iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not off about wanting non-tilt controls. I find tilt control in racers to be disorienting, at least on the iPhone. I don't think RR2HD has anything but tilt, but I'd love to be told otherwise. (EDIT: been told otherwise by Kush - that might sell me on it!) It suspect it's not as disorienting on the iPad, though. I'd like to know if RR2 HD is worth the $7 as well. Also worth noting that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (or as I like to call it, "Hottest Party"), is on sale for $5. Which is better?

Picked up Real Racing 2 HD and can confirm that it does have non-tilt steering controls. It's a small steering wheel that you rotate similar to the Asphalt games. It's a bit wonky though and doesn't seem to offer the same level of precision as the tilt control does.

Ah, thanks Kush, crunchewy, PikaPichu! That's good to know then :) I do use tilt on some games, but it gets annoying - guess it depends on the implementation of tilt controls for the game as well as ability to adjust sensitivity, etc.

[quote name='mightymek']Anyone have any thoughts on Fight Night Champion? It got a good review on IGN. I'm thinking about maybe picking it up on sale.[/QUOTE]
If you're looking for a boxing sim, FNC is the best one I've played on the iOS so far. It definitely requires some thought and paying attention to what your opponent is doing, though. You can't just flail around (aka button mash) and expect to get very far. The tilt and swipe control scheme works pretty well, too. It makes for a nice change from the usual virtual d-pads setup. I'm a boxing fan from way back so it's fun for me to set up impossible matches (Tyson vs Ali, anyone?) and see what happens. I bought it the last time it was on sale and didn't regret it a bit. For a buck, it's a no-brainer.

Also, Namco is having a Father's Day sale. Here's the list I swiped from 148apps:

[quote name='Dimsdale']If you're looking for a boxing sim, FNC is the best one I've played on the iOS so far. It definitely requires some thought and paying attention to what your opponent is doing, though. You can't just flail around (aka button mash) and expect to get very far. The tilt and swipe control scheme works pretty well, too. It makes for a nice change from the usual virtual d-pads setup. I'm a boxing fan from way back so it's fun for me to set up impossible matches (Tyson vs Ali, anyone?) and see what happens. I bought it the last time it was on sale and didn't regret it a bit. For a buck, it's a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dims. I'll pick it up this weekend.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I cant even guess how many times i almost bought burn the rope, thanks![/QUOTE]
Ditto. Glad I procrastinated on this one, too. Thanks, FAAD!

Just a heads up, Mortal Kombat 3, which just went on sale for .99, received a huge update that added a total of 23 characters and 16 arenas. While it still may not be the best fighter on iOS, one of the main criticisms was a lack of characters and arenas, so it might be worth picking up.

I feel really dumb. Someone posted about Continuity 2 coming out on the 23rd and I even commented on it and said it looks pretty good. Last night on a different forum someone posted a reminder that it was coming out today, so all day long I have been checking this thread waiting for someone to post that it was up for download or post impressions.

I've got another week apparently.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Ditto. Glad I procrastinated on this one, too. Thanks, FAAD![/QUOTE]

Anytime! ;) I am working hard for my cheepassgamer buddies! ;) More great stuff on the way...

FAAD

GI Joyride is the featured freebie on Great App a Day.
"War is hell so it's time for some shore leave! Don't stop for anything as you blaze through enemy territory in your souped-up APC (Armoured Personel Carrier). Nothing and nobody will stand in your way to have a good time! Our dynamic level generation technology ensures a completely new experience every time you play!"

The puzzler SquareOff is being offered by Free App Calendar.
"Square-off against chance, memory, and dexterity in this challenging game that is sure to test your skill and determination. SquareOff begins with twelve deceptive tiles determined to derail you from exposing the cover-ups they hide. Each move they attempt to block your path by expanding to conceal neighboring spaces and limiting your course of action. Download SquareOff and unlock your potential to be a champion!"

