Got fired over the Best Buy B2G1 promo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone pretty much already said it all. You fucked up, and you got what you deserved. And if you don't honestly see what you did wrong, definitely enjoy your next firing. Can't wait for that thread.

ya, its really time you move on and learn from your mistake and stop trying to justify what you did. you should be focused on what you can do to get another job given your not going to be able to use BB as a reference or for past experience, unless you want your potential employer to know you were fired.

Not only can't he use Best Buy as a reference, but he'll probably never work in retail anytime soon. They likely entered his info into one of those databases companies search prior to hiring anyone. A huge red flag is gonna pop up.

[quote name='Squarehard']You should find a new best friend then, because he probably ratted you out.[/QUOTE]

I know that's my bad. He has a big mouth and I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose.

[quote name='Vulgarism']You knew about a glitch in the system and you took advantage of it to fuck Best Buy out of $50. Do you think $50 is a big deal to them? Of course not. But, you willingly skipped over the stated rules (Which I am sure they are stated somewhere, and if not, it's pretty much logic that they won't give you the most expensive game for free) and did what you did. You can get fired from retail for letting friends use your employee discount. I'm honestly glad I have one less greedy fuck working at Best Buy now. Maybe I'll start shopping there again ;)[/QUOTE]

This deal was going on for a long time and judging by the thread on this very site many people knew about this and also Best Buy knew there was something going on they didn't like. It was them not following their own rules, it's their fault. And everyone is railing on me for bringing my friends, but in the end that doesn't matter since I'm pretty sure they would have fired me if I brought them or not. Also I'm not sure why me working at BB would make it's customer service better or worse based on what I did. I didn't even use the sale as an employee I was buying things as a customer.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Everyone pretty much already said it all. You fucked up, and you got what you deserved. And if you don't honestly see what you did wrong, definitely enjoy your next firing. Can't wait for that thread.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for that thread. So shall we start making bets what he gets fired for at his next job? I say for taking items that were returned as broken that needs to be shipped out, but instead he takes them home since theyre broken and then gives them to all his friends and family. After he gets enough of the broken items he decides to have a garage sale and post the flyers everywhere, including at his store that he will be having a garage sale on broke merchandise he took home from the store. I will be honest though, I am having great fun in this thread. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='beakey56']I know that's my bad. He has a big mouth and I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose.
[/QUOTE]

Does he at least feel bad?

[quote name='Squarehard']I can't wait for that thread. So shall we start making bets what he gets fired for at his next job? I say for taking items that were returned as broken that needs to be shipped out, but instead he takes them home since theyre broken and then gives them to all his friends and family. After he gets enough of the broken items he decides to have a garage sale and post the flyers everywhere, including at his store that he will be having a garage sale on broke merchandise he took home from the store. I will be honest though, I am having great fun in this thread. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Does he at least feel bad?[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go with him taking items straight off the trucks. I mean, they aren't on the store floor, so they aren't technically for sale, so how is it stealing.

Sucks for you...got my games cheap...I couldn't care less what happens to you or anyone else.

This is the sentiment that goes around far too much here and I feel it's detracting from the community, but what can you do?

[quote name='lolwut?']Guys, stop taking the time to respond to this idiot. Let him go back to lurking quietly[/QUOTE]

But I got nothing else better to do at the moment but troll :*(

[quote name='beakey56']It is NOT theft. The sale was buy 2 get 1 free, and I did. I just happened to get the most expensive one free, I was not doing anything against the law.[/QUOTE]
Actually working in corporate retail loss prevention in my state at least that would very well fall under theft by deception. You knowingly exploited a system issue to defraud the company with full knowledge of what you were doing. Know if you were a regular joe consumer we wouldn't go after you as its our issue to fix the problem from occurring, but as an employee of the company I'd definitely pursue prosecution in this case if it was my store your lucky they only fired you and didn't seek further action or restitution.

