iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
The very well done Sentinel 3: Homeworld has temporarily dropped back down to .99 as OpenFeint's FireSale Friday game. I highly recommend it for fans of the genre while it's on sale.
"Take the fight to the alien homeworld and unleash a massive arsenal of weaponry!
FEATURES
* UNIVERSAL build - play on ALL iPhones, iPod Touches & iPads!
* A challenging campaign featuring 20 levels across 14 distinctive & demanding maps!
* A powerful commander mech which can level up and gain new abilities as you play!
* Over 20 unlockable turrets, orbital ship weapons, automated drones and abilities at your disposal!
* IAP offers a new 15 level campaign, new commander, new weapons, new enemies and more!
* Customize your weapon loadout in the Armory to match the demands of the mission!
* Stunning graphics & fx - with full high-resolution Retina Display support!
* Endless modes for all maps with online highscores.
* Classic mode allows you to compete for scores in a pure skill-based game mode.
* OpenFeint AND Game Center supported for achievements, global scores, friends and more!
* View strategic layouts from the leaderboards - see how the best players think (OpenFeint required)
* Exclusive music by the creators of the Sentinel 2 music - Specimen A.
* Completely reworked and revamped game engine.
Good luck, Commander!"

[quote name='Stimes']Two Worlds II Castle Defense HD is on sale for 99, any opinions on it?
http://appshopper.com/games/two-worlds-ii-castle-defense-hd[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! I heard this game can be pretty challenging, the the drop to .99 makes it a must buy. Was tempted to snag this the other day when it dropped to $3.99, glad I waited.

I have completed both Two Worlds game on the 360 and enjoyed them. Anxious to try this one.

Bever's Revenge is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The lumberjacks have invaded the beaver's home again. Now it is time to strike back and get ... Revenge!!! The beavers and their forest friends are out to teach the lumberjacks a lesson. You can fling a fish, launch a skunk, toss a rabbit and more!!
Beaver's Revenge™ has hours of fun physics gameplay. Get ready to smash and destroy anything that gets in your way."

Dune Rider is one of the new FAAD games right now.
"Tear around the desert in your nitro fueled Dune Rider. Jump off sand dunes, ramps, cliffs or whatever you can find and pull mid air stunts. Perform spectacular tricks, earn cash, unlock better cars and discover new worlds for the ultimate ride."

Music for Users! | Ambiscience
has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"WHAT IS AMBISCIENCE?
First, AmbiScience provides soothing, evocative ambient music that takes you to another place - a sonic journey. Second, we also provide the option of combining the music with entrainment (en-train-ment) - a safe, audio process of stimulating your brain to certain frequencies.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once you choose a particular frequency, such as the 'sleep' frequency, this state is then more quickly achieved than normal. This is done by a mixing of tones sent to each ear - the difference between the two tones, that your brain creates, is called binaural entrainment. We also include isochronic entrainment, which is a different form, using a single pulsating tone in each ear - people who don't respond to binaurals, often respond to isochronics.
THE ONLY APP
AmbiScience is the only app, which includes binaurals and isochronics in ONE."

Been playing Tiger Woods HD off and on all weekend on my iPad 2. It's a great game of golf!

The only criticism I have is the commentary sucks--alot of times it will be flat-out wrong compared to what's going on in the game, and hearing Jim Nance say I need to get aggressive every other shot is annoying, but other than that I can't recommend it enough, especially since it's free!

Grab it while you can!

[quote name='blandstalker']Robot Wants Kitty -- a Metroidvania game that somehow ended up in my appshopper list -- just went free. The Appspy review is here.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone grabbed the update for this? I thought it was implied a long time ago that they would be adding several levels to it. I waited and waited, and now the update adds 5 levels as IAP? :/

[quote name='Dimsdale']The very well done Sentinel 3: Homeworld has temporarily dropped back down to .99 as OpenFeint's FireSale Friday game. I highly recommend it for fans of the genre while it's on sale.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the rec. I played the first few levels and it's a well done TD game easily worth $.99. I also picked up campaign 2 IAP since it is currently 50% off ($1.99->$.99).

