iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
My two years is almost up and I'm looking to renew so I'd appreciate some thoughts or helpful comments. Anyone have any opinions on 3G internet plans (I don't use it much but I'm afraid of going over a shitty limit)? What happens if we renew before the new iPhone comes out? Will I still be able to get it at a discount or do I absolutely have to get both of them at the same time?

[quote name='Hostile']My two years is almost up and I'm looking to renew so I'd appreciate some thoughts or helpful comments. Anyone have any opinions on 3G internet plans (I don't use it much but I'm afraid of going over a shitty limit)? What happens if we renew before the new iPhone comes out? Will I still be able to get it at a discount or do I absolutely have to get both of them at the same time?[/QUOTE]

its just a few more months, wait it out

[quote name='Hostile']My two years is almost up and I'm looking to renew so I'd appreciate some thoughts or helpful comments. Anyone have any opinions on 3G internet plans (I don't use it much but I'm afraid of going over a shitty limit)? What happens if we renew before the new iPhone comes out? Will I still be able to get it at a discount or do I absolutely have to get both of them at the same time?[/QUOTE]

You need to wait if you want the new iphone at a subsidized rate. If you buy anything now, you'll be forced to pay full price, which is anywhere between $400 to $600 depending on the model you would want. I would just hold out and coast with what you have now until September or October when they bring out what they've been working on (And it better be the iPhone 5 because if they call it the iPhone 4S or something ... well, I already played that off-cycle game once ... and still have my 3GS because of it .. grr)

[quote name='etcrane']You need to wait if you want the new iphone at a subsidized rate. If you buy anything now, you'll be forced to pay full price, which is anywhere between $400 to $600 depending on the model you would want. I would just hold out and coast with what you have now until September or October when they bring out what they've been working on (And it better be the iPhone 5 because if they call it the iPhone 4S or something ... well, I already played that off-cycle game once ... and still have my 3GS because of it .. grr)[/QUOTE]

iPhone 4 16GB is $650 off contract.
32GB is $750.

That's AT&T price; Verizon is allregedly $50 more.

Just sayin'. Your point was that it was really high, but in fact it's higher than that.

[quote name='Wiendog']Out of curiosity, has anyone picked up Anomaly Warzone Earth?[/QUOTE]

I have and it's awesome. It's a reverse tower defense. I haven't finished it yet, but if it holds up, it is one of the best iOS games I have ever played.

[quote name='XClaude']Thank you, sir! I love Frotz so far![/QUOTE]

Thanks for commenting! I deciding to pick up and try Frotz and I am loving it! Definitely get it while it's still free if you're into text-based adventure games.

Every time I see a stupid smug little bromide about "oh this game requires thought! How edgy!" I grit my teeth. Glad I'm not paying for Frotz

Then again maybe it saves them from some bad reviews from people who'd otherwise buy it thinking it was about blowing shit up, not thinking and not at all typing! Of course now that it's free, all bets are off. Go for it, tiger! Blow that shit up! ;)

No, seriously, I totally agree with you. It is obnoxious. The app is pretty cool, though, if you like text adventures.

Skies of Glory: Battle of Britain is the main FAAD game.
"Gear up for the ultimate in multiplayer air combat! SKIES OF GLORY takes you back to the groundbreaking aeronautics of World War II, set in the real life terrain of both Pacific and European theatres of war. Over land and sea, under realistic weather conditions, you and your friends can team up to defend a base, destroy enemy compounds and logistical resources, or show off your piloting skills in a full-force free-for-all.
Skies of Glory features a robust list of multiplayer options for WiFi and Bluetooth play. Host 8-player simultaneous combat over the Internet or LAN. Synch up over Bluetooth for one-on-one action. Fly the SKIES OF GLORY any time, any place!"

The Agiliste is also being featured on FAAD right now.
"Take your place alongside former industrial spy Claire Denali as she re-enters a futuristic world of murder, intrigue and danger. In a universe where you can learn skills just by plugging a chip into your skull, the decisions about just *what* skills to choose are even more critical than the gun you're packing, so look and listen, watch and learn.
Agiliste is a point and click exploration game with a**-kicking fight scenes. Experience a deep, rich storyline coupled with an easy to learn, casual style gameplay. Each major Episode update will contain a new game environment as well as a 5-7 minute video episode that leads you into the story so far."

Milk and Coffee
is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"A special play about Coffee, a cat trying by any means to get to his beloved Milk. Use various widgets and gizmos such as balloons, pins, speed boost and speed brakes to navigate the environment. Along the way pick up some coins to impress Milk even more. With five episodes totaling 100 beautifully crafted levels, the crowd is cheering with excitement as Coffee performs his stunts to get to Milk. Immerse yourself in the play that is Milk and Coffee and savour the moment when they finally come together."

