Heroes Volume 4: Fugitives

nice episode. but for some reason I just can't shake the fact that Magneto is going to appear sooner or later. but great episode and I am hooked for the rest of the season.

I wasn't expecting much, but I was decently surprised. A lot of nods to Season 1 in there. Thankfully this episode was enough of a hook to keep me watching again next week. I was almost done with Heroes for a while there.

I hope they keep this up. Kill off some of the more annoying/useless characters (Mohinder, Hiro and/or Ando, Tracy) and this could end up to be a great volume.

That was a good start to the rest of the season. Favorite scenes were the Fallout 3 nod "I don't want to set the world on fire", Sylar kicking the SWAT teams butts, and the plane crash.

[quote name='Salamando3000']So, what was up with Peter's powers? Didn't he just have to be near people to get their stuff? This episode, he only got powers by touch.[/QUOTE]

I wonder, maybe his power changed to only being able to keep one at a time.

[quote name='coolsteel']Peter you gotta stop hugging family members![/QUOTE]

when will he ever learn....

also, badass show this time, was rather surprised. For some reason I feel like the most drama I've seen in another show was in Xmen (original animated one) with the Phalanax Covenant (sp?) storyline.

[quote name='GameOnJohn']That was a good start to the rest of the season. Favorite scenes were the Fallout 3 nod "I don't want to set the world on fire", Sylar kicking the SWAT teams butts, and the plane crash.[/QUOTE]

Correction, plane did not crash yet (in another xmen reference) maybe Magneto will put it back together.

[quote name='Arakias']when will he ever learn....

also, badass show this time, was rather surprised. For some reason I feel like the most drama I've seen in another show was in Xmen (original animated one) with the Phalanax Covenant (sp?) storyline.

Correction, plane did not crash yet (in another xmen reference) maybe Magneto will put it back together.[/QUOTE]
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who immediately went to Fallout 3 with "I don't want to set the world on fire..."

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm so glad I'm not the only one who immediately went to Fallout 3 with "I don't want to set the world on fire..."[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I have no idea why you quoted me as I didnt refer to Fallout 3, I have yet to play it... but plan to soon I think.

[quote name='Arakias']Unfortunately, I have no idea why you quoted me as I didnt refer to Fallout 3, I have yet to play it... but plan to soon I think.[/QUOTE]
You quoted the dude who...

...ah forget it.

[quote name='ihadFG']That was just the song from Fallout 3. :cool:[/QUOTE]

The. Ink. Spots.

Come on, people. Yes, yes, it's "that one Fallout song," but it's also a fairly well known tune on its own.

Christ.

I think the show has too many turns. The wife and I tore through the first three seasons on Netflix (thanks, Xbox!) and really dug the show. But perhaps I've forgotten each character's motivation, but I don't remember why HRG/Bennett is working with Nathan Petrelli now. He's gone back and forth in his character that I don't think I care enough to overlook the surely gaping holes in logic there. Too many turns for my liking.

And I goddamn near threw my remote through the telly during the segment between Parkman and Usutu. Usutu had his staff on his shoulders in some parts, and was holding it upright in others. He switched between both postures at least three times, and we're not talking "Usutu/cut to Parkman/back to Usutu" stuff. It's "Usutu/Usutu at a different angle and in a split second he's changed his posture/cut to another angle where he's now back to how he was standing originally" stuff. fucking high school filmmakers get C minuses for that kind of flagrant error; not prime time NBC programming. fucking hell, get some fuckers to direct or edit that shit. It's embarrassing for me, and I'm just a viewer, not someone who made the show.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's "Usutu/Usutu at a different angle and in a split second he's changed his posture/cut to another angle where he's now back to how he was standing originally" stuff. fucking high school filmmakers get C minuses for that kind of flagrant error; not prime time NBC programming. fucking hell, get some fuckers to direct or edit that shit. It's embarrassing for me, and I'm just a viewer, not someone who made the show.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was him changing his posture as well, but I believe that his staff had some sort of triangle shape on the end of it as it was. anyone care to remedy this confusion?

[quote name='Arakias']I thought it was him changing his posture as well, but I believe that his staff had some sort of triangle shape on the end of it as it was. anyone care to remedy this confusion?[/QUOTE]

Here's your potential remedies:

1) (I call this the "real world" answer): the editing was done by monkeys with heroin addicitions. Or, more accurately, everybody on the set was asleep at the wheel that day, and the editing and post production was done by people who couldn't fucking care less, or simply didn't notice.

2) (I call this the "fucking nerdsHeroes apologist answer"): he doesn't exist in real world time, as he's a figment of Parkman's imagination; therefore, he doesn't need to conform to rules of behavior in natural world time flow.

[quote name='mykevermin']Here's your potential remedies:

1) (I call this the "real world" answer): the editing was done by monkeys with heroin addicitions. Or, more accurately, everybody on the set was asleep at the wheel that day, and the editing and post production was done by people who couldn't fucking care less, or simply didn't notice.

