Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

If some of you think B-Spec is worthless, word on the interwebs say that if you get your B-Spec level to 35 you get the blue Redbull X-1. Level 40 gets you a different color for the X-1.

The other way to get the X-1, complete Sebastian Loeb's Rally Special Even with Gold times. Then it opens of a X-1 challenge. Just getting a bronze nets you the X-1.

I am nowhere near getting the X-1 sadly.

[quote name='j-cart']If some of you think B-Spec is worthless, word on the interwebs say that if you get your B-Spec level to 35 you get the blue Redbull X-1. Level 40 gets you a different color for the X-1.

The other way to get the X-1, complete Sebastian Loeb's Rally Special Even with Gold times. Then it opens of a X-1 challenge. Just getting a bronze nets you the X-1.

I am nowhere near getting the X-1 sadly.[/QUOTE]

Is the Redbull X-1 even a real car? I've heard it basically breaks the game it's soo fast and handles soo well.

There's a vid on Youtube of someone running a lap of Nurbergring in 3'30" with that car, which is insane. I don't think I've ever broken 6 minutes on the ring unless it was in an F1 car.

The Redbull X-1 does not exist in real life. F1 has a ton of regulations, X-1 is what happens if they were to ignore the regulations. It is Redbull's "what if" race car.

In GT5 terms, it is the fastest car in the game.

Think I'm level 7 or 8 in B-spec....not ignoring it, but in my time I have to balance that and A-spec....and trying to find time to make it to a Tuesday night race.

Is there a way to change tires? i have sports med hard and soft but cannot find a way to go back and forth between them.

[quote name='m_d_amore']Is there a way to change tires? i have sports med hard and soft but cannot find a way to go back and forth between them.[/QUOTE]I believe you can do that in the Tuning Options. In the menu before a race starts, it should be that wrench icon.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I believe you can do that in the Tuning Options. In the menu before a race starts, it should be that wrench icon.[/QUOTE]

Correct....Mad had to remind me of that. Worst menu option in the game....you can do everything but change tires from the garage "tuning" menu. Call me crazy, but it would be more intuitive (and useful) to allow you to tune everything before a race.

[quote name='jmbreci']Think I'm level 7 or 8 in B-spec....not ignoring it, but in my time I have to balance that and A-spec....and trying to find time to make it to a Tuesday night race.[/QUOTE]
What color is your Furai? I just got mine, it's Black with a red spoiler. The car you got from the Mazda Roadster B-Spec race that is. It's awesome, it's about 3 seconds faster on High Speed Ring due to cornering than my 845hp Option Z. Drop the 70 grand into the Engine 3, Turbo 3 and Chassis Rigid mod and I'll give you my tuning that'll put you on ice skates.

[quote name='Danil ACE']What's the obsession with the mm-R? I sold that turd instantly to buy an S2K.[/QUOTE]
Considering the mm-R would rape an S2K on most curvy tracks, it's hardly a turd. I however just wanted one that was dark blue or silver, the yellow one I traded received a partial tune and was fully modded, it's really a phenomenal car with the right tune.

Reinstalled GT5 after my hard drive upgrade. I ended up going with a Samsung Spinpoint 640 gig 7200rpm HD which is an upgrade from my 5400rpm 120 gig Toshiba stock drive in every way, shape and form. I mostly picked the Samsung because people were reporting the same battery usage and same amount of heat load compared to their OEM drives in laptops. The 50 minute GT5 install took 30 minutes with this drive and my PS3 is peppier. I expect load times to drop as well, I'm just busy reinstalling all the other game installs I deleted to make my back ups.

[quote name='Mad39er']Reinstalled GT5 after my hard drive upgrade. I ended up going with a Samsung Spinpoint 640 gig 7200rpm HD which is an upgrade from my 5400rpm 120 gig Toshiba stock drive in every way, shape and form. I mostly picked the Samsung because people were reporting the same battery usage and same amount of heat load compared to their OEM drives in laptops. The 50 minute GT5 install took 30 minutes with this drive and my PS3 is peppier. I expect load times to drop as well, I'm just busy reinstalling all the other game installs I deleted to make my back ups.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that you had to keep the RPM of the drive at 5400 or weird things start happening. Is that not the case anymore?

