iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of plagiarism, Chillingo just released a game called Spider Jack. It looks very VERY similar to Cut the Rope. I mean, it uses the same three-star mechanic. Even the same exact menu/restart buttons!

Odd thing is, Chillingo is actually the publisher of Cut the Rope. I can't wrap my head around that. I guess it's okay to compete with yourself when it's only dollar apps.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkWvhhWYXI

I don't know why it won't run on 3G or older devices, but Space Bunnies is currently available for FREE.
"THE SPACE BUNNIES NEED YOUR HELP!
Their worlds are deteriorating and there's only one place left to go... the Homeworld. Take off on an exciting adventure to help the Space Bunnies find home - but don't forget to pick up their friends along the way!
THE FINAL FURRY FRONTIER
Bounce your way through unique obstacles like asteroid belts, wormholes, galaxies and black holes. Avoid the space stickies who want nothing more than to feed on your fuel. And watch out for your natural enemy, the SPACE FOX!"

My Brute is once again being featured as the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"My Brute is a crazy, off-the-wall game of combat that gives you the chance to challenge fighters from all over the world.
You simply take on a series of challenges, gain experience, unlock new skills and crush your enemies with ever-greater speed."

Runaway UFO is the current freebie on Free App Calendar.
"Dodge and Weave through Waves of bullets while Rescue Alien Refugees. And remember More Danger, More Score!"

[quote name='mang9432']wow, that's fucking bullshit. semisecret released the source code a while back and these douche bags just put it on the app store.

shame on apple as well for approving this app.[/QUOTE]Read the reviews posted in the game description for Free Running. They took lines from reviews for Canabalt and replaced the title with Free Running!

Search Google for "is a fun diversion and sports slick, black and white pixel graphics" and you will find that line preceeded by Canabalt on IGN, but they took out Canabalt and tagged Free Running in the game's description. This is unbelievable!

Drifts HD (iPad only, sorry) has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Night is falling and the lake is quiet, except for the bubbles drifting gently in the breeze…
"Drifts HD" is a beautifully moody little mini-game that is as hard to put down as it is easy to pick up: Collect green bubbles. Avoid Purples and touch blue bubbles to turn your Greens into points. Build large clusters of bubbles to reach higher scores. That's just about all you need to know. The rest is experience."

A couple of $6.99 iPad-only games have dropped to .99:
A Witch's Curse: Princess Isabella HD
"Princess Isabella is all set to marry the love of her dreams, Prince Adam. After returning home from a trip, however, she finds that an evil curse has been placed on her castle by a mysterious witch. The curse has placed evil in every room, and turned everyone inside the castle into mirrors! Follow a fairy friend as you piece together the clues and save your friends and family in Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse, a gorgeous Hidden Object Adventure game!"

Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret HD
"A beautiful young woman wakes up in a vast and mysterious undersea temple complex, not knowing who or where she is. She soon learns that she has been frozen in a death-like slumber in a secret crypt for over a century. Now she must escape the crypt and explore the ancient underwater chambers to unravel the mystery. Use your Hidden Object and puzzle-solving skills to help Anna unlock the enchanted Royal Relics, and reveal the terrible secrets of the Empress of the Deep!"

GAMEVIL: Enjoy all the on-field action of Soccer Superstars 2011 Pro for $0.99, this WEEKEND only!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Big Fish Games' hidden object game, getting good reviews so far, Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island was released today. It's free with an IAP to unlock the full game. Through May 8th, I believe it is, the full unlock is on sale for 99 cents. I downloaded it and will check it out later. There's separate iPhone and iPad ("HD") versions. Unlocks are separate:

http://appshopper.com/games/secret-mission-the-forgotten-island
http://appshopper.com/games/secret-mission-the-forgotten-island-hd[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DtotheP']Big Fish Games' Puppetshow dropped to $1. Cool thing is, there's also a lite version with full unlock IAP that's also dropped to $1.

App Store[/QUOTE]
Thanks, looks like most or all the Big Fish games are on sale for $.99 unil the 8th.

Wow, well I just loaded up on Big Fish games and I'm not even that big of a fan of hidden object games ... but at that price, I figured it was like 5 for the price of 1 ... so yeah, picked up Puppetshow HD, Haunted Manor HD, and Amazon Hidden Expedition. Any other good Big Fish games I missed? Now if only Namco's Hidden Object game would drop ... the graphics on that one impressed me, though the name escapes me.

[quote name='DtotheP']Big Fish Games' Puppetshow dropped to $1. Cool thing is, there's also a lite version with full unlock IAP that's also dropped to $1.

