iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']I've run into the same issue on my iPad 2 ... I believe it's an optimization problem on the ipad 2, hence the lack of graphical glitches on iphones or first gen iPads. I was actually a bit worried when the graphics first started flickering because I thought something might be wrong with my iPad, but after checking the reviews, it appears to be an iPad 2 issue and the game hasn't seen an update after the launch of the iPad 2 as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

Damn, okay, well at least it's not just mine then and hopefully it'll get fixed later. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='JP']It has local wireless multiplayer. Has OpenFeint and Facebook connectivity. Plays like arcade, all though me and the D-PAD are not getting along. I'm playing on my iPad and it has a greyish border design all the way around it, if you leave settings at default. You can go to Settings and put Aspect Ratio 16:9 and it puts the game all the way to the edge of the screen. I'd personally wait until $.99 for most people. I don't necessarily regret the purchase, but probably would have like to waited until $.99.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I was thinking of just waiting for it to go on sale since it seems like Konami games go on sale every now and then plus i already own it on live.

[quote name='caltab']mecapix released today for iphone at an intro price of .99. Right now its not universal, but developer says it will be. The game is really good, its described as space invaders meets tetris. It's one of the more unique games I've played in a while. You draw tetris shapes on the bottom of the screen to shoot the falling blocks that move around. There are also a variety of power ups. Highly recommend.
http://toucharcade.com/2011/06/01/mecapix-review/
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on this cool puzzle shooter. I tried out the lite version and found it quite compelling. I'll probably download the full version tomorrow.

mecapix is pretty interesting. I don't understand how you're supposed to destroy blocks that are behind an invincible block, though, as appear in the tutorial. The game definitely gets more interesting once you start playing for real and the block shapes start moving side-to-side instead of just down. However the sounds could be a lot better. It's just music and pings, and I feel like the sound should be more like space invaders instead of the generic tune it plays. In any case I'm mulling it over. Not sure if it's a game I'd stick with, but it's certainly unique and clever and you've got to give it credit for that. Also I think it would probably play great on the iPad, once universal. probably fine at 2x now. Hmm. In any case, definitely check out the Lite version if you haven't.

Oh, and I think it's a stretch to call it a "puzzle" game. It's a space invaders type game, though the shapes are Tetris shapes and you draw shapes that get sent up the screen to destroy them.

Dungeons & Such is pretty fun. Can be addicting. I did get to a point where I found it hard to proceed and then set it aside, but I believe there've been updates since then to address that. Don't quote me on it, though. I think it's worth 99 cents.

Strike Knight HD has been released for iPad. This isn't the greatest game, but it's decent fun for a little while, and it's free (ad-supported). It's a shuffle bowling game:

http://appshopper.com/games/strike-knight-hd

EDIT: also, I'm in for free Infinight. Seems to have good reviews. Thanks for the heads up!

Office Chaos is FREE for a limited time.
"It's chaos! The feared OMGLOL virus has hit your office network - all the computers are infected, and all staff in the building have been brainwashed to hunt down and harass you, the IT guy! As the last free-thinking employee on the payroll, it's up to you to reboot your co-workers using the only method that works - knocking them out with anything you can find! Fight your way through each floor, survive the onslaught of your mindless colleagues and eliminate the virus!"

[quote name='TheRock88']Mind posting some impressions about it after you played it? Wondering what kind of MP is it and if the gameplay is exactly like the original arcade game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JP']It has local wireless multiplayer. Has OpenFeint and Facebook connectivity. Plays like arcade, all though me and the D-PAD are not getting along. I'm playing on my iPad and it has a greyish border design all the way around it, if you leave settings at default. You can go to Settings and put Aspect Ratio 16:9 and it puts the game all the way to the edge of the screen. I'd personally wait until $.99 for most people. I don't necessarily regret the purchase, but probably would have like to waited until $.99.[/QUOTE]
This was my favorite arcade game as a child so I picked it up for iOS (also have it on xbla). I'm playing on an iPad 1. I agree that the d-pad is a bit wonky but it gets the job done. The basic gameplay is untouched from the arcade version. Once you've reached a level you unlock it in the level selection screen. The default aspect ratio is 4:3 to match the original. This wastes some screen real estate but keeps the pixels looking like the old days. Switching to 16:9 completely fills the iPad screen but the picture doesn't look as nice. I keep it at 4:3. You can customize the location of buttons on the screen but cannot make them bigger. This is a shame since on the iPad I find myself missing the small attack/jump buttons every so often.

