Halo: Reach

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finally finished the grind from WO 3rd Grade to Captain. Did 3 of the 4 daily challenges. Would have liked to have got the 4th to get the weekly challenge since I won't get to play again before it resets (family visiting), but just no way my sucky ass was getting 11 head shots in one MP game. Closest I got was 8 as I suck ass at Swat and don't play it often.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I did the same thing last night. Did 3 of the 4 challenges(I did the headshot one and got it in my first game. :)) and finally got over the WO3 hump to Captain. I forgot there was an achievement for it, that was a nice surprise.

I'm LOVING the challenges, but damn it brings out the douchebags, and I'm not even talking about verbal issues since I go mic-less when I play solo. Since one of the challenges was kill 20 Elites in Firefight you'd have 1-2 assholes every match just sitting there doing nothing until the wave with Elites making me and another guy do all the work. I swear one match I was the only one playing the first 2-3 waves. Fortunately I still got most of the Elite kills anyway. Then you have the people that hit their required 20 and quit out a wave before the game is over.

I know these are minor complaints, but is it really that hard to play the game as intended, and finish your match? We're talking about 2 minutes tops. Who is that pressed for time?

Oh, and I stopped booting people. One guy was intentionally sniping me, I guess because he wanted out of the match. fuck that. Forgive and reported. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']Wow, I did the same thing last night. Did 3 of the 4 challenges(I did the headshot one and got it in my first game. :)) and finally got over the WO3 hump to Captain. I forgot there was an achievement for it, that was a nice surprise.

I'm LOVING the challenges, but damn it brings out the douchebags, and I'm not even talking about verbal issues since I go mic-less when I play solo. Since one of the challenges was kill 20 Elites in Firefight you'd have 1-2 assholes every match just sitting there doing nothing until the wave with Elites making me and another guy do all the work. I swear one match I was the only one playing the first 2-3 waves. Fortunately I still got most of the Elite kills anyway. Then you have the people that hit their required 20 and quit out a wave before the game is over.

I know these are minor complaints, but is it really that hard to play the game as intended, and finish your match? We're talking about 2 minutes tops. Who is that pressed for time?

Oh, and I stopped booting people. One guy was intentionally sniping me, I guess because he wanted out of the match. fuck that. Forgive and reported. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I had similar issues with people in Firefight last night. I don't play a lot of multiplayer or firefight so I hadn't gotten either challenge achievement. After looking at the challenges for yesterday I knew that was my best bet to get them done quickly and easily. Every other challenge combined couldn't have taken me more than 45 minutes total. I think I spent another hour just on firefight. That was far longer than it should have taken. Part of it was luck, during two games I think we only got 4 elites and lots of brutes. Mostly it was the people.

Just like you I had people who didn't start playing until elites showed up. Except for one rocket fight, everyone kept voting for sniper fight, my least favorite firefight type. I love sniping, but I feel like it slows that game mode down and the time between shots meant I had way more assists against elites than I did kills. I kept lowering shields and other people would finish them off. Sure, I guess I could have kept them in my sights and only fired when their shields went down, but then I'd be the jerk.

I also had a couple of games where everyone else on my team voted for sniper fight, but then two people would end up using covenant weapons and running around the battlefield getting in the way of the two of us who were sniping. I don't mind suffering through a game type that I dislike, but why vote for it if you're not going to play it? And, yeah, people kept leaving early.

I love the way you handled the team killer by the way. I like the feedback and complaint system on Xbox Live. Too bad there's no shortage of people to replace those jerks playing the game.

For the longest time, the rank of Captain was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_4uL19DwEk .

But no longer. Did the three firefight challenges today and a quick game of rumble pit and finally got it. On an unrelated note, discovered the tactical/patrol chest piece that unlocks at Major. I think I'll be buying that once I can. :D

[quote name='Pirate331']It goes a lot quicker from Cpt. G1 to Major. I'm probably around 60% to Major, and I feel like the whole Cpt. process was quicker than just getting through WO G3.

If you're not so good at multiplayer, then campaign and firefight commendations are your friends.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the gap between WO3 and Captain was 66,000 credits. The next few are a lot smaller than that. Guess they put that big gap since it's an achievement to hit captain.

And yep I mainly play for daily challenges--particularly when they're firefight related. I tend to get around 800 credits in the score attack modes, plus any commendations or challenges completed.

I don't have the patience to grind those modes, so I'll just hop on and play until I finish challenges for the day. Otherwise I just goof around in Rumble Pit--but mainly just to get kills for daily challenges.

Today's 4 challenges are very doable, may have to make time this afternoon (working at home) before my family arrives for the weekend to knock them out and get the weekly challenge done.

