iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='findthedeal24']Can someone please post a direct link to Ticket to Ride in the App Store? I'm not seeing it.

So far I've:

1) found a blog post linking to the game in the New Zealand app store
2) been unable to find the game in the US app store under a keyword search
3) found the company's website with no mention of any iPad games whatsoever
4) Googled "Ticket to Ride iPad game" and was unable to find any recent posts linking to the game

You wouldn't think it would be this difficult to find a game the week it was released.[/QUOTE]

It's out in NZ now. In the US at approximately 11 PM tonight. That's why you didn't find it.

I'm somewhat tempted on Tiger Woods '11 for iPad. I have the original version (not '11) for my iPhone, but I didn't really play it much.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's out in NZ now. In the US at approximately 11 PM tonight. That's why you didn't find it. [/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='jimbach13']Tiger woods PGA 2012 just dropped to 2.99. Is it worth it?

http://appshopper.com/games/tiger-woods-pga-tour®-12-for-ipad[/QUOTE]

I played the iPhone version, but thought it was quite good. The commentary will give you nightmares and the beginning of the career mode is quite tough and not fun due to not being able to make it to the fairways on almost any shot, but stick with it and the game becomes alot easier. Though that is also my main complaint, is that it's too easy.

Pirate Subs!!! is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Pirate Subs is redefining the casual gaming experience with the new ‘tap & swipe’ mechanic!
HOW YOU DO IT:
1) Tap subs to nuke them out of the water
2) Juggle as many in the air as you can then…
3) Swipe across the screen to fire missiles at them!"

Plush Wars
is being featured on Free App Calendar and Daily App Dream right now.
"After being rejected, the PlushBalls decided to take revenge: they locked up the princess in her castle and killed all PlushBears.
But they were brought back as ZomBears to save the princess and destroy the PlushBalls. Will you let them succeed?
Help defend the castle, shooting down the gruesome yet fluffy ZomBears. Define your defense strategy using specially designed traps and ammo."

A couple of iPad-only games, Crazy Ski-Flying HD and Geared for iPad, are both currently available for FREE, too.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Is there no local multiplayer for Ticket to Ride? That really sucks if not.[/QUOTE]

Ya there is not, but there are reasons. The game has a lot of visual and audio cues that enhance the experience that they would have to do away with. For example, the cities you have to connect are marked at all times to make it easier to keep track of. Also, when you complete a destination card the game goes into an animation with sounds. If you were playing next to someone that would give away you just completed your card. I think the experience would suffer if they sacrificed these things for pass and play. The online multiplier is very well done making the lack of local multiplayer not that big of deal IMO. Of course it's loss makes no difference to me because my wife has her own iPad.

I've played about a dozen games and love it. I've had the board game for years, but have never actually played a 4 player game until now. The online ranking system is a nice touch. Unless you are constantly playing your iPad where you have no internet connection, the online multiplayer largely make up for the lack of local. If you really want to play with your friend or family locally, you should buy the board game and just play that because it is awesome.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Supermarket Mania games are FREE (no clue for how long). Both iPhone and iPad versions:

Supermarket Mania® for iPhone, drop from $2.99
Supermarket Mania® HD for iPad, drop from $4.99[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stimes']My wife says thanks.[/QUOTE]

A heads up, only Supermarket Mania 1 is really free. There is an IAP to unlock full game for SM2 so it may be the old switcheroo where they drop the game to free but cripple it unless you unlock it in game paying what was the full price anyway. Consider it the lite version, for SM2 at least. The first one is fully version free.

I agree that the TTR real board game is the way to go for "local multiplayer", but if you are actually riding on a train, as we will be in June, it would have been nice to be able to play a multiplayer game with kids on the iPad.

I think they could still manage pass and play. You'd have to hide the screen from your opponents (and the game could hide it during passing), but that's doable with cooperative folks, and besides that, when playing with my kids (the real game) often I'm pretty lenient about letting them in on what I'm doing anyway, and they are as well, though not intentionally. :) So I'd still like local multiplayer, but it's definitely not a deal killer.

