Humble Indie Bundle #3 (5 indie games, pay what you want) - Starts 4/12 9:30am pst

Cantatus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to Kotaku, tomorrow will be the release of yet another Humble Indie pack. For those unaware, these are bundles of indie games, which are pay what you want. A portion of the proceeds go to charities, the developers or both.

The third bundle will launch 4/12 at 9:30am pst and will include:

(Video showing all games and instructions)

The first three games will be redeemable on Steam and are currently available there for $30 total.

The bundle will be available here: The Humble Indie Bundle

[quote name='RollingSkull']Trilobyte isn't really any more indie than any other studio, but I can see there's tremendous value in clinging to that label. These HIB sales are proof.[/QUOTE]

I can see it now...
Indie Bundle #4: 7th Guest, 11th Hour, and pre-order copy of The Collector.

[quote name='Microshock']Jesus christ, why does everything gaming have to support Childs Play? It barely supports any hospitals...

I wish that they supported stuff like animal shelters and AIDS/Cancer stuff. I know plenty of gaming things did Play for Japan recently though[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I donated a tiny amount to Childs Play and the majority of the money to EFF.

what does it matter if the developer is one dude, or a larger corporation like capcom or even EA. It's a pay what you want sale, and you can choose to pay nothing, or to donate to charity, or to donate to a developer. It's a combination of patronage, charity and free with a sliding scale. It would be great if all digital content could be sold this way, where people that really want to support the game pay more, and their generosity would then subsidize freeloaders.
Hell, it would be great if everything were sold this way, but clowns that want to use something without any personal payment would ruin that system, always.
And people would still complain.

[quote name='atrsixaild']is anyone having an issue running trine?

everything seemed to install fine but when i click the shortcut nothing happens.
I'm running windows 7

thanks[/QUOTE]

Everything worked fine for me. I registered mine through Steam though so I really don't know. Did you try going into the install folder and launching the HW utility or direct launcher from there?

The Shadowgrounds games are Windows-only, FYI. Trine is a Steamplay title. I don't know about the two as-yet-unreleased titles. I already have Trine, so I don't think I'll bit on this.

[quote name='crunchewy']The Shadowgrounds games are Windows-only, FYI. Trine is a Steamplay title. I don't know about the two as-yet-unreleased titles. I already have Trine, so I don't think I'll bit on this.[/QUOTE]

No, the Shadowgrounds games (and Trine) are Windows, OS X, and Linux.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I hope that's a (bad) joke...[/QUOTE]

Man I really admire whoever came up with this bundle concept, it is so incredibly effective in convincing people to give money/guilt trip others, much of the money goes to a for profit company(which is somehow different and more deserving because of their "indie label")....$400k in less than 1 day and counting.

There is no shame in paying a penny for a game the developer chooses to make available at that price for their own benefit(the massive exposure/hype for trine 2/share of 400k). The bundle wouldn't be nearly as marketable without the "pay as much as you want" gimmick. Allowing people access to the game for a penny who would have never bought it in the first place is part of the opportunity cost. It is also potentially beneficial to trine 2. These "indie" companies are a business, just like any other. No more or less deserving of our money then any other for profit company.

[quote name='caltab']Man I really admire whoever came up with this bundle concept, it is so incredibly effective in convincing people to give money/guilt trip others, much of the money goes to a for profit company(which is somehow different and more deserving because of their "indie label")....$400k in less than 1 day and counting.

There is no shame in paying a penny for a game the developer chooses to make available at that price for their own benefit(the massive exposure/hype for trine 2/share of 400k).[/QUOTE]

I think the games are worth at least a couple of bucks donated to the two charities.

I plan on getting it just for Trine. I have never heard of the other games, but I' am always willing to play an indie game.

[quote name='louiedog']I think the games are worth at least a couple of bucks donated to the two charities.[/QUOTE]

The default split gives only 30 percent to charity. This is not solely a charitable endeavor. I know you can change the distribution, but I would imagine a lot of people leave it on default. It would be nice to see the default be more generous towards the charities.

