Got fired over the Best Buy B2G1 promo

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='snookie_wookums']But from the tone of his post and the professionalism he displayed through his actions (by returning the games and making his friends do that too), this guy is clearly in a position where BB would want to sign him to a contract. I hope he nails them in court for violating his rights!!!
[/QUOTE]

Just as a point of information, what the OP did was commit several acts of fraud. He's both criminally and civilly liable.

Sorry you got canned.

Also, playntrade gives you about $5.50 for Rock revolution. So for people who did this, you basically end up with a free game and can use the $11 bucks in credit I got for Rock Revo on anything. Xbox Points, used games. Anything.

Please tell me the OP will be coming back. I was really looking forward to him blogging about how he gets canned from his next job...

[quote name='mis0']I loled. You were gonna get your ass fired anyway, so you should have kept the games. Best Buy isn't some small time company where every worker is part of the "family" or "team", it's a huge ass corporation. They squeezed out information from you, had you returned the games, and pretty much confess a crime and breach of contract. No company is going to keep a part-time employee around who's taken advantage of the company for personal and financial gain, not in this economy. You got used, like a cheap, ugly hooker.

I also feel no sympathy for the OP. Sure, if it was just a one time thing to grab that awesome game you really wanted but couldn't afford (assuming since you're working part-time at WorstBuy), it would have been alright. But no, you exploited the opportunity and did it 10+ times and told all your friends about it. Great job, dumb ass, hope you enjoy unemployment and nogames to show for it.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for emphasis. :)

OP got punked out and then banhammered by BB.

[quote name='camoor']Hopefully OP learned a lesson here.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the OP is sorry... that he got caught. It's like when a celebrity has to make a public apology so he or she says, "I'm sorry if YOU were offended."

I told those kids in the B2G1 glitch thread that that stuff was practically theft. But "No, no, no.. best buy WANTS us to have $60 games free" was the response. Morons.

Good point Crazedracerguy. I never thought about the cashiers possibly being "liable" also.

All this talk of fraud on this site is getting ridiculous (on part of a company glitch or user) and needs to stop (or head over to SD where it's tolerated). And these are the same people that will probably freak out when games start having a MSRP of $64.99 and wondering why.

You are all a bunch of fucking hypocrites. Each and every fucking one of you. I keep telling that jer asshole that. Everyone who buys pennie guides is causing a company harm, or taking advatage of a b2g1 glitch with a preorder for a game down the road (that a company running a B2G1 promo won't get compensated for), is causing a company harm. I could keep going on. You guys need to finally just shut the fuck up, and stop with this complete nonsense like you're not part of a problem or never took advantage of the system, or cashier. You're all bags of shit, each and every one of you. Especially that jer7583 jagoff. The only people I know who bitch and moan that much are girlfriends and moms.

[quote name='Estebon']You are all a bunch of fucking hypocrites. Each and every fucking one of you. I keep telling that jer asshole that. Everyone who buys pennie guides is causing a company harm, or taking advatage of a b2g1 glitch with a preorder for a game down the road (that a company running a B2G1 promo won't get compensated for), is causing a company harm. I could keep going on. You guys need to finally just shut the fuck up, and stop with this complete nonsense like you're not part of a problem or never took advantage of the system, or cashier. You're all bags of shit, each and every one of you. Especially that jer7583 jagoff. The only people I know who bitch and moan that much are girlfriends and moms.[/QUOTE]

What if your mom is my girlfriend? The only thing she ever bitches about is not having an abortion, she never mentions anything about video game glitches.

Highly unlikely since she died of cancer about 16 years ago. You're probably going out with jeroff7583 mom. She's stupid enough to go out with a dumb shit like yourself.

[quote name='Estebon']Highly unlikely since she died of cancer about 16 years ago. You're probably going out with jeroff7583 mom. She's stupid enough to go out with a dumb shit like yourself.[/QUOTE]

Well that's just not possible, unless she gave birth to you after she died.

[quote name='jer7583']I told those kids in the B2G1 glitch thread that that stuff was practically theft. But "No, no, no.. best buy WANTS us to have $60 games free" was the response. Morons.[/QUOTE]

I made those same arguments to no avail. I was accused of "threadcrapping" because I stated how it was complete theft to take advantage of the glitch in the system. Now I see that Best Buy corporate confirms it.

Some people are complete morons. According to Best Buy, many of you are now in possession of stolen goods.