The app is otherwise superb and may even set the bar higher then Carcassonne. Definitely worth the asking price, and definitely get all the expansions while on sale. Europe at the very least, but 1910 is a nice improvement over the base TTR. I haven't ever played Switzerland so can't comment on it, but I hear that's good too (Europe and Switzerland are stand-alone games in the real world, 1910 is a card and rule expansion to TTR).

Also, TTR is much better with more people. If you've never played with more then 2 people, I weep for you. :)

Well not to mention while knowing your partners routes takes some challenge out of the game it does not 100% kill it. We have played with destination tickets visible before when teaching the game to new people and while it is not as good its still enjoyable.

Anyways different subject, I really hate when developers list trial versions of games as the full version and then make you unlock the full version in game. I just downloaded that Super Market Mania 2 and they pull that crap, its listed as free...but in reality its $7!

[quote name='crunchewy']
I think they could still manage pass and play. You'd have to hide the screen from your opponents (and the game could hide it during passing), but that's doable with cooperative folks, and besides that, when playing with my kids (the real game) often I'm pretty lenient about letting them in on what I'm doing anyway, and they are as well, though not intentionally. :) So I'd still like local multiplayer, but it's definitely not a deal killer.
[/QUOTE]

They definitely could make some form of pass and play, but I hope they don't change the current online version to accommodate it. The other thing about pass and play is in an ordinary game with a board, you spend time thinking about your next move and looking at your cards while the other person takes their turn. With pass and play you couldn't do that and i think it would really hurt the flow of the game. I guess it couldn't hurt for them to add the mode, I just don't think it will be very fun.

Ya, and I have lots of great board games that I know would be much better with multiple people, but I am lucky to just to get my wife to play with me and my kids are too young. These ipad versions are opening up a whole new experience for me.

Where the hell is the DLC for TTR at? I would think the Candy store or the brochure lady but while I see the Xpacks listed and can find rules and info I cant find a purchase button anywhere.

I did the same thing. I thought that was the version that was on sale for free. It's actually the original, Supermarket Mania (1) that's on sale for free. The description of SMM2 does say that you unlock the full game in-app, though, and right near the top. They aren't hiding anything.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Where the hell is the DLC for TTR at? I would think the Candy store or the brochure lady but while I see the Xpacks listed and can find rules and info I cant find a purchase button anywhere.[/QUOTE]

When selecting which game to play, select one of the DLC ones and the Buy button then shows up.

[quote name='realkilla789']Final Fantasy Tactics finally has a definitive release window. The game is coming out late june or july. They are trying really hard for June though since July isn't spring.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/squa...ons-for-iphone-release-date/10150190079621301[/QUOTE]

I want to be excited about this but
1. Its for the Iphone only, no Ipad version.
2. Square will charge an arm and a leg! I guarantee you this will be $12-$20 even though its an iphone game...and a game thats been released on like 10 other systems at this point.

Id have been all in for an Ipad version at $10...but I just cant get behind another overpriced Square game and for the Iphone at that..

iPad is coming shortly after with redrawn sprites(at least in the artwork from the pic they provided)

224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpeg

[quote name='MSI Magus']I want to be excited about this but
1. Its for the Iphone only, no Ipad version.
2. Square will charge an arm and a leg! I guarantee you this will be $12-$20 even though its an iphone game...and a game thats been released on like 10 other systems at this point.

Id have been all in for an Ipad version at $10...but I just cant get behind another overpriced Square game and for the Iphone at that..[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's only been released on the PS1 and PSP.

What I'm more concerned about is the iPhone version getting the "updated" artwork that the iPad version is.