The just-released (as in earlier today) ValetMania is already available for FREE.
"Valet Parking is an arcade-tactical strategy game based on the path drawing mechanic. The Player, as a Valet Parking Supervisor must manage the incoming and outgoing traffic, and avoid collision of the cars on the road and parking lot.
The goal of the game is to run profitable Valet Parking business. Each car parked on a lot generates revenue. The customers who get their car pulled out of the parking lot on time are satisfied, and tip the Player. However, there is no payment, and an insurance penalty occurs when the player demolish or scratch a car…"

Gears is great. Definitely worth the sale price, especially on the iPad 2 as it's enhanced for it. Burn the Rope HD is fun, so I picked up the iPhone version while free. The music is terrible and the sound effects (the voices) aren't much better, but at least you can turn off the music and the game seems fun. Dungeons and Such is also fun - I concur with the recommendation on that. Get it while free.

I deleted Words with Friends yesterday. It was good when it was new, but not so much any more. It pales in comparison to Scrabble, though I know it has it's following. I just don't get a lot of enjoyment out of a Scrabble clone that is limited to 2-player games. Scrabble isn't much fun with 2 players and neither is Words with Friends. Plus the real Scrabble board layout and rules are better. I'd recommend Scrabble over Words with Friends.

Meteor Blitz is the current main FAAD game.
"Meteor Blitz has hurtled into the App Store to claim its place atop the mountain of dual-thumb shooters. With responsive controls that are unparalleled in the App Store, Meteor Blitz may well rival its progenitors, Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars.
Pilot your ship through worlds that will demand the utmost in reaction time and weapon use. With a plasma gun, flamethrower, and ice cannon at your disposal, plus the unique and indispensable gravity gun, gather rings and purchase upgrades to become a formidable threat to any wandering enemy in your range.
Compete in Arcade or Survival mode for the high score on our global leaderboard that updates in-game, in realtime.
Meteor Blitz is the new, first name in top-down, dual-thumb shooters!"

Top Girl is the OpenFeint FGOTD (it's also being featured on FAAD right now).
"Are you addicted to shopping? Do you dream of being a Supermodel? Love to date guys?
Become the TOP GIRL!
Do gigs, shop, dress, go clubbing, and flirt with HOT guys!
Customize fabulous outfits and maintain a relationship with your new boyfriend! Kiss him, buy him gifts, and take him out on dates! Photos will be saved to your phone capturing the special moment!"

Hanging with Friends has dropped back down to .99. Worth it to get rid of all those annoying ad interruptions.
"The creative geniuses behind Words With Friends are pleased to bring you your next word game addiction: Hanging With Friends!
Hanging with Friends brings a brand new twist to the classic game of hangman that adds creativity, strategy and fun for all ages. Build mystery words to stump, amuse or impress your friends, but be prepared to flex those brain muscles as you decipher the words they send back to you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Street Fighter IV is 1.99 in order to celebrate the release announcement of Street Fighter IV volt.

I would probably wait for volt though if you haven't bought it yet, as that game has a ton more characters and it has WiFi battles.

[quote name='prayformojo']I recommend the egm app, really polished weekly electronic version of the egm magazine that takes advantage of the digital platform and is free.[/QUOTE]

Is that for the iPad only? Couldn't find it on the iPhone app list.

Can anyone tell me a Great card game app with RPG Elements (sorta like special character/creature cards with special rules, along the lines of Magic the Gathering type card game)?

[quote name='Infinity1911']Is that for the iPad only? Couldn't find it on the iPhone app list.[/QUOTE]

I only can find it on Ipad, luckily I have one and this application is classy, extremely well done app. Access to all the latest EGM Issues, including daily/weekly news in the VG Industry.

[quote name='Poor2More']Can anyone tell me a Great card game app with RPG Elements (sorta like special character/creature cards with special rules, along the lines of Magic the Gathering type card game)?[/QUOTE]

Shadow Era is pretty much MTG and it is free!