[quote name='Estebon']You are all a bunch of fucking hypocrites. Each and every fucking one of you. I keep telling that jer asshole that. Everyone who buys pennie guides is causing a company harm, or taking advatage of a b2g1 glitch with a preorder for a game down the road (that a company running a B2G1 promo won't get compensated for), is causing a company harm. I could keep going on. You guys need to finally just shut the fuck up, and stop with this complete nonsense like you're not part of a problem or never took advantage of the system, or cashier. You're all bags of shit, each and every one of you. Especially that jer7583 jagoff. The only people I know who bitch and moan that much are girlfriends and moms.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like somebody is scared and is trying to pass blame because they're now in possession of stolen goods.

Whether you like to admit it or not, some of us DON'T do unethical things for personal gain. Get over it. Making a blanket generalization like you just did is completely asinine.

[quote name='Plinko']Sounds like somebody is scared and is trying to pass blame because they're now in possession of stolen goods.

Whether you like to admit it or not, some of us DON'T do unethical things for personal gain. Get over it. Making a blanket generalization like you just did is completely asinine.[/QUOTE]

How am I scared? I'm not even trying to defend it. I'm trying to show you that you are all a bunch of hypocrites.

If you have ever bought penny guides, you're stealing from a company.*

If you tried to take advantage from a B2G1 with either preorders or anything else that was not supposed to be, you're stealing from a company.*

If you took advantage of ECA code double stacking, you're stealing from a company.*

I can go on and on and on with this website. None of your hands are clean. Unless someone here never did this at all, then why are all of you on your high horses. Thats what I don't get. You're all a bunch of whiners trying to say that the things that you have done, aren't as bad. I don't get how you people are just too stupid to understand. There is no moral high ground for any of you to stand on. None. Wrong is wrong, plain and simple.

So go on and keep buying those penny guides, use your place holders, take advantage of B2G1 promos, TIV's, ECA codes, coupons, internet glitches, and so forth. I don't know if you're morons for not realizing it, or for ignoring it. Jesus, it's like i'm talking to children.

*not stealing because you've paid for the goods. Idiots.

[quote name='Estebon']Wrong is wrong, plain and simple.

*not stealing because you've paid for the goods. Idiots.[/QUOTE]

Really? Is abortion wrong? Because it's legal. Which means it's permissible by law. But is it right for me? Nope. So does that make it illegal? Nope.

A lot of the glitches, etc. that we take advantage of are company issues. Sometimes, we get the benefit. Sometimes we don't. Stealing is a legal issue. It, by definition, is taking another person's property without their consent. In the case of a retail establishment, "consent" is defined by a completed sale. If someone took advantage of the glitch, they didn't steal. Did they fail to comply with Best Buy's terms of sale? Yes. But those terms of sale aren't binding. They are a means to limit abuse of the deal by the company. It gives them the right to refuse a sale to me at any point. If they don't, then they are giving their consent to my purchase. Plain and simple.

The ironic thing about your post is that attempt to combine legal requirements and moral philosophy. You can't. They are different. Then you state something that is so obviously correct and call people idiots for believing it. In fact, without the "idiot" at the end, your statement is completely correct. You CANNOT steal if you have paid for your goods. The total amount of the sale is not an issue. Nor is whether you bought 3 $60 games or 2 $5 games and a $60 game. What does matter is that you have completed a sale at the POS system and have nothing hidden in your pockets, stashed in a raincoat and so on. Which means, of course, that you are the true idiot. Enjoy your day.

It might or might not be considered to be theft but it IS something else.... fraud. By using a glitch like this to use two $5 games to get a $60 game for free you are defrauding the company out of both money and inventory. Not to mention it shows how unethical you are as a person that you think its perfectly okay to do this.

Honestly I feel that the discussion of glitches like this should be treated the same as discussion of leaked content. In other words not allowed. By allowing things like this to be posted on the forums its just making CAG as a whole look like we are scummy scammers instead of a community that SHOULD be all about getting the best legitimate deals.

[quote name='Demolition Man']It might or might not be considered to be theft but it IS something else.... fraud. [/QUOTE]

Nope. Still not fraud... Fraud requires, as a central tenet of it's existence, that the plaintiff be ignorant of the falsity that the fraud is arising out of. Being that this glitch has existed, in various forms, throughout no less than 3 sales, and that the glitch has been pasted all over the internet and on their own forums, employees have been fired over it and many sales clerks have been alerted to it, it could hardly be argued that Best Buy was ignorant of the falsity.