Ninja Rush!
is the freebie on Free App Calendar.
"In our game, You will become a Ninja, wearing black night suits, jumping among the steps of skyscrapers, with undulating mountains and hot electric music flowing into your vein!
As time goes by, the steps comes to you faster and higher. Time your tap so that you can jump to them."

Trucks and Skulls NITRO
is once again FREE courtesy of Great App a Day.
"Demolish skull fortifications on Hell's Highway, The Haunted Wastelands, Industrial Armageddon, Demon Town, Iceopolis, and the airless wastes of the Moon! Rev up your engines to launch your trucks, then tap to make them pull stunts and EXPLODE as they crash into buildings and fortresses to destroy lurking, leering skulls. It's a heavy metal, post-apocalyptic, shovel-load of outrageous FUN!"

[quote name='caltab']I have and it's awesome. It's a reverse tower defense. I haven't finished it yet, but if it holds up, it is one of the best iOS games I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

I am on the fence. Just beat portal 2 today so I need something to do for my day off tomorrow lol.

[quote name='Wiendog'] Just beat portal 2 today so I need something to do for my day off tomorrow lol.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that ending aaaaamazing?
Sorry off topic.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Wasn't that ending aaaaamazing?
Sorry off topic.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It was actually one of my favorite video game endings. Now I'm trying to find a cheap orange box for xbox cuz I don't feel like playing it on my pc.

[quote name='Stimes']Video Stream is on sale for $.99 (not a game)
http://appshopper.com/utilities/video-stream

I have Air Video and it works well but for $.99 I might pick this up as an alteritve. I believe Dimsdale recommended it to me a while ago, do you still recommend it?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! I use Video Stream daily. It's fast, stable, and (for .99) a downright necessity. I hardly ever use Air Video or any of the other video streaming apps I've picked up over the years. Grab a copy and let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Absolutely! I use Video Stream daily. It's fast, stable, and (for .99) a downright necessity. I hardly ever use Air Video or any of the other video streaming apps I've picked up over the years. Grab a copy and let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me.[/QUOTE]

For me it works perfectly at home and I highly recommend it but it doesn't work on my school network for some reason so keep it mind if you have some crazy firewalls it may not work.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Absolutely! I use Video Stream daily. It's fast, stable, and (for .99) a downright necessity. I hardly ever use Air Video or any of the other video streaming apps I've picked up over the years. Grab a copy and let me know if it works as well for you as it does for me.[/QUOTE]

I read that it support subtitles, any comments with MKV files and such? How well does it handle 720p and/or 1080?

Can it be accessed only locally? Or it could go over the Internet like Air Video?

I picked this up, I hope it works better than Streamtome.

Any reason why you use this over Air Video?

Nyxquest is 99cents, ported from Wiiware and PC. Liked the game on the other two platforms.

Slowish platformer where you move and jump while simultaneously using magic gestures to move objects, sometimes mid jump.

Save Our Sheep HD is currently free.

It's built with the Unreal Engine and is a tower defense game. Can be played in English or Chinese..fabulous work.

[quote name='Laughing Man']Any reason why you use this over Air Video?[/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to ask. Air Video has been nothing but stellar for me.

[quote name='caltab']very solid physics puzzler, one of the best.[/QUOTE]

I just tried that out. Controls were terrible, imo.

Prefer puzzle games on my iphone like Feed Me Oil. Oh, and solid controls.

I asked this the other day, but another question added to that, anyone know any solid Metroidvania titles on iOS coming in the future?

[quote name='M_A_C']This is what I was going to ask. Air Video has been nothing but stellar for me.[/QUOTE]

They seem exactly the same. Whoever did it second totally copied.

[quote name='M_A_C']This is what I was going to ask. Air Video has been nothing but stellar for me.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between the $2.99 version and the free version of air video?

[quote name='boneless']What's the difference between the $2.99 version and the free version of air video?[/QUOTE]

"Compared to full version Air Video Free limits the number of displayed items in each folder."

I read that Video Stream support subtitles, any comments with MKV files and such? How well does it handle 720p and/or 1080?

Can it be accessed only locally? Or it could go over the Internet like Air Video?

I played with Video Stream a little last night, I used it with an original iPad, HDMI cord, and Wi-fi. I was able to play 720p and it looked sharp and played well. I only have one 1080p movie and it didn't work, maybe with an iPad 2 it would work? I'll try another 1080p one later. I played a MKV file it seemed to work fine I also played home videos, they worked as well. It works on my original iPod touch as well which is good. This is a steal at $.99 imo.

[quote name='DtotheP']Grokion?[/QUOTE]
I forgot I had that. Played it a bit the other day and it is a much better metroidvania than robot wants kitty. Grokion has gone free before (which is how I got it) so it's worth making an appshopper alert for.

