iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Gemcraft is free right now. No idea how much longer it will be, but this is hands down the best Tower Defense game I've played on iPhone. If you're hesitant about spending all the time to download it and give it a shot, you can play the flash game that it's based on (pretty much the same game, just different stages) for free. The flash game also has a couple sequels, if you find Gemcraft fun and want more.

Gemcraft (flash game)
Gemcraft: Chapter 0 (prequel flash game)
Gemcraft Labyrinth (not Gemcraft 2, but a Gemcraft sequel)

Feeling unusually creative? In need of a fantastic pace changer?

"Let's create: Pottery HD"

It's on sale for $.99 down from $4.99

Highly recommend to anyone looking for a truly unique and zen-like experience.

[quote name='PlatinumIce']Gemcraft is free right now. No idea how much longer it will be, but this is hands down the best Tower Defense game I've played on iPhone. If you're hesitant about spending all the time to download it and give it a shot, you can play the flash game that it's based on (pretty much the same game, just different stages) for free. The flash game also has a couple sequels, if you find Gemcraft fun and want more.

Gemcraft (flash game)
Gemcraft: Chapter 0 (prequel flash game)
Gemcraft Labyrinth (not Gemcraft 2, but a Gemcraft sequel)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, had Gemcraft on my favorite internet time-wasters list for the longest time... Loved being able to craft different gems for interesting results. Hope this lives up to its big brother....

Well, after a week-and-a-half of vacation and general unavailability, it's nice to be back amongst the CAGed. Here are a few freebies you may or may not be interested in: The endless runner Jailbreaker (http://itunes.apple.com/app/jailbreaker/id355475522?mt=8) is the current FAAD main game. "SLIDE UNDER obstructions, JUMP OVER obstacles, and SPRINT toward FREEDOM before the COPS THROW you BACK IN THE SLAMMER!" Bubble Up (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-up/id430466055?mt=8) is also being featured on FAAD. "With Bubble Up you are going to meet JANE , a cute little girl that tries to get to new heights in her dreams. To help her, you must make her jump on soap bubbles that appear in the air. Pay close attention to the bubbles with costumes in it! These costumes give Jane small powers." SwipeTapTap (http://itunes.apple.com/app/swipetaptap/id413854807?mt=8) is the new OpenFeint FGOTD. "Push your reaction time, coordination, memory, and focus with this innovative and highly addictive game! SwipeTapTap (or STT) is a visual Simon Says game that offers 9 distinct simple gestures. If you like Bop It, you'll love STT!" Groove Pillars: All Seasons (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groove-pillars-all-seasons/id418319448?mt=8) is the latest offering on Great App a Day. "Collect precious gems, harvest juicy fruits or gather Christmas toys in this visually stunning and highly addictive puzzle game. Master your logic and strategic skills to earn much of extra score. Enjoy fun and easy yet challenging time-racing or relaxing gameplay. Groove Pillars is a highly satisfying and enjoyable action of delightful gem smashing and tasty fruit squashing! Possess and unleash the ultimate power of destruction of your inner self!" EDIT: What the heck happened to my formatting? It says HTML code is off. How do I turn it back on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds crazy enough! I just read the use reviews. People love it. I might just get it. I'd love to see a more serious Metvania game on iOS like a Shadow Complex or something.

[quote name='CaptainKishimoto']Mega Mall Story (another Kairosoft game) is out at $3.99. Hopefully their other games lower in price as a promotion.[/QUOTE]

Waiting for the eventual $0.99 price drop sale.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Sounds crazy enough! I just read the use reviews. People love it. I might just get it. I'd love to see a more serious Metvania game on iOS like a Shadow Complex or something.[/QUOTE] Although Robot Wants Kitty does follow the basics of the Metroidvania formula, it's not even worth a buck. You're better off waiting for it to go free. I haven't come across a worthwhile Metroidvania game for iOS yet.

I'm waiting for an iCade sale. But if Esglaluda II iPad is going to support the iCade, I won't be able to wait any longer. Yes, Cave is making an iPad 2 optimized version of Espgaluda II. I can't wait for that! iCade support is just a wish, though.

In the mean time... well actually I don't have anything that hasn't been reported already. I'll just add the Let's Create Pottery HD does seem fun so far, and it's way more appealing to me then Zen Bound was. So liking Zen Bound is not a requirement to your enjoyment of the game, because I didn't like that. :) I definitely recommend getting it at the sale price.

posted this earlier but there seems to be no discussion on it...
so here goes again.

do check out an iOS games giveaway by 16 indie devs called #iOSAPPALOOZA by @doomfan with @IPhoneGamerUK @iFanzine @AppsJP as well

some of the games i personally liked includes:
Requiem By Tribase Studios

Vermes on Mars By Aztlan Games

Cavorite By Cascadia Games

Parallax By Canupa

all you have to do is to come up with a tweet with the most creative use of the word #IOSAPPALOOZA and include the organizers above and your favorite indie game dev.

the iPhoneGamerUK site probably gives better info http://www.iphonegameruk.co.uk/iosappaloozagiveaway.htm

there have been random code drops so do check it out on twitter :D

(please lemme know if this violate any CAG rules, will edit my post immediately, just thought i'll share :D)

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm waiting for an iCade sale. But if Esglaluda II iPad is going to support the iCade, I won't be able to wait any longer. Yes, Cave is making an iPad 2 optimized version of Espgaluda II. I can't wait for that! iCade support is just a wish, though.
[/QUOTE]

About time. Yeah, I'd be on iCade support too, even though I have Espglaluda on Xbox. Would also love the original DoDonpachi on the iPhone while we're wishing here. :)

[quote name='lilman']Although Robot Wants Kitty does follow the basics of the Metroidvania formula, it's not even worth a buck. You're better off waiting for it to go free. I haven't come across a worthwhile Metroidvania game for iOS yet.[/QUOTE]

Grokion?

