GS TIV/Promos: Old thread, check first/last post for link to new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
New thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8368135

WHEN REPORTING VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Upcoming Promos:

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Tiered Trader Offer 3/10%, 5/20%, 7+/30% (Ends 4/17/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 3 games and get an extra 10% in-store credit, trade any 5 for an extra 20% or 7 or more for an extra 30%.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 03/07/10 - 04/17/11.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% -LA Noire, Mortal Kombat, or Portal 2 (Ends 4/17/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of LA Noire, Mortal Kombat or Portal 2.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of LA Noire, Mortal Kombat, Portal 2. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 03/28/10 - 04/17/11.[/QUOTE]

3DS Trade Up Offer (Ends 4/30/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get a new Nintendo 3DS for only $149.99 when trading your DSi XL. Trade in your DSi and get it for $174.99 or trade in your DS lite and get it for $199.99.

DSiWare downloadable content and point balances are not currently transferable to Nintendo 3DS. Full trade value amount must be applied toward the purchase of a new Nintendo 3DS. Net retail is after trade. 3DS' regular retail price is $249.99. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer expires 04/30/11.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Any games traded toward a new 3DS game (Ends 4/17/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward any new 3DS game.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward the purchase of any new 3DS game. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 03/28/10 - 04/17/11.[/QUOTE]

First post contains promo information. The second post contains useful information and frequently asked questions. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP/GBA values. Sixth post had hardware/accessory values for all systems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='merchie89']question, hold off for a better trade in deal in the coming few weeks or go with this one??? the like 30% for 5 games seems like a better deal to me...[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you're trading in... this deal is great for games with a lower TIV but not necessarily higher TIV games. You're basically getting an extra $4.00 per game with this deal: trade in a game with a base TIV of $4.50 and you'll get $8.50 with this deal compared to about $6 with a 30% bonus deal. However, if you had a game with a $22 TIV, this current deal would only net you $26, wheras a 30% bonus deal would bump it up to $29-30.

[quote name='merchie89']question, hold off for a better trade in deal in the coming few weeks or go with this one??? the like 30% for 5 games seems like a better deal to me...[/QUOTE]Good question. Let x = total TIV of all of your 5 games.

The question is, which is greater:

x*1.3 or x+20. First, lets find where they're equal.

x*1.3 = x + 20
x*.3 = 20
3x = 200
x = 66.66 dollars

So, with a trade in value of 66.66, you will get 20 dollars as the bonus both ways. Under that, you're going to get more from the +20 for 5, over it you'll get more for the +30%. How about 50%?

x*1.5 = x + 20
.5x = 20
x = 40

Therefore the 50% trade in promo was better if the total value of your 5 TiVs was 40 dollars or more. I'll do 40 just for the sake of it, since they had that recently.

x*1.4 = x + 20
.4x = 20
4x = 200
x = 50

Long story short, if the average value of the items you're trading is lower than 8 dollars per item, this new promo is better than any of the other promos we've seen from Gamestop for quite some time. In order for a 30% Trade In Value to be better than this, the average base trade in value of your games has to be 13 dollars (which is no easy feat, Gamestop TiVs depreciate fast).

[quote name='Das_Regal']Good question. Let x = total TIV of all of your 5 games.

The question is, which is greater:

x*1.3 or x+20. First, lets find where they're equal.

x*1.3 = x + 20
x*.3 = 20
3x = 200
x = 66.66 dollars

So, with a trade in value of 66.66, you will get 20 dollars as the bonus both ways. Under that, you're going to get more from the +20 for 5, over it you'll get more for the +30%. How about 50%?

x*1.5 = x + 20
.5x = 20
x = 40

Therefore the 50% trade in promo was better if the total value of your 5 TiVs was 40 dollars or more. I'll do 40 just for the sake of it, since they had that recently.

x*1.4 = x + 20
.4x = 20
4x = 200
x = 50

Long story short, if the average value of the items you're trading is lower than 8 dollars per item, this new promo is better than any of the other promos we've seen from Gamestop for quite some time. In order for a 30% Trade In Value to be better than this, the average base trade in value of your games has to be 13 dollars (which is no easy feat, Gamestop TiVs depreciate fast).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for doing the math for me. I could've done it myself.. but you know.. it was already here.