[quote name='reddjoey']Noble Map Pack launching 11/30 for $10. 3 maps and 250 achievement points[/QUOTE]
good god thats a high price

why are these companies screwing us with these per map prices. i mean ill probably buy it, but only because bungie has a shitty way of killing off certain playlists if you don't give them all your monies.

$10 for 3 maps is the same as it was for Halo 3. I'm not saying that makes it right, but it's the way it's always been this gen.

For comparison CoD maps are $15/5 which is roughly the same.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I wish more than one of these new maps supported Invasion; that's pretty much the only multiplayer mode I play.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they get in some community maps in the playlist eventually.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Anyone feel like flying over here and helping me clean my damn house so that I can get the cable company to come install their internet? :)

It does suck missing out on all these daily/weekly challenges and only being able to play online when I head over a bud's house.

Hustletron, I didn't mean to be so harsh about what I said, brother, lack of sleep kind of re-worded my meaning. However, I will say, you do seem to have that MLG "pros only, scrubs get out" attitude about you, which irks me a bit. I play for fun, if I lose I just shrug it off and go to the next game. What I meant about the practice thing, is that if I find that I'm having some bad games in SWAT, I'm not just going to quit out and never play the damn mode again, I'd like to play it every now and then and see if I can get better at it so that I can have more fun. Same with every other game mode.

I think everything would be better if people just took it easy, or as other people have said, have the MLG-minded stay in the Arena with the other competitives and let me just have fun in my Social matches. Gaming isn't all about being hardcore, there's no use in spending 60 bucks in a game to piss yourself off.[/QUOTE]
I would just like to say something about that last statement, I think regardless if you spent 60 on a game or got it for free you're eventually gonna get pissed of at something.

I actually admire those people who can go 2-12 or 5-17 in a game and still keep on playing. They must have some kind of fierce determination.

So has anyone else on CAG got the disc read error/DVD in drive issue?

It happended to me last night but went away after I re-inserted the game. There was 0 scratchs on the game and when I tried to load it there was just a giant xbox logo on my screen and the game won't load. I had a falcon 360 but it got the RROD so they sent me a refurb which is most likely one of the much older 360's in terms of disc drives. I've read the only way to get the problem addressed is to call 1-800-MYXBOX and get another refurb. Bleh, I think MS has finally convinced me to buy a new elite by spring (or sooner if the situation gets worst.).

Yeah, map pack is still gonna do well regardless since most ppl don't feel they're spending $ once it gets converted to space bucks...plus if the kid's parents are paying for it, they really don't care I'm sure.

I'm hoping it'll go on sale by the holidays.

As for ppl going 2-12 and still playing, you'll never get better if you don't get up and keep at it. Fierce determination or just playing for the sake of playing and being a good sport.

[quote name='100xp']Yeah, map pack is still gonna do well regardless since most ppl don't feel they're spending $ once it gets converted to space bucks...plus if the kid's parents are paying for it, they really don't care I'm sure.

I'm hoping it'll go on sale by the holidays.

As for ppl going 2-12 and still playing, you'll never get better if you don't get up and keep at it. Fierce determination or just playing for the sake of playing and being a good sport.[/QUOTE]

if youre hoping for the map pack to drop in price by the holidays I think there is literally zero chance of that happening. youre talking within a month of release, no way that happens.

[quote name='bs000']I got disconnected during a Rocketfight. I think it gave me credit for the challenge, but it still shows the challenge as incomplete. I guess getting DCed from Live triggered that bug people were using to gain credits fast.

Does this mean I can't play firefight for the rest of the day? I want to play, but I don't want to risk having my rank reset by completing the same challenge twice :([/QUOTE]

Ideally they'd only XP ban chronic troublemakers, but I'm not sure I'd risk it. I imagine Bungie would be smart enough to let a disconnect or two slide. I do specifically remember reading that part of the criteria for their banning was if you had completed a challenge more than once, though.

Where do you checks check online to see the daily challenges? I don't want to fire up Reach just to see if any of them are worth it to me?

Edit - Big Thanks to 7th Number!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hufferstl']Where do you checks check online to see the daily challenges? I don't want to fire up Reach just to see if any of them are worth it to me?[/QUOTE]

For you personally...Bookmark it, it changes everyday. :) http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Challenges.aspx?player=coreyandtrevor

As for the map pack.... i might buy it but it depends on how into Black Ops i am. Im really getting tired of halo, but ive been playing it everyday since i got it.

3 maps for $10? Really? They should have had more maps on the disc at launch and not some trash half assed forge world maps. Oh well, Black Ops will be out by then and hopefully they will have the grifball update out by then too.

