iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='punkmaggit']Bought Deathsmiles in the hopes that sooner or later they'll make it universal (hey, I can dream can't I?)[/QUOTE]
The other Cave shooters on iOS are also iPhone only so don't hold your breath. I bought Deathsmiles and it plays great on the iPad at 2x. Just change the screen size to "large" and if you're right-handed change the control layout to type-b.

Hot Spring Story is $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/hot-springs-story
mzl.pniydziy.320x480-75.jpg

How is this compare to Game Dev?

[quote name='keithp']I can highly recommend this one! I got it a while back and it's the closest to Oblivion you'll find on IOS. It's alot of fun and has a huge world to explore.[/QUOTE]

Do games like these go on sale a lot? Also, it's it a longer game? With lots of stuff to do? You said it was pretty large. Is it filled with stuff to do or find?

Just got a notification from appshopper saying that Hot Springs Story has dropped to $.99!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hot-springs-story/id408854559?mt=8

EDIT: Just saw that Shimrra beat me to it. My bad.
To answer your question Shimrra, it's a little more complex than Game Dev Story. You don't hire anyone in this, you just build rooms. You can also invest in things to unlock more rooms and decorations. Different combination of rooms and decorations result in changing the room. For instance, putting a hot spring next to 3 stones makes it a spa or something. Also, you can get different customers (through investments again) and these customers level up. As a result of the level up, they will pay you more money to stay in your hotel. It's still just as addicting as GDS.

[quote name='SadExchange82']Do games like these go on sale a lot? Also, it's it a longer game? With lots of stuff to do? You said it was pretty large. Is it filled with stuff to do or find?[/QUOTE]

If you look at the appshopper page, you can see all pricing history

Thanks for the heads up on Aralon. I've been wanting to buy that, and I am going to now that it's on sale. I'm also getting Evil Dead. I hope it's good.

[quote name='theironunkind']In for Deathsmiles. 1st Cave game on my Iphone4[/QUOTE]

Looks like Castlevania meets DoDonPachi.

King of Fighters looks good. I will be waiting for it to hit $1.99 or less though.
I'd like to get Deathsmiles. I don't have any of the good SHMUPS yet that are out on iOS. And at the price they want for them, I probably won't ever buy any. Oh well...

Least I can play Deathsmiles on my Xbox.

[quote name='SadExchange82']Do games like these go on sale a lot? Also, it's it a longer game? With lots of stuff to do? You said it was pretty large. Is it filled with stuff to do or find?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the dev claims 30+ hours and I believe them. I've feel like I've only scratched the surface at about 10 hours just doing quests, levelling, exploring and generally goofing around. There's also guilds to join which I haven't tried yet. This is the cheapest it's ever been. I picked it up in May the last time it was $4.99.

I enjoyed Game Dev Story but I am going to pass on Hot Springs Story. I think the best part about GDS for me is it's about making video games, witch is fun because I love video games.

Dark Nebula: Episode 1
149690.png

"The best way to sum this game up is that it's like a labyrinth game but on steroids. Just tilt the device to move your character through the levels while avoiding traps, opening doors, bouncing, sliding and not falling off."

Dropped to free today, great game. Like super monkeyball or labyrinth, only much more adventure based. Great graphics, music, and tight control make this one a must download if you don't already have it. Any one care to chime in on episode 2?

Been eyeing DeathSmiles for xbox for awhile, but never wanted to spend what they were asking. Wouldn't have played it a ton anyway, but I've been playing it and it's perfect for when I have a free minute on the iPhone. In for $5.

[quote name='DtotheP']Did we mention Power Rangers is free right now?[/QUOTE]

Erm... Which power rangers? Samurai smash? I'm hoping for something like the beat 'em up versions on the snes.

there's a Power Rangers game???? I must get this NOW.

Oh and Deathsmiles is solid and all but god damn is the iphone mode hard. Well chapter 4 anyway I died on the last boss at mid health, I think it was because I wasnt moving and someone hit me with a black hole like attack. Still, this plays really smooth. I'll try and grab my last cheesements in the 360 version and sell it.

Another game I'm glad I waited on has gone free! At this rate, all the games I've been itching to jump on will be free! It's been 4 GREAT commuter games dropping to free in the past week or so, starting with Mr. Ninja, Robo Surf, Third Blade, and now 6th Planet. :razz: :applause:

6th Planet - http://itunes.apple.com/app/6th-planet/id420388344?mt=8

**the buttons say "FREE" but it looks like it's still being modified because it pops up with a "Are you sure you want to purchase this app?" notice still**

-edit-

Make that FIVE GREAT commuting games now! Shadow Run (both iPhone and iPad versions) just dropped to free as well! Man I'm ready for the weekend now. :lol:

iPhone/iPod - http://itunes.apple.com/app/shadow-run/id416896759?mt=8
iPad - http://itunes.apple.com/app/shadow-run-hd/id417089216?mt=8

[quote name='jjz203']Shadow Run (both iPhone and iPad versions) just dropped to free as well! [/QUOTE]

When I read the name Shadow Run I thought it would be the SNES version.
shadowrun-screenshot-002.png

A man can dream...

