GTA IV 360 & PS3 $14.99 used @ BlockBuster (plus B1G1 free on $14.99 and under)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitedeath

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
with the buy one get one free deal going on. might be a time for anyone who did not play this to pick it up

sorry in advance if posted

she works at the BB in old Forge, pa

she said it was just marked down today

-----------------------------------------

Edit by Io...

Update 12/28 - Mass Effect is now also $14.99 at BBV, making it eligible for the B1G1!

This deal has been discussed at great length in the Blockbuster thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207038

But since GTA IV for $14.99 (used) is such a great deal we'll keep this second thread around to highlight that part of the sale for CAGs who may normally avoid the BBV thread. Note that all used games $14.99 and under are Buy 1 Get 1 Free at Blockbuster right now, so, really, GTA IV is only $7.50 if you can pair it up with another $14.99 game. Please continue general discussion of the B1G1 sale in the Blockbuster thread and only post about GTA IV in this thread.

Some details that may answer a few questions though:

1) EVERY Blockbuster in the U.S. with the exception of franchise stores should have the $14.99 pricing for both the 360 and PS3 version and should also have the B1G1 sale running. Both are [highlight]automatic[/highlight] so no matter what you are told by the store employees you will get the deal (unless they override it manually). The price drop just happened so many stores will still have them tagged $24.99 or $29.99. TRUST in CAG and you will get your cheap GTA IV ;).

2) For the most part, these were former rental copies and thus just about every Blockbuster should be overflowing with this game, particularly for the 360. When buying a copy make sure to ask to look at a few discs so you get a good one. Chances are they had a few copies that never got rented at all and are still mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='js097']went to four different blockbusters in San Francisco. Only one had several PS3 GTAIVs, and it was marked $29.99. I had the clerk can it and it still rang up $29.99. Oh well.[/quote]

What do you expect in SF area? Higher prices on everything. I didn't even bother to hunt, just like all those Target clearance stuff.

[quote name='io']Well, THAT one I can explain - $40.99 is the NEW price at Blockbuster. They are having a fairly comprehensive clearance on new games that has been ongoing for a while (again, read the BBV thread for more info). GTA IV is the odd price of $40.99 new - so what they did there was scan the bar code on the game and not the used bar code that is stuck on the case for used games. That is a common occurence with less knowledgable BBV employees ;).[/QUOTE]

That's what i figured.

GTA had a previously played sticker but no barcode... The clerk scanned this other box and rang up at $40.99... I left kind of bewildered but luckily I found GTA at another Blockbuster.

Awesome deal. I got in on this today, and it marks one of the best deals I've gotten all year.

Thank you io for letting this stay in its own thread (at least for now). I never would have found it otherwise. I only drop into the BBV thread about once a month or so, so if this thread weren't here, I definitely would have missed out on this deal.

I'd be at a Blockbuster video right now if there wasn't a snow emergency in effect. Maybe tomorrow after the plows come through. Thanks OP!

[quote name='buster90']I just picked up 4 Wii games for $20

Super Swing Golf 2
Battle of the Bands
Nights
Man Hunt 2[/QUOTE]

Manhunt 2 on Wii or PS2?

I was only able to find the PS2 (no instructions, fake box).

[quote name='js097']went to four different blockbusters in San Francisco. Only one had several PS3 GTAIVs, and it was marked $29.99. I had the clerk can it and it still rang up $29.99. Oh well.[/quote]
It's probably new. You have to look for a used one. I also went around frisco and DC found some on xbox 360 and only one for ps3 but that's all the way to blockbuster at South City (South San Francisco). For some reason someone is hoarding all the copies of GTA in frisco and DC. On the second day of the deal started I went to my blockbuster and it's all sold out but I always sees 10 to 15 copies for sale for the ps3. Didn't even leave me at least one:bomb:.

The first one I checked didn't have GTA4 for the PS3 just the 360 but I checked the one in the next town over after verifying it was a corperate store not a franchise and they had it fr the PS3

Mine had about 20 GTA4 360s labeled $24.99 but rang up at $14.99- they had none for the PS3. I didn't get it yet because I wasn't sure what to get with it. They had Condemned 2 (which I love but have on the PS3 which I may be selling) or Lost Planet which they only had 1 of. I will probably get Condemned 2 since they had several copies and hopefully one that isn't raped and then that can go along with Condemned 1 which I will be buying at CC with the %10 off coupon.