2) (I call this the "fucking nerdsHeroes apologist answer"): he doesn't exist in real world time, as he's a figment of Parkman's imagination; therefore, he doesn't need to conform to rules of behavior in natural world time flow.[/quote]

Well, there was also one point where he was about 10 feet to the side of Parkman then when Parkman looks the other way, he's right beside him. Was that also an editing mistake? It really seems like the whole staff thing was intentional.

Also, Noah is dead to me
until he switches sides again

[quote name='coolsteel']I wonder, maybe his power changed to only being able to keep one at a time.[/quote]

I could support that. Would make him a lot less overpowered and would explain why he didn't just fly out of the hole. But if he does, then that throws that theory right out the window.

And man, I was hoping that they kept Time Travel/Precognition in the past...knowing the future is far too complicated a concept for this show to properly handle...sooo many time paradoxes already.

Things are getting closer to where they were in season 1. I preferred not knowing which side Noah was on, made it more interesting.

I bet Noah is playing the "undercover" role again so he can get an idea of the operation thats being run and find out how he can take it down.

[quote name='Will']I bet Noah is playing the "undercover" role again so he can get an idea of the operation thats being run and find out how he can take it down.[/QUOTE]

Or, he made a deal so that Claire would not be abducted.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I could support that. Would make him a lot less overpowered [/quote]

Peter was always the one that could face sylar 1 on 1 - otherwise, he has no match(though i guess speedy girl could stab him in the head, or Hiro(though no more powers))

I thought this episode was $$$.

I was waiting for Peter to just fly out and grab the plane Superman style since he had Mohinder's strength, but if he doesn't then I guess the one power at a time theory will hold true.

Also, they can kill Icegirl and Mohinder if they want, but if Hiro dies, I just don't know.

Plus, did anyone notice Brea Grant's (Daphne) name was credited as a special guest?

Does that means she will die? Like Elle did as Kristen was credited as a special guest?

[quote name='slickkill77']One thing I didn't get was why Peter didn't just fly out of the plane.....[/QUOTE]

i would assume he still wanted to save the others

[quote name='Salamando3000']So, what was up with Peter's powers? Didn't he just have to be near people to get their stuff? This episode, he only got powers by touch.[/QUOTE]

i think maybe hes just better at stealing powers now, and maybe touch is part of that. i mean the first seasons didnt explain his power in much detail, other than he got it from other people. maybe it was touch the whole time and not simply being in proximity to people. also, the effect they used was a lot like the one they used for his dad, so im thinking he has the same power as his dad and eventually will learn to completely strip peoples powers.

[quote name='mykevermin']

I think the show has too many turns. The wife and I tore through the first three seasons on Netflix (thanks, Xbox!) and really dug the show. But perhaps I've forgotten each character's motivation, but I don't remember why HRG/Bennett is working with Nathan Petrelli now. He's gone back and forth in his character that I don't think I care enough to overlook the surely gaping holes in logic there. Too many turns for my liking.
[/QUOTE]

noah has flip flopped so many times now i cant ever keep track. hes a either a chump or the easiest person to blackmail in the world, or most likely both. hes gone from cool vigilante with the haitian to pathetic chump that cant say no to anybody.

some other thoughts...

sylar is the best character on the show, i love how since season one theyve kept him walking that fine line between good and evil. sure, hes a killer, but as long as he has a common enemy with everyone else we get to root for him. good stuff.

[quote name='slickkill77']One thing I didn't get was why Peter didn't just fly out of the plane.....[/quote]
I think he might be able to hold only one power at a time now. When he touched the girl he seemed to lose the super strength in favor of the freezing touch, and got his butt kicked by the guard.

How did Ando get his powers? I stopped watching hero's last year, because the story just sucked. I read that the original guys that did season 1 were coming back for the spring so I gave it a try, and Ando has powers!? Anyway. great episode.

Ando got his power artificially through a serum created by Mohinder. I don't think Peter can only copy one more power at a time. He copied Mohinder's strength, then the ice chick's freezing ability, it looked like he still had Mohinde's strength when he was holding on in the plane.

I liked how they had Mohinder back to driving a cab.:lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']The. Ink. Spots.

Come on, people. Yes, yes, it's "that one Fallout song," but it's also a fairly well known tune on its own.

Christ.

