iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the fact that FFT is 15.99, I'm so tempted to get it. Trying to hold off for the iPad version. I forget, but that one's just for the iPad right? Not universal?

Also, to answer some questions about the Incredible Machine - Yes, it's not really like the original PC game. They say the original levels are paid dlc. Also, you do actually get to place the pieces. There are stars to collect, but you still have to figure out how to complete the goal. For free, it's definitely worth checking out. I just remember playing games like these when I was little and I definitely love it.

Square's sales on the other games are worse then they usually are. I was going to pick up Secret of Mana, but 6.99 is still a bit high when it's been 3.99 in the past. They didn't even bother to drop Final Fantasy III (which is what I was really hoping for...), although maybe the app store hasn't updated that for me yet. I dunno...

Also, will Ticket to Ride ever go on sale? I've never played the game but heard lots of good buzz about it. I'd like to try it but don't want to spend $7 on an app I'll play once and never touch again.

[quote name='miqspot']Also, will Ticket to Ride ever go on sale? I've never played the game but heard lots of good buzz about it. I'd like to try it but don't want to spend $7 on an app I'll play once and never touch again.[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying it day one since the extra tracks were on sale. Honestly I haven't played it much at all. I will get back to it though. They've updated it and it is very true to the board game. As for a price drop, it will drop the day after you buy it at full price. ;)

Ticket to Ride is about the ONLY thing I play on my ipad anymore. My daughter (5 years old) is learning how to play it with me and loves picking out the cards to put down on the board. I'd highly recommend it.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Ticket to Ride is about the ONLY thing I play on my ipad anymore. My daughter (5 years old) is learning how to play it with me and loves picking out the cards to put down on the board. I'd highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Does the app teach you how to play the game?

Ticket to Ride is great, but I feel for you, not having bought all the expansions while they were on sale. It doesn't have an interactive tutorial, but it does have a tutorial video. Actually it looks like it's just on youtube and there's a link to it in the app, so I think you'll need an internet connection to view it. I had never watched it as I already knew how to play. The game isn't too compicated, though. I think a video should probably do fine. The rest is just a matter of playing it and learning as you go. There is both a tutorial video specifically for the iPad verison and antother for the board game version. Also, of course, there are written rules for the game and for the variants within the app. If you only one of the add-ons, get Europe. It's a great version of the game.

Also, FYI, Ticket to Ride (and Puerto Rico, incidentally), have live-only online, not asynch. I think that's the right choice for both of these games, but I'm sure some won't like it. Both games will substitute an AI player if anyone drops out, which is a good way to handle it. I haven't tried Puerto Rico yet, but TTR has a great online community and I only occasionally see anyone drop out.

EDIT: I'll add: buy the expansions if you like the base game, because even at full price there are a drop dead bargain. Europe is a standalone game, for one, and the real game costs as much as the original. The DLC price for it is ridiculously cheap. And the 1910 expansion is very nice, though it's a card set and new rules variants, so you can hold off on that until you get your fill of the original. I haven't played the other version of the game that's available yet, but it's a stand-alone too, so also dirt cheap.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Wolfenstien 3d was also updated and is .99. How well do these games play on the ipad/ipod?[/QUOTE]

Wolfenstein has multiple control schemes, and its really good overall.

The only (possible) bad thing about it is as far as i know, there is no save/load feature in this version for when you mess up. It saves when you get out of the app and resumes you from there, so if you die you have to start the level over with just the pistol (but the cheat for all items / invincibility is easy to do though if you feel like it or are struggling)

I don't remember if the original wolfenstein did, but now there is a map like doom has so the last 3 chapters aren't as frustrating. Also, treasures give 1% health now.

I was wondering. I was PRETTY sure doom classic used to be playable on 3.1.3 when i checked a long time ago, but i wasn't going to spend $7 on it. Now it's on sale and it got an update and its 3.2 and up. It was usable before on 3.1.3 right? And is there still a way for me (on 3.1.3) to play it?

I couldn't install Doom Classic on my iPod touch (3.1.3) but it runs good on my iPad. The controls are good after setting them up the way I like them in options. Doom II RPG & Wolfenstein 3d on the other hand work better on the iPod touch, the controls seem a little too sensitive playing on the iPad. I'm still wondering how Rage HD is.

Can anyone recommend FFI or FFII over the other? I think I'm gonna get one but I'm not in for both because I'm not sure how much I'd play either on my phone considering they are somewhat lengthy games. I've played both but it has been waaay too long to remember that much about them.

I thought Final Fantasy I was awesome, addictive, engaging, not too much grind, but still has grind on the high side. Nothing like some RPG I have played.

Final Fantasy II in my opinion was a snoozefest. I could not finish it. Maybe someday.

I have not played the iOS versions. Going by the GBA and PSP releases.