Chop Chop Kicker is the new main FAAD game.
"Who said dinosaurs couldn't fly?
Kicking cute dinosaurs and making them fly used to be the national sport of the paleolithic age!
Now, you can re-live the very first flights of the dinosaurs! The magic ink will allow you to draw lines and control the little buddy during his flight.
Use bouncy mushrooms, fat and angry birds, clouds and much, much more to improve your flying distance.
But be careful, the world is hostile and many dangers and obstacles will slow you down. Be agile and fast with your drawing and avoid them!"

G: Into The Rain
is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"A gravity gripping, Steampunk styled, moody-beautiful, slingshot simulating puzzle pleaser.
G is the first chapter in Soma Games’ Arc Saga and is a gorgeously rendered take on the classic gravity golf genre of puzzle games.
Explore the vast uncharted mystery of The Rain, a solar-system spanning shock wave of gas and dust from far, far away. In your role as sounding officer onboard Ptolemy Station you build and launch exploration rockets into increasingly challenging fields where Iceteroids, theophosphorus and quicksand clouds make your mission much more work than your employers led you to believe…
Gorgeous hand painted art, eerily atmospheric music and a deep, compelling storyline make G more than just a puzzle game. As the first chapter in a four part series, G introduces you to a steampunk styled world where corporate intrigue and competing mercenaries all vie for their share of the unknown promise.
The Rain - blessing or curse, its arrival changes human history for ever…and you will play a part."

[quote name='envelopes']Has anyone grabbed the update for this? I thought it was implied a long time ago that they would be adding several levels to it. I waited and waited, and now the update adds 5 levels as IAP? :/[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are some complaints about this over on the TA forums. Also complaints about the fact that you have to pay for access to user created levels, which to me is really a bad move by the dev.

There's been a lot of devs pulling crap like this lately. Some paid games going free then charging IAPs even for those who bought the games when they weren't free. Others adding in-game ads to make them free (and, again, screwing the early supporters). Anyway, that's a whole different story (and one that got me kicked off temporarily, at least, on TA). I understand that it's a huge chance to even make money for devs on the App Store, but they could at least throw a bone to people who supported them from the beginning.

RWK is still a great game at least for the original levels and if someone here doesn't have it, pick it up while it's still free. One of the best platformers on the iOS IMO.

[quote name='SimpRgr8']The Oregon Trail is free for a couple of days. It's not the original we all played years ago, but it's still fun especially for free.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-oregon-trail/id307519882?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Yes, I saw this too. Just be aware that it says it's 299 MB, but I understand that it's like a full gig installed.
I downloaded via iTunes to my PC for future use, but only have an 8 GB so don't know if I'll be playing it anytime soon.

Zombie Farm is one of the new FAAD games.
"◉‿◉ Tired of killing zombies? Try farming them!

�� Farm, grow and harvest your very own zombies.
�� Choose from a rich selection of crops and zombies. 100% organic!
�� Fight zombie prejudice by unleashing your home grown zombies on the enemy!"

Tiki Totems 2 is the main FAAD title right now.
"Tiki Totems 2 is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Tiki Totems Premium - 4+ star average across over a million downloads cannot be wrong!
Experience the second chapter in the Tiki Totems saga and become a savior of the Tiki village once more. Help the worshippers across a campaign spanning 3 game modes with over a hundred hand-crafted, unique levels."

Robot Rampage is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The invasion has arrived, and YOU are the robot invader on a mission to tear the city apart! Stomp, burn and nuke your way through randomly generated city levels and crush the humans!
How far can YOU rampage?"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Zombie Farm is one of the new FAAD games.
"◉‿◉ Tired of killing zombies? Try farming them!

💀 Farm, grow and harvest your very own zombies.
💀 Choose from a rich selection of crops and zombies. 100% organic!
💀 Fight zombie prejudice by unleashing your home grown zombies on the enemy!"