If you used to play this at the arcade then this is an instant nostalgia buy. Otherwise I would say wait for a sale (even though $2.99 is a reasonable price for a universal app arcade classic).

-Update-
Found a difference. When you lose your last life and tap to continue (like inserting another quarter) you cannot change your character like you could in the arcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='handsomepete']I loooove mercenaries mode from RE4 and 5 and I have a sneaking suspicion this would disappoint me.[/QUOTE]
Controls may be the biggest downer of this one. I'm holding out for the 3DS version :p

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm getting errors when trying to buy it. Anyone else getting that problem? It might just be my iTunes freaking out...[/QUOTE]

Error here too.

I was able to purchase it, but I didn't because it said my credit card would be charged immediately, even though the listing clearly says Free. Better not to take a chance, I think.

Still not able to get BTTF but it now says it's free until 7/31/2011 so plenty of time to pick it up. Also episode 4 is out now for iPad apparently.

[quote name='etcrane']I've run into the same issue on my iPad 2 ... I believe it's an optimization problem on the ipad 2, hence the lack of graphical glitches on iphones or first gen iPads. I was actually a bit worried when the graphics first started flickering because I thought something might be wrong with my iPad, but after checking the reviews, it appears to be an iPad 2 issue and the game hasn't seen an update after the launch of the iPad 2 as far as I can tell.[/QUOTE]

I found this info as well, looks like they are asking us to contact the game dev and point them to a Cocoas2d thread. If you read through the thread you'll come across the part where they are asking us to contact the game dev.
http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/14495/page/2

[quote name='charlescheese']Sweet, just grabbed Back to the Future for free! Nice![/QUOTE]

Your lucky as it looks like it is already back up to $7.

Edit: Looks like they are being screwy with it as it is again showing up free.

[quote name='charlescheese']Sweet, just grabbed Back to the Future for free! Nice![/QUOTE]

Dont have any iPad, only iPhone =\ but downloading it anyways so its on my account if/when I get one :D

[quote name='Owen']Your lucky as it looks like it is already back up to $7.

Edit: Looks like they are being screwy with it as it is again showing up free.[/QUOTE]

$7 again, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to get it, if I get it, I've only read bad things about it.

Edit: very screwy, shows as free now but like I said I'm going to wait.

[quote name='Stimes']$7 again, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to get it, if I get it, I've only read bad things about it.

Edit: very screwy, shows as free now but like I said I'm going to wait.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the first ep on PC but the controls were kinda wonky for me. Hoping the iPad version is better as i'm a big BTTF fan.

Planning on getting an iTouch for apps and games. I don't know whether to get an 8 or 32. I won't use it much for music (maybe only 100 at a time) and no videos whatsoever. Just apps. Would I be good with 8?

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on the BttF Episode 1 deal, gang! I already subscribe to the PC seasons, but I was curious to find out how well it runs on the iPad. I'm up to season 4 right now, and though there are some bugs and some plot holes here and there it's still an overall treat to play. AJ Locascio's "Marty McFly" is unbelievably spot-on in every possible way.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Planning on getting an iTouch for apps and games. I don't know whether to get an 8 or 32. I won't use it much for music (maybe only 100 at a time) and no videos whatsoever. Just apps. Would I be good with 8?[/QUOTE]

You'll definitely be good with 8. 100 songs is less than 1 GB of space and I have 62 apps on my phone right now totaling 1.69 GB of space.