[quote name='GTmaster39']I was under the impression that you had to keep the RPM of the drive at 5400 or weird things start happening. Is that not the case anymore?[/QUOTE]
Weird things? As far as I knew and know, the main issue with 7200rpm laptop drives was excessive battery draining and heat, with only the heat applying to us PS3 types. This thing is a little louder than the original Toshiba drive when it writes but for the speed, I don't really care.

Sound and 2 degrees of heat is about the only negatives of having a 7200rpm HDD.

It is good you got your ps3 up and running. Enjoy the extra space! Full install on GT5 is well worth it.

/edit: Hope everyone registered for GT Academy, it starts TOMORROW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having trouble with their b-spec driver unable to win in the Daytona races? My driver keeps breaking at the turns, causing the cars to get ahead and never being able to get to the lead.

I gave my driver a Veyron and the Ferrari 599 with all upgraded parts and still can't get past 7th place. Your help will be appreciated, thanks!

While I wait, I got a few questions

1. Anybody had problem with the last Test(2 laps) on A LICENSE?, I can't seem to over come any of the cars. If I am to calm in the race I literally just get past 3 of the cars if I try to be forceful I can past a few others yet never even reach 10, how did you beat this test?.

2. I did every event race on Beginners except one, CLASSIC JAPAN....where do I find these classics?, can you recommend me one please.

3. Update 1.05, what exactly is Mechanical Damage? is this like the car will literally stop working + look destroyed if I am constantly trashing it?.

[quote name='Killagamer']While I wait, I got a few questions

1. Anybody had problem with the last Test(2 laps) on A LICENSE?, I can't seem to over come any of the cars. If I am to calm in the race I literally just get past 3 of the cars if I try to be forceful I can past a few others yet never even reach 10, how did you beat this test?.

2. I did every event race on Beginners except one, CLASSIC JAPAN....where do I find these classics?, can you recommend me one please.

3. Update 1.05, what exactly is Mechanical Damage? is this like the car will literally stop working + look destroyed if I am constantly trashing it?.[/QUOTE]

1.) I believe I plowed through that race. Just nudging everyone out of my way and late braking helps a lot too.

2.) Used car dealership. Or Mazda dealership....RX-7 FC3S, it's a 90's so it should work perfect.

3.) Mechanical Damage just makes your car wobble around making it uncontrollable in most situations. And if the tranny get damaged then the car almost comes to a creep and just cruises. None of this is permanent though, maybe just the whole race or maybe just a few seconds. Depends.

I believe there are 3 modes to choose from if you start your own race online...I think it's Off, Light and Heavy.

Edit: God this update is taking forever.

[quote name='Killagamer']

1. Anybody had problem with the last Test(2 laps) on A LICENSE?, I can't seem to over come any of the cars. If I am to calm in the race I literally just get past 3 of the cars if I try to be forceful I can past a few others yet never even reach 10, how did you beat this test?[/QUOTE]

The last A test is the one where you must lap everyone right? If it is, when I get a chance I can upload my replay, it actually is pretty easy of a test.

First turn you should at least pass 3 cars and the second turn you can over take about 3-4 more. The wide track on High Speed Ring allows you to keep high speeds through the turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who really want fun, do some of those special events. I made a mistake the first time and did the last race....you start out pretty far back on SS5....12th and are about 45 seconds back at the start.....pretty unrealistic when I set myself up with an underpowered car. :)

Finally got my GT formula car after the amazing update. The car is SO different from everything else in the game. Very good none the less.

Trying to ramp up to the lvl 28 endurance and getting my B-Spec driver up as well.

I was saving up to buy a 70's Skyline for the Japanese Classic races and just as I got enough money, a Honda S500 showed up in th used dealership. I decided to buy it instead since I own an s2k in real life and like the old Honda's. Apparently, it was the right decision because it had over 300,000 km's so I got the trophy. I didn't even think to check the mileage before buying it either.

