iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blandstalker']Let's Create Pottery HD is back down to 99 cents [/QUOTE]

After spending some time with this, I would recommend it for 99 cents. It's not quite a game, though there are "missions" and grading criteria. Apart from some control precision issues and limitations on what you can do, though, it's amusing and well worth a buck.

[quote name='crunchewy']Super Dynamite Fishing (Universal) has gone free for the first time. Seems to have good reviews, and who doesn't like that concept?

http://appshopper.com/games/super-dynamite-fishing

Downloading it now.[/QUOTE]
SDF actually looks like a lot of fun (notice how I refrained from saying it looks like a blast. . .ooops. . .blame it on Friday). Thanks for the heads up!

I am just hoping that add acheivements to pocket academy and the other similar games like they did gamedev story. I just dont understand games that release in this day and age without them.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am just hoping that add acheivements to pocket academy and the other similar games like they did gamedev story. I just dont understand games that release in this day and age without them.[/QUOTE]

And I don't understand the fervor some people have over achievements. I either like a game or I don't, and no outside tidbits can affect that.

[quote name='Vegan']And I don't understand the fervor some people have over achievements. I either like a game or I don't, and no outside tidbits can affect that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Thing is though that in this day and age achievements are standard feature. Its like releasing a PC game that is designed for console yet does not have 360 controller support. It happens, but its just disappointing and makes you think, Really?

Sushi Chop is one of the new FAAD games right now.
"In SUSHICHOP for iPhone and iPod Touch, your finger is the razor-sharp knife, as you swipe your way to sushi chopping glory!
Cut with precision and skill to fill each tray before the timer runs out. Fill a tray chopping the fewest fish necessary to earn a Perfect Chop bonus, but beware the stinky green fish!
TWO UNIQUE, ENTHRALLING GAME MODES!
Earn as much as you can with 3 lives in Sushi Chop mode, then tackle Sushi Master mode, where you are tasked with slicing only the fish that match the order cards!"

Funpark Friends is the main FAAD offering.
"Build the most awesome, spectacular and popular theme park in all the world with Funpark Friends! Enjoy the exhilaration of Rollercoasters, the thrill of River Rapids, the fun of Ferris Wheels and living your dreams with Funpark Friends!
Features:
★ Build your very own Funpark!
★ Choose from a huge selection of rides, games and attractions to add to your park.
★ Themed rides and decoration sets including Pirate, Medieval, Space, and more allow you to build awesome themed parks!
★ Complete quests to earn big rewards.
★ Gorgeous, highly detailed graphics put you right in the action.
★ Watch your park come to life with beautifully animated rides and visitors.
★ Play anytime, anywhere with offline play capability."

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Grand Prix Story and Pocket Academy dropped from $3.99 to $1.99 (50%). Still waiting for the $0.99 sale on Grand Prix Story and Mega Mall Story...[/QUOTE]
Man, that would be a glorious day for me, if both of them went on sale at the same time for $0.99. Eh, I can only dream.....

[quote name='Vegan']And I don't understand the fervor some people have over achievements. I either like a game or I don't, and no outside tidbits can affect that.[/QUOTE]

Not achievements exactly, but I thought Shibuya was a good example of how goals could extend the life and depth of a game. I found the game itself okay, but it didn't grab me. Then the award system got me to play in different ways and figure out the game more.

Temple Run does this pretty well, too. Just knowing there were achievements for *not* getting gold made me try that.

Both of these are systems built into the games themselves, so they may not count, even though they are achievement-like. But I thought they were both excellent implementations. Heck, I even think Shibuya's award system is better and deeper than the game itself.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Man, that would be a glorious day for me, if both of them went on sale at the same time for $0.99. Eh, I can only dream.....[/QUOTE]

Don't think that it would happen at the same time, but just be patient, young one, 'coz the force is strong and it should eventually happen :p

Heck, I bought Game Dev Story, Hot Spring Story and Pocket Academy all at $0.99 :applause:

Dudu Rush Deluxe is one of the new FAAD games.
"On the vast earth, the elf race is enjoying their life in a world with human beings.
Dudu (One of the elfs) and his friends are so curious about everything around, and they decided to explore the unknown world.
Dudu’s best friend Nunu, his little sister Ruru and Dudu himself made up their mind to start the adventure, while with the enemies on their way to success will they hold on or just give up?"

Warp Dash is the featured FAAD title right now.
"Speed into the future--how long can you survive? Welcome to Warp Dash, the most challenging arcade endurance racer to land in the iTunes App Store! Select your ship and race through the never-ending game grid with no boundaries, except the limitation of your gaming skills."

