iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lunasicc']Plants Vs Zombies HD for iPad is on sale for $1.99. IMO the best tower defense game out there for iOS period[/QUOTE]

For me, it's not only the best td on iOS, but the best td period. It rarely goes on sale, so anyone that likes the genre should pick it up.

[quote name='lunasicc']Plants Vs Zombies HD for iPad is on sale for $1.99. IMO the best tower defense game out there for iOS period[/QUOTE]
Currently being modified. Please tell me that's to adjust the price down and not back up again. Looks like Memorial Day weekend is going to be chock-full of TD goodness . . .

In other news, Marine Sharpshooter is the new main FAAD game.
"You are a Marine Sharpshooter, a member of an elite American military force waging a silent war against terror across the globe. Dropped behind enemy lines, you must uncover and dismantle an elaborate terrorist plot to launch a series of coordinated attacks around the world. Your mission will take you from hidden outposts in desert cities to full scale military bases. Make every shot count, your country and the free world is depending on you. Remember your mantra: "One shot, one kill.""

Ring Theory
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"You've never seen a match 3 game like this! Rotate any circle to match 3 or more colors. Spin your way through unique boards. Trigger explosions, massive chain reactions, and other delightful surprises, all while competing with your friends for the highest score. Different modes let you race the clock or play leisurely for high scores, depending on your mood."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Currently being modified. Please tell me that's to adjust the price down and not back up again. Looks like Memorial Day weekend is going to be chock-full of TD goodness . . .[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting to grab it also. I passed on the last sale and I regret that I did. This time is a no brainer.

[quote name='lunasicc']Thanks. Another great TD game. Definitely getting this.

Whats with all these TD games going on sale this week?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's because com2us td just came out, the game that actually possesses the trademark for the phrase tower defense.

046496.png

Fragger

Fragger is free for the weekend, I find it to be a much more enjoyable alternative to angry birds. If you haven't picked it up yet, I highly recommend it for the perfect price of free! The game has seen a stream of content updates that makes this one even worth paying the 99. cents for.

641994.png

Gravity Hook HD

Free for the weekend as well, I really enjoyed this gravity based hook climbing game from the makers of canabalt. kind of tricky to get the hang of, but once it clicks, its quite fun. (Note App shopper doesn't seem to be listing the price drop, but it is free in the app store)

670577.png

Camera+

For those who haven't gotten this one yet, on sale for 99 cents till the end of tomorrow. For those who have, this or hipstamatic?

370879.png

NBA Jam

Down to 99 cents for memorial day weekend.

slide-to-play_288px.png

Several other EA games have gone on sale for memorial day weekend so head over to SlidetoPlay for more info

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Poor2More']Super Stickman Golf (Iphone & Ipad) --Free for a limited time--

I stumbled upon this game and damn its addicting (I dont even like golf). Its all about physics here, and its damn good at that.[/QUOTE]

+1 this game is awesome. simple to play, but very challenging.

[quote name='NYGIANTSFANFOREVER']Opinions on Dungeon Hunter 2?[/QUOTE]

If the iPad version were on sale for $1, I would have bit. I tried the demo and it seems like a great Diablo clone.

[quote name='PikaPichu']If the iPad version were on sale for $1, I would have bit. I tried the demo and it seems like a great Diablo clone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went and looked to see if there was a demo after I posted. I'm happy they put one out there, so at least I could try it out :D.

Also, I can highly recommend Queen's Crown while it's on sale. There are a few instances where you can buy stuff with IAP, but it's not required to enjoy the game at all.

Sweet about Dungeon Hunter 2. I've been wanting to pick it up all week but was holding out because I figured something would be on sale for the holiday.

I do wish there were a few more Gameloft titles on the list, but this is a start.

Dungeon Hunter 2 is a really great dungeon hunter clone, but it's not a game I play on iOS over a PC diablo clone. Totally recommended for on the go, though.

