iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone had bought Puzzle Agent when it was discounted, it's been updated to work with iOS5 now.

Also, Flipboard is out for iPhone. Fantastic news reader/social network app.

The screenshots for Arkham City Lockdown look amazing. Don't know anything about the game, but at least games are looking a lot better on iPhones/iPads

[quote name='Alcedes']retiring apps is the new bullshit tactic from EA:
http://popcap.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=228

WTF, just release it as bejeweled 3, bastards.[/QUOTE]

I understand your frustration as Bejeweled 3 on iOS would be pretty nice, but aside from that I actually welcome this update. I mean for me bejeweled blitz on my iPod has been a staple for me as I try to play every week and at least top my leaderboard. It always seemed a bit odd to me that bejeweled 2 and blitz were shoved into one app since to me each game offers two different experiences. I mean if all I wanted to do was play a couple rounds of blitz it seemed like more work than necessary to do so. This new setup PopCap is going with will fix all that. Plus it may not fully be bejeweled 3 that we're getting but at least it is a start. Hopefully they can update it over time to be the full experience.

As of this moment the new apps having come out in the U.S. yet and I've been checking.

Judging from a vid from Youtube, the Batman game is just a Infinity Blade clone. Lame, actually thought they were somehow able to port AC considering the combat system wouldnt be that hard to put on a touch screen.

In other news, NFL Rivals (Backbreaker with NFL license) just became free.
http://appshopper.com/games/nfl-rivals

Free Xbox Live universal iOS app

Major Nelson's Blog

app store

This free app will allow you to say connected to the Xbox LIVE community when you are away from you console. Some of the features include:

• Read and send messages to friends
  • Manage your friends list, invite new friends
  • Read and Edit your full LIVE profile (name, bio, motto)
  • Change your avatar features/items with the avatar closet
  • View and compare your achievement progress with friends

[quote name='louiedog']Free Xbox Live universal iOS app

Major Nelson's Blog

app store

This free app will allow you to say connected to the Xbox LIVE community when you are away from you console. Some of the features include:

• Read and send messages to friends
  • Manage your friends list, invite new friends
  • Read and Edit your full LIVE profile (name, bio, motto)
  • Change your avatar features/items with the avatar closet
  • View and compare your achievement progress with friends
[/QUOTE]

About damn time.

Yeah, and the Xbox Live app is pretty damn good too! Only thing I'd like to see them add is notifications for messages received. Maybe in an update? Otherwise it's pretty complete. You can even edit your avatar, set beacons, compare achievements, etc. Aside from just seeing who's online and playing what. Good stuff!

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, and the Xbox Live app is pretty damn good too! Only thing I'd like to see them add is notifications for messages received. Maybe in an update? Otherwise it's pretty complete. You can even edit your avatar, set beacons, compare achievements, etc. Aside from just seeing who's online and playing what. Good stuff![/QUOTE]

I agree. I was using an app called "360 Live" by some developer and it was sweet but wasn't official like this one. And the developer for that app charged $3 for premium content like messaging friends from the app and not having ads within the app. It was good but certainly not worth the premium cost. I downloaded Microsoft official app and I love it so far! Certainly replace that third party app I used.

Hmm. I downloaded the Xbox app, but it's saying something is wrong with my login. Anyone know if that's because I haven't updated or accepted the new terms of service yet? I just tried online but got an error when I clicked accept.

EDIT: Yep, that was the problem. Just accepted the terms, and the app works now. I can't wait to mess around with this.

My problem with the Xbox app is the password field. My password is longer than the allowed limit so I can't even log in. :( they need to fix that pronto.

[quote name='mightymek']Hmm. I downloaded the Xbox app, but it's saying something is wrong with my login. Anyone know if that's because I haven't updated or accepted the new terms of service yet? I just tried online but got an error when I clicked accept.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the problem. You need to accept the license agreement that comes with the new dashboard. Until then you are SOL.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']My problem with the Xbox app is the password field. My password is longer than the allowed limit so I can't even log in. :( they need to fix that pronto.[/QUOTE]

LOL! That's a pretty bad goof up. Hopefully they fix that pronto.

I dont know if this has been mentioned but those with the new xbox app, when your avatar is standing there, shake your phone with a hard jerking motion.

The xbox app is really freaking cool. I was expecting some half assed POS to be honest, but it seems really fleshed out and functional. About time they released something like this.

[quote name='crookshow']The xbox app is really freaking cool. I was expecting some half assed POS to be honest, but it seems really fleshed out and functional. About time they released something like this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really nice app. The avatar setup and ability to communicate with friends is really nice.

[quote name='crookshow']The xbox app is really freaking cool. I was expecting some half assed POS to be honest, but it seems really fleshed out and functional. About time they released something like this.[/QUOTE]

It would be killer if I could search the marketplace and buy stuff, adding it to my queue for later.