This is somewhat of a tangential deal, but given that Frotz was being talked about a few posts ago, gog.com has the zork anthology for 40% off this weekend (along with all other Zork games). The data files for the games can then be transferred to Frotz and played.

[quote name='Stimes']I played with Video Stream a little last night, I used it with an original iPad, HDMI cord, and Wi-fi. I was able to play 720p and it looked sharp and played well. I only have one 1080p movie and it didn't work, maybe with an iPad 2 it would work? I'll try another 1080p one later. I played a MKV file it seemed to work fine I also played home videos, they worked as well. It works on my original iPod touch as well which is good. This is a steal at $.99 imo.[/QUOTE]

I've been using StreamToMe (temporarily not in the app store) and really like it. I bought Video Stream while on sale to compare. Both require a dedicated server. I think it StreamToMe seems to be a little more feature rich, more obvious at least for doing fancier things like changing audio streams. At $1, Video Stream is a great deal and is easy to us, it played the files I tried. I'll play with both more, but overall I think in the long run I'll be using StreamToMe.

Btw, my single 1080p file didn't play in either app on my iPad2. 720 files both played well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Milkyman']its just a few more months, wait it out[/QUOTE]

[quote name='etcrane']You need to wait if you want the new iphone at a subsidized rate. If you buy anything now, you'll be forced to pay full price, which is anywhere between $400 to $600 depending on the model you would want. I would just hold out and coast with what you have now until September or October when they bring out what they've been working on (And it better be the iPhone 5 because if they call it the iPhone 4S or something ... well, I already played that off-cycle game once ... and still have my 3GS because of it .. grr)[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks guys.

If I renew my AT&T contract will I definitely still be able to keep the unlimited data plan? I'm pretty sure the $15 plan is crap and I'm not sure if I use 2 GB or not to risk paying $5 less. I was also wondering how one transfers all data from an old iPhone to the newer one. I'm not entirely sure I'll be there when/if the new iPhone gets purchased.

[quote name='Hostile']Alright, thanks guys.

If I renew my AT&T contract will I definitely still be able to keep the unlimited data plan? I'm pretty sure the $15 plan is crap and I'm not sure if I use 2 GB or not to risk paying $5 less. I was also wondering how one transfers all data from an old iPhone to the newer one. I'm not entirely sure I'll be there when/if the new iPhone gets purchased.[/QUOTE]

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you will for sure get grandfathered in when you renew. It will stay unlimited until you make some change to your data plan, so you shouldn't have to worry.
And you could back up your old iPhone's data and whatnot on iTunes and then when you plug in the new iPhone, it'll ask if you want to create a new phone or restore with data from an old phone. Just restore with the backup you just made.

[quote name='wilflare']anyone got recommendations for a Facebook and Twitter iPad app?[/QUOTE]

I like using Mypad+. Does Facebook well, also has Twitter built in, but I haven't gotten it working yet and only $1 for the no add version.

[quote name='wilflare']anyone got recommendations for a Facebook and Twitter iPad app?[/QUOTE]

Are you looking for one app that does both? Are you looking for a full-featured app?

I love Twitter's official iPad app - but I'm using an old version and there are complaints about the newer ones. I guess you can do a little modification to the facebook iPhone app to get it to run as an iPad app (which is much different than the usual iphone app - http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/25/facebooks-hidden-ipad-app/)

I think flipboard is also really nice for browsing what your friends post about, but it's in no way a real facebook / twitter app.

ohoh i'm looking for one app for each social network.
for Twitter was thinking between the Official and echofon

for facebook was thinking of MyPad (thanks drbutchevil! :D)

thanks for the link envelopes, rather interesting info

Just use your browser to view Facebook.. I've tried them all, paid and free but nothing works better than facebook.com.. all FB apps on IPAD lags behind the real thing..

Flipboard is a great app for both Facebook and twitter...and a whole lot more. I also use friendly for Facebook, but it isn't the best. There is supposed to be an official Facebook app soon.

Quick question for fellow Ipad owners.

I purchased one of the most addicting games yesterday on iOS, because I hear so much about it. I went ahead and paid full price for Ninja Fruit HD. This was another game that was hyped up just like Angry Birds, and I thought Angry Birds was just plain boring and no fun at all. Fruit Ninja HD is a whole different story, especially the online multiplayer is simple, quick, and downright addicting. I litterely played for 3 hours straight, what only seem like maybe an hour.

Question though, I never noticed this about the Ipad, but the screen is not all that smooth or slick (finger doesent slide across in a fluid motion as I would like) and it really shows in Ninja Fruit , because you get bonuses for clean cuts of the fruit, but sometimes I just cant get that straight cut all the time because of the resistance on the Ipad screen. Any suggestions to try to make the screen more slick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back