Goozex - 50% off $15+ trade credits packs (Feb 7th - 21st)

[quote name='iRent']You guys really should not put all your eggs in one basket...

It might be a great service but anything can happen in months.[/quote]

It's not like using Goozex in conjunction with GameTZ and CAG is impossible. You can put all the games you want to trade on all three services, and when it gets traded on one, you take it off the others. There's no commitment if you get an offer on any of them.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Goozex is a fundamentally broken trading system. Why the fuck would anyone want to trade a brand new game for 1000 points, which means you get to be #251 in line for Other Brand New Title You Want And Will Never See?

There are a multitude of fixes and suggestions for the essential problem of the site, but they're ignored or outright condemned by the Goozex staff. They really, really want their way to work. It doesn't.[/quote]

But their way is working--lots of people are trading lots of games, and new releases do get put up. The points-based economy is the service they're offering, and most of the suggestions that new users throw out there would make the site identical to ebay, GameTZ, or sayswap--and that's not why Goozex is there.

True, if you want to get a new release for your new release, then yes, one of the other sites will probably be your best bet, unless you're one of the first to request the game. But the fact of the matter is, new releases are hard to come by anywhere, because they just came out, and people want to play them. Regardless, not every user wants new releases, of course new releases are desireable, but most users realize that their are a ton of games out there they never got around to playing, both from last season and on previous generations, and Goozex is a great way to get those games.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Goozex is a fundamentally broken trading system. Why the fuck would anyone want to trade a brand new game for 1000 points, which means you get to be #251 in line for Other Brand New Title You Want And Will Never See?

There are a multitude of fixes and suggestions for the essential problem of the site, but they're ignored or outright condemned by the Goozex staff. They really, really want their way to work. It doesn't.[/quote]

Well a really great thing to do is flip new games you have for 1000 points and get a bunch of older titles, not necessarily other new ones. But even if you do want new games, it's easy to ride 1000 points for quite some time. You just have to know how to work the system.

There are a multitude of fixes and suggestions for the essential problem of the site, but they're ignored or outright condemned by the Goozex staff. They really, really want their way to work. It doesn't.[/QUOTE]

i picked up some newer games that would of cost me cash and got them very quickly

Games i grabbed very quickly what i would of spent cash on

2008 alone
Dinosaur king Ds Saved 30
Valhalla Knights 2 PSP saved 30
Solitaire Overload saved 30
Boktai GBA SAved 10 or 20
Dragon Warrior VII PS1

and sometimes you get a MAJOR FIND

in 2008 major grabs
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes ps 2 (sold for 95 on amazon)

Valkyrie Profile PS1 Complete Still have
Suikoden II ps 1 sold on ebay for 129 bucks
hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth (Premium Edition) with figure still have RARE NEW
Xenogears ps1 Black label worth 50 bucks still have (only paid 200 pts)

Shining Force EXA PS2 sealed saved 30
Futurama PS2 saved 50 bucks still have only paid 100 pts
Suikoden V BRAND NEW saved 50 bucks

Gallop Racer 2006 SEALED saved 50 bucks
Digimon World DS sealed saved 30 bucks

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II ps2 Sold on ebay for 90

so it shows that you can find Great deals on the site

though its probally been few months since i got anything i really wanted

(last game i got was)

Digimon world championship DS (would of cost me 30) Got it first week of jan

so i havent really grabbed anything since Jan 5

I just bought five credits Friday night. :(
I've got 4000 points which isn't as much as some of you, but it's still, what, 200$ "worth" of points?
But I've also only got 9 games on my request queue, a couple of which are still new, a couple of which are XBLA games which aren't listed very often.
I don't think two sales in three months are a bad sign--especially when one of them was targeting gift purchasers. Grocery stores have sales every week and they're generally doing fine.
I do think some price changes don't occur as quickly as they should.
But I also agree that for me, this has been one of the best game trading methods I've found.

Yea I'm stuck with 3700 points that I would prefer to get rid of on new releases, unfortunately I'm stuck in long wait lines, even on games that I stayed up until midnight on release day to put in my queue as soon as they became available. And the last two times I was matched for FIFA 09 the sellers didn't send the game, in which case you have to wait like 3-4 weeks for a refund.

The system is just broken... it's basically only works well for trading your new release games for old games. I won't be sending any more of my games in. Back to awkward, drug-dealer-esque Craigslist cash transactions for me.

Oh, and Civilization Revolution 360 still goes for 1000 points even though it has been $40 new at retail for awhile now. They need a better "algorithm" for assigning points.