Dungeon Hunter 2 is awesome. Its not as good as Diablo 2 or Torchlight, but its on par with a lot of the secondary hack and slash RPGs. Lets put it this way, I liked it enough playing through the Ipad version that I just spent the buck to buy the iphone version. I felt I should support the developer for all the fun I was given playing the IPad version and I figured it nets some achievements too ;) I want to pass prairedog and her insane 1200ish achievements by year end ;)

Edit - BTW iv already bought but yet to play the Inotia games. What type of game are they exactly? I know they are listed as RPGs, but what games are they similar to?

[quote name='Blank Earth']Sweet about Dungeon Hunter 2. I've been wanting to pick it up all week but was holding out because I figured something would be on sale for the holiday.

I do wish there were a few more Gameloft titles on the list, but this is a start.[/QUOTE]

Difficulty spoilers?

It get's harder than 8 bitches in a bitch-boat near the end if you haven't done some level grinding.

See where I thought DH2 really was not that hard, at least on the Ipad. I mean I recall being pissed off when I died towards the end of the game because it was the first time I had died and it cost me the achievement for beating the game without dying. It ended up being the only time I died on my first play through and then on my replay on the harder difficulty I think I either didnt die or only died once or twice.

What class did you play? Maybe it makes a difference? Personally I played as the Rogue and then took the route that kept you a melle class.

[quote name='kklems']Any reason to gt PVZ if you have the iphone version?[/QUOTE]

The iPad version has way more mini games.

Another Doom-based FPS, Doom's Knight for the iPad is currently available for FREE.
"You’ve been punitively posted to Mars after assaulting your commanding officer, who ordered your unit to fire upon civilians. The Martian marine base acts as security for AGM corporation (AGM), a multi-planetary conglomerate, which is performing secret experiments with teleportation by creating gateways between the two moons of Mars, Phobos and Deimos.
Phobos is considered by space marines to be the dullest assignment imaginable: "with no action for eighty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' sand and watchin' flicks in the rec room." This all changes when the AGM experiments go horribly wrong.
Computer systems on Phobos malfunction, Deimos disappears entirely, and "something fragging evil" starts pouring out of the gateway, killing or possessing all AGM personnel. Responding to a frantic distress call from the overrun scientists, the Martian marine unit is quickly sent to Phobos to investigate, where you’re left to guard the hangar with only a pistol while the rest of the group proceeds inside. Over the course of the next few hours, you hear assorted garbled radio messages, gunfire, and screams, followed by silence: "Seems your buddies are dead…or WORSE…"
As the last man standing, your mission is to fight through the entire onslaught of demonic enemies by yourself in order to keep them from attacking Earth."

[quote name='8bitlover']Fragger just went free for a limited time. Sorry no link from iPhone.[/QUOTE]

posted previous page. Also any one who hasn't checked out gravity hook HD should really give it a chance, the mechanics are quite solid for .99 cents, and it comes from the developer of canabalt.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Played the heck out of PvZ on Steam. Is there any incentive in buying it again for the iPad?[/QUOTE]

Portability, achievements and the ability to multi touch are really the only big differences.

Another Universal game, Ikaros HD, has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"Use your magic wings to escape from the Greek isle of Crete! Control IKAROS (better known today as Icarus) to run and fly your way to safety while collecting treasures.
CONTROLS
★ The goal is to run and fly as far as you can without falling in the water.
★ Touch anywhere to flap your wings.
★ Hold your finger down to fly a little higher.
★ You may flap 3 times before landing.
ADVANCED
☆ Gather coins and gems to raise your Flight Meter.
☆ Fill the Flight Meter to earn a brief Speed Boost.
☆ During a Speed Boost, you may flap as much as you like."

Solomon's Keep has dropped to FREE for the first time since around Christmas.
"In Solomon's Keep, you move your wizard with one thumb, and fire magic spells with the other. As you destroy enemies, you earn experience points. Gain enough experience, and you'll gain a level, and can select new skills to help you ascend the tower.
Along the way you'll find gold and magic items. Your helpful teachers are there to explain the ins and outs of wizarding, sell you a few useful items, and even give you a few tips to improve your skills.
Along the way you'll encounter Solomon's skeletons, zombies, imps, and more. You might even encounter an undead king, and Solomon's meticulously reconstructed maggot vomiting skeletal dragon.
You'll have a chance to master 21 skills and wield over 50 magic, rare, and epic weapons.
With random dungeons and monsters, Solomon's Keep offers infinite replayability. It's never the same game twice!
If you're fond of action RPGs, Solomon's Keep will satisfy your black heart."