App Store[/QUOTE]

God effing dammit! My wife JUST bought Puppetshow AND Witches Curse on Wednesday for $6.99 EACH and now they're $.99 each?!?! WTF?

Anyone ever had any luck getting partial refunds by contacting Apple?

[quote name='o0achilles0o']God effing dammit! My wife JUST bought Puppetshow AND Witches Curse on Wednesday for $6.99 EACH and now they're $.99 each?!?! WTF?

Anyone ever had any luck getting partial refunds by contacting Apple?[/QUOTE]

It's just the nature of the app store. If you or your wife was willing to spend 7 bucks on each of those, you or she must like the genre, so you should just look at the sale as an opportunity to get more games at a deep discount. Pretty much every big fish game is easily worth a buck for fans of hidden objects.

I believe it is possible to get a refund on a purchase, but it's usually for a mistake, you will have a very hard time getting a price adjustment.

Hmm, it just occurred to me, I wonder why Apple can't utitlize Quicktime movies for Apps on the iTunes store, rather than just screenshots. I'm not saying every app should require a video preview, but if Valve can do it on Steam, why can't Apple.

Sometimes it seems like iTunes is the counter balance to all the innovation that Apple puts into their hardware.

I'm giving away a copy of World of Goo HD today on my site. If you'd like a chance to win the game, you can check out the details HERE. This is the universal app, so you can play it on any of your iOS devices.

Bought like a dozen of those Big Fish games, pretty much every one that was rated well. I am not the biggest fan of them but my wife like so many others loves these little games.

Com2uS: [Weekend EXCLUSIVE SALE] Queen's Crown only $0.99 from May 6th to 9th!! Double your joy with this adventurous RPG game.

So far I'm enjoying Secret Mission: The Forgotten Island and it's a great game to play with my kids too. I recommend it for a buck. I'm probably going to buy all their other ones that are 99 cents. Thanks for the heads up!

I bought a bunch of the Big Fish Games. Haunted Manor seems good so far. I wish they'd consolidate their approach to selling games. The mix of paid full versions and ones that you buy via in-app unlock is confusing as hell to try to explain to my Mom in an email! :)

I bought Secret Mission - The Forgotten Island HD (yesterday), Big City Adventure: New York City HD, Haunted Manor ~ Lord of Mirrors HD, Drawn: The Painted Tower HD, Amazon: Hidden Expedition HD and Puppet Show: Mystery of Joyville HD. I should be set for hidden object games for a while. I also gifted Haunted Manor to my Mom. I'd gift her more of them but she recently complained that I was sending her too many games and she was spending too much time on them. :)

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I think the in app purchase is so you can try it and then buy it without losing your progress. I kinda like it.[/QUOTE]

I realize that and I do like it, but it's the mix of some of their games having that and some not, some having both a paid download and a free version with paid unlock. That's what's confusing to try to explain.

Pilot your virtual RC helicopter with RC Heli – Indoor Racing for FREE.
"Fly your Heli through the house as fast as you can! RC Heli is a fast and furious 3-D indoor racing helicopter game. Compare high scores with friends on Global Leaderboards and Facebook and Twitter.
The Race is On: Hunt down all the gold coins on each track. One is by the TV, the next is in the sink and the next is in the shower. Watch out for fans. They will blow your heli waaay off course.
Two Helis to choose from: 3 CH beginner Heli and a 4 CH Pro Heli.
Test your racing skills on 6 progressively challenging tracks. Qualify on one track to unlock the next."

[quote name='jimrome27']everytime I look it up on the app store "no results" :(

anyways, We Thieves HD free today http://itunes.apple.com/app/we-thieves-hd/id417710655?ign-mpt=uo=5[/QUOTE]

That's odd... I can't seem to find it either. Just use the link I posted, which should have a link to the game and it should work.

In other news pac man and ms pac man are back down to $2 this weekend. I'm tempted to buy, but pac man has been down to $1 before.

[quote name='PikaPichu']That's odd... I can't seem to find it either. Just use the link I posted, which should have a link to the game and it should work.

In other news pac man and ms pac man are back down to $2 this weekend. I'm tempted to buy, but pac man has been down to $1 before.[/QUOTE]

I went through the appshopper app and it worked.

FYI, Little Things for the ipad went on sale again for .99c. If you like Pictureka, you'll love this.

Are there any Big Fish Hidden object games that just focus on the hidden objects? These days they seem to have story, puzzles and a lot more than just good ol' fashion "here's a picture of a pile of stuff, find X." My wife really digs those games. (see above.)

[quote name='LuisRM']FYI, Little Things for the ipad went on sale again for .99c. If you like Pictureka, you'll love this.

