iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep looking at Gameloft console knockoffs and biting my tongue. They just never hold up all that well despite being solid works on a platform of flash games. I keep biting and getting burned.

EDIT: Speaking of getting burned, I 100%'d Chateau de Moreau and I really regret ever spending time with the game. I'm weak in the loins for those anime character designs and the promise of Phoenix Wright-ish murder mystery intrigue but what I got was a dopey, lousy VN with all the dumb design of a VN and none of the payoff plot-wise.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I keep looking at Gameloft console knockoffs and biting my tongue. They just never hold up all that well despite being solid works on a platform of flash games. I keep biting and getting burned.[/QUOTE]

QFT. I've realized now that when I play on my iPad, I don't want games that approximate the console experience. Even the best of those end up feeling like pale imitations. There are plenty of fresh, original games that take advantage of the unique capabilities of iOS. Gameloft hasn't gotten a dollar from me since that realization.

There's some GAmeloft games that I think work quite well, asphalt, fore example, and Dungeon Hunter is functional for a mini-diablo, but I cannot get into FPS controls on ios at all.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I keep looking at Gameloft console knockoffs and biting my tongue. They just never hold up all that well despite being solid works on a platform of flash games. I keep biting and getting burned.

EDIT: Speaking of getting burned, I 100%'d Chateau de Moreau and I really regret ever spending time with the game. I'm weak in the loins for those anime character designs and the promise of Phoenix Wright-ish murder mystery intrigue but what I got was a dopey, lousy VN with all the dumb design of a VN and none of the payoff plot-wise.[/QUOTE]

Its not just gameloft its 3D action games on the Ipad in general. Iv decided to never buy another 3D action title on the Ipad ever, even the most popular games are just asstastic and make me want to just quit and play a console game instead. It is basically taking the old crappy N64/PSX action games and then making them even worse since you are using touch controls.

[quote name='mrsamsa']There's some GAmeloft games that I think work quite well, asphalt, fore example, and Dungeon Hunter is functional for a mini-diablo, but I cannot get into FPS controls on ios at all.[/QUOTE]

Dungeon hunter is great for a mini diablo knock off, but its also the type of game thats built to function on the Ipad. Its not so amazingly action heavy and its got a top down/diagonal perspective.

Gesundheit HD is on sale for .99 from 2.99. It is one of the more acclaimed releases in the past few months and far more original then any of the gameloft games currently on sale. I am not saying not to pick those up, but you should also give this one a look. I always buy gameloft games for a buck, but rarely end up playing them. I have far more fun with games like Gesundheit that are designed with the ipad in mind and arent trying to emulate console games.

For all you iPad owners, Undead Attack HD: Best Pinball & Zombies Game is FREE this weekend.
"Undead Attack Pinball HD is super fun and unique pinball! Warning: it's highly addictive!
Awesome features include:
+ Intuitive addicting pinball game play: easy to learn, hard to master!
+ 3 different pinball machines
+ Live elements!
+ Several accessories to boost your game experience!
+ Amazing graphics!"

The Spell Breaker Quest: A Prince Ivan Adventure
is another long-titled game that is FREE for the first time.
"Isabella, Gabriella and Daniella have disappeared!
Its upon you to embark on a magical journey with Prince Ivan of Banarkash in his quest to save his sisters.
It doesnt end there...You also have to revive their cursed husbands, marry the Sun Princess and defeat a Giant Dragon Wizard in a battle...all this in one adventure!
Explore numerous locations while interacting with interesting characters.
Collect useful items and solve perplexing puzzles.
Brew a variety of magic potions and bring them to effect in this adventure riddled with obstacles.
A raven will assit you in your mission by providing useful hints along the way.
Enjoy this classic point and click adventure with hours of game play."

^o^ FireBall retina ^o^ sure looks like Zuma to me, but you can download and judge for yourself while it's available for FREE.
"The eagle is very ferocious and evil, who wants to eat the tortoise's eggs to make himself more powerful. So he asks his little evil monsters to steal the tortoise's eggs. In this game, you will play the role of the tortoise to defend her eggs and meet various difficulties ahead to overcome. So come and save your egg babies!"

Has anyone played NOVA 2 or Modern Combat: Domination on Mac? If so, any thoughts and if I was going to get only one which one comes more recommended?