Game Dev Story was very fun, but I didn't get the same fulfillment from Hot Springs Story. Like someone else said, I think it was because I liked the idea of managing a video game company but not the idea of managing a hotel. Just my personal opinion though.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Game Dev Story was very fun, but I didn't get the same fulfillment from Hot Springs Story. Like someone else said, I think it was because I liked the idea of managing a video game company but not the idea of managing a hotel. Just my personal opinion though.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there there are plenty of people in the world who think the reverse and would never touch a game about running a game company.

[quote name='XClaude']Erm... Which power rangers? Samurai smash? I'm hoping for something like the beat 'em up versions on the snes.[/QUOTE]

Yep Samurai Smash. Not bad for free but it feels like a cheap flash game and is not as fun as the SNES games.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Game Dev Story was very fun, but I didn't get the same fulfillment from Hot Springs Story. Like someone else said, I think it was because I liked the idea of managing a video game company but not the idea of managing a hotel. Just my personal opinion though.[/QUOTE]

I agree many people like the idea of running a game company better but Game Dev Story is still a very basic game compared to their 2 newer games. It's still tons of fun to play but is more repetitive and has less to do.

[quote name='Shimrra']When I read the name Shadow Run I thought it would be the SNES version.
shadowrun-screenshot-002.png

A man can dream...[/QUOTE]

Now that would have been kick-butt... I LOVED that game (both the SNES and P&P versions)...

[quote name='jjz203']Another game I'm glad I waited on has gone free! At this rate, all the games I've been itching to jump on will be free! It's been 4 GREAT commuter games dropping to free in the past week or so, starting with Mr. Ninja, Robo Surf, Third Blade, and now 6th Planet. :razz: :applause:

6th Planet - http://itunes.apple.com/app/6th-planet/id420388344?mt=8

**the buttons say "FREE" but it looks like it's still being modified because it pops up with a "Are you sure you want to purchase this app?" notice still**[/QUOTE]

I'm getting a little annoyed. This app has shown "FREE" since this morning and it's still showing "FREE" but you can't buy it because it's STILL being modified. I have to go home soon and will be running around all weekend so if I don't download it now, I may miss this. I have never seen a modification go on this long, but I really hope they figure it out soon since I don't want to download this ota because it's over 150meg. Anyone else able to download this yet?

[quote name='jjz203']I'm getting a little annoyed. This app has shown "FREE" since this morning and it's still showing "FREE" but you can't buy it because it's STILL being modified. I have to go home soon and will be running around all weekend so if I don't download it now, I may miss this. I have never seen a modification go on this long, but I really hope they figure it out soon since I don't want to download this ota because it's over 150meg. Anyone else able to download this yet?[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I downloaded it without any problems about 3 hours ago. Probably not what you want to hear, though.

If you're able to download it OTA, you could always kick it off to get it for free, cancel the download, and then redownload it later.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I was able to download it as soon as you posted it earlier[/QUOTE]

:bomb: That sucks, I've been trying to download it all day and iTunes keeps giving me the stupid "...is currently being modified..." message. So stupid.

Well to top off a strange Friday, ANOTHER game on my wanted list dropped to free! And this one I was able to download. :razz: Touch Racing Nitro

http://itunes.apple.com/app/touch-racing-nitro-ghost-challenge!/id363548886?mt=8

Enjoy and have a great weekend everyone! And hopefully I can dl 6th planet... :wall:

-edit- I was finally able to dl 6th planet!!! I just did an ota app store purchase and it worked! I think it was my iTunes at work acting weird. It is going to be a great weekend.

In for Deathsmiles at the intro price. I'm mulling over the iPad version of Dungeon Saga, but might just stick with the iPhone version that I already have. I like the game, but not sure I like it enough to get both.

I regret paying for 6th Planet. It was quality, but the story had a great build up and got exciting and then ended on a stupid cliffhanger. No more sour a taste than such a betrayal of expectations.

Also who trains an OBVIOUSLY EVIL monkey for a space program? Honestly.

Deathsmiles is great and plays great on the iPad. Pixely, of course, but plays better (well, most likely - I didn't try it on my iPhone yet, but their other games are better on the iPad). The iPhone mode is fun with collecting gold and buying upgrades (game money, not real) and sometimes getting treasure in-game. It's all I've played so far. I unlocked Normal mode, but haven't come close to beating that yet. Interesting thing about the store is that it seems to go on the net to get what items are available, or at least that's what looks like what is happening. It says "Connecting..." as it loads the store, so perhaps they will make new items available that way in the future. I'm not sure what it does when you have no Internet connection. FYI, some of those question mark items become available when playing in Normal mode. I presume there is a Hard mode to unlock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back