Are there any Big Fish Hidden object games that just focus on the hidden objects? These days they seem to have story, puzzles and a lot more than just good ol' fashion "here's a picture of a pile of stuff, find X." My wife really digs those games. (see above.)[/QUOTE]

I think they all have at least puzzles mixed in. I haven't played everyone one of big fish games, but so far they all have more to them then just hidden objects. The 2 hidden expedition games are pretty much just hidden objects and puzzles, with no story. Drawn-the painted tower and nick chase are 2 I know of that are probably the furthest from just straight find the object.

Last Fish is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Last Fish is a stylish black and white action game about the survival of a tiny fish in toxic water filled with goo.
Eat food, avoid goo, escape the shadowfish. Survive."

Stroke of Midnight by Namco is on sale In-App for $2.99 this weekend

I think normally it's $5 ... I was really impressed with the production value for this hidden object game

It's free to download, so check it out and pick it up on sale if you like it. It's a big file though (500 mb) because there's animation and voice acting unlike most of the Big Fish stuff

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-stroke-of-midnight/id398111728?mt=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIKcFr_vV8

So get this, weird thing I didn't know ... the iPad version is published by Namco, but the PC version is a Big Fish game?! Go figure

[quote name='BLAZETIGER']Secret Mission: Forgotten Island HD from the Big Fish sale is coming up free instead of .99 cents.[/QUOTE]

The full game is a .99 cents in app purchase.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ipad Joystiqs on sale for $8 each(usually are $20 each). Shipping is free for non registered or $2 for registered mail. Seem to have good reviews on youtube
http://www.budgetgadgets.com/game-controller-analog-joypad-joystick-ipad-p-9334.html

Just a little heads up, I just noticed that this is not the "fling" but a Chinese knock off. So that means this is YMMV. Some of those knock offs work well others dont....[/QUOTE]

I saw that thread on SD also, was about to pull the trigger then heard their knockoffs, so I just bit the bullet and bought the Real "Fling Joystick" from Amazon for $17, reviews are great and I BELIEVE it would help me be more immerse in the gaming experience with tactile feedback.

Mechanic Panic is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Work was great, until the day the elevators stopped working.
A catastrophic explosion has rocked the world's first Space Elevator. Thankfully you're on the job!
As the fearless mechanic, jump as high as you can to save all the people in peril. The environment around you is crumbling. Beware of the many hazards that will come crashing down.
Oh and don't forget about the burning fireball of doom rising up."

Woozzle is the new FAAD main offering.
"Woozzle is puzzle-logic game for iOS devices. Lot of hours of fun, from easy levels to brain-teasing mazes with special features and amazingly balanced gameplay. All gift-wrapped in beautiful graphics. Meet Woozzle, a new world of crazy marbles. Discover and learn key principles of the game to pass each level."

Texas Hold 'em Poker is also one of the FAAD featured games right now.
"Texas Hold’em is a game of competition. It requires certain skills and a touch of luck to win. A true winner needs to be smart, observant, watchful, and patient. Texas Hold’em helps to improve all these skills as you start and keep on playing. It also sharpens your logical and strategic skills. So you wanna go Poker Shark?"

Tap the Frog HD (for iPad only) is FREE for a very limited time.
"Meet the greenest frogs ever in small but awesome speed test game! Explore bunch of addictive mini games! Achieve perfection in a race with your friends on Game Center! Also try to get all badges, yeah!
Tap The Frog is a reaction test game based on popular flash game "Click The Frog" with more than 1,000,000 people enjoyed it. Enhanced iOS version contains additional mini games and Game Center competition."

Just saw that the call of duty zombies app is going to get the addition of the black ops maps on monday. Look at for a possible accompanying price drop with that.

I have a question regarding the in app purchases of the Big Fish Games for those of you who have experience with them.

I don't have an iPad yet. I will soon. I want to pick up a couple of the games but I'm obviously not going to be in-game before the sale ends. If I purchase the $.99 version in iTunes now will I have an issue later when I pick up my iPad or do the in app purchases only matter for the "free" versions?

[quote name='Dimsdale']Tap the Frog HD (for iPad only) is FREE for a very limited time.
"Meet the greenest frogs ever in small but awesome speed test game! Explore bunch of addictive mini games! Achieve perfection in a race with your friends on Game Center! Also try to get all badges, yeah!
Tap The Frog is a reaction test game based on popular flash game "Click The Frog" with more than 1,000,000 people enjoyed it. Enhanced iOS version contains additional mini games and Game Center competition."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all those, and all the others you've alerted us to. The iPhone version of Tap The Frog is also free right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back