[quote name='Trocar']I agree...there is hardly any overhead aside from keeping the website up and running. If they're in a cash crunch, then they will just let a couple employees go, but the website should be pretty much self-sufficient since it's basically a member to member transaction, their website is just the middle man. Easy money for them, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. Depending on how the agreement reads, outstanding point balances could be considered debt. I agree that it's unlikely that there is a cash flow problem though.

Goozex is such a great idea. It's too bad that they're not making it work better by making the point values track used prices more closely.

Goozex is doing fine. Lets be honest, most everyone on the site have 5-6 games on thier list in common right now: Gears 2, Left 4 Dead, CoD-World at War,and Fallout 3 are in high demand with little supply. It's post-Christmas and there aren't a lot of big titles being released right now. When people start finishing the above games or move on to new ones (Resident Evil 5), the supply for these games will go up. I just got Mercenaries 2 and Fary Cry 2 within days of each other. I moved up 30+ spaces in line for each of these in the span of a week because pl;ayers were finishing up their experiences with them and moving on to other games. Unless Goozex moves into the preorder/ merchant business, this will always be the experience you have with them. I know I won't be able to get Gears 2 from this site for a long time, but Goozex allows me to get games that I was interested in but didn't have the funds to purchase originally. Instead of sitting on my points I like to use them to aquire games like Blazing Angels or Beyond Good & Evil, games that I want to enjoy again or experience for the first time. As long as people like us support them, Goozex will be around for a while.

30 credits is a lot, but I do have about 12 games on my wishlist, with many more to be added later this year. I'll probably jump on this deal.

If Goozex had done this deal last year, then they would have received the Cheapy Award hands-down.

[quote name='JJSP']I really don't think they're going anywhere, it's just more of slidecage's constant fear of a company going under.[/QUOTE]

PlayerChain went under taking $40 of my "gamebux" with them.
I also used Switch House up to the point that that folded.

It's really hard to make a media trading site profitable, just FYI and the last people on the boat usually end up either having deals left in limbo forever or lose equity in the sites when they crash.

And good luck spending those points in the final days even if you can see them coming.

[quote name='shieryda']If the site folds, wouldn't they give their users a few weeks to use up the points/credits first? Otherwise, do you think a class-action suit would follow?[/QUOTE]

Read the disclaimers on the website. There are no refunds, voluntary or otherwise. It says this when you purchase the points. And like I said above, good luck being able to make a deal in the final days of a trading site. It's kind of like what we're facing now in the economy with banks who don't want to give loans.

[quote name='jkoch']

Goozex is such a great idea. It's too bad that they're not making it work better by making the point values track used prices more closely.[/quote]
I agree that the point values can be way off in some instances. Mercenaries 2 is a good example. It cost me 850 points ($42.50) to get, but can be bought used at CrapStop for $24.99. It helps to explain the sudden upswing in avalibility on Goozex since its a better seller bargain to get the points than the $5-$8 in Gamestop trade credit.

If the site folds, wouldn't they give their users a few weeks to use up the points/credits first? Otherwise, do you think a class-action suit would follow?

Trading websites that operate on a credit model are all fundamentally flawed systems. Often the model does not address supply/demand or inflation. Eventually they all crash when the users start to move to a fresher competitor who has progressed yet down the inevitable path that all of these sites do. For users who jump ship it's essentially a reboot of the trading difficulties that were building on the former site.

[quote name='shieryda']If the site folds, wouldn't they give their users a few weeks to use up the points/credits first? Otherwise, do you think a class-action suit would follow?[/QUOTE]

idont think they will give notice. One trading place cant remember the name was took over by

GOTTAPLAY or some crap like that...

with no notice. Was a good thing for me though cause i was able to grab 5 very high demand games off that site and push them to goozex for triple the pts or i kept them

i remember i got 3 wii games brand new sealed. Pokemon diamond (2 weeks after it came out and Iris 3 for ps2 right when it came out)

all you got to remember is stay on the right side of the market... meaning i know if they went out tomorrow and even though i got almost 26000 pts i know im still on the + side of cash i spent

like said before got a major game that sold for 100 bucks on ebay that cost me 1000 pts. For that 100 bucks i got i probally picked up 8 to 12 games that got me close to 6ooo to 8000 pts meaning each flip like this will be a net profit of 5000+ pts

so get another 2 major 1000 pt games sell on ebay....

now i have 2500 to 3000 pts and up 200 bucks

Wait, why do people think Goozex is in some sort of trouble? I've gotten about 100 games through Goozex over the last 9 months, and I have no complaints. Granted, I'm not trying to get the latest and greatest games on there. If you want Gears 2, well you have to wait a few months before people are ready to part with it. It's really that simple. If you want tons of high quality games from a year or more ago, you'll get them there, and you'll get them cheap.