[quote name='GTmaster39']I believe I plowed through that perfect tranny then almost comes Heavy forever.[/QUOTE]

I may have taken some of that out of context. ;)

And who says racing sims aren't sexy.

Anyone start the GT Academy yet? I'm in the midwest region, and doing terrible in the first track Tsukuba Circuit and barely in the top 1500. I've noticed in a random sample of the top 100 that a majority of their setups are the racing wheel, and everything turned off with the exception of ABS at 1. I'm using the wheel but still need to shave off a good 5 seconds, I use the mild active steering and ABS at 4.

[quote name='SynGamer']Just put in a lap of 1:06:835 on Tsukuba. 276th overall for now but I'm positive that'll drop to the 500's in the end, if not worse.[/QUOTE]
Just out of curiousity, with what car? I haven't signed up for the GT Academy.

[quote name='Mad39er']Just out of curiousity, with what car? I haven't signed up for the GT Academy.[/QUOTE]

Um, a silver Nissan. Isn't it the same for everyone?

[quote name='faydoy123']Anyone having trouble with their b-spec driver unable to win in the Daytona races? My driver keeps breaking at the turns, causing the cars to get ahead and never being able to get to the lead.

I gave my driver a Veyron and the Ferrari 599 with all upgraded parts and still can't get past 7th place. Your help will be appreciated, thanks![/QUOTE]
You need a hotheaded driver;)

Just got GT5 yesterday, enjoying the heck out of it. Got a few questions for the veterans, though.

Is there any point in not redeeming the "coupons" you get when you're given a car for winning championship? It seems weird that you have to do the extra step of redeeming it, rather than it just being automatically added to your garage.

I swear I've seen a new pre-owned car lose HP after doing an oil change, is that possible?

whats the difference between the us ce and the asian ce that ebay sells? also i noticed that some people are selling dlc cars on ebay. upon reading the descriptions, it seems that people are just selling these cars and "gifting" to the buyer.

[quote name='enufs8d']whats the difference between the us ce and the asian ce that ebay sells? also i noticed that some people are selling dlc cars on ebay. upon reading the descriptions, it seems that people are just selling these cars and "gifting" to the buyer.[/QUOTE]

The stealth model cars are only redeemable frolm pre-orders. Sadly I can't gift them or every here would have one. Basically they are race modded super cars.

BingoBrown: Poor design flaw in the game. The car delivery is basically there for "gifting" purposes. Which means both in-game and from psn friends are sent to that menu.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Just got GT5 yesterday, enjoying the heck out of it. Got a few questions for the veterans, though.

Is there any point in not redeeming the "coupons" you get when you're given a car for winning championship? It seems weird that you have to do the extra step of redeeming it, rather than it just being automatically added to your garage.

I swear I've seen a new pre-owned car lose HP after doing an oil change, is that possible?[/QUOTE]
Prize car coupons/tickets can be traded more than once a day, however you can only trade cars once a day with this new patch. People have been using this process to trade multiple cars on other forums.

Used car stats are a little tricky, they're listing the stock stats for the car and not taking into account for mileage or oil. Unless you get a car with low miles on it, expect to overhaul the engine to get the stickered horsies and torque out of it but really if you end up within like 5 horsies it's not too bad. If you change the black oil that comes out of every used car, you will regain lost power regardless but not all of it if the mileage is high enough.

[quote name='Mad39er']Used car stats are a little tricky, they're listing the stock stats for the car and not taking into account for mileage or oil. Unless you get a car with low miles on it, expect to overhaul the engine to get the stickered horsies and torque out of it but really if you end up within like 5 horsies it's not too bad. If you change the black oil that comes out of every used car, you will regain lost power regardless but not all of it if the mileage is high enough.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda what I ended up figuring out. The used car dealership shows stock HP, not the HP of the actual car they're selling you. So I guess if an oil change doesn't get you up to the stock HP, then you'd have to rebuild the engine? That's so expensive ($20k, right?) I just can't see it being worth it except for the rare/super expensive cars you buy in the dealership, at least not early on in my racing career (Level 11 right now).