[quote name='paz9x']if youre hoping for the map pack to drop in price by the holidays I think there is literally zero chance of that happening. youre talking within a month of release, no way that happens.[/QUOTE]

There's always hope...and if it doesn't, oh well. Plenty of games that will more than occupy my time including my backlog. 3 extra MP maps won't make or break my reach experience. As for zero chance of a sale? Holidays break the norm constantly, also the fact that MoH and CoD are all out/coming out int he same quarter could mean a price break after the initial rush of buyers.

I get annoyed with a map pack released within two months of launch for a game that shipped with arguable too few maps to begin with. Right away the audience is split. Additionally, the use of forgeworld as their map maker really makes it seem like even fewer maps are on the disc and I can't believe one of the DLC maps is also forgeworld created. I'd like to see bungie tap the top community made levels and get those into the rotation. Right now there is very little reason to build anything in forgeworld.

[quote name='prayformojo']I get annoyed with a map pack released within two months of launch for a game that shipped with arguable too few maps to begin with. Right away the audience is split. Additionally, the use of forgeworld as their map maker really makes it seem like even fewer maps are on the disc and I can't believe one of the DLC maps is also forgeworld created. I'd like to see bungie tap the top community made levels and get those into the rotation. Right now there is very little reason to build anything in forgeworld.[/QUOTE]

Well said, if Reach was stacked on good maps I don't think it would be as big of a gripe but this game severely lacks quality maps out of the box.

[quote name='prayformojo']I get annoyed with a map pack released within two months of launch for a game that shipped with arguable too few maps to begin with. Right away the audience is split. Additionally, the use of forgeworld as their map maker really makes it seem like even fewer maps are on the disc and I can't believe one of the DLC maps is also forgeworld created. I'd like to see bungie tap the top community made levels and get those into the rotation. Right now there is very little reason to build anything in forgeworld.[/QUOTE]

Its all a question of perspective. Theres way more map content then Halo 3.

There isnt a Forge World map in DLC. Theres just a new Forgeable map. Which does add alot more value to the DLC.

The pictures of that Tempest map look like the same generic forgeworld environment to me (and if you play Halo Reach you know what the environment is like since every other BTB match is set there). Let's not even dive into how Halo only opens certain gametypes to each map; therefore if you play only BTB or Invasion you are even further limited. COD does this some, but it is usually one or two really small maps.

[quote name='prayformojo'] I'd like to see bungie tap the top community made levels and get those into the rotation. Right now there is very little reason to build anything in forgeworld.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree.

I saw a thread about someone saying you could collect Bing reward credits which turn into or can be turned into MS points. Might look into that.

Found it. http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=50754791

Just signed up and got 250 Bing reward points for signing up then did 50 more points of offers in like 5 minutes for a total of 300, the exchange rate is 100 reward points for 100 MS points so I just got for free.

Knocked out the daily challenges and got the weekly challenge. 3 matches of Gruntpacolypse took care of the fire fight ones, just did rumble pit for the 77 kills.

Had some rough matches, but had a good last one. 25-19 Slayer DMR on Reflection. Only 2nd time I've won a Rumble Pit slayer match.

Well just got my 10 days of playtime requirement in Arena done which put me into the silver division. Now all thats left to do is keep on practicing for next season and go for the gold division. IMO achieving a silver division going in alone and relying on random teammates is pretty good.

If anybody from here wants to join up with me for next season let me know or send me an f/r.

I think the only maps i like to play swat on are asylum, countdown, and sword base. All the other maps i dont like.

Its annoying when you go to play swat, and there is always someone who constantly melees to get kills. One game a dude had 7 melee kills, and hardly any headshots in a swat game. Really? Who goes into a swat game thinking im going to camp in a corner, wait for a dude to run by, then assassinate him. I kind of wish they would remove the speed run from swat, and leave it up to who can shoot, not who can hide and use the speed to catch up behind you and kill you.

I also think its annoying when the names of enemies pop up. Really gives no one any kind of way to hide. Ive even seen names of people through trees, even though i couldnt see them at all. Thats why i love COD hardcore games, no blip maps, no names above their heads.

Ive been trying to play swat to get my headshots commendations, but the more i play swat the more it gets frustrating. You shoot someone in the head 2-3 times and they end up killing you in the end. Sometimes i even shoot them in the head and then move my reticle to somewhere else figuring i killed them because it was so obvious that i got a headshot, but they dont die and im dead. One time i even had the DBR zoomed in knowing this guy was going to come around the corner and once he moved near the reticle, the reticle moves away from him WTF? Its like he pushed it away from him, i thought these things were supposed to be easier to lock on to their heads, not push them away!

All the new maps look bad. Anchor 9 might have some potential after some Forge tweaks though. I think I'll wait for them to drop in price. Hopefully they don't do that you have to buy this map pack to play.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think the only maps i like to play swat on are asylum, countdown, and sword base. All the other maps i dont like.