[quote name='Vulgarism']You knew about a glitch in the system and you took advantage of it to fuck Best Buy out of $50. Do you think $50 is a big deal to them? Of course not. But, you willingly skipped over the stated rules (Which I am sure they are stated somewhere, and if not, it's pretty much logic that they won't give you the most expensive game for free) and did what you did. You can get fired from retail for letting friends use your employee discount. I'm honestly glad I have one less greedy fuck working at Best Buy now. Maybe I'll start shopping there again ;)[/QUOTE]

^-- Winner

Ferris Bueller, you're my hero.

OP really thinks he did nothing wrong? He's either an idiot or this is an elaborate (and unfunny) troll attempt.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Ferris Bueller, you're my hero.

OP really thinks he did nothing wrong? He's either an idiot or this is an elaborate (and unfunny) troll attempt.[/QUOTE]
I assume the former.

[quote name='Squarehard']I can't wait for that thread. So shall we start making bets what he gets fired for at his next job? I say for taking items that were returned as broken that needs to be shipped out, but instead he takes them home since theyre broken and then gives them to all his friends and family. After he gets enough of the broken items he decides to have a garage sale and post the flyers everywhere, including at his store that he will be having a garage sale on broke merchandise he took home from the store. I will be honest though, I am having great fun in this thread. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Does he at least feel bad?[/QUOTE]
I love how everyone assumes that I just makes threads here complaining about things in my life all the time. My main reason for writting this is to see if other people have gotten in trouble over this deal as it seems like a lot of people used it here. I want to know if anyone had any problems with their reward zone cards after this and if anyone else got in trouble from their jobs over this. There are 5-7 people getting fired from my store over this and it sucks.

Arguing with me about whether what I did was right or wrong is pointless because I am not going to change my mind.

I'm glad your having fun though :roll:.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']
OP really thinks he did nothing wrong? He's either an idiot or this is an elaborate (and unfunny) troll attempt.[/QUOTE]

He could have made it off as one if he stopped posting like 7 posts ago, but doesn't look like its a troll attempt at this point. :cold:

[quote name='blissskr'] I'd definitely pursue prosecution in this case if it was my store your lucky they only fired you and didn't seek further action or restitution.[/QUOTE]

Well even if I was in Houston Texas ass face you still wouldn't be able to come after me legally because I didn't do anything against the law.

[quote name='beakey56']
Arguing with me about whether what I did was right or wrong is pointless because I am not going to change my mind.

I'm glad your having fun though :roll:.[/QUOTE]

I was right, you're an idiot. Go to jail.

[quote name='beakey56']I love how everyone assumes that I just makes threads here complaining about things in my life all the time. My main reason for writting this is to see if other people have gotten in trouble over this deal as it seems like a lot of people used it here. I want to know if anyone had any problems with their reward zone cards after this and if anyone else got in trouble from their jobs over this. There are 5-7 people getting fired from my store over this and it sucks.

I'm glad your having fun though :roll:.[/QUOTE]

I actually still have many friends that work at Best Buy, and I think about 10 of them who did this promotion are still not fired. The way they went about it was to abuse it first before anyone realized it, then they brought it up to the manager and then it made them look like the hero and the managers were okay with it. My biggest problem is not so much that you exploited the system, but there are a lot of different ways you could have gone about this. If you were a regular customer, no big deal. Who cares. And even if it isn't illegal, it still was not a great move telling your friend who works for the company and then buying the game yourself. You should have just denied all of it in the first place since you said you paid with cash. You don't have to change your mind, but you probably should accept most people won't change theirs either. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

The problem OP is you are too trusting. First you trusted your friend not to tell anyone. Second you trusted that it will be better if you return the game.

First mistake you made OP was buying so many games. Second mistake you made was telling someone else about it, as they probably 'ratted you out'. Last mistake you made was returning the games you did buy.

I would've told them to eat shit personally.