Temple Run is the new main FAAD game.
"In pretty much every treasure hunting adventure movie there’s one specific scene in which the plucky hero finally gets his hands on the treasure but then has to navigate a maze of booby traps in order to get out alive. Temple Run is this scene and nothing else. And it’s amazing." - SlideToPlay.com
"From the makers of the award-winning best-seller Harbor Master® comes the most exhilarating running game on the App Store. Test your reflexes as you race down ancient temple walls and along sheer cliffs. Swipe to turn, jump and slide to avoid obstacles, collect coins and buy power ups, and see how far you can run!"

[quote name='JayMan8081']Has anyone played NOVA 2 or Modern Combat: Domination on Mac? If so, any thoughts and if I was going to get only one which one comes more recommended?[/QUOTE]

I picked up nova 2 and it runs flawlessly on my late '09 unibody MacBook. I do have 4gb of ram. It's much more enjoyable than it is on iPhone. I chose it over modern combat because from what I read, MC has no single player campaign, and nova has both.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Temple Run is the new main FAAD game.
"In pretty much every treasure hunting adventure movie there’s one specific scene in which the plucky hero finally gets his hands on the treasure but then has to navigate a maze of booby traps in order to get out alive. Temple Run is this scene and nothing else. And it’s amazing." - SlideToPlay.com
"From the makers of the award-winning best-seller Harbor Master® comes the most exhilarating running game on the App Store. Test your reflexes as you race down ancient temple walls and along sheer cliffs. Swipe to turn, jump and slide to avoid obstacles, collect coins and buy power ups, and see how far you can run!"[/QUOTE]

Temple run is excellent. Highly recommended.

[quote name='JayMan8081']Has anyone played NOVA 2 or Modern Combat: Domination on Mac? If so, any thoughts and if I was going to get only one which one comes more recommended?[/QUOTE]
I picked up Mac apps NOVA 2, Modern Combat: Domination, and Let's Golf 2 for $1 ea. Here are my impressions:

NOVA 2: Just like its iOS counterpart, this is mindless, generic fps fun modeled from Halo 1. It's hard to believe they usually sell this for $10, but for $1 it's an easy rec for fps fans looking to kill some time.

Modern Combat: Domination: No sp campaign. It's pure multiplayer, but you can play sp bot matches. When playing sp you don't earn xp. I haven't tried mp yet but the sp was ok. I think they were trying to model this game off of Counter Strike. Since CS is available on Mac it's hard to rec this. It's not the worst $1 you could spend, but if you only want one of these games then go with NOVA 2.

Let's Golf 2: This is so much better on iOS. I guess if you're an avid Hot Shots Golf fan this is worth $1, but if you already have this for iOS then skip the Mac version.

In for Temple Run. Thanks for the heads up. I concur with the recommendation of picking up Gesundheit HD while on sale. I bought it full price and it was worth it. For 99 cents it's a no-brainer. Great game and quite the looker too.

The really fun top down gyroscope racer VS. Racing is the latest FAAD game! It's a really fun racer (think Death Rally without weapons) that nails the gyroscope controls. And for free it's even better!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/vs.-racing/id443893981?mt=8

If you're reading this, GREAT job FAAD guy! =)

And if anyone from Remedy is reading this, take a note from Maciek Drejak Labs and add superb gyroscope controls to DR! ;)

[quote name='wilflare']hmm anyone knows of any iTunes Gift Card promos?
thought i should stock to prepare for Winter Games Sales/Promo[/QUOTE]

If there is a Fry's Electronics in your area they have $50 iTunes cards for $40 through Thursday. I'm planning on snagging one on Wednesday.

[quote name='SEH']Aside from Plants vs Zombies, whats the best tower defense game in the App Store for iPhone/iPod?[/QUOTE]

Probably The Creeps!

Guns'n'Glory, however, is my personal favorite. It's not strictly "tower" defense since you can move your men around, but it's the same basic idea.

You would probably also like Army of Darkness Defense, which is free.

P.S. Nice avatar.

[quote name='SEH']Aside from Plants vs Zombies, whats the best tower defense game in the App Store for iPhone/iPod?[/QUOTE]

My vote goes to Field Runners.
Runner up would be Geo Defense Swarm.

Defender Chronicles is the best. I must have put 60 hours into it. My first huge time sink on my iPod touch before I got my iPhone. It's a shame the dev stopped updating the app. I guess the community must have died.