Pig Shot is the new main FAAD game.
"Get ready for some EPIC PIG-SLINGING madness! Start launching pigs off slingshot and experience the fastest pig-rolling action you've never tried before!
Pig Shot is an incredibly addicting action game where you constantly launch your pig off slingshots before rolling it at high speed through a challenging trail that is filled with random obstacles. Collect cauliflower to accumulate gas and make your pig fart for a temporary speed boost. There are over a dozen of achievements such as 'Constipated Pig' to be unlocked in the game and you can check your standing on the Game Center/OpenFeint leaderboard. You can even send an email highscore challenge your friends."

Paper Pilots is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Paper Pilots is an exciting strategy game suitable for all ages, tricky levels, countless hours of fun, Bring laughters to you every day!
It could make you become addicted this game. You must control every paper airplane and paper crane landing safely at each school, where you can find unlimited childhood fun, brought back memories of your childhood. With upbeat music, sparkling stars, you are free to roam the playground in elementary school, let's enjoy it."

Drainworks is the featured freebie on Great App a Day.
"Splash into the world of Drainworks! 48 unique levels await you, challenging your dexterity and your puzzle-solving skills. Drainworks boasts realistic water physics, an original soundtrack, Game Center leaderboards and a host of achievements. Twist, touch and push your way through 4 distinct worlds to collect runaway water - do it quickly and without losing a drop for maximum scores. And compete with your friends for bragging rights on Game Center! Simple and intuitive enough for a child to enjoy, but deep and challenging enough for the most determined gamer."

Thanks for the heads-up on BttF Ep. 1. I'll have to keep checking on it to see if it goes back to being free. I just checked a few minutes ago and it is showing as $6.99. I think this screwy situation happened with Dead Space for iPad, where the price is jumping around between the normal price and free.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Planning on getting an iTouch for apps and games. I don't know whether to get an 8 or 32. I won't use it much for music (maybe only 100 at a time) and no videos whatsoever. Just apps. Would I be good with 8?[/QUOTE]
You should post your question here but I would go with 32GB. If you plan on downloading any of the AAA titles like Infinity Blade or the Gameloft games you can expect them to exceed .5-1 GB each. I have 18.3 GB in apps on my iPod Touch right now and 30GB of apps on my computer. Keep in mind you don't actually have 8GB or 32GB of storage, the actual amount of memory you have in an 8GB iPod Touch is around 7.1GB

Not sure if it was mentioned but Boost 2 just came out for $.99. (Formerly Boost 3D) This game is super addicting.

in the 32gb ipod touch 4g, I have around 27GB available, with about 24GB free. What takes the most space are larger games and if you download any movies from itunes, the HD versions are huge.

XMen Arcade dropped from $4.99 to $2.99 in anticipation of the new movie coming out. Didn't even know it was on iOS.

For anyone having app store issues, blame WWDC. ;)

[quote name='TheRock88']Back to the Future Episode 1 HD is currently free.

http://appshopper.com/games/back-to-the-future-ep-1-hd[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like searching for the game in the app store shows up 6.99 . However, when I was on my iPad, I went to /app store/top charts/ and found it for free on the right hand side after I chose to select "show more".

starzzle is free but every time i try to download it, there is a prompt stating it will charge my credit card. whats happening. i tried this game on xbox indie games and thought it was a nice puzzler.

[quote name='autobot']starzzle is free but every time i try to download it, there is a prompt stating it will charge my credit card. whats happening. i tried this game on xbox indie games and thought it was a nice puzzler.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it has been bouncing back and forth between free and 99 cents. Appshopper lists 5 price changes for it today so far, and 1 yesterday (the original drop to free).

I was finally able to download BTTF Ep 1 for free just now, via iTunes on my Mac. YMMV.

Also, FYI, the dev of Boost 2 is on toucharcade and offering up free promo codes for the game if you PM him. I sent a PM. Not sure if he's out of them or not. Anyway, look for the Boost 2 thread in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back