Quick question... I was looking at the sale for the Puzzle Agent games (0.99 and 2.99 for part 1 and 2 respectively) and noticed that the HD versions (ipad versions I assume) are smaller in MB size than their iphone "standard" versions? Is there a reason for this?

Anyway, in for PA2 at $2.99.

anyone buy cut the rope experiments last night? gamecenter doesn't seem to be working for it i'm not getting achievements for it and it doesn't show up in my gamecenter games list anyone else have this problem?

Throwing this out there, OfferedApp.com's app for today is NFS: Shift, I did it and got Hot Pursuit instead. So if anyone's interested, hit that up.

[quote name='nightmare452']Quick question... I was looking at the sale for the Puzzle Agent games (0.99 and 2.99 for part 1 and 2 respectively) and noticed that the HD versions (ipad versions I assume) are smaller in MB size than their iphone "standard" versions? Is there a reason for this?

[/QUOTE]

They might be exactly the same file with one bit different that says it's iPad or iPhone. That's a business decision, and one that some (a lot of?) devs choose to make. The option is there for them to make universal apps if they want to. "Some devs do. Some devs don't."

[waiting to see if anybody catches that reference....]

[quote name='nightmare452']Quick question... I was looking at the sale for the Puzzle Agent games (0.99 and 2.99 for part 1 and 2 respectively) and noticed that the HD versions (ipad versions I assume) are smaller in MB size than their iphone "standard" versions? Is there a reason for this?

[/QUOTE]

At first I totally misread your post, but yeah, that's weird. Maybe they applied a better compression algorithm on the iPad version and didn't get around to it on the iPhone version yet? I don't know. Weirdness.

Free app for Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

I am giving away copies of my app (Sudoku Crossword, a puzzle game that merges concepts from 'Sudoku' and from 'Crossword' fill-in puzzles). For information,

For iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sudoku-crossword-puzzle-game/id446065756
For Mac: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sudoku-crossword/id451057470?mt=12

To get a free copy, send an email to [email protected] and use subject "MacApp:" or "iOSApp:" (without quotes, but with colon).

Thanks!

- ClintonW
Log[iCL] Games

[/QUOTE]

This actually happens pretty often. I don't know why.

[quote name='HDShadow']Throwing this out there, OfferedApp.com's app for today is NFS: Shift, I did it and got Hot Pursuit instead. So if anyone's interested, hit that up.[/QUOTE]

Which offer did you do? Seems like I can't get any to work.

Iphone 4 retina resolution is higher than than of the iPad. I assume that's why. Just guessing.

Quick question... I was looking at the sale for the Puzzle Agent games (0.99 and 2.99 for part 1 and 2 respectively) and noticed that the HD versions (ipad versions I assume) are smaller in MB size than their iphone "standard" versions? Is there a reason for this?

[quote name='walletandgromice']Iphone 4 retina resolution is higher than than of the iPad. I assume that's why. Just guessing.[/QUOTE]

The pre-4 iPhones are 320x480; the iPhone4 is 640x960; the iPad is 1024x768.

However, the iPhone app (presumably) works on both iPhone4 and previous iPhones, thus it needs to support the lower resolution. They have added the higher resolution, which means they now have twice as many image files.

I just bought Rage HD for $2, somehow I knew it was going to go on sale right as I purchased it. Oh well, with all the updates the developer has been doing I don't feel bad supporting them. The video out works by the way with the iPad1 not just the iPad2. It's a fun game, it's different then I expected, not a FPS, it plays out like Dead Space Extraction (Wii,ps3) or Area 51 (arcade). I'll be sure to like it for you guys.

[quote name='Wario64']Argh, I only have an iPod Touch 2nd gen. Why does this require the later models? It looks like a simple game.[/QUOTE]

I recommend that you dowload it to your PC incase you ever upgrade your IOS device. Never thought I would ever buy an iPad and miss getting World of Goo for $.99 when it went onsale.

[quote name='autobot']I recommend that you dowload it to your PC incase you ever upgrade your IOS device. Never thought I would ever buy an iPad and miss getting World of Goo for $.99 when it went onsale.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I downloaded it from itunes. I'm planning to get the new iPhone later this year when it comes out. but still, judging by the screenshots it doesn't look like a game that would need a newer model

Square Enix's pricing for their iOS apps makes me sick to my stomach - but not as sick as the idea that some of you support them at that price.

It might be more palatable if they were universal; since they aren't, that's an additional layer of insult.

Infinity Blade is $5.99 and has generated $10 million in revenue for Chair.

Square is using their narcissism to price themselves out of the market.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Square is using their narcissism to price themselves out of the market.[/QUOTE]

Final fantasy tactics is currently the number one grossing app on the charts, I wouldn't call that pricing themselves out of the market. It's priced too high for me to bite though, especially because I have other versions of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back