I think the show has too many turns. The wife and I tore through the first three seasons on Netflix (thanks, Xbox!) and really dug the show. But perhaps I've forgotten each character's motivation, but I don't remember why HRG/Bennett is working with Nathan Petrelli now. He's gone back and forth in his character that I don't think I care enough to overlook the surely gaping holes in logic there. Too many turns for my liking.[/quote]
At the bottom of it all, he just loves to catch him some freaks. It's like Pokemon.
[quote name='mykevermin']
And I goddamn near threw my remote through the telly during the segment between Parkman and Usutu. Usutu had his staff on his shoulders in some parts, and was holding it upright in others. He switched between both postures at least three times, and we're not talking "Usutu/cut to Parkman/back to Usutu" stuff. It's "Usutu/Usutu at a different angle and in a split second he's changed his posture/cut to another angle where he's now back to how he was standing originally" stuff. fucking high school filmmakers get C minuses for that kind of flagrant error; not prime time NBC programming. fucking hell, get some fuckers to direct or edit that shit. It's embarrassing for me, and I'm just a viewer, not someone who made the show.[/quote]
I'm gonna go the 'apologist' route here. I felt the same way you did at first, but then I noticed that the positions of the two of them in relation to each other seemed to jump several times. I think it was intentional, not sloppy. If it were just sloppy, we'd see it in more situations in the show.

The whole one power thing for Peter seems true. After he got strength from Mohinder, he was kicking the guards' asses, but when he got hit from behind and touched ice girl, he couldn't hold his own anymore.

Yeah, but then he touched Mohinder again after the strap he was holding onto broke, he didn't seem any stronger.

after letting the episode sink in, I really think they put together episodes and story lines like the manatee joke from south park. they take old xmen plots and characters and toss them in a tank and let the manatees sort them out.

oh well I will still watch but am I the only one who feels like they know what is going to happen at every turn?

[quote name='mykevermin']The. Ink. Spots.

Christ.

And I goddamn near threw my remote through the telly during the segment between Parkman and Usutu. Usutu had his staff on his shoulders in some parts, and was holding it upright in others. He switched between both postures at least three times, and we're not talking "Usutu/cut to Parkman/back to Usutu" stuff. It's "Usutu/Usutu at a different angle and in a split second he's changed his posture/cut to another angle where he's now back to how he was standing originally" stuff. fucking high school filmmakers get C minuses for that kind of flagrant error; not prime time NBC programming. fucking hell, get some fuckers to direct or edit that shit. It's embarrassing for me, and I'm just a viewer, not someone who made the show.[/quote]

Chill out dude its just a TV show for entertainment. No need to pull a Christen Bale on the show.

And I have a feeling the writers knew that song was from Fallout 3 when they put it in. I don't think they were like Writer 1: "you know I think we should put the great hit song "I don't want to set the world on fire" in this scene. Writer 2: "Oh you mean the song that is is the opening scene to Fallout 3". Writer 1: "Fallout 3? whats that?"

[quote name='Over easy']Or, he made a deal so that Claire would not be abducted.[/QUOTE]

I just assumed that Nathan was the one protecting her...Id hate to think that Noah would make that "claire protection" deal again...that would get old.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']

oh well I will still watch but am I the only one who feels like they know what is going to happen at every turn?[/QUOTE]

True however lets look at it this way...Think of Superman or Batman movies...we know either one will prevail in the end..its how they get there that makes it entertaining.

Now Im just waiting for all the Prison Break ripoff remarks to start....or maybe Con Air to a certain extent.

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, but then he touched Mohinder again after the strap he was holding onto broke, he didn't seem any stronger.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it didnt have the steal power effect either. i dont see why people would think he could have only one power at a time other than he didnt fly out the hole and ditch the people he was trying to save. besides, for all we know in the next episode hes going to do just that. i think its a little early to jump to that conclusion.

LOL at mykevermin overthinking it.

1. Who the hell heard of the Ink Spots before Fallout, was born before the Great War and listening to the Ink Spots outside of some sort of progressive punishment?

2. Why does a figment of imagination have to look right? If the shaman was talking out of his ears, is there really a problem? The point of the shaman is to be unnerving.

Overall, the season is looking up.

[quote name='Will']I just assumed that Nathan was the one protecting her...Id hate to think that Noah would make that "claire protection" deal again...that would get old.[/QUOTE]

If they have Noah protecting Claire again, then it'll be easier for him to switch side later in the story. We probably should find out what's going on next episode.

[quote name='Will']
Now Im just waiting for all the Prison Break ripoff remarks to start....or maybe Con Air to a certain extent.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking this is more US Marshals (would that make Noah Tommy Lee Jones then?).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah, it didn't have the steal power effect either. i don't see why people would think he could have only one power at a time other than he didn't fly out the hole and ditch the people he was trying to save. besides, for all we know in the next episode hes going to do just that. i think its a little early to jump to that conclusion.[/quote]

Slow day at work, so I'm going to over-think this. Turn on your suspension of disbelief.

I watched volumes 2 and 3 last week, so the parts where Mohinder explains how powers work are fresh in my mind. Per Monhinder, his father had it wrong - he was looking for powers in the genetic codes of the individuals. Powers actually are a function of enzymes/proteins and adrenaline -- which is why powers first manifest in a 'fight or flight' situation for most people -- the adrenaline and the enzymes/proteins interact with the already existing genetic information to manifest in a power.