@jack - Ah good to know. I did not hear that. I bet its hella overpriced though. Ill bet it costs $20ish. Its not that I am opposed to paying more for IOS games either, its that its not an origional game . Id pay $20-$30 for an Ipad game...but it needs to be an origional release of similar quality.

@topplehat - 10 was an obvious exaggeration but it has been re released on the PS3, PSX and PSP(was thinking one other system but I think im wrong on that). I just do not think they can justify charging the price for these older rerleases as they did with SoM and FF3.

[quote name='MSI Magus']@jack - Ah good to know. I did not hear that. I bet its hella overpriced though. Ill bet it costs $20ish. Its not that I am opposed to paying more for IOS games either, its that its not an origional game . Id pay $20-$30 for an Ipad game...but it needs to be an origional release of similar quality.

@topplehat - 10 was an obvious exaggeration but it has been re released on the PS3, PSX and PSP(was thinking one other system but I think im wrong on that). I just do not think they can justify charging the price for these older rerleases as they did with SoM and FF3.[/QUOTE]

FFT is the type of game that you can dump 100's of hours into. How many titles at a cheaper price can promise that?

I'll probably pick up tactics day one and FF3 at whatever sale price they come up with at the tactics launch, hoping for under $10 for FF3. As a heads up for those that might not be aware, Square always has a sale of all older games with the release of a new premium title. They usually chop the old games by 50%, though I doubt FF3 will be $8, $10 would be my guess.

So any other TTR impressions now that it's out? I saw the actual game in a store today for $50, so I guess the iPad version is quite a deal

FINALLY. So happy about FFT. I own just about every iteration of the game (and multiple PS1 copies)... I'm really hoping this comes out for $15 or less though. Just like punkmag, I don't really wanna spend a bunch on ANOTHER copy of FFT.

Platform Hell Pro is among the new FAAD games.
"A retro style platform game containing level after level after level. Is that your idea of platform heaven or your idea of Platform Hell!
★ DESCRIPTION ★
Use your skill and ability to collect diamonds and dodge monsters. Collect all the diamonds to unlock the exit door which will take you to the next level. Complete the level without losing energy to gain a medal. Beat the target time to win a gold medal. Complete all levels to finish the game."

Pro Football Touchdown Hero is another FAAD title right now.
"Be the world's best receiver in Pro Football Touchdown Hero! How many Touchdowns can you score?
Pro Football Touchdown Hero is an incredibly addictive football game. Catch the ball to score!
Use your finger to move the gloves. You’ll need great hand eye-coordination and quick reactions to ensure you catch every ball.
Catch in style to earn more points, with SUPER, MEGA and ULTRA catches!
You've got three lives to get the biggest score possible, it starts easy but gets harder!"

Magic Piano is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Inspired by international piano superstar Lang Lang, Magic Piano makes you a piano prodigy. Play your favorite songs with your own spin and sound great every time. You control the notes, rhythm and tempo of each piece while Magic Piano serves as your guide.
THE COOLEST KEYBOARD AROUND
Experience three magical keyboards: circular, spiral and traditional. Switch back and forth easily and drag your finger to scroll up and down the keyboard. Make the keys larger or smaller by pinching your screen or remove the keys entirely and play your favorite songs by following beams of light."

It looks like Chaos Rings iPad was $5 for a little while but is now back to $16. Though, on the 'search results' page it still shows $5. What happens if you buy it on the 'search results' page for $5 if it is really $16?

Edit: The Chaos Rings Omega page hints that Chaos Rings iPad will be $5 until May 27, so I bet it'll drop again real soon.

Edit 2: Chaos Rings iPad is back down to $5.

Heard the original Chaos Rings for iPad isn't really optimized for the larger screen ... wonder if Omega is better looking than the original?

Don't really want to drop the $14 to find out ...

Oh ... the Infinity Blade multiplayer update is live, btw

[quote name='roninld']Infinity Blade is on sale as well for $2.99.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Picked this up and this game is freaking insane on the iPad 2. I saw that this is the lowest price the game has ever dropped since the release of the app last year so I might as well bite. Been wanting this game since I got the iPad 2 too.