So it looks like I'll be trading in a whole bunch of older games (now to look for my DS carts...) Hopefully they haven't dropped so low that they're less than $2.

New values for 12/28
:ds:
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings $4
Pokemon Pearl $6
Final Fantasy Crystal: Rings of Fate $2.50
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow $6

:psp:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions $4
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core $2.50

:wii:
Mario Kart $15
Resident Evil 4 $4
Animal Crossing City Folk $5

:ps3:
White Knight Chronicles $7

[quote name='steve nash']Any games after 5 don't get any bonus. I think unless you have 10[/QUOTE]

Yeah you want to trade them in groups of 5's then try and get 3 if you have extra games (preferably youd want to trade in groups of 5's). You could use the powertrade if you dont have enough games but you wont be getting as much if they are lower TIV games.

[quote name='steve nash']Any games after 5 don't get any bonus. I think unless you have 10[/QUOTE]

Not true. I traded in 8 games total. 5 of them get a bonus of 4$ and 3 of them got a bonus of $3.33. All of it was in the same transaction as well.

That's true, so this is really only optimal if you can find 5 2$+ games to trade. Lets see, the 3/10 versus 30% one is like...

x*1.3 = x + 10
.3x = 10
x = 33.33

So it's 11.11/game instead of 13.33. Similarly, for 40%

1.4x = x + 10
.4x= 10
x = 25

Which comes out to about 8.33/game where trade 3 + 10 dollars is better under. And for 50%

1.5x = x + 10
.5x = 10
x = 20

Or roughly 6.66/game as the breaking point.

Well crap. I just remembered I gave my sis most of my DS games... so no go on the trade in.
I was also going to trade in some Wii games, but it looks like Amazon will give me more money (even after the $10/$20 extra promo from GS.)

CAG16 isn't working at all for me at the moment...anybody else having that issue? I'm not even trying to apply it with anything else (although it usually stacks w/10% for me), won't even work before I sign in.

TIV from today

Alan Wake - $8
Bladestorm - $7
Splinter Cell Conviction $3
Raven Squad - $2.50

PS3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - $8

DS
Pokemon Heart/Gold - $9

As of 12-29

PS3:
Singularity: $9
Lost Planet 2: $6
Dante's Inferno: $7

Xbox360:
Army of Two: 40th Day: $4
Dead to Rights: Retribution: $8

i know most gamestops won't give quotes over the phone, so i went to gs near my work during lunch to ask them what i need to bring in to trade in my xbox slim 250gb and how much i would get.

gs guy told me everything i needed to include with my xbox, but said he couldn't give me the price because of a california pawn shop law. i asked, so i have to pack up my xbox and bring it in just to get a quote. he said yes, the reason being that under this law if he quotes me a price and the tiv is lower when i come in with everything tomorrow, he would have to give me the price he quoted earlier.

is this true? or is he feeding me something? i'd really hate to pack up everything and lug it over there.

^I've never heard of this but I don't live in California. If it turns out to be true maybe look up a phone number online for a store in another state and call for a quote that's more recent than the September one listed in the OP. I don't know if that works for you but it might be less trouble.

More Kinect information:

[quote name='Anonymous GameStop Employee']Got one traded in tonight.

No 50% bonus and also no powerup bonus.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chuckie88']^I've never heard of this but I don't live in California. If it turns out to be true maybe look up a phone number online for a store in another state and call for a quote that's more recent than the September one listed in the OP. I don't know if that works for you but it might be less trouble.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its part of California law from pawn shops. I'm not able to call any store around my area for trade in quotes.

Updated lists and database.

Also, been thinking about pulling the Hardware/Accessories out of the system specific lists and put them under their own post for hardware/accessories. Still sorted by systems but all the hardware/accessories taking up that open slot that I have. Any thoughts?

[quote name='JP']Updated lists and database.

Also, been thinking about pulling the Hardware/Accessories out of the system specific lists and put them under their own post for hardware/accessories. Still sorted by systems but all the hardware/accessories taking up that open slot that I have. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I like the idea JP.