Following this show logic, that is why the power serum work differently on every person who took it -- it didn't GIVE that person a power, it gave their body the ability to create the enzymes/proteins/Midichlorians.

The power already existed, just not the ability to use it. So, then... Unless Peter's genetic code was modified when his powers were stolen, his powers should be exactly the same as what they were. He should have the ability to use the powers of anyone he meets.

Then again.. that's only true if the writers want to be be consistent with the world they created. They would turn Peter into a frog next episode, if they felt like it.

I personally still think that Peter is still deus ex machina.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Slow day at work, so I'm going to over-think this. Turn on your suspension of disbelief.

I watched volumes 2 and 3 last week, so the parts where Mohinder explains how powers work are fresh in my mind. Per Monhinder, his father had it wrong - he was looking for powers in the genetic codes of the individuals. Powers actually are a function of enzymes/proteins and adrenaline -- which is why powers first manifest in a 'fight or flight' situation for most people -- the adrenaline and the enzymes/proteins interact with the already existing genetic information to manifest in a power.

Following this show logic, that is why the power serum work differently on every person who took it -- it didn't GIVE that person a power, it gave their body the ability to create the enzymes/proteins/Midichlorians.

The power already existed, just not the ability to use it. So, then... Unless Peter's genetic code was modified when his powers were stolen, his powers should be exactly the same as what they were. He should have the ability to use the powers of anyone he meets.

Then again.. that's only true if the writers want to be be consistent with the world they created. They would turn Peter into a frog next episode, if they felt like it.

I personally still think that Peter is still deus ex machina.[/QUOTE]

so do i... i was saying that in response to those thinking he could only have one power at a time.

[quote name='BattleChicken']
I watched volumes 2 and 3 last week, so the parts where Mohinder explains how powers work are fresh in my mind. Per Monhinder, his father had it wrong - he was looking for powers in the genetic codes of the individuals. Powers actually are a function of enzymes/proteins and adrenaline -- which is why powers first manifest in a 'fight or flight' situation for most people -- the adrenaline and the enzymes/proteins interact with the already existing genetic information to manifest in a power.[/QUOTE]

Of course for people like Nathan and the 3 Angela Lansburys or Ali Larters or whatever they were given their powers. And for some reason all the powers started in the eclipse in season 1 except for the fact that people like the Petrelli parents had powers in the past and there was Level 5 built for bad guys with powers already even before the eclipse in the first show.

Its not worth it to try to make logic of this show, just enjoy it for popcorn entertainment with maybe a political tinge.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']but for some reason I just can't shake the fact that Magneto is going to appear sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

Don't you think Sylar will be this show's Magneto?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']so do i... i was saying that in response to those thinking he could only have one power at a time.[/quote]

Your post was a convenient one to quote *because* we had the same idea. sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='Arakias']Of course for people like Nathan and the 3 Angela Lansburys or Ali Larters or whatever they were given their powers. And for some reason all the powers started in the eclipse in season 1 except for the fact that people like the Petrelli parents had powers in the past and there was Level 5 built for bad guys with powers already even before the eclipse in the first show.

Its not worth it to try to make logic of this show, just enjoy it for popcorn entertainment with maybe a political tinge.[/quote]

I don't think the show ever attempted to imply that ALL people got their powers the day of the eclipse. But as far as Nathan and frost lady, Yeah. I think that was a last minute tack-on that they didn't think through before they ran it. In Nathan's case, anyways, his powers manifested before the eclipse regardless. When Linderman's goons tried to kill him, he flew out of the car. I think that happened 6 months before the eclipse.

Once again -- slow work day over here, nothing better to do right now.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I personally still think that Peter is still deus ex machina.[/QUOTE]

eh. It's comic book writing for a tv show. The whole thing is a deus ex machina. Or riddled with them, at least.

As soon as I saw Peter grab someone and take their power, this was all I could think about:

6a00d83452033569e200e54hh3.png

Not gonna lie, when Claire escaped I thought she was going to jump into the plane's propellers. The way the camera kept focusing on them and the way she kept looking at them. It would have been funny as hell

I thought Peter just had to be in the same room with the person to steal their power. not touch them.

Plus we have never seen that glowing thing when he steals their power. that looked more like what his dad did.

[quote name='HuBu']I thought Peter just had to be in the same room with the person to steal their power. not touch them.
[/QUOTE]

well, id argue that all the powers that he stole he touched the person at some time or another, i base that off nothing. but the heroes wiki does have a list of characters peter has been nearby and hasnt taken their powers. that would seem to support the touch theory, more like what his dad had.

http://heroeswiki.com/Peter_Petrelli#Abilities_Exposed_To

bread's done
Back