[quote name='ViolentLee']I like GamesRadar's app. Great guides. Using it to get all the reels in LA Noire.[/QUOTE]

That looks great for my inner achievement whore. Wish there was an ipad version though.

The gravity puzzle game Arriving is currently available for FREE.
"Challenge yourself with the amazing gravity puzzle game in Arriving!
Arriving is a recreational puzzle game. Just drag your finger across the screen. Draw lines and objects of arbitrary shape as in the real physics world. There are infinite solutions!
The Story of Ano
Ano is an unhatched dinosaur in ancient times. Unlike his brothers, he did not have the chance to enjoy the beautiful world. Luckily, he avoided the most annihilating disaster. Many years have passed, and Ano wakes up in his thick shell, but he does not have the power needed to break out. Just draw the objects by dragging your finger and help Ano to get all of the energy. Let's help him to start this incredible journey."

Maya Pyramid is one of the new FAAD titles.
"ENTERTAINING BRAIN TRAINING
Go along on an expedition, combine the right cards, and solve all puzzles to create your very own Maya Pyramid. Overgrown by lianas, the gold of the Maya has been hidden in the jungle for centuries. Now it's up to you to find your way into the secret treasure chamber.
A TRICKY SOLITAIRE CARD GAME VARIATION
Maya Pyramid is a variation of the "Pyramid" solitaire game. This variation requires you to form card pyramids by marking groups of cards which add up to 11."

Bubble Trouble!
is another one of the new FAAD games right now.
"The colored bubbles in the sky are slacking and have gone off to party. You are the only one who can straighten them out and get them back to work or else the rainbow will lose its' color!!!!
Lose yourself in the frantic non-stop action of this arcade style puzzler for the whole family!
Take on 15 different levels in mission mode and pop some serious bubbles to learn the game and compete for stars by perfecting your skills. Challenge yourself in frenzy mode to see how long you can POP in the onslaught of bubbles and claim your spot on the global rankings."

Infernus: Verse 2
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Infernus: Verse 2 begins the true saga that Verse 1 presented to the world. There is no way to understand without truly immersing yourself into the Infernus universe. After escaping from the cell, the lessons and discovery that takes place will leave you questioning everything around you. No game has taken this level of realism on a device while giving you a story unlike any other. Become part of the growing fans who are asking... what is Infernus?"

[quote name='Dimsdale']The gravity puzzle game Arriving is currently available for FREE.
"Challenge yourself with the amazing gravity puzzle game in Arriving!
Arriving is a recreational puzzle game. Just drag your finger across the screen. Draw lines and objects of arbitrary shape as in the real physics world. There are infinite solutions!
The Story of Ano
Ano is an unhatched dinosaur in ancient times. Unlike his brothers, he did not have the chance to enjoy the beautiful world. Luckily, he avoided the most annihilating disaster. Many years have passed, and Ano wakes up in his thick shell, but he does not have the power needed to break out. Just draw the objects by dragging your finger and help Ano to get all of the energy. Let's help him to start this incredible journey."

Maya Pyramid is one of the new FAAD titles.
"ENTERTAINING BRAIN TRAINING
Go along on an expedition, combine the right cards, and solve all puzzles to create your very own Maya Pyramid. Overgrown by lianas, the gold of the Maya has been hidden in the jungle for centuries. Now it's up to you to find your way into the secret treasure chamber.
A TRICKY SOLITAIRE CARD GAME VARIATION
Maya Pyramid is a variation of the "Pyramid" solitaire game. This variation requires you to form card pyramids by marking groups of cards which add up to 11."

Bubble Trouble!
is another one of the new FAAD games right now.
"The colored bubbles in the sky are slacking and have gone off to party. You are the only one who can straighten them out and get them back to work or else the rainbow will lose its' color!!!!
Lose yourself in the frantic non-stop action of this arcade style puzzler for the whole family!
Take on 15 different levels in mission mode and pop some serious bubbles to learn the game and compete for stars by perfecting your skills. Challenge yourself in frenzy mode to see how long you can POP in the onslaught of bubbles and claim your spot on the global rankings."

