after I beat the next wave of enemies (first mobs that can't be grabbled) the game froze. has this happened to anyone? some patch downloaded before I started if that means anything

Finally finished this earlier today. Enjoyed it quite a bit, as the story starts to pick up after that initial lull when heading to the Oracle's palace and ends in a nice place. I didn't necessarily need the story when I first stared, but it was nice to see Kratos in more of a reasonable state than he is in the rest of the games. The infamous Trials were a pain in the ass at first, but it got a little easier once I made better use of the time and clone items in battles to better manage crowds. I really enjoyed the final boss fight and thought it was one of the better fights they've had to end a game in the series.

I don't think there's anything else that they could do with the series without taking on the ending of III and figuring out how that changes things in the world for Kratos or rebooting the series in a new mythology. I didn't see what else could be done after Ghost of Sparta either, but I don't know that there's any other major figures of Greek mythology that haven't been touched on yet at any point of these six games that would justify a new entry. This game was kind of built upon just the Furies and how they figured into Kratos' journey.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Finally finished this earlier today. Enjoyed it quite a bit, as the story starts to pick up after that initial lull when heading to the Oracle's palace and ends in a nice place. I didn't necessarily need the story when I first stared, but it was nice to see Kratos in more of a reasonable state than he is in the rest of the games. The infamous Trials were a pain in the ass at first, but it got a little easier once I made better use of the time and clone items in battles to better manage crowds. I really enjoyed the final boss fight and thought it was one of the better fights they've had to end a game in the series.

I don't think there's anything else that they could do with the series without taking on the ending of III and figuring out how that changes things in the world for Kratos or rebooting the series in a new mythology. I didn't see what else could be done after Ghost of Sparta either, but I don't know that there's any other major figures of Greek mythology that haven't been touched on yet at any point of these six games that would justify a new entry. This game was kind of built upon just the Furies and how they figured into Kratos' journey.[/QUOTE]

Just finished the game tonight and I agree. Loved the boss fight, and had an amusing "damn, Kratos" moment when he
didn't want to kill Orkos.
It was nice to see a more mellow Kratos for a change. I actually thought the trials were a nice challenge for what was otherwise a pretty easy game, and I think a lot of the reviewers complaining that the section was absurdly difficult were just trying to mash their way through the battles. Overall, while not my favorite GoW game, I certainly wasn't disappointed with it. I feel like this could have been a perfect Vita entry for the series, and maybe people would have been less harsh about it.

I kind of hope that in the next game, they either get crazy with it and find some wacky excuse to pit Kratos against other pantheons, or as you mentioned, do some sort of reboot with a new mythology. Hell, I'd even be happy to see a game based on that unlockable movie from the first game, where modern day explorers find the remains of Cronos and enter the temple.

Yeah I've got all of them. I'm probably just going to run back through the whole game once more. Shouldn't be that bad considering I know where they all are now.

I would prefer they add an option to lower the difficulty if you are doing poorly, like they used to, and perhaps add checkpoints on easy. I didn't find the trials terribly difficult, but it's easy to see how it could frustrate some players and lessen the experience for them.

I just made it to the Furnace about a half hour ago. They should have made the patches optional. seeing Bros before Foes pop up made me mad for some reason. The elevator that everyone was bitching about, I blew through it like it was nothing. I just kept hitting R2 and when my rage level built up enough, I used it. Really, they should have said, optional update. Not force this censored crap on us.

wow, really. I didn't think I was that close to the end of the game. I just play for like an hour or so at a time. Good thing I have all of the other GOW games to play again. I'm kinda scared of the elevator now, LOL. I thought I beat it already. Looks like we get our rank rewards Wed. I'll probably have it beat by then, I'm in no hurry though. I like to enjoy games when I play them.

Just finished the game, had as much fun as I generally do with these God of War titles. Had some trouble with that Trials area they are going to patch to make it easier but I just had to change my fighting style a bit and actually think about what powers I was using and after that it was easy. First one in a while I had to do that too, instead of just mindlessly slapping my favorite combos together to clear an area.

bread's done
Back