Tiki Totems 2 is the main FAAD title right now.
"Tiki Totems 2 is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Tiki Totems Premium - 4+ star average across over a million downloads cannot be wrong!
Experience the second chapter in the Tiki Totems saga and become a savior of the Tiki village once more. Help the worshippers across a campaign spanning 3 game modes with over a hundred hand-crafted, unique levels."

Robot Rampage is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The invasion has arrived, and YOU are the robot invader on a mission to tear the city apart! Stomp, burn and nuke your way through randomly generated city levels and crush the humans!
How far can YOU rampage?"[/QUOTE]

Worth noting Zombie Farm has always been free and is based on IAPs.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Worth noting Zombie Farm has always been free and is based on IAPs.[/QUOTE]

Hasn't Tiki Totems 2 been the same way? And the original states it's free in the description yet is charging $1 for it.

[quote name='DaGrandMastah']I hate you for posting this before me lol. I just got the email and went over to see if I can beat everyone to it...but you won.

Just downloaded the app though. Had it on my wish list.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. $5 was crazy for it.

Thank you gsrjedi.

[quote name='Hostile']Has anyone tried Pac-Chomp? It's on sale for $1 and I don't remember why I put it on my AppShopper wishlist.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Pac-Chomp a while back. It's a pretty fun match 3 puzzler. Kind of varies the formula by having powerups that you can pick up with a pacman piece on the grid.

[quote name='Stimes']Minotaur Rescue's new update sure does seem to improve the controls for the game, I was never able to get into it before now.[/QUOTE]

His games are so crazy... plus, I am a C64 geek and remember all of his games.

[quote name='Hostile']Has anyone tried Pac-Chomp? It's on sale for $1 and I don't remember why I put it on my AppShopper wishlist.[/QUOTE]

Worth a buck. I played it for a few hours on a flight a few months back.

Sounds like shazam has had a change of heart. They've removed the 5 tags per month limitation from their free app. I think it's supplemented with an ad though. So you'll have to deal with that I guess.

This isn't *that* exciting, but yesterday I went to the local 7-11 and there was a sign (an official looking one) saying that $25 itunes cards were 10% off. I didn't actually try to buy one, though. Still figured it was worth a mention, at least. YMMV?

Shadowgun looks cute and all but they're crazy asking $8 off the bat like that, and immediately getting the game of the week spot to boot. They should have at least pretended like "$8 is a sale price, hurry now before $10!"

I wonder what it costs a dev to get that coveted pick of the week slot...

[quote name='crunchewy']This isn't *that* exciting, but yesterday I went to the local 7-11 and there was a sign (an official looking one) saying that $25 itunes cards were 10% off. I didn't actually try to buy one, though. Still figured it was worth a mention, at least. YMMV?[/QUOTE]

Damnit when are you going to make a post letting us know Summoner Wars is releasing!

Yeah I have it. It was fun for a few minutes. The power-up/reward system is wonky. Not that good of a match-3.

[quote name='tenchim86']Masyu bug, masyu, and monster masyu are free. I highly recommended it if you like puzzle games.[/QUOTE]

Masyu was the first iPhone game I loved in the early days of the store. I played through all of these (appropriate play order - bug, masyu, monster... bug was too easy for me when it released). I recommend them as well.

ZombieRunnerZ is the OpenFeint FGOTD right now.
"You are a zombie who just escaped from the medical experiment.
Run for survival!!
Avoid or use all the obstacles!
Can you survive?"

For you iPad gamers, Royal Envoy HD (Premium) has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Take the King's challenge! Save the wonderful land of countless islands from the merciless forces of nature. Construct and upgrade homes and buildings for the island citizens and become the chief city planner of marvelous Islandshire. Think your way to triumph in this challenging and mesmerizing game of pirates, treasure and hot-air balloon adventures!
ENJOY THESE FEATURES:
- Unique blend of time management and strategy
- 9 delightful islands to rebuild
- Great variety of homes and buildings to construct
- 63 challenging levels
- Captivating storyline with charming and whimsical characters
- Game Center Achievements"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back