By my math I've gotten probably 50 xbox 1 games for about $2 to $3 a piece in terms of what the points actually cost me. I've gotten a bunch of 360 games for about $5 to $7.50 a piece. Again, I try to find good deals on games that are clearanced, and then trade them into goozex. So I get 1000 points for a $15 game, then I turn around and 4-5 360 games or 10 Xbox/PS2 games for that $15 plus $5-$7 in trade credits (again because I try to buy them on sale).

I think the system works great, and these sales are designed to fix the broken market which people speak. If they see there are too many points in the system, they do a sale on credits. Too few points, run a sale on points. That the are running these sales is proof to me that they're on top of the market.

To those people that think the Goozex system is flawed simply just don't know how to work the system. There are ways to get fairly new releases quickly. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Plus, I've been #200+ in line, and took a title off hold and immediately got matched. It's not about what place you are in line, but how many people ahead of you actually have the title activated vs. the number of people actively trading that title. If you want to have the slightest bit of success dealing with Goozex, do what I did and take 10 minutes out of your day and just read around their forums. I went from barely using the site to using it and getting whatever game I want VERY quickly.

Example: I requested Dead Space during Thanksgiving holiday (so it was out a little over a month and I had a long wait in line), and it was on my doorstep December 11th.

[quote name='charlescheese']Wait, why do people think Goozex is in some sort of trouble? I've gotten about 100 games through Goozex over the last 9 months, and I have no complaints. Granted, I'm not trying to get the latest and greatest games on there. If you want Gears 2, well you have to wait a few months before people are ready to part with it. It's really that simple. If you want tons of high quality games from a year or more ago, you'll get them there, and you'll get them cheap.[/quote]

And that's exactly what the problem is for most people.

If I'm trading a new release game I usually want a new release game in return, and I don't want to have to wait for months. But the system makes it difficult for that to happen unless you jump into the request line at midnight for whatever new release game you want. And even then it can be difficult to get close to first in line for really popular games.

Maybe they could come up with a new matching algorithm that takes into account how old the games you supply are. So in addition to getting points for the game, it gives you some sort of a bonus (either visible or underneath the hood) for trading in new release games, effectively giving you higher priority in the wait lines.

I never wait at midnight to add a game to my list. This week I just got matched for Disgaea 3, Fallout 3, Dragon Quest IV, and Final Fantasy XII.

The system may not be the best, but it works pretty darn well. Which is why I just bought 30 credits! I don't believe that Goozex will go under any time soon.

Just because Goozex doesn't work the way you want it to work doesn't mean the system is broken. Plenty of people are fine with the system as it is. If I need a new title and I need it now I'll buy it. You don't sign a contract with Goozex that makes them your exclusive game supplier.

[quote name='Jackaveli']To those people that think the Goozex system is flawed simply just don't know how to work the system. There are ways to get fairly new releases quickly. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Plus, I've been #200+ in line, and took a title off hold and immediately got matched. It's not about what place you are in line, but how many people ahead of you actually have the title activated vs. the number of people actively trading that title. If you want to have the slightest bit of success dealing with Goozex, do what I did and take 10 minutes out of your day and just read around their forums. I went from barely using the site to using it and getting whatever game I want VERY quickly.

Example: I requested Dead Space during Thanksgiving holiday (so it was out a little over a month and I had a long wait in line), and it was on my doorstep December 11th.[/quote]
I spent like 20 mintues on goozex forums. and still cannot figure out what is the way to get a game quickly. It was really frustrating.:roll:

[quote name='chior']I spent like 20 mintues on goozex forums. and still cannot figure out what is the way to get a game quickly. It was really frustrating.:roll:[/quote]

I post frequently on the Goozex forums and I have no idea what he's talking about.

[quote name='Wolfkin']if it was a points sale i might bite but I'm not too into credits like that.[/quote]

how can a person not be into credits, wouldn't you need credits to get and send games... ?

Their business is self contained....it's a service and the functionality is all built in. They don't rely on suppliers or any other market other than the demand for video games. Even if their own debt pulled them under, then the business itself is a self contained asset that requires minimal maintenance (like dispute resolution).

The one thing that would kill Goozex is if everyone stopped trading. Worry about that if the next round of consoles are all download only.

The sad reality of the world we live in is that Goozex is probably safer than Real Estate or T-Bills, at this point.