[quote name='crunchewy']Definitely modified down. They just posted about it on twitter so I think you're good. :)[/QUOTE]

Just tried downloading it, but it's prompting me "Are you sure you want to buy...". Anyone get this? Is the price going back up already?

[quote name='jjz203']Just tried downloading it, but it's prompting me "Are you sure you want to buy...". Anyone get this? Is the price going back up already?[/QUOTE]
Just downloaded it on my phone without issue. It said free, then install, then it loaded right up.

LOE worked fine for me. Thanks for the heads up, crunchewy! This is one where I tried the demo when it was .99 and was like "I don't like platformers on touchscreen." But I'll probably have a bit of fun with it.

Hey all. Just got my first ever "i" device today (Touch 4 - yes I know the 5 is coming out soon but my birthday was last month and some rumours were saying Oct. and I don't want a 3/4g data plan anyway) so I'll appreciate everything here. If I ever figure out iTunes (never used a Mac before either) I'll try to contribute.

Say What?! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/say-what-!/id447774853?mt=8) is the current FAAD main game. "Have you ever been caught out singing the wrong lyrics to a song in the car, at a gig, or in front of friends? Embarrassing right?! Play Say What?! and never forget the lyrics to your favourite songs again. Match the lyrics of the song to items on a speeding conveyor belt – it’s fast, it’s fun, and it gets your brain and your fingers moving." Magnetic Baby (http://itunes.apple.com/app/magnetic-baby/id446067271?mt=8) is today's OpenFeint FGOTD. "It's dangerous everywhere on the magnetic planet after the disaster. Play as a hero to rescue the girl in danger! To finish the rescue sucessfully, you need to overcome all the barriers, using the magnetic force and controlling the movement correctly." "

Mega Mall Story is as expected, an incredibly addictive and fun game. I am a huge Kairosoft fan though so I may be biased. Is it me or is Gameloft taking longer to drop their games down now, I've been waiting on a Rainbow Six sale for a long time now.

[quote name='jason506']Mega Mall Story is as expected, an incredibly addictive and fun game. I am a huge Kairosoft fan though so I may be biased. Is it me or is Gameloft taking longer to drop their games down now, I've been waiting on a Rainbow Six sale for a long time now.[/QUOTE]

Look how long you'd have been waiting on a Modern Combat 2 sale. With Gameloft, it depends on the game. If the game sells really well, you may never get a sale on it. If it sells poorly, you may get a $1 sale on it within a month, especially if you're near a holiday (or near what EA calls a holiday since Gameloft tries to compete with EA now on their sales holidays and EA seems to think random days are holidays). I'm not complaining, just sayin'!

As for Kairosoft, well after they were giving Mega Mall Story away for free on the Japanese iTunes store and they knocked Pocket Academy down to $1 within a week or so of release, I think I'll just wait for MMS to hit its more appropriate $1 price point. I love these games, but I really wish they'd release Game Dev Story 2 before they wear out this genre.

I think they've pretty much already worn it out, but I'm undoubtedly in the minority. If and when MMS hits $1, I'll probably buy it, though. They are like the Angry Birds folks - they get a hit on their hands and then they are too scared to stray from the formula. They'll run the formula into the ground before they move onto anything else.

Crime City is the new main FAAD game.
"THE FIRST-EVER GRAPHICAL CRIME GAME FOR IPHONE and IPOD TOUCH IS NOW LIVE IN THE APP STORE!
Become the toughest Mob Boss in Crime City!
Rise through the ranks of the mafia and take over the city! Build up your hood, do jobs, and fight other players!"

Fish Hunter — All Blue Sea
is the OpenFeint FGOTD (although the AppStore description says it's a FAAD title).
"Touch your iPhone to indicate the direction of shooting, your fish cannon will fire net to catch fish on its way. All fish within the diameter of the net will be caught and you will be rewarded with coins. Each net you fire will cost you corresponding coins, you can power up your cannon up to level 7, which to use, you decide.
There are Treasure Chests for you to discover. They are carried by those shinny fish, catch them to get more coins and even dolls! You will be able to check your game progress by watching your coins and dolls collected dropping from the top. Simply press the red button on the bottom left of the screen, and you will be surprised! Well, only if you have done well enough though."

[quote name='Darknuke']of course it is, it's awful ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'll be waiting for that one to go free:). I wonder how Defender of the Crown is though, I grew up on that game I hope they don't mess it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back