[quote name='caltab']The default split gives only 30 percent to charity. This is not solely a charitable endeavor. I know you can change the distribution, but I would imagine a lot of people leave it on default. It would be nice to see the default be more generous towards the charities.[/QUOTE]

Why should it be? Since when is asking for money to buy a game a bad thing?

These are real, commercial games, DRM free, easy to buy, easy to give to charity, etc., and they're typically multiplatform too. There's no way in which this is a bad thing for us.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Why should it be? Since when is asking for money to buy a game a bad thing?

These are real, commercial games, DRM free, easy to buy, easy to give to charity, etc., and they're typically multiplatform too. There's no way in which this is a bad thing for us.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with you, it's not a bad thing for us. It is also not a bad thing for them or Child's Play. There really aren't any losers. I admire the concept as an incredibly effective business tool. My only point is that there is no shame in paying a penny. The only problem I have is a few people making a for profit "indie" developer out to be some kind of charitable cause.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Why should it be? Since when is asking for money to buy a game a bad thing?

These are real, commercial games, DRM free, easy to buy, easy to give to charity, etc., and they're typically multiplatform too. There's no way in which this is a bad thing for us.[/QUOTE]

How are they multiplatform? Trine is Win/Mac, but the other two currently available games are Windows-only.

[quote name='caltab']The default split gives only 30 percent to charity. This is not solely a charitable endeavor. I know you can change the distribution, but I would imagine a lot of people leave it on default. It would be nice to see the default be more generous towards the charities.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we get it. You like to complain about this. You said a penny is fine to give I said I think at least a couple of bucks should go to charity. You don't have to keep at this, you don't have to explain about the default split. You just need to STFU.

i was playing shadowgrounds last night and its actually quite fun. people seem to generally bash the game because its inferior to other games like alien shooter. their reasoning seems to be that there arent many aliens on screen at once in shadowgrounds. im playing on hard mode and that still seems to be the case, but that doesnt mean it still isnt fun. the ability to upgrade weapons always adds to lasting appeal.
only thing is that it doesnt support 1920x1080 resolution right off the bat. I had to change it manually in the config file.
now if only it had steam achievements...

Man, if you are giving them a penny... you're a dick.

At least donate $5 to the charities if you don't feel like supporting the developers. I did a 25-50-25 split between the developers-charities-tip.

[quote name='crunchewy']How are they multiplatform? Trine is Win/Mac, but the other two currently available games are Windows-only.[/QUOTE]

No-as I said before (and as the Humble Bundle website says), Trine, Shadowgrounds, and Shadowgrounds: Survivor are all Windows, OS X, and Linux.

Jack Claw is Windows only, but they say OS X and Linux coming soon.

[quote name='Lutter']Man, if you are giving them a penny... you're a dick.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I guess I'll just have to go pirate the games instead. Thanks!

[quote name='Lutter']Man, if you are giving them a penny... you're a dick.

At least donate $5 to the charities if you don't feel like supporting the developers. I did a 25-50-25 split between the developers-charities-tip.[/QUOTE]

How about if I don't care about supporting Childs Play or EFF?
Childs Play is one of the MOST useless charities ever. Money should be spent on getting those kids OUT, not for tons of useless games that I bet most parents/workers just take home.

Yes, I feel bad for these bed-ridden kids but it's not like they're devoid of entertainment, they have TV/movies and books.

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

It only supports 70 hospitals, even less than the 80 i said. 2.3 million for 70 hospitals? WTF?

Once again, it seems like gamers just donate to this because "OH ITS GAMING AND I GAME SO IF I DONATE TO A GAMING CHARITY IT ALL MAKES SENSE AND IM A REALLY GOOD CHARITABLE GAMER"

[quote name='sealionnn']You can just give all of the money to the developers and tip the owner of the site, like I did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I like the way they did that.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Hmm, I guess I'll just have to go pirate the games instead. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Seriously? IMO you should be permabanned.