Army of Darkness Defense is great, thanks. And I'm not a big fan of the movies. It's really more Swords & Soldiers (way better than Naked King, which was OK for free) than PvZ but I like all 3 better than the typical tower defense games. Field Runners might be my favorite typical TD game (on PSN Mini's, I haven't tried iOS yet), I like building and then modifying the paths. (Completely off platform but there should be some good LBP2 levels now that it his Move support.)

I really like Field Runners though I'm generally not a huge tower defence guy.

Also, don't wan't to hijak the thread but I'm super excited to announce my iOS game, The Secret Castle. Feel free to friend, message, insult, whatever as I'm a huge fan of the the forum and this thread and would love advice on price, universal, etc. I'll also try to send people promo codes when the game gets closer to release at the end of the year.

[quote name='Fatbot3']I really like Field Runners though I'm generally not a huge tower defence guy.

Also, don't wan't to hijak the thread but I'm super excited to announce my iOS game, The Secret Castle. Feel free to friend, message, insult, whatever as I'm a huge fan of the the forum and this thread and would love advice on price, universal, etc. I'll also try to send people promo codes when the game gets closer to release at the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

Wow, looking really intriguing there! I'd need to know a little bit more than just the teaser to give any advice, but it's already looking beautiful and well-crafted. I will say this: UNIVERSAL APP. PLEASE. Nothing irks me more than having to buy a game twice so I can play it on my phone in line somewhere and on my iPad at home lounging, and I'm less likely to buy either app than I would be to buy a single universal app. ALSO: Take advantage of the iOS 5 cloud-saving feature. I'd love to be able to save my game on my phone and then go pick up my iPad and continue right where I was.

Bumpy Road (Universal) is trying to work it's way to it's 99 sale price. Currently I get the dreaded, "being modified", but there you go. This is a well reviewed game, as far as I've seen, and looks fun. I'll definitely be trying again later to buy it, though technically the dev said the sale was supposed to start tomorrow (in celebration of 100k downloads) so maybe it won't work until then? I don't know.

http://appshopper.com/games/bumpy-road

It shows as $2.99 there, but it is showing as 99 cents on itunes.

[quote name='crunchewy']Bumpy Road (Universal) is trying to work it's way to it's 99 sale price. Currently I get the dreaded, "being modified", but there you go. This is a well reviewed game, as far as I've seen, and looks fun. I'll definitely be trying again later to buy it, though technically the dev said the sale was supposed to start tomorrow (in celebration of 100k downloads) so maybe it won't work until then? I don't know.
http://appshopper.com/games/bumpy-road
It shows as $2.99 there, but it is showing as 99 cents on itunes.[/QUOTE]

Saw that on Touch Arcade, definitely getting it when I get home

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Wow, looking really intriguing there! I'd need to know a little bit more than just the teaser to give any advice, but it's already looking beautiful and well-crafted. I will say this: UNIVERSAL APP. PLEASE. Nothing irks me more than having to buy a game twice so I can play it on my phone in line somewhere and on my iPad at home lounging, and I'm less likely to buy either app than I would be to buy a single universal app. ALSO: Take advantage of the iOS 5 cloud-saving feature. I'd love to be able to save my game on my phone and then go pick up my iPad and continue right where I was.[/QUOTE]

Working on cloud saves now and will almost certainly make it universal.

[quote name='Fatbot3']
Working on cloud saves now and will almost certainly make it universal.[/QUOTE]

I look forward to checking it out. If you need a beta-tester, my wife lives for point-and-click puzzle/hidden object games and we have an iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2 in the house. The 4 and the iPad 2 are running OS5.

For those looking for one of those freemium games where you do stuff and then come back later and check on it, I'd definitely recommend Tiny Farm and Dragonvale. These are fairly new releases that came out last week. Drgaonvale was highly praised on TouchArcade. If anyone plays this, feel free to add me: Kuro Seija.

[quote name='Wario64']Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery is $0.99/$1.99 right now, 1 day sale[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing $1.99 for both iphone & ipod is that the sale price? What is it usually?

If you don't have Sword & Sworcery yet, now is the time. Fantastic game.

Looking forward to The Secret Castle! Reminds me of Locksley's Lineup, of course, but hopefully it'll work better than that!

Does it use the accelerometer or the cameras? If the latter, will it use the forward-facing camera? My rear camera is usually blocked by the stupid cover we bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back