The only two things I wish Goozex had were the ability to block 0 feedback users from sending to you (since half the time they have no idea how Goozex works), and that people with higher feedback scores got the opportunity to move higher up in the queue. I think good feedback users should be rewarded, no?

I've got almost 8,000 points but was down to 3 trade credits and have been meaning to buy some more for a while now. Glad I waited. Got 30 for $15, and that will hold me for a long time.

Thanks OP.

There are a multitude of fixes and suggestions for the essential problem of the site, but they're ignored or outright condemned by the Goozex staff. They really, really want their way to work. It doesn't.[/QUOTE]

I received Fallout 3 a few weeks ago, and Left 4 Dead and Mirror's Edge are currently in the mail to me -- all from Goozex.

Feel free to ignore the dinosaur, but you do so at your expense. I'm sure having a good time.

I'm now replenished to 38 trades, I do find the PM system still rather fustrating to use, a couiple of users have said the games were mint before shipping out. And those games that came were nowhere near mint!

[quote name='degenerazn']I'd be very surprised if this company makes it thru the end of this year. It have been really shooting themselves in the foot with all these sales. There's pretty much no incentive anymore to send in games if the points are so plentiful and going down in value. I have 1400 points sitting in my account and haven't received a single game in over 4 months. I have absolutely no reason to put any more games up for trade until I get some of the games I want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got I think 8900 points and don't request many games as I just don't play that much anymore. So I only pick up 5-10 games a year max.

I really need to start selling games rather than sending them into Goozex. I just like Goozex as it's so convenient to use.

Goozex has been a great way to unload games I no longer wanted (in hopes of preserving their value and getting something I'd rather own). I haven't actually received many games through the service, though, because I usually find a good deal on the newer games and just bite. Right now, I've got a bunch of points and no trade credits, so I guess I'll probably take advantage of this and get rid of those points :)

I don't think they are in any trouble (they would have to be complete morons to run a business into the ground that has virtually no overhead)... but stranger things have happened. I always wondered what might happen if I had thousands of points stored up and the site suddenly shut down.

If you think about it, though, somebody is going to get left "holding the bag" sooner or later, unless the business just goes on forever... There's really no way for everyone to 'cash out' because using your points just means that somebody else now has them, so it's a neverending cycle of points being circulated in the system. The fact that they sell points without requiring a game to be traded only further compounds this.

It's a great service right now, while it is still operational, but it certainly has potentially to make one hell of a mess should they ever run into problems... It would be like the games stock market crashing, lol.

Unless Goozex bought the points back from everyone, there would be no way to "use up the points first." Remember that when you get a game, you are trading your points to another Goozex user in exchange for their game. If Goozex was about to shut down, nobody would want to send out games anymore.

I have gotten some good deals off Goozex (mostly older-gen stuff) but I'm another who doesn't trust the long-term viability of the model. I'll use it as long as I can occasionally get good stuff, but I won't keep much more than 1k points in my account at any given time.

was wondering how much people blew on this site (just shows how much trades have slowed)

in 2008

October 17, 2008 $ 25.00
August 21, 2008 $ 25.00
May 26, 2008 $ 25.00

so between May and aug 30 credits lasted me 3 months almost

Went though another 30 credits in 2 months in just aug 21 to oct 17

Oct 17 got another 30 credits and still have 17 left today...

so in 4 months i only blew 13 credits compair to the same AUG to OCT 2008 where i blew 30 in 2 months

talk about a major slow down

BUT since i was going to blow 25 bucks in another month or so i just got 60 CREDITS FOR 30..

though i doubt i will need anymore credits for the entire year

also was just matched for

Luminous Arc

might just toss that up on ebay and that will pay for the 60 credits

[quote name='kevlar51']I post frequently on the Goozex forums and I have no idea what he's talking about.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking he was referring to the habit of staying up late on Monday night and catching when the future releases change to new releases.

[quote name='kevlar51']Goozex is going to be part of the new CAG trading system?! OH NO! Is CAG shutting down too?![/QUOTE]

this is going to be interesting since you can NOT Pick who you want the games from right now. Maybe this will be changing.

I think we can officially ignore the "I bet goozex is going out of business because I didn't get a game I want" nonsense h8oraide rumors. It's typical of the type of blogger who does zero research and often spouts a long diatribe about a business model they do not even understand. And it always boils down to some cranky pants anger about something unrelated.

That being said, I bought points before the sale, I dont need any more trade credits ATM :(

it also seems like people are still misunderstanding what Goozex points are. This "class action lawsuit" is typical american thought. We have to sue someone right? Goozex points are not cash value, people claim that they are worth XX.XX dollars, but they are worth nothing. They are simply "points" for a trading system. While goozex will "sell" you points if you want, you can not resell them legally. Points are the values they assign for the games being traded, not sold.

