iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameloft Game Sale :D

"New iPhone games sale! Now at $0.99 for a limited time:

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard
Real Soccer 2011
Dungeon Hunter 2
BackStab
Starfront - Collision"

All these (in HD) I believe are on sale as well for the iPad!

I gotta say, while I don't post often here I do read it every day, and it seems to be maybe one of the friendlier threads on CAG. I don't know, maybe it's because of all the deals we're getting, lol?

I'll probably get all these games except Backstab which I already have. I'm a sucker for $0.99 games, especially ones from Gameloft.

After buying some games recently though (Kairosoft one's at $3.99/Infinity Blade at $5.99), I realize I gotta jump on deals when they happen. I have a bad habit of being iffy on a deal when it comes up, then wanting that game later when it's not on sale. I've had several games lately (some Gameloft RPGs, the Kairosoft games, Dark Meadow), where I'm now like...wait, why didn't I pick those up again, lol?

[quote name='crunchewy']
I have Shantae on my DSi and I played it for a bit and then got tired of the wandering around not being sure where I was supposed to go. Just not my kind of game. I tried the iOS version and was initially fooled, but then wasn't. LOL. Fortunately before I bought it. Mind you, that's just me. Some people like these kinds of games.[/QUOTE]

I have Shantae on the DSi and loved it. Yeah, there is some wandering and some mechanics that are a little outdated. But I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. It's never frustratingly difficult, but there are some tricky bits, some of which involve figuring out what to do/where to go next. Recommended if you like platformers and don't hate having to explore now and then.

Since it's free with an IAP unlock for the full game, I would say give it a try. You have nothing to lose. The iOS price of 2.99 is 1/4 the cost of the DSi game, so it's a good value.

Bought SuperCrossfire, but haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='theironunkind']Found a bunch of codes - help yourselves.
Momento
A4N3H4ALALLX

The Monster at the End of this Book
T6NWJYRAR73K
EMPMRALRATW3
7R3JJJYFMK6L
W4NLLTRETHPY
YYWA96MJJHJH[/QUOTE]

all used

^^^^^ it was 1$ yesterday, now I get the error "Not in Canadian store"

perhaps an error if it isnt in the US or Canadian store...

Has anyone played the Rainbow Six game thats on sale for 1$? Looks decent, but I only want to get it if you can play through stealthily without having to clear large areas/corridors full of enemies.

I know that the iPhone/iPad screens are higher resolution than a DS screen (ANYTHING would be), but is Shantae on iOS actually at a higher res, or did they just plop the original onto it? If it's visually the same, I'm inclined to just pay extra for real buttons.

[quote name='envelopes']Not on the US Store?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='method47']^^^^^ it was 1$ yesterday, now I get the error "Not in Canadian store"

perhaps an error if it isnt in the US or Canadian store...

[/QUOTE]
Damn, this was on my wish list too. I'm pretty sure we are out of luck for this one, I think it was removed by Apple for being too much like minecraft. Hope I'm wrong but pretty sure that's what happened.:cry:

Death Rider is one of the new FAAD games.
"It's a race to the death. Forget who wins, it's who survives that counts. This awesome 3D racer has big cars, even bigger guns and huge bounties to fight for... if you can survive that is.
- Stunning 3D graphics
- Over 10 cars to choose from with RPG's, heat-seekers and many more
- Blast your way through races and blow the competition away
- Tilt and wheel steering controls
- Amazing gameplay that will keep you challenged for hours"

Another update on a gaming classic, Asteroids GUNNER has been released for FREE.
"Blast your way through deadly asteroids fields and alien war ships to become the most wealthy and powerful Gunner in space history. Work your way to the top of the gritty crystal mining business by traversing through the galaxy and collecting the treasures of the cosmos. Upgrade your ship as you climb up the intergalactic ranks and become a force to be reckoned with!"

You know you want another match-3 puzzler, so Fruited 2 has graciously dropped to FREE so you can get your fix. Plus, it's got monkeys.
"Awesome puzzle game with addictive gameplay and online game scores. Fruited2 has several new features with fully upgraded graphics & animations.
If you have got bored with similar games or if you want more funnier and entertaining match puzzle game, Fruited2 is here for you.
Its gameplay is better than other similar games with lot of creative fun involving monkeys, squirrels & worms."