So far its pretty fun. Kinda hard to parry.

[quote name='rockx4']Kind of annoying that SE releases 2 versions of all their games iOS games...[/QUOTE]

SE = $$

It's pretty obvious they stopped caring about their customers several years ago ... right around the time of the merger. Since then, most of their games have been rehashes of previously successful titles and a smattering of new releases with only a handful actually being of the same caliber that either Square or Enix put out prior to their merger.

So yeah ... they don't release universal versions because it means more revenue, simple as that.

[quote name='DtotheP']Chaos Rings Omega??? Did you guys know anything about this?

Oh well look at that, Chaos Rings is $4 in celebration.

App Store[/QUOTE]

Chaos rings looks cool, but is it worth 5 bucks? I have a pretty big backlog of games building up, but was thinking of picking this up.

[quote name='rockx4']Kind of annoying that SE releases 2 versions of all their games iOS games...[/QUOTE]

Also kind of annoying that they do not even take the time to use Game Center. I mean come on if your going to charge such outrageous prices for your game you can at least add achievements and the abilty to compare things with friends.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, the 99c DLC is a one week intro price. I don't know what it will go up to, but all but 1910 are completely separate games in the real world (1910 uses the original TTR map, and just has new cards and some rules variants), so I wouldn't be surprised if the price for those goes up a lot higher the 99c. The sale is effectively now (well, tonight). Also, and unlike the Xbox version, this game ties in with the real, existing, and highly trafficked game servers, it's not separate like on the Xbox, and as a result you'll never have trouble getting online games going.[/QUOTE]

I caved and bought TTR last night along with the European and 1910 expansions. Passed on the Swiss one since it looked kind of boring and I should be plenty to play with the other two expansions. Pass and play would be great, in the meantime I will try to get my wife to pick it up for her iPad.

[quote name='GrafixGuerilla']I caved and bought TTR last night along with the European and 1910 expansions. Passed on the Swiss one since it looked kind of boring and I should be plenty to play with the other two expansions. Pass and play would be great, in the meantime I will try to get my wife to pick it up for her iPad.[/QUOTE]

If you have multiple devices in the house why not just put your account on her ipad? You can have more than one account on an iPad and it works great. Your account can be on up to 5 mobile devices. It saves a lot of money in situations just like this.

[quote name='pROvIs']If you have multiple devices in the house why not just put your account on her ipad? You can have more than one account on an iPad and it works great. Your account can be on up to 5 mobile devices. It saves a lot of money in situations just like this.[/QUOTE]

And, FYI, DLC also transfers, though it may say "Buy" and if you click it will act like it's going to charge you, but then it will say that you already purchased it and the download is free.

I'd get Switzerland too. For 99 cents I don't think you can go wrong. I haven't tried Switzerland yet, but I've played Europe and that's great. I'm pretty sure that a friend told me that Switzerland is good. Note that it's a 2 to 3 player version of the game. The map is smaller as a result.

[quote name='keithp']In for Infinity Blade. $2.99 was impulse buy territory! Debating on Chaos Rings...opinions?...[/QUOTE]

Infinity Blade was worth it at $5.99 and is a great deal at $2.99. The only complaints I have is that it gets repetitive and is a bit "Grindy." After I beat Zero Mech, I couldn't stomach the thought of starting over with New Game+ just to face the same enemies but harder and to level up further.

Because they know you need yet another match-3 puzzler, Thor Jewels Hades Edition is FREE through the weekend.
"Thor J.™ is an innovative puzzle game that perfectly balances match-3 and dropping blocks concept, creating an unique gameplay experience that will keep you entertained for hours to come. Thor J.™ presents you a simple and addictive game format that's both easy to learn and hard to master. Its pick-up-and-play experience can be enjoyed by people from almost any age group or skill level."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back