Its annoying when you go to play swat, and there is always someone who constantly melees to get kills. One game a dude had 7 melee kills, and hardly any headshots in a swat game. Really? Who goes into a swat game thinking im going to camp in a corner, wait for a dude to run by, then assassinate him. I kind of wish they would remove the speed run from swat, and leave it up to who can shoot, not who can hide and use the speed to catch up behind you and kill you.

I also think its annoying when the names of enemies pop up. Really gives no one any kind of way to hide. Ive even seen names of people through trees, even though i couldnt see them at all. Thats why i love COD hardcore games, no blip maps, no names above their heads.

Ive been trying to play swat to get my headshots commendations, but the more i play swat the more it gets frustrating. You shoot someone in the head 2-3 times and they end up killing you in the end. Sometimes i even shoot them in the head and then move my reticle to somewhere else figuring i killed them because it was so obvious that i got a headshot, but they dont die and im dead. One time i even had the DBR zoomed in knowing this guy was going to come around the corner and once he moved near the reticle, the reticle moves away from him WTF? Its like he pushed it away from him, i thought these things were supposed to be easier to lock on to their heads, not push them away![/QUOTE]

Ya those are the only maps I like with the inclusion of Reflection. I was playing Sword Base earlier today in SWAT and went up the green elevator lift, right out side in the other room looking at the elevator room doorway is a crouched enemy sitting there racking up kills. All he had to do was sit his crosshair on 1 spot for people that kept coming up the elevator on my team, he didn't move or anything just crouched and fired.

I'm not gonna be buying the maps, not only cuz they are charging but because in their latest weekly update they talk about how the MLG group and Grifball groups are what's holding up those playlists from being implemented which is bullshit because a community leader from Grifball Hub has had a VERY well made grifball map uploaded for a while now.

There's at least 3 grifball maps that are already in the file share that have been tested and are currently being played on but Bungie for some reason can't implement those but they can add "Living Dead" as a sole playlist on the 19th. Pathetic.

3 maps for $10...damn, and here I thought MW2's map pricing hurt. Now if they include some armor on the DLC it would add to it, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It works, I've redeemed 400 points over the past couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

Don't they mail you the 100 point card though? I had like 600 points but stopped when I found that out. I wasn't paying for all of that pointless shipping.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']3 maps for $10...damn, and here I thought MW2's map pricing hurt. Now if they include some armor on the DLC it would add to it, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna touch the price point issue as that's touchy with some people but these have been the prices for maps since Halo 3 too. Nothing really out of the ordinary, I would like all map DLC to be cheaper though.

[quote name='hustletron']I saw a thread about someone saying you could collect Bing reward credits which turn into or can be turned into MS points. Might look into that.

Found it. http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=50754791

Just signed up and got 250 Bing reward points for signing up then did 50 more points of offers in like 5 minutes for a total of 300, the exchange rate is 100 reward points for 100 MS points so I just got for free.[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't forget the CAG thread about it. :)

[quote name='hustletron']
I'm not gonna be buying the maps, not only cuz they are charging but because in their latest weekly update they talk about how the MLG group and Grifball groups are what's holding up those playlists from being implemented which is bullshit because a community leader from Grifball Hub has had a VERY well made grifball map uploaded for a while now.

[/QUOTE]

Theres a story on Grifballhub of them asking for submissions to possibly go into the playlist and that they need at least a dozen maps for it. That sounds like they arent ready.

So commendations dont count if you play on easy? Unless the AR isnt an automatic weapon, it doesnt. Just wasted going through a level to get automatic weapon kills. Too bad you cant view your commendations while you are playing a level.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Nope, they email them to you. I got my x2 100pts codes via email a couple days ago.[/QUOTE]

DANGIT! Well, thanks for pointing that out. I better get going with that. How long did it take for you to get those?

Just finished the game solo on Legendary...wow...2 parts I can think of are incredibly difficult...the rest are all just majorly difficult. Thank god I did it, I was going to murder someone if not.

Oh, man, did I ever just see a "Fail of the Week" candidate. Some dude was using the jetpack. He was up in the air when I noticed him. I took a few shots, he threw a grenade at me, and flew over me...right into his own grenade. I do love the fact that when people suicide, you get credit if you hit before it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']So commendations dont count if you play on easy? Unless the AR isnt an automatic weapon, it doesnt. Just wasted going through a level to get automatic weapon kills. Too bad you cant view your commendations while you are playing a level.[/QUOTE]

Commendations at a certain tier stop awarding cR at Normal i've noticed, so now I play on Heroic or Legendary. Notice that Score Attack and FF is always set to Heroric in MM, thus you always reaping commendation rewards. (if you havent maxed it already)

bread's done
Back