Infernus: Verse 2
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Infernus: Verse 2 begins the true saga that Verse 1 presented to the world. There is no way to understand without truly immersing yourself into the Infernus universe. After escaping from the cell, the lessons and discovery that takes place will leave you questioning everything around you. No game has taken this level of realism on a device while giving you a story unlike any other. Become part of the growing fans who are asking... what is Infernus?"[/QUOTE]

I just checked, Infernus 1 is free on Ipad, Infernus 1 and 2 are free for Iphone/Ipod Touch.

Capcom is having a $1 sale:
Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter and Resident Evil Mercenaries.

Can someone else link? I'm on my phone.

[quote name='DtotheP']Capcom is having a $1 sale:

Can someone else link? I'm on my phone.[/QUOTE]
Done. Thanks for the info.

Also, Dalton the Awesome! is the OpenFeint FGOTD again.
"Do you love run n' jump games or do you hate them? Whatever the case, Dalton - The Awesome is made for you! Be sure that you think twice before clicking buy this game cuz it's insanely addictive!!!
Play as Dalton on his journey to kill all of the zombies standing in his way as he achieves TRUE AWESOMENESS!"

[quote name='DtotheP']Capcom is having a $1 sale:

Can someone else link? I'm on my phone.[/QUOTE]

are any capcom games actually worth it? It seems like games that are "ported" to ios are a little ... meh. Any advice?

[quote name='Blank Earth']Tempted by RE. I've heard it's pretty bad, but I'm also a pretty big fan of the series, so maybe it'd balance out to be worth a buck.[/QUOTE]

From the screenshots it looks like you aim with the left thumbstick and I fricken hate that. Ruined mgs 2 for me, ruined re 4&5 and ruined re mobile.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Dimms is a beast at Hanging with Friends

Just sayin'[/QUOTE]

No kidding. But I can kick his ass at Disc Drivin'. ;) Hanging with Friends is fun, but they either need to get rid of 4 letter words as an option (5 minimum) or make it so that when a 4 letter word is created, you get a lot more strikes to work with. HwF seems to always end up being about guessing 4 letter words because they often seem to be harder to get then longer words, even with the extra strikes.

[quote name='DtotheP']From the screenshots it looks like you aim with the left thumbstick and I fricken hate that. Ruined mgs 2 for me, ruined re 4&5 and ruined re mobile.[/QUOTE]

You are out of your mind if something as small as that ruined RE4. That game has gone down as not just one of the best games of last gen but one of the best ever and for damn good reason.

[quote name='handsomepete']are any capcom games actually worth it? It seems like games that are "ported" to ios are a little ... meh. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jacknicklson']Street Fighter is fantastic, dead rising is garbage and devil may cry is pretty good for a buck, havent tried mercs[/QUOTE]

I hear that Street Fighter is really good for an iOS title but as someone mentioned a few pages back, Capcom's planning to release another version (Street Fighter Volt) soon with more characters and online play. I just hope that they see fit to release an hd version for the iPad.

[quote name='MSI Magus']You are out of your mind if something as small as that ruined RE4. That game has gone down as not just one of the best games of last gen but one of the best ever and for damn good reason.[/QUOTE]

I am out of my mind; I have it for ps2, wii and iPhone. Never got used to it haha.

[quote name='PikaPichu']I hear that Street Fighter is really good for an iOS title but as someone mentioned a few pages back, Capcom's planning to release another version soon with more characters and online play.[/QUOTE]
SFIV is iOS street brawlin' nirvana. Even the head-to-head multiplayer works well. At least on Bluetooth it rocks. Wi-Fi was unplayably slow and unresponsive. Hopefully, that's been addressed since the last time I tried a 2-person match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back