I had said before that by a: having knowledge of the glitch and b: not acting upon it, Best has given tacit approval of the usage of the glitch.

My best guess is that Best Buy has decided that the cost of fixing of the glitch outweighs it's usage by a very small community of informed gamers or movie buffs.

I don't care if people used the glitch or didn't. I just want people to represent it as what it is - a choice that someone can make or not to exploit it. It isn't illegal. It isn't theft. It isn't fraud. Those things require a very explicit set of circumstances to be true. They aren't true just because someone wants to represent themselves as morally superior to someone else. And that's my 2 cents.

[quote name='beakey56']Hey I'm not really sure where to post this but I'll put it here since the original thread about this deal got closed. I decided to tell this story on this website since it seems like a lot of people here also found out about this deal and I am wondering if they are also in trouble.

I work at a Best Buy and on the last day of this sale I learned about the whole thing from ringing up a customer. I realized that what ever game you ring up first is the game you get for free. So I figured out the lowest priced game at Best Buy, which is Rock Revolution for $5, and decided to buy $60 games for $10 by having the $60 game get rung up first and paying for two rock revolutions.

I did this at my local Best Buy once to try it out and then went to two other nearby Best Buys with my friends and bought around 10 $60 games and 20 Rock Revolutions, this is not including the ones my friends bought.

The next day I told my friend at BB what happened and it turns out I was ratted out by him or someone he told. Best Buy then went and looked at all the receipts from on the day I went to those two other BB's (they didn't know I did it once at my store) and printed them all out and called me in to talk to me. They tell me that I need to write a statement about what happened and how I figured this out, and that I need to go home early to clear my head.

The the next day I am working and they call me in halfway through my shift. My General Manager and the Area Asset Protection Manager are there. They asked what happened and I tell them the truth, then they ask me if I am willing to return the games that I am in possession of, and to try and also get my friends to return their games. I agree to this because they tell me by doing this it will help for when they submit my case to human resources. By this time by shift was over and I immediately went home and got all my games and went right back to return them. My friends never ended up returning their games.

Now today I go to work and halfway through I am called in by my GM and my supervision (who was just there as a witness). Then they read off a paper to me explaining that I was fired and why. The paper says:

And now I just got a phone call from my friend at BB and he said that there are at least 5-7 other people get fired for doing the same thing.

Yeah so after this happened I went to a few websites to see how widespread the knowledge of this is and to see if there was anything other BBs were doing to try and stop this. No one at my BB was informed of this and no one was given any instructions on preventing this. My manager later told me that they did in fact send out an employee newsletter about this issue, but I never knew about this since it is only sent to full timers as part time employees don't have e-mails.

I am just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this and if anyone else from another Best Buy got in trouble over this. I'm going to be talking to a lawyer about either getting my games or my job back. I don't think it is fair that they made me return those games if they were just going to fire me. I also don't really think this is fair since technically I was just a customer at BB, I didn't even use my employee numbers. To me this was just me taking an advantage of a sale and I didn't do anything wrong.[/QUOTE]

Nazis. Before anything else I'd track down the pig responsible for getting you canned and grease him or her.

[quote name='Estebon']
If you have ever bought penny guides, you're stealing from a company.*
[/QUOTE]
Haven't.
[quote name='Estebon']
If you tried to take advantage from a B2G1 with either preorders or anything else that was not supposed to be, you're stealing from a company.*
[/QUOTE]
Haven't.
[quote name='Estebon']
If you took advantage of ECA code double stacking, you're stealing from a company.*
[/QUOTE]
Haven't.

[quote name='Estebon']
Jesus, it's like i'm talking to children.
[/QUOTE]
Nah, you're just being a douche and making blanket statements about a community that has thousands of active members.

Some people think that taking advantage of glitches is wrong. Some people don't. Either way, everyone's entitled to their opinion. The OP just is stupid enough to complain that he got burned in a public forum, so he deserves all the flak he gets. So chill out.

Edit: Wow, estebon got silenced in between me reading his posts and typing up this one. Thanks mods! Keep up the good work.

[quote name='mang9432']Haven't.

Edit: Wow, estebon got silenced in between me reading his posts and typing up this one. Thanks mods! Keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

I clicked that little red "report" button at the bottom of the post. It was starting to look bad here... and I wanted to know what's going on without reading through drama.