[quote name='Artrigis']Jetpack Joyride Codes.
Y7Y6HTLRF46R
FN4WR6TXKKKJ

Please let others know when you use them thanks[/QUOTE]

Used the second one. Thank you very much!

[quote name='Artrigis']Jetpack Joyride Codes.
Y7Y6HTLRF46R
FN4WR6TXKKKJ

Please let others know when you use them thanks[/QUOTE]

Used the first one. Thanks a ton!

[quote name='Stimes']In for Lara Croft for the iPhone and probably the iPad version too when it goes to $.99, thanks for the heads up[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it is. I have the console version and LOVED it. If it's as fun on the iPhone, I'll pick it up!

[quote name='Vegan']I know that the iPhone/iPad screens are higher resolution than a DS screen (ANYTHING would be), but is Shantae on iOS actually at a higher res, or did they just plop the original onto it? If it's visually the same, I'm inclined to just pay extra for real buttons.[/QUOTE]

I didn't play the DS version, but it looks to be around DS resolution. There is a large border around the game window and what's viewable is pixely.

Also, it would really surprise me if they redrew all of the sprites for a port.

[quote name='mightymek']Let me know how it is. I have the console version and LOVED it. If it's as fun on the iPhone, I'll pick it up![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah, interested in Lara. Is it any different than the console version?[/QUOTE]

I loved the console version as well, hopefully I have a slow day at work and will be able to put some time in on the iOS version. So far I've played only for a couple minutes and can say its defiantly going to be worth the dollar, the graphics are good, better than the average duel stick shooter. The controls seem good, there are three buttons around the edge of the right stick (jump, roll, and mine) also a change weapon button on the bottom/center. There is local co-op via wi-fi, game center support, leader boards and achievements. I'm not expecting it to be as great as the console version but I think it's pretty good from the little I've seen. I will report back when I've played more.

[quote name='handsomepete']now that it's been out for a while, any feedback on final fantasy tactics ios style?[/QUOTE]

My initial reaction to the game was a lot of hate. I bought it day one and felt like it was a lazy port. The graphics aren't updated (not a terrible thing) but the frame rate issues were demoralizing for a game created in 1997.

However, I finally put the gripes aside and got over the initial learning curve. I'm now about 22 hours into the game and can't put it down. It really is a classic. I just wish they would have done more with the port. There was a ton of opportunity for Square to recreate a classic for a new generation that could have led to a possible sequel by reaching a new fan base. Instead we got a game that is great for the people that loved the original but will probably never reach a new audience.

Not a game, but Photogene 2 for iPhone is on sale at the intro price of 99 cents. If you have the original Photogene installed on you phone, you get 1 free IAP when you upgrade (up to $5.99 value if you chose the go pro IAP). I was debating whether to get the new version, since I don't use the phone's camera that much, but the free IAP pushed me over the edge.

Just got an email from AppZapp saying Scribblenauts: Remix is going down to .99. Don't know when it goes into effect, but should be soon.

I couldn't find Photogene 2 by searching for that. In fact I couldn't find it by searching for Photogene either. The only way I could find it was to search appshopper for Photogene! Here it is on appshopper:

http://appshopper.com/photography/photogene²-for-iphone

I'm bummed it is for iPhone. Actually I don't mind them having separate versions, but the iPad version doesn't even exist yet. Oh well. Probably will get the iPhone version and the iPad version once that's out.

[quote name='The Truth 34']Just got an email from AppZapp saying Scribblenauts: Remix is going down to .99. Don't know when it goes into effect, but should be soon.[/QUOTE]

According to the site, that and Shadowgun, World of Goo, and Peggle will be 99 cents tonight. I've never heard of that site but it seems accurate judging by some previous sales.

Dude Perfect is the new main FAAD game.
"What will your shot be?
We’re Dude Perfect™—the YouTube guys that bring you the world’s craziest basketball shots—and we’re thrilled to introduce the first ever trick-shot basketball game! Prove you have what it takes to master the art of the trick-shot by taking, and making, the most epic shots imaginable!
Few can handle the challenge: a killer combination physics-based puzzler and super addicting sports adventure!"