I'm generally finding that the oil change, racing air filter, sport cat converter, ECU tuning, and maybe the Engine #1 overhaul are the best upgrades for your money, at least as far as getting more HP out of the engine. For between $3k and $5k, I've gotten around 30 to 66 extra HP.

I found a Honda Integra Type R Touring Car in the used car dealership yesterday for around $45k I think. That car is amazing compared to my other 30+ cars in my garage. The handling is superb, and when I eventually opt for the $20k turbo upgrade, it'll be pumping out more than 400 HP. I know it's nothing compared to the cars available in the later stages of the game, but it's great for me right now.

Is turning off active steering realistic or just silly? I can barely take a turn without spinning out when I turn it off.

What driving settings should and shouldn't be on?

how is the Driving Force GT for those who picked it up? probably going to get one from BB tomorrow @ 99$. Is it easy to transition from controller to wheel? Do different cars require you to turn the wheel more for full lock, ie formula 1 car ~ 180degrees vs a nissan march?

[quote name='naiku']how is the Driving Force GT for those who picked it up? probably going to get one from BB tomorrow @ 99$. Is it easy to transition from controller to wheel? Do different cars require you to turn the wheel more for full lock, ie formula 1 car ~ 180degrees vs a nissan march?[/QUOTE]

For 99 bucks, the wheel is solid. You will no doubt enjoy the game even more with a DFGT. I haven't driven an F1 car yet, but the wheel gets tighter to turn from car to car.

DFGT is a great intro wheel.

While I cannot fully utilize my wheel for racing due to some recent shoulder surgery (cranking it hurts) - for Nascar racing I think it is a necessity.

[quote name='jmbreci']While I cannot fully utilize my wheel for racing due to some recent shoulder surgery (cranking it hurts) - for Nascar racing I think it is a necessity.[/QUOTE]
I saw dis knob at a car wash once that yo jes put on jour steering wheel so joo can just grab the knob and turn the wheel by the knob, you should get that fo yo rig homes.

[quote name='SynGamer']GT5 Prize Car List/Unlockables[/QUOTE]

I was looking at that link, but was confused regarding these types of prizes "Beginner events complete: Gift Car Ticket Level 5" (I still have yet to complete the Japanese Classics event, and thus have not finished the beginner events to receive the gift). After looking it up, and realizing that it's a random prize picked from a certain set of cars, I found this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/941103-gran-turismo-5/57417254

Apparently, when you go to redeem these gifts, if you reset your system before hitting "Okay," then you'll be given another chance to redeem the ticket, and therefore get a different car. That way you can cycle through the different possibilities to get a car you want.

[quote name='jmbreci']While I cannot fully utilize my wheel for racing due to some recent shoulder surgery (cranking it hurts) - for Nascar racing I think it is a necessity.[/QUOTE]
Nope. Golded all the NASCAR events with the DS3. It takes a little bit to get used to how touchy the NASCAR cars are but it's easily doable with the controller.

what you need to do for the Nascar tracks, besides the ovals, is put the anti-skid assist on. Races that have actually turns and bends are a breeze considering you can come in hot for a turn, brake late, pass coming into the turn, and just cruise out of it.

The only "hard" race is the 10 lap Daytona Race. You basically have to stay about 2 or 3rd place and just wait for to make your move on the final lap

[quote name='kurrptsenate']what you need to do for the Nascar tracks, besides the ovals, is put the anti-skid assist on. Races that have actually turns and bends are a breeze considering you can come in hot for a turn, brake late, pass coming into the turn, and just cruise out of it.

The only "hard" race is the 10 lap Daytona Race. You basically have to stay about 2 or 3rd place and just wait for to make your move on the final lap[/QUOTE]
Turn off ABS, turn the downforce as low as it can go, and hug the yellow line. You'll shoot into first and the AI will not come down that low to draft you. You'll pull away and they'll never catch you.

bread's done
Back