Base TIV for 12/29/10:

*Xbox 360*
Major League Baseball 2k10 $7
Risen $5

*PS3*
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time $7

*Wii*

Medal of Honor (360) now gets $8.

Pretty pathetic for a fairly recent game. Guess this is the EA effect with the whole you-can't-get-online unless you have a code or pay for it.

It's really a pretty decent game, but got COD: Black Ops for Xmas so this one's being pushed to the curb. Supposedly, it still nets $25 at Best Buy. Don't feel like mailing it and the "trade-in" line is the same as the return line so I'll be waiting an hour or so if I want to go that route.

Oh well.

[quote name='awp']Medal of Honor (360) now gets $8.

Pretty pathetic for a fairly recent game. Guess this is the EA effect with the whole you-can't-get-online unless you have a code or pay for it.

It's really a pretty decent game, but got COD: Black Ops for Xmas so this one's being pushed to the curb. Supposedly, it still nets $25 at Best Buy. Don't feel like mailing it and the "trade-in" line is the same as the return line so I'll be waiting an hour or so if I want to go that route.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

It's their own fault for releasing it a month before Black Ops. Now I'm not insisting that one is better than the other, but they should have known better than to release it so close.

They did the right thing with Bad Company 2 earlier in the year, they released it a few months after Modern Warfare 2.

[quote name='awp']Medal of Honor (360) now gets $8.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect when every Gamestop in the country has 50 or more of that game rotting on the shelf? I would say that and FF XIII are the 2 most traded in games of the year for Gamestop. Any store I go to has TONS of used copies on both systems.

Plus IMO and in lots of others, the game sucked. BFBC 2 is such a superior game. If you just have to play MoH I say just rent it to play the single player but if you're wanting a military non-CoD game to buy for single and multi, get BFBC 2 or wait for Homefront in March.

12-30-10

iconps3.gif

Sacred 2 - 5

iconwii.gif

Top Spin 3 - 3
Star Wars: Lightsaber Duels - 4
Nerf N Strike Elite (last one I had left from you know when) - 5

Would it seem ridiculous if I bought Kingdom Hearts 1/2 for $3 a pop each from a goodwill, trade them in to get the +25% trade in for Re: Coded and end up getting $10.31 from it for a profit of $4 due to sales tax? I might try to get other games to save some money.

[quote name='JP']Updated lists and database.

Also, been thinking about pulling the Hardware/Accessories out of the system specific lists and put them under their own post for hardware/accessories. Still sorted by systems but all the hardware/accessories taking up that open slot that I have. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I don't even know where to find hardware/accessory TiV's on the site and I know many other people who don't either. Never cared enough to really look, but that alone should answer your question.

I know Cheapy and John are working on a way of doing TIVs for Consoles properly through the database/price tracker so it'll be a while before they are in that section. This list though it does sound like I need to split them out. I'm going to go ahead and make the change and see what the response is.

If you guys see the accessoires/hardware values disappear, don't worry I've still got them. Just slowly moving them around into that last post.

Updated lists and database.

Put all hardware and accessory TIVs into the 6th past and made a note of it at the bottom of the first post. Lets see how that works out.

Yeah it seems better. Probably should have done it sooner but it seems like every other thread I'm redoing something about the layout/structure. That sometimes ends up getting removed because of character limits.

[quote name='frpilot']i know most gamestops won't give quotes over the phone, so i went to gs near my work during lunch to ask them what i need to bring in to trade in my xbox slim 250gb and how much i would get.

gs guy told me everything i needed to include with my xbox, but said he couldn't give me the price because of a california pawn shop law. i asked, so i have to pack up my xbox and bring it in just to get a quote. he said yes, the reason being that under this law if he quotes me a price and the tiv is lower when i come in with everything tomorrow, he would have to give me the price he quoted earlier.

is this true? or is he feeding me something? i'd really hate to pack up everything and lug it over there.[/QUOTE]

I called yesterday because I want to trade mine in too. The guy said $160. It would be $240 with the bonus.