I'm not going to be an ass to you because I got fired from a job once because I posted something I did on a facebook group for employees. It sucks but you learn from your mistakes. Good luck with finding another job.

Stop with all the "it's fraud". No one committed any crime or even did anything unethical by taking advantage of this deal. Unless you have some financial connection to BB there was no reason not to do it.

The OP was foolish in being disloyal to his employer, who can of course choose not to employ him any more. Like most non-union workers I'm sure he had an "at will" contract meaning he can be fired at any time without reason. However, if I was running BB I'd be more concerned about the incompetent managers who realized what was happening and yet didn't fix the problem.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Nope. Still not fraud... Fraud requires, as a central tenet of it's existence, that the plaintiff be ignorant of the falsity that the fraud is arising out of. Being that this glitch has existed, in various forms, throughout no less than 3 sales, and that the glitch has been pasted all over the internet and on their own forums, employees have been fired over it and many sales clerks have been alerted to it, it could hardly be argued that Best Buy was ignorant of the falsity.

I had said before that by a: having knowledge of the glitch and b: not acting upon it, Best has given tacit approval of the usage of the glitch.

My best guess is that Best Buy has decided that the cost of fixing of the glitch outweighs it's usage by a very small community of informed gamers or movie buffs.

I don't care if people used the glitch or didn't. I just want people to represent it as what it is - a choice that someone can make or not to exploit it. It isn't illegal. It isn't theft. It isn't fraud. Those things require a very explicit set of circumstances to be true. They aren't true just because someone wants to represent themselves as morally superior to someone else. And that's my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

The person buying the games has to present them in a certain way to take advantage of the glitch. That person knows full well going in that the deal at-hand is "buy two games, get one of an equal or lesser value for free." They are purposefully taking advantage of the glitch so that the deal is better for them. If you honestly don't think there is something wrong with that, you're two cents is literally worth that...two pennies.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The person buying the games has to present them in a certain way to take advantage of the glitch. That person knows full well going in that the deal at-hand is "buy two games, get one of an equal or lesser value for free." They are purposefully taking advantage of the glitch so that the deal is better for them. If you honestly don't think there is something wrong with that, you're two cents is literally worth that...two pennies.[/QUOTE]

Your morality doesn't define me. I was merely pointing out that there was nothing ILLEGAL about taking advantage of the deal. If you don't like it, I don't really care.

I mean, isn't it obvious that if you handed someone the games in a certain order, it came up differently? Isn't it, therefore, obvious that if you did it that way, you were purposefully taking advantage of the glitch? So isn't it obvious that if my post, which explained the difference between "illegal" and a simple moral question was only worth 2 cents... that your post is worth, oh, I don't know... NOTHING?

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Your morality doesn't define me.[/QUOTE]

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

haight-hippie.jpg

Please, do us the world a favor and blow your brains out.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']

Please, do us the world a favor and blow your brains out.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty grandiose of you. Do you think you're the world? Do you, therefore, think you're a God?

I would bet that more agree with me than with your sentiment to tell someone to blow their brains out because they don't share your obviously immaculate morals.

Can I just teabag your mom instead?

Shut the fuck up all you self righteous little bitches. Taking advantage of a glitch is not fraud and not morally wrong. Best buy couldve easily fix it but they didn't. That sucks for you op but you're also fucking stupid. Bb Considers it stealing so obviously they're not going to keep you

Mods, please close, lock, and bury this thread. Let's get this whole thing behind us so we can focus on what is more important - gaming and the impending black friday sales. This issue is poisoning the community.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Mods, please close, lock, and bury this thread. Let's get this whole thing behind us so we can focus on what is more important - gaming and the impending black friday sales. This issue is poisoning the community.[/QUOTE]

:applause:This thread WAS entertaining in the same vein as the billg Circuit City Black Friday thread was about 3 or so years ago, but this thread has outlived it's usefulness since the OP has been shamed into not coming back and now it's just personal insult after personal insult with each side claiming they're 'right' and no one wanting to budge.

It sounds like an argument with me, actually.:D

[quote name='advanced']Quoted for emphasis. :)

OP got punked out and then banhammered by BB.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, massive hadoken and shoryuken by CAGers. ;)

[quote name='WormFOODx']Mods, please close, lock, and bury this thread. Let's get this whole thing behind us so we can focus on what is more important - gaming and the impending black friday sales. This issue is poisoning the community.[/QUOTE]

The community is poisoning the community. People keep getting worse here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back