[quote name='Felder71']It would be killer if I could search the marketplace and buy stuff, adding it to my queue for later.[/QUOTE]

This right here definitely needs to be added! :applause:

[quote name='Felder71']It would be killer if I could search the marketplace and buy stuff, adding it to my queue for later.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brother Daz']This right here definitely needs to be added! :applause:[/QUOTE]

+2

Shocked it's not in there now. Gotta come in an update I would imagine.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']+2

Shocked it's not in there now. Gotta come in an update I would imagine.[/QUOTE]

I thought that would be the first thing they added. Instant access for all those impulse buys sounds right up M$ alley

I thought I heard they can't do that because then they need to give Apple 30% for allowing purchases from their app. It's the reason why the Kindle app no longer has a link to the Kindle store.

[quote name='GamerChris']I thought I heard they can't do that because then they need to give Apple 30% for allowing purchases from their app. It's the reason why the Kindle app no longer has a link to the Kindle store.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that sounds like a very good reason not to allow purchases. Though I am able to buy stuff from the Newegg app whenever, I'd be surprised if Apple got a cut of that. They could always have the store available and when you go to purchase it opens up a webpage in Safari to get around giving Apple any cash.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Gah! The new Xbox app requires iOS 4.3 and I have 4.2.6! Noooooo!!!![/QUOTE]

Noooooooooooooooooo

Put it on my computer's itunes...now I won't even bother syncing. :(

[quote name='GamerChris']I thought I heard they can't do that because then they need to give Apple 30% for allowing purchases from their app. It's the reason why the Kindle app no longer has a link to the Kindle store.[/QUOTE]

But that would be for content that was downloaded to the phone/tablet and used right there. I don't think Apple collects money from Amazon for buying something through their app that just gets shipped to your house. And in theory, money never has to change hands. You have the points on your account and you spend them using the app, but you don't get anything to download on the phone or anything. I'm sure there is a way around it, even if it means using Safari at some point. I expect it will happen eventually. I don't even think the WP7 app has that.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Gah! The new Xbox app requires iOS 4.3 and I have 4.2.6! Noooooo!!!![/QUOTE]
Why not just update it. Or can you not.

[quote name='vantheman']Why not just update it. Or can you not.[/QUOTE]

Well unless he meant to say 4.2.1, then there is technically no reason he can't upgrade to the 5.x iOS. 1st gen iPod and iPhone support a max of iOS 3.1.3. The 2nd gen iPod and iPhone 3G support a max of iOS 4.2.1. Everything is currently able to support the latest iOS 5.x. Oh and iPads both support the latest iOS 5.x as well.

[quote name='Tsel']So with the new XBL app, a Windows Phone is virtually useless, correct? :lol:[/QUOTE]

A Windows 7/7.5 Phone was always "virtually useless." Friends don't let friends metro.

Scribblenauts got a holiday update. Christmas level, Christmas music, and the icon has changed so that Maxwell is wearing a Santa hat.

The update also adds dictation support for 4S, and something about rotation.

[quote name='Tsel']So with the new XBL app, a Windows Phone is virtually useless, correct? :lol:[/QUOTE]

The Windows phone can control the xbox dash. This is simply just an app version of xbox.com without the marketplace. It is still a nice app though and very clean looking. Time to delete that crap 360 live app (that I paid for too!).

[quote name='BREVITY']Spell Tower is out today as a universal. This game was awesome on iPad and now you get it on the iPhone. Awesome game![/QUOTE]
For those that are interested in this game. It's $1.99 in the App Store.

[quote name='BREVITY']Spell Tower is out today as a universal. This game was awesome on iPad and now you get it on the iPhone. Awesome game![/QUOTE]

i love this game, I think the best word game on iOS. Thanks for the heads up on the universal update, I didnt know about it.

Aside from the curious missing marketplace (no, I don't think Apple gets a cut of anything because nothing is being downloaded to the iOS device), the other thing that's missing in the Xbox app is the ability to listen to (and send) voice messages. I sent my son a message (text) and he responded with voice, and all it does is says it can't load the message. I hope they'll add least at listening to voice messages, and ideally sending them too. Still, it's a very nice app to have.

Also I'm in for free Jaggy Race - I'd heard that was a fun game, so I'm glad to see it go free! Thanks!

[quote name='crunchewy']Aside from the curious missing marketplace (no, I don't think Apple gets a cut of anything because nothing is being downloaded to the iOS device), the other thing that's missing in the Xbox app is the ability to listen to (and send) voice messages.[/QUOTE]

Probably not going to happen, considering you can't send/receive voice messages from xbox.com either.

Apparently the windows phone app does have marketplace access so maybe they're holding that back as an incentive. Not really a big deal IMO since you can still buy stuff relatively easily via xbox.com on safari if you were in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back