GTA4 was the only good game at $14.99 or under. The toughest part was finding out which game was even worth picking up for free. I picked Marvel Ultimate Alliance since it was one of the few non-sports games. I figure if I don't like it, then it will be easier to trade back.

^^^ Ralphie, awesome!

[quote name='C00K']Is there a compiled list of used games $14.99 and under? I checked both threads and didn't see anything.[/quote]

Yeah, that would be cool since we can't trust the stickers they put on the boxes. I wonder if I should just get 2 GTA4s and flip 1, although I don't like doing that.

EDIT: Nevermind, the list is on the BBV/Gamerush thread.

Any way to figure out if a BBV is a franchise or corporate store? I tried calling my two local BBVs but neither would divulge their info.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Any way to figure out if a BBV is a franchise or corporate store? I tried calling my two local BBVs but neither would divulge their info.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.

Condemned 2 is $14.99 as well as well as Advanced Wars: Days or Ruin and if you picked up Golden Axe:Beast Rider from Amazon a few days back, you can trade it in for $25.

My last trip to Blockbuster made me very thankful I signed up for the discounted year of Gamefly. I picked up GTAIV and was looking for a game to go with it. I saw that Mass Effect was $19.99 new, so I figured it had to be $14.99 used. Nope. Used was the same price as new. I went back to look for a different game and while I had been in line some guy had picked up like ten of the $14.99 games, so there was nothing left for 360. I just picked up a random $14.99 PS3 game because I just wanted to get out of there. When I went to check out they didn't have a disk to go my GTA disk. The jackass that came in after me got the last one.

At that point I gave up on games and just got the Dark Knight blu-ray to use up the last of my credit. My wife has strict instructions to kick me in the balls if I ever think about going back there again.

Thanks A TON for this info. I bolted on down to Blockbuster as soon as I saw this. They had 1 copy left of GTA IV for PS3 :D. Couldn't find Orange Box or anything else good for PS3 for under $15, so I went with Geometry Wars for Wii for my free game. Good stuff--and both discs and boxes look almost mint too. Thanks again.

Why I hate Blockbuster.

So I get there and they have 2 GTAIV cases in the PS3 used section -- one with sticker and one without. I took one of the cases up with another game (Ridge Racer 7 -- figured it'd be worth the free) to teh register. 10 minutes goes by while she is looking for GTAIV and she can't find it. She goes "Well, are you sure this was in the used section? This looks like a rental case" and I'm like "WEll, theres a few over there with stickers, too, are you sure you don't have it?". She refused to check again.

When I tried to pull out of the deal she got rather bitchy, so I just stuck Dark Sector and ridge racer up there, paid my 15 bucks and left. I didn't have time to talk to a manager (she "Claimed" she was one, herself. I'd be damned if that was true -- she didn't even know about the B1G1 deal)

Honestly, I've never had great service with Blockbuster, but I figured I'd give them a second chance. After the experience I had yesterday, though....they won't be seeing another cent of my money.

Anyway...that's my little rant. So no GTA for me for Christmas. Anyone know if Ridge Racer 7 and Dark Sector are worth anything? lol.

Wow, I had to go to 8 BB before I found it.
I went to the last one and it seemed like they also didn't have it.

Turned around as I was walking out and BAM:
seaeww.jpg

[quote name='jkanownik'] My wife has strict instructions to kick me in the balls if I ever think about going back there again.[/quote]

Best post.

Best deal so far that I was able to prophet off of. I got 4 copies and sold 3 of them on craigslist for 25$.

Now I have extra dough to spend for an upcoming B2G1 sale.

Man I'm leaving later to grab a copy GTA4, thanks again CAG for the info. Is there anything else that might be worth it, heard from 1 person that they got Condemned 2 for $14.99 which sounds good. Btw im only looking for PSdrizzle games.

[quote name='dallow']Wow, I had to go to 8 BB before I found it.
I went to the last one and it seemed like they also didn't have it.

Turned around as I was walking out and BAM:
seaeww.jpg
[/quote]
Holy crap your BB looks clean.

Mine here in Clermont, FL had like 20 copies on both 360 and PS3. I grabbed a 360 version and Turok. Not bad for $8 a piece. Thanks OP!