Goozex does not buy or sell games. While this is a simple truism, people assume because they buy points, that those points now have a cash value. They do not, and never will. When you buy points, you did just that, you bought something.

Now if savvy users do a lot of "flipping" on ebay, that is their own doing. If someone can turn games into points, then points into games that they later sell for cash, that has nothing to do w/ goozex.

People have been flipping games for years. I personally do not have the time no interest in flipping, I just use goozex to trade away games I don't want and get games I do want, so far it has worked out ok. I'm not getting AAA games every week for FFF games traded in, but that is not my goal.

The fact that you have to pay them for the opportunity to trade is pretty ridiculous. I hope they don't fuck over CAG's current system as I can barely afford shipping most of the time. $2 just to trade a single game is ridiculous.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The fact that you have to pay them for the opportunity to trade is pretty ridiculous. I hope they don't fuck over CAG's current system as I can barely afford shipping most of the time. $2 just to trade a single game is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

locally used game places charge up to 9 bucks per trade. so 2 bucks per trade is very very sweet (well really 3 bucks when you figure in the 1 buck trade credit)

also

Trading SOul bubbles what i got for free for 2 200 pt games for 2 bucks + shipping is neat : )

[quote name='kevlar51']Goozex is going to be part of the new CAG trading system?! OH NO! Is CAG shutting down too?![/quote]

[quote name='slidecage']this is going to be interesting since you can NOT Pick who you want the games from right now. Maybe this will be changing.[/quote]

We will have our own trading system, independent of Goozex, however, when a game is available from Goozex, that option will present itself.

[quote name='kklems']I was thinking he was referring to the habit of staying up late on Monday night and catching when the future releases change to new releases.[/quote]

That's what I thought too, but his example of requesting Dead Space a month after release doesn't really go with that.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The fact that you have to pay them for the opportunity to trade is pretty ridiculous. I hope they don't fuck over CAG's current system as I can barely afford shipping most of the time. $2 just to trade a single game is ridiculous.[/quote]

They're not a charity. I think $1 to get you in touch with someone other than Gamestop who wants your game is a pretty good deal.

Goozex was great for a long while, but when I checked recently due to a CAG offering points up for cheap, I didn't see many games I wanted that were available, so I didn't buy their points. Also, from what CheapyD says, it doesn't sound like the CAG integration is going to add much. I would like to see Goozex come back to form, but right now it's looking a bit grim. Also, Club Nintendo has to be accounted for by Goozex, at least for me. I'm no longer interested in buying used qualifying Nintendo-published Wii & DS games that don't include the Club Nintendo reg code (and are unregistered), so there needs to be a way to specify that. As it is it's a crap shoot.

baww.png

I'm a little confused why people keep saying Goozex has virtually no overhead. What about their time? I'm sure there's a lot of manual work in maintaining the game database, updating the site, customer service, etc. Even if it's just two guys, they'd probably want a decent salary out of it.

And that's not including the obvious bandwidth and server maintenance costs, which clearly aren't trivial for a site like Goozex.

[quote name='kevlar51']That's what I thought too, but his example of requesting Dead Space a month after release doesn't really go with that.[/QUOTE]

I requested Dead Space about 3 weeks ago and got it yesterday. The games are there, you just have to have an ounce of patience. Reading this thread proved that many people just don't have patience.

Not directed at the above Quotee but at the thread crappers who jumped in this thread--->Why do some people find it necessary to come to threads for deals on things they aren't interested in, only to bash the place offering the deal. You hate Goozex and the way they operate great, yippee for you. Keep it to your fucking self and let those of us that enjoy Goozex, have had it work exactly as we would hope and have found it a great experience revel in the fact that we can pick up some trade credits cheap. I have 6550 points and I am not worried about losing them. I had over 15000 points at one time. I got a ton of games I wanted by sending out games I didn't want. I already got more for my trades than I would have gotten trading them anywhere else so if Goozex goes out of business and I lose my points, I am still way ahead of the game. So I lose those points. I would have gotten about $45 if I had traded those games into GameStop instead I got Fallout 3, Dead Space, Crackdown, Resident Evil Umbrella, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes and a bunch of other games. Goozex closes tonight and I would be sad to lose the service not my points.

If you hate it, stay out of it and the threads about it. That isn't just a good idea for Goozex, keep that in mind for any forum topic anywhere, nobody cares what you think or what you hate, especially if it works for them.

(dismounts soapbox)

bread's done
Back