I must say thanks to the OP. I have not laughed this hard in a good while. Keep up the good work. Please keep us posted when you get fired from your next job!

I would have ratted you out in a heartbeat... you do know bby offers up to $1000 in reward money if you turn in a fellow employee that is stealing. One of your friends just got paid.

[quote name='beakey56']How is it shady? It doesn't say anything about the cheapest one coming out free in the ad[/QUOTE]

LOL. Hey genius. Read the bottom of the ad, it says, and I quote "Products must be purchased on the same receipt. Free game must be of equal or lesser value"

Good luck with that one in court ROFL

[quote name='jngx80']I work at one. our ethics course says even if we overhear something on the elevator and then react to it, it's insider trading and if caught we'll be fired.
[/QUOTE]

And fined by the SEC
And probably do some jail time ;)

But you know this. Ask Martha Stewart

Did they agree not to sue you? Don't be surprised in a couple months you receive a letter from their lawyers suing you because of an assortment of damages. Also there are 3rd party companies that are paided to provide this info about you as part of a background check. A lot of companies use this service and the info can be used for 7 years so I would hurry and get a job before this starts showing up on your report.

If they did consider it theft as they stated in their letter to you, then the friend that ratted you out may have gotten some cash.
I don't know if they still have the Honesty Pays program, but they did back when I worked there.
Ratting out a guy I knew was stealing completely paid for my first trip to Japan!
Hmmm... I feel a blog post coming on when I get home tonight! ;)

[quote name='dv8mad']If they did consider it theft as they stated in their letter to you, then the friend that ratted you out may have gotten some cash.
I don't know if they still have the Honesty Pays program, but they did back when I worked there.
Ratting out a guy I knew was stealing completely paid for my first trip to Japan!
Hmmm... I feel a blog post coming on when I get home tonight! ;)[/QUOTE]

YomiJ Gaiden? I could go for that.

You got greedy and told someone what you did so you did this to yourself and it caught up to you. I don't know what is worse..the fact that you returned the games and admitted fault to them or the fact that you even bothered to attempt this sale/glitch with rock revolution. You worked there and did it yourself. You're not the bright one out of the crayon box.

When did they start hiring the mentally handicapped at Best Buy? Good for them.

I wish CAG would run a CAG's Dumbest Criminals every year. We have plenty around here to nominate. The best part is that he doesn't even realize what he did was a crime.

[quote name='dino88']When did they start hiring the mentally handicapped at Best Buy? Good for them.

I wish CAG would run a CAG's Dumbest Criminals every year. We have plenty around here to nominate. The best part is that he doesn't even realize what he did was a crime.[/QUOTE]

Of course the criminal never does.

Last I heard there wasn't one "guilty" person in prison... Except Redd of course*

*kudos if you get that

Someone want to put this on consumerist for a really good laugh? :p

No doubt best buy is starting to monitor glitches and taking actions against employees who exploit the system. Customers can get away (for the most part), because usually discovery of these glitches are accidental or best buy can usually blame a cashier for this..nothing happens to the customer unless they really push the system by doing it several times during the promo/gitch...but I doubt a ban would happen anyways as they need our money.

[quote name='intoxicated662'] I don't know what is worse..the fact that you returned the games and admitted fault to them or the fact that you even bothered to attempt this sale/glitch with rock revolution. [/QUOTE]

..or the fact he comes here to post and get sympathy...

We really do need a CAG's Dumbest Criminal vote this year--how many have we had this year?? C'mon Cheapy, do it!!

That was one nasty glitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the employees that also rang you up didn't get some type of disciplinary action. I'm sure a "good" employee would notice that if X game rang up for $60 then the other two games at $5 each and when they hit the total key the discount took the $60 off they should notice the discrepancy or at least raise an eyebrow.