Weekend haul:

PS3:

GTA4
Unreal 3 = $15

Virtua Tennis
Dark Sector = $10

PSP:

Patapon
Full Auto 2 = $10

Awesome sale BBV! GS would die and go out of business before they would have a great sale like this

[quote name='Stingermck']Weekend haul:

PS3:

GTA4
Unreal 3 = $15

Virtua Tennis
Dark Sector = $10

PSP:

Patapon
Full Auto 2 = $10

Awesome sale BBV! GS would die and go out of business before they would have a great sale like this[/quote]

Good choice with the Virtua Tennis.. been looking for a cheap copy for a while, picked it up at my local BBV also w/ The Darkness. :D Cheers.

[quote name='shnizzle66']What does Turok ring up at for 360?[/quote]

Same price as GTA IV, $14.99. 4 or 5 copies at my store.

[quote name='david12795']Question for you flippers:

I saw literally like 15+ copies of GTA IV 360 at my BBV. Would you buy them all?[/quote]

I think it depends on what you plan to do with them. If you have no real certain plans, I wouldn't just pick them up.

Half.com has way too many copies available right now, and the sellers are obviously coming from this Sale.
If you're planning to flip them to Gamestop, you obviously would need a few stores to spread them through (not worth it to me).
I'd say Craiglist could be a good possibility, but again it all depends on how many other people are doing the same thing in your area.

[quote name='sbaker44']Same price as GTA IV, $14.99. 4 or 5 copies at my store.[/quote]

Meh, I don't think the copy at my bbv had a 360 case/manual anyway. There's no list of games marked at like 20-35 but are really 15?

got it for $14.99 - cashier claimed there was no b1g1 in effect. Still happy - great game with manual and map.

[quote name='david12795']Did anybody get a complete copy of GTA IV for ps3? I got the crappy rental box while the 360 were mint and complete[/quote]

My store had some in rental cases and some in actual game cases.

[quote name='sbaker44']My store had some in rental cases and some in actual game cases.[/quote]

Sometimes you just need to ask if they have any of the original cases. I've heard that some stores just throw the originals out while some stores keep them in back stock or behind the counter... some goes with the manuals... but it depends on the store because some of the stores have a back stock no larger than a broom closet and they use it solely for things that need to be secured, like game consoles, etc.

My point is really just "It never hurts to ask"... and if they tell you they throw them away then maybe you could just go around back and check the dumpster to see if you can find hoards of 360/PS3 style cases.

Picked up GTAIV and Frontlines: Fuel of War for 14.99 + tax.

Also was given the worst service I've had at a Blockbuster...then again, they had apparently recently been "jacked."
Still, don't try to take it out on me.[quote name='js097']got it for $14.99 - cashier claimed there was no b1g1 in effect. Still happy - great game with manual and map.[/quote]I would definitely go to Blockbuster.com and hit the "Contact Us" link...

My haul from Blockbuster is as follows:

All games are for the 360

GTA IV $14.99 + GTA IV free
(had NBA Live 08, but switched it for another GTA IV; both copies of GTA IV are flawless with new maps, instrux, and clean discs, basically new)

Prey $6.99 + Major League Baseball 2K7 free
(Radio Shack had 2K8 for $9.97, but I had the clerk go on the Internet and look up both games on Gamespot and 2K7 had much better reviews, so I stuck with 2K7, which I'd alredy bought at BB)

Darkness $9.99 + SpiderMan Friend or Foe free
I've heard nothing but great things about Darkness and just decided on SpiderMan because nothing else looked good. Might go back and switch SM:FoF for Conan, after seeing its bad reviews)

[quote name='DrBrianFields']Sometimes you just need to ask if they have any of the original cases. I've heard that some stores just throw the originals out while some stores keep them in back stock or behind the counter... some goes with the manuals... but it depends on the store because some of the stores have a back stock no larger than a broom closet and they use it solely for things that need to be secured, like game consoles, etc.

My point is really just "It never hurts to ask"... and if they tell you they throw them away then maybe you could just go around back and check the dumpster to see if you can find hoards of 360/PS3 style cases.[/quote]

He's right. I went to 3 different BB's and the one where I bought Darkness and SpiderMan, the boxes had stickers and were ratty. I simply asked could I switch out the cases for new ones, and the girl was like, Sure.

Simple as that.

All of my games have the booklets with them. One store barely had any booklets. I was lucky enough to find a 2K7 game going for $9.99 that had a booklet and simply switched it to my $6.99 copy.

I kept seeing Innocent Life for $9.99. Wasn't sure how good it was though. Also saw Virtua Tennis 3 several times for $4.99 but without the booklet. If that doesn't bother others, it could be a good deal. But Amazon had the game for $9.99 new a few times over the past month, so I'd probably go for a new copy if you can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back