In case Grand Prix Story goes on sale this week for 99c, you're welcome... Just picked it up... Seems to happen when I buy something it goes on sale shortly thereafter...

I like it, I was a little apprehensive because I couldn't get into Pocket Academy. Still evaluating, will give more detailed opinion soon...

[quote name='Javansdaddy']In case Grand Prix Story goes on sale this week for 99c, you're welcome... Just picked it up... Seems to happen when I buy something it goes on sale shortly thereafter...

I like it, I was a little apprehensive because I couldn't get into Pocket Academy. Still evaluating, will give more detailed opinion soon...[/QUOTE]

I played in on my Android phone last month. It's actually really enjoyable. The only downside is once you complete the game, there really isn't much in the way of replay value. It will last you a while to play though.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']In case Grand Prix Story goes on sale this week for 99c, you're welcome... Just picked it up... Seems to happen when I buy something it goes on sale shortly thereafter...

I like it, I was a little apprehensive because I couldn't get into Pocket Academy. Still evaluating, will give more detailed opinion soon...[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that. I appreciate it! Could you also buy some Squaresoft titles? You know. Just in case. ;)

[quote name='bsaaCarter20']Anyone know of any good ipod Nano/Shuffle deals goin on?[/QUOTE]

Target has Shuffles on sale for (if memory serves) $47 this week. If you're in the market for a Shuffle, get it soon... rumor has it they'll be phasing out both the Shuffle and the Classic.

[quote name='Splines']Settlers of Tandria looks interesting. Anybody try it yet?[/QUOTE]

I was about to buy it based on the reviews until I saw the app is a version 1.0. No app support and also a lack of gamecenter make it a deal breaker.

I started Tiny Tower on my iPad yesterday. Love it. Decided to start it on my phone and it detected and carried over my tower. Awesome stuff.

[quote name='seanr1221']I started Tiny Tower on my iPad yesterday. Love it. Decided to start it on my phone and it detected and carried over my tower. Awesome stuff.[/QUOTE]

Is it cool for a few days but I got tired of it fast.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Is it cool for a few days but I got tired of it fast.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Tiny Tower for a while and it was even addicting, but yeah, it's basically just busy work. I go back to it everyone once in a blue moon, though. Worth picking up since it's free.

On a different note, Wormholes is like an uglier and more cumbersome to play Portal. Rather, it's exactly that. It's OK, but will just make you want to play the real thing. For free, though, it's worth a shot.

Cat Physics (Universal) has a good iTunes rating score and it has dropped to free:

http://appshopper.com/games/cat-physics

I know this is the deals thread and not the discussion thread, but no one ever goes on that thread so I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone have a problem with contant freezing on 9 Innings Pro Baseball 2011? I love the game, but it freezes constantly and I have to restart the app, then it does it again less than 5 minutes later. I reinstalled it, have my OS updated, but nothing helps. So I was just checking to see if anyone else who has this game has this problem.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']Is it cool for a few days but I got tired of it fast.[/QUOTE]

Ya, after around 50 floors, it gets boring pretty quick. My new time waster is Dragon Vale, really well done, and the dragons look slick and everything is achievable without buying stuff.

[quote name='mightymek'] Does anyone have a problem with contant freezing on 9 Innings Pro Baseball 2011? [/QUOTE]

I had a crashing problem with almost all of my games until I figured out that you have to double click the button at the bottom and clear out some of the running apps to free up processing power... Now everything runs great :)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I had a crashing problem with almost all of my games until I figured out that you have to double click the button at the bottom and clear out some of the running apps to free up processing power... Now everything runs great :)[/QUOTE]

Wait...so when you double click the button you have to close all of the apps? I think every one one of my apps is listed there when I slide them across. These apps are running? So if I click on an app and then close out of it it stays running in the background until I close it in that menu or something? Sorry if I sound like a newb, I just never heard of this before.

Edit: Thanks by the way. I will try this to see if it works!

No, not all of those are running. It only keeps a handful of them in memory. It's supposed to clear things out automatically and for the most part it does, but after a while it can end up not working so great (I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that it's memory fragementation), but at that point your best bet is probably shutting down and rebooting, not manually killing apps.

I love Tiny Towers. (and I really don't know why)
Yea, if I am busy on weekends, I may miss a day or two, but other than that I play nearly every day.
I am on my 80th floor and still going strong.
AND STILL REFUSING TO BUY ANY IN GAME PURCHASES! (haha! it can be done!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back