[quote name='8bitlover']Fragger just went free for a limited time. Sorry no link from iPhone.[/QUOTE]

In the app store, tap "tell a friend" then copy the link and post it here; that's what I do.

Solomon's Boneyard has dropped to free-

"In Solomon's Boneyard, you can play as one of seven young wizards, with over thirty skills to master. The game is a survival two-thumb shooter, where you will face wave after wave of undead hordes, while gaining levels and choosing new skills to fight with.

The game comes complete with a high score list, and an innovative perks system that will allow you to grow in power the more you play."

^Space Miner is one of my favorite iOS games. They just got GameCenter support with achievements too. I highly recommend it; at .99 it's a steal.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']^Space Miner is one of my favorite iOS games. They just got GameCenter support with achievements too. I highly recommend it; at .99 it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

I checked the store, can someone explain the differences between Space Miner Blast, Space Miner Space Ore Bust, and Space Miner HD (port from which one)? They make it so confusing.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Solomons Boneyard is a great little twin stick shooter. My only complaint with it what so ever is that the power ups and new charcters cost an insane amount of money to purchase. Pretty typical though in a lot of these free games to force you to IAP.

Gravity Hook is a lot better than anything that wears the dubious honor of "From the makers of Canabalt" has any right to be.

The Solomon games are charming but boring twin stick shooters. Worth free though.

What's the difference between Fragger Lost Cities, Fragger, and Fragger whatever else there is?

[quote name='miriamleo']I checked the store, can someone explain the differences between Space Miner Blast, Space Miner Space Ore Bust, and Space Miner HD (port from which one)? They make it so confusing.[/QUOTE]

HD ought to be a port of Space Ore Bust. Blast is a free arcade spinoff. Space Ore Bust is the main game.

And +1 for Space Miner. Good fun for an Iphone game.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Gravity Hook is a lot better than anything that wears the dubious honor of "From the makers of Canabalt" has any right to be.

The Solomon games are charming but boring twin stick shooters. Worth free though.

What's the difference between Fragger Lost Cities, Fragger, and Fragger whatever else there is?[/QUOTE]

well considering canabalt is one of the most recognizable, and possibly most popular runner games, it seemed like a distinction worth mentioning, at the very least to drum up some interest in gravity hook.FWIW though, I personally find gravity hook much more enjoyable of a game than canabalt.

Dragooo is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"We have been listening to our gamers and brings to you Dragooo 1.3 with Openfeint integration and a mini-game to add some more entertainment.
While raising, training and flying your dragon, you will unlock achievements along the way and once you have mastered the art of flying, you can challenge your friends and beat their times.
Send your dragon to sleep and play his dreams."

The puzzler Zentomino is also FREE for a limited time.
"Choose a puzzle to solve, and try to complete the shape, without overlapping any of the pieces. Zentomino will recognize when the puzzle is solved. Play for five minutes, or five hours!
Features:
- Over 200 puzzles
- Game Center achievements
- Various difficulty levels
- Hint system
- Solve puzzles in any order
- Shake your device to reset your current puzzle
- Track your progress, with a full view of all your completed puzzles
- Soothing background music by Atomicon"

[quote name='jimrome27']should I get tapper? I haven't played it before[/QUOTE]

I picked it up and I like it, but then again I also have fond memories of the arcade original. It is a slight bummer that there is no timing involved in the pour (like the original). But it's fast paced and fun. I think it's def worth a shot at $.99.

I figured I might as well throw it out here too--since you guys and gals would be the most interested--but I'm currently giving away some codes for Drawn: The Painted Tower HD (details HERE).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back