Pickpawcket
is also being featured on FAAD right now.
"The dogs have stolen all the cat art and are displaying it in their museums! You are Pickpawcket, the world’s sneakiest cat burglar. Your mission: get past the dogs and their security systems and retrieve the art. Outwit the dogs with wind-up squirrels, TVs, disguises, and more, to recover the artwork. Collect and enjoy all 80 amusing professionally-drawn cat paintings!"

[quote name='crunchewy']I couldn't find Photogene 2 by searching for that. In fact I couldn't find it by searching for Photogene either. The only way I could find it was to search appshopper for Photogene! Here it is on appshopper:

http://appshopper.com/photography/photogene²-for-iphone

I'm bummed it is for iPhone. Actually I don't mind them having separate versions, but the iPad version doesn't even exist yet. Oh well. Probably will get the iPhone version and the iPad version once that's out.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about not including the link, I posted from my phone.

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah, interested in Lara. Is it any different than the console version?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I had to replay the 360 version for a level to remember but yes it's pretty much the same game, the cut scenes are not animated in the iOS version though.

[quote name='The Truth 34']Just got an email from AppZapp saying Scribblenauts: Remix is going down to .99. Don't know when it goes into effect, but should be soon.[/QUOTE]
You can thank my kid for this, just paid $5 for it of corse.

Fishing Fun 2 HD (iPad only) just came out and is free for today only. Haven't played it yet but the first one has some good reviews and looking at there other apps looks like they go free for a day when they come out and then don't go free again so get it soon if interested.
http://appshopper.com/games/fishing-fun-2-hd

[quote name='Wario64']According to the site, that and Shadowgun, World of Goo, and Peggle will be 99 cents tonight. I've never heard of that site but it seems accurate judging by some previous sales.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably be in for Shadowgun and Scribblenauts (Already have World of Goo HD and Peggle (bought Peggle for 99 cents before I even had an iDevice)). I've been on a 99 cent app spending spree the past few days.

[quote name='Wario64']According to the site, that and Shadowgun, World of Goo, and Peggle will be 99 cents tonight. I've never heard of that site but it seems accurate judging by some previous sales.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone vouch for this site???

Shadowgun, World of Goo, Peggle just dropped to 99 cents. Scribblenauts Remix hasn't yet if it is.

Edit: Scribblenauts Remix is now 99 cents!

[quote name='Wario64']Shadowgun, World of Goo, Peggle just dropped to 99 cents. Scribblenauts Remix hasn't yet if it is.

Edit: Scribblenauts Remix is now 99 cents![/QUOTE]

shows 4.99 when you search, but once you go into the app, its .99

sure beats the hell out of the DS version when it came out at $30

Contre Jour HD is .99 as well!

Bought Contre Jour and Scribblenauts ... I almost both of these the other day at full price. Glad I waited.

[quote name='Wario64']Shadowgun, World of Goo, Peggle just dropped to 99 cents. Scribblenauts Remix hasn't yet if it is.

Edit: Scribblenauts Remix is now 99 cents![/QUOTE]

Awesome! Always wanted to try this game but didn't wanna fork over $20 for the DS version. Thanks for posting!

Just bought Scribblenauts for a buck. Didn't imagine that would go down as fast as it has, for that much. Very happy!

Does Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light use a virtual dpad/joystick control scheme? Or is it point-where-you-want-to-go?

Definitely glad I waited on Shadowgun at $.99 it's a no brainer when it comes to purchasing. Already had Scribblenauts so unfortunately won't benefit from that. Thanks!

[quote name='bickle']Does Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light use a virtual dpad/joystick control scheme? Or is it point-where-you-want-to-go?[/QUOTE]

Duel stick, left one to move, right one to aim/shoot.

[quote name='bickle']Bummer :([/QUOTE]

The dual virtual stick scheme isn't always all bad. I recently started playing Dungeon Hunter 2 HD (great dungeon crawler and the closest you'll get to Torchlight on iPad) and greatly preferred the stick format so I could at least always be on the move rather than having to move my hands and tapping all the time. On the small iPhone screen, however, I could see your thumbs using up a lot of real estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back