When I worked at sears a guy did something simliar once. They had b1 g1 on some of their clothes. We realized if you got to the payment portion of the transaction then went back and removed the first item the free item still remained. He had his roommate come in several times a day until the sale was over to get free clothes.
Also one weekend they had 10 dollar off any purchase coupons for applying for a sears card. This worked even if you were declined. He took a stack and went to several different stores getting things that were close to 10 dollars. Not really worth my time to run around and get 10 dollar junk but whatever.
He got fired eventually for a seperate incident where he clearanced a 37 inch hd tv to 20 bucks and had a friend buy it. They told him to return it and he never did and they didn't pursue it. This was back when all 37 inch hd tvs were at least 900 or so.

wow... usually I side with the OP with a story about being 'screwed' but this is just retarded.. what's worse is that OP doesn't even realize how what he did is wrong! You admitted to Exploiting a promotion. Best Buy had every right to fire someone that was taking advantage of a glitch in their system. And as said before..ETHICS.. you will take a class in it in college ;)

[quote name='leftwing1018']you will take a class in it in college ;)[/QUOTE]

Maybe, if he's a business major. I was a business minor and had to take no such class.

In the end, he made his choices, now he has to live with the consequences, the potential of which could possibly haunt him for years.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Maybe, if he's a business major. I was a business minor and had to take no such class.[/QUOTE]
i think he was doubting the college part not the class.

hey OP it sucks. I'll admit that. but what can you do. you were clearly in the wrong. Truth be told I was in a similar situation myself when I worked in a movie theatre. Details aren't important but I kept it to myself. My efficiency which was so helpful at my job threw up a red flag on my jive and in the end that was that, but I admit what I did so I accept what I got. End of story.

I doubt that.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Maybe, if he's a business major. I was a business minor and had to take no such class.

In the end, he made his choices, now he has to live with the consequences, the potential of which could possibly haunt him for years.[/QUOTE]

I'm an engineering major and I have to take it, as do most science degrees, and pre-med. Ethics is not just a business class.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Maybe, if he's a business major. I was a business minor and had to take no such class.

In the end, he made his choices, now he has to live with the consequences, the potential of which could possibly haunt him for years.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I know what the original poster is going through. Not because I 'stole' from an employer, like they're claiming, but because at one time I had a penchant for telling supervisors to 'take this job and shove it up your ass'.

I can only get jobs with temp agencies nowadays due to an extensively bad work history and an incident where I lent some guy I worked with money and was being threatened, then I made a threat back and I ENDED UP IN COURT OVER IT.:bomb: Of course it didn't help that he was African-American and I used the N word in said threat.:whistle2:#

What got me even more fuming was that the guy didn't pay me back all he owed me, but he showed up to court in nice new clothes, right down to a shiny new pair of sneakers.:bomb: I soooooo wanted to take the judge's gavel and brain the motherfucker, but instead I had to swallow my pride and apologize to him. It would've made me feel SO much better to just wail on him with that gavel though.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Buy doesn't really have a legal foot to stand on in terms of suing, since the merchandise was returned, nor would I expect them to waste additional time and money. But they definitely are well within their right to terminate him as an employee. I don't feel this is illegal in any way, but it is certainly highly unethical and sufficient to lose one's job.

[quote name='fuss']I would have ratted you out in a heartbeat... you do know bby offers up to $1000 in reward money if you turn in a fellow employee that is stealing. One of your friends just got paid.[/QUOTE]

wow "up to $1000"? sounds like you could get $50. and then how worthwhile would it be?

[quote name='Arakias']wow "up to $1000"? sounds like you could get $50. and then how worthwhile would it be?[/QUOTE]

That's nothing. I did a Beavis & Butthead skit over the PA system at a Hills store I worked at wayyyyy back in the day and the manager on duty wouldn't let anyone leave until he talked to all of us.

He offered whoever ratted out the guilty party a $10 gift card.:roll: Of course, Hills gift cards were worth jack shit, but if it were at least $500 in gift cards I might've turned myself in.:lol:

Not really though, since most of their electronics was shit and overpriced for the junk it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back