[quote name='Microshock']How about if I don't care about supporting Childs Play or EFF?
Childs Play is one of the MOST useless charities ever. Money should be spent on getting those kids OUT, not for tons of useless games that I bet most parents/workers just take home.

Yes, I feel bad for these bed-ridden kids but it's not like they're devoid of entertainment, they have TV/movies and books.

It only supports 70 hospitals, even less than the 80 i said. 2.3 million for 70 hospitals? WTF?

Once again, it seems like gamers just donate to this because "OH ITS GAMING AND I GAME SO IF I DONATE TO A GAMING CHARITY IT ALL MAKES SENSE AND IM A REALLY GOOD CHARITABLE GAMER"[/QUOTE]

You know, I hadn't really thought of that, but it seems like you're right to me. I just gave to the EFF.

I mean Child's Play is sort of cool, but I'd rather money go towards essentials and research, and heck, I've spent a bit on hardware for Folding. Plus I want adults to have games too! :whistle2:D

[quote name='Wolfpup']You know, I hadn't really thought of that, but it seems like you're right to me. I just gave to the EFF.

I mean Child's Play is sort of cool, but I'd rather money go towards essentials and research, and heck, I've spent a bit on hardware for Folding. Plus I want adults to have games too! :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

I take it neither of you have been to a children's hospital, especially around Christmas. Research certainly is a noble cause, but the boost in spirit that something like this provides to children, some of which have spent more time in a hospital than some of us will in our whole lives, is nothing to scoff at.

I gave a dollar....I have no shame!

But really, I had no intentions of buying the games, so I'm not about to pay anywhere near retail for them.

I donated $5.14, which was the average donation at the time. I've got Trine on PS3 and I've barely played it, so I probably wont play it on PC, but I am interested in the other games.

[quote name='ray11chen']does anyone have this message: this version of application can not be used at this version of Mac OS X?[/QUOTE]
For which one?

[quote name='Number 905']I take it neither of you have been to a children's hospital, especially around Christmas. Research certainly is a noble cause, but the boost in spirit that something like this provides to children, some of which have spent more time in a hospital than some of us will in our whole lives, is nothing to scoff at.[/QUOTE]

There..is Toy Drives, you know that right? That gives toys to a lot more kids than Childs Play gives games.

[quote name='Microshock']How about if I don't care about supporting Childs Play or EFF?

Once again, it seems like gamers just donate to this because "OH ITS GAMING AND I GAME SO IF I DONATE TO A GAMING CHARITY IT ALL MAKES SENSE AND IM A REALLY GOOD CHARITABLE GAMER"[/QUOTE]

So for you it'd be, "Oh, it's gaming and I game so I won't donate to a gaming charity because I don't think kids with a terminal illness should have the same entertainment I have. They have enough! I'm so SMRT!"

I guess any way you have to justify paying a penny to indie developers who aren't making much and a charity that has a hard time getting bigger, huh?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Jack Claw is Windows only, but they say OS X and Linux coming soon.[/QUOTE]

Why would they spend the time and effort to covert an "abandoned" project to two other platforms? That doesn't even begin to make sense. (Though yes, you're right, it does say they're "coming soon" . . . )

Also, it says that it requires an XBox controller? So if I have a non-XBox controller (Logitech, in my case), I won't be able to play it?

Microshock, I want to tell you how much of a giant moron you are.

Seriously, have you had to spend years in and out of hospitals? I have. In fact, I have spent the better part of my entire life in and out of hospitals. When I was younger I had extended stays in the hospital, and periods where I literally couldn't get out of bed. My grandparents bought me a gamegear to keep me occupied, and it was one of the greatest things ever. When you literally can't get out of bed, and can't do anything else but be in a hospital, something as small as being able to play your nintendo DS or PSP is an absolutely life saver. Even when I was at home, there were 3 month stretches at a time where I couldn't walk. I had to sleep on the couch in the living room, and the SNES was one of the few items I had to keep me from going insane.