Trades or quotes from 12/30:

Band Hero - $4
Beatles Rock Band - $2.50
Darksiders - $4
Guitar Hero 5 - $3
Lego Rock Band - $4

:wii:
Guitar Hero Van Halen - $6

:360:
Guitar Hero Van Halen - $5

:ds:
Shrek Forever After - $6

Another upcoming promo:

[quote name='Anonymous GameStop Employee']New Trade Promo between 1-2/1-9. Get 50% TIV on trades when the trades are used towards the purchase of preowned games.[/QUOTE]

New Trade Promo between 1-2/1-9. Get 50% TIV on trades when the trades are used towards the purchase of preowned games.

COOL! In the past, I have been lucky enough at my Gamestop to just buy a cheap used game for all of my trade in, instead of spending all of it.

Posting this here in the hopes a cag gets it and not a lurker as I have no use for it, please post when used expires today and must be used online.
15% online coupon for your next purchase on GameStop.com. Please take advantage of this offer by 12/31/10 after which this coupon will expire.
15% Off Coupon: 7D6W3C4

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']This is on ALL trades even accessories huh? :)[/QUOTE]
I would say this is games only like previous trade-in promos with 50%.

Also, updated lists and database.

Just traded in some games today

Left 4 Dead 2- $5
King of Fighters XII- $6
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2- $20
Medal of Honor- $10
Demon's Soul- $5
Sega Superstar/Arcade(2CD)- $.50

Have a safe and Happy New Year everyone! :)

never seen this kind of promo before, but do you guys know if the entire credit from trade in needs to be used for buying used games or would they put the remaining credit onto your card.

Traded these in today, 12/31/2010.

Need for Speed: Undercover - $5
God of War III - $10

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days - $4
Crackdown 2 - $5
UFC 2010 - $7

[quote name='knightsdwn']Traded these in today, 12/31/2010.

Need for Speed: Undercover - $5
God of War III - $10

Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days - $4
Crackdown 2 - $5
UFC 2010 - $7[/QUOTE]

I think you are giving the TIV after the promo. GS has changed it now so the TIV after promo shows up on the reciept and not the base

Side note, last night I traded in 10 games and like an idiot, I didnt do it in two separate transactions. The lady was the manager and asked me if I wanted to look around to see if I wanted anything while she did the trade in. That was fine cause I wanted to check a couple prices on some games for the b2g1 free. So when i get the receipt I jsut kinda glance over it and see some of the TIVs. Well when I got home, I looked at the receipt and and the computer had given me the trade 5 get and extra 20 for the first 5 games, the extra 10 for the next 3 games, and my last two games got no bonus except the Powercard.

[quote name='Abeja']I think you are giving the TIV after the promo. GS has changed it now so the TIV after promo shows up on the reciept and not the base
[/QUOTE]

I admit my math isn't that great, but I am absolutely sure these are base values.

Bit surprised of some of the base values as well especially GoW3.

I recently got a xbox 360 pro refurb as a present on Christmas. I decided to keep it, but I just realized it doesn't have integrated wi-fi compared to the slim (I got the old,old model). I really need the Wi-Fi b/c my router is in another room and the TV in another and I definitely do not want to pay for a wireless adapter. Is it possible to exchange this for a slim?

I still have the original receipt.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i find it hard to believe that GOW III went from $4 base to $10.[/QUOTE]

Can scan the receipt if you wish.

I received $15 total from trading GoW3 in. $1 for the power up card and $4 from the trade 5 get $20 promo.

Can scan the receipt if you wish.

not necessary just said i find it hard to believe not that you were lying. i wonder why it jumped so much all of a sudden especially since its so readily available from the bbv b1g1 sale.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']not necessary just said i find it hard to believe not that you were lying. i wonder why it jumped so much all of a sudden especially since its so readily available from the bbv b1g1 sale.[/QUOTE]

I just checked my PowerUp Rewards account just now and it recorded my trade in for GoW3 as the God of War Collection. I guess the store's computer had some sort of error or something since my receipt states "God of War III 930404", and I specifically remember the store clerk scanning the barcode instead of manually inputting it in.

Perhaps someone can trade a copy in to make sure if it's a store only type error or if it's company wide. I know a lot of people can make use of the high TiV using the BBV B1G1 sale like you said.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Can scan the receipt if you wish.

I received $15 total from trading GoW3 in. $1 for the power up card and $4 from the trade 5 get $20 promo.[/QUOTE]

WTF u effin serious!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back