I love Child's Play, and as someone who has chronic conditions and knows what it is like to suffer in hospitals, they continue to get my support and donations, and I continue to tell everyone I know about what a wonderful charity it is.

[quote name='ray11chen']all of them, can't play on my Mac[/QUOTE]
Are the dmg files corrupted? Try downloading again. I actually messed up downloading one before because the default version it downloads is for Windows unless you choose the Mac button.

I proceeded to just redeem them on Steam.

There was once a time when people who were mean, selfish, angry jerks were able to sit home and seethe with rage without bothering anyone.

Then Al Gore invented the Internet and the trolls were unleashed upon the world.

$33,000 for games for kids at a hospital is "useless"; the wrong charities are being benefited; it's a scam; the EFF sucks/rules; I gave one penny more than stealing; and so on. Jeez, it's as if people expect a gold star for sharing their anti-social proclivities.

People here are always bitching about the prices being too high, the publishers being too greedy, the DRM too onerous, and the lack of Steam activation and now that there's a deal that answers all those complaints and PEOPLE ARE STILL BITCHING!!! It's as if they can't be happy unless they're unhappy. Keep your unhappiness to yourself, babies!

FWIW, I gave $7 and split it $5 to devs, $1.30 to Child's Play, and 70 cent tip.

[quote name='outphase']Are the dmg files corrupted? Try downloading again. I actually messed up downloading one before because the default version it downloads is for Windows unless you choose the Mac button.

I proceeded to just redeem them on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am pretty sure I downloaded the Mac version, and I also redeem them on steam. The same message came out when I try to play them. So weird, my system is up to date.

[quote name='arcane93']Why would they spend the time and effort to covert an "abandoned" project to two other platforms? That doesn't even begin to make sense. (Though yes, you're right, it does say they're "coming soon" . . . )

Also, it says that it requires an XBox controller? So if I have a non-XBox controller (Logitech, in my case), I won't be able to play it?[/QUOTE]

I think they want to crowdsource it, hence the inclusion of the source code. Including it in this pack is a smart move on their part to drum up interest in it.

[quote name='ray11chen']Yes, I am pretty sure I downloaded the Mac version, and I also redeem them on steam. The same message came out when I try to play them. So weird, my system is up to date.[/QUOTE]
Until today, both Shadowgrounds games were not playable via Steam for Mac, but it seems to be up now.

Out of curiosity, how to you activate these games on steam? I don't see it anywhere and for the last Indie Pack I bought they later e-mailed me an activation code.

I've currently got 20 humble indie gift code-URLs stacked up in a word document, all registered to one email address. Might come in handy later on to get some friends introduced to Steam.

[quote name='mickleohb']Out of curiosity, how to you activate these games on steam? I don't see it anywhere and for the last Indie Pack I bought they later e-mailed me an activation code.[/QUOTE]

Click the link they emailed you and you should see where to click for your steam key on that page.

[quote name='ElectricStarshine']Microshock, I want to tell you how much of a giant moron you are.

Seriously, have you had to spend years in and out of hospitals? I have. In fact, I have spent the better part of my entire life in and out of hospitals. When I was younger I had extended stays in the hospital, and periods where I literally couldn't get out of bed. My grandparents bought me a gamegear to keep me occupied, and it was one of the greatest things ever. When you literally can't get out of bed, and can't do anything else but be in a hospital, something as small as being able to play your nintendo DS or PSP is an absolutely life saver. Even when I was at home, there were 3 month stretches at a time where I couldn't walk. I had to sleep on the couch in the living room, and the SNES was one of the few items I had to keep me from going insane.

I love Child's Play, and as someone who has chronic conditions and knows what it is like to suffer in hospitals, they continue to get my support and donations, and I continue to tell everyone I know about what a wonderful charity it is.[/QUOTE]

Kids getting toys and games isn't wrong. It's actually very nice. But Childs Play barely supports ANY hospitals. Why should all the money go towards this charity when other charities that have the same sort of focus have a much larger reach? It makes no sense.

bread's done
Back