iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Shadowgun, Contre Jour HD, Lara Croft Guardian of Light (iPhone version, no way I'm paying 5x more for iPad version even if I only have an iPad and no iPhone), and Grand Prix Story (still haven't even played Game Dev Story, but I've been collecting these games at $.99 ea). Thanks everyone for the heads up on sales.

And what do I end up playing the most... Puzzle Quest HD that was $1.99 the other day. I had already played through Puzzle Quest 2 and loved it, but I'm thinking the first one is even better.

Not so much a deal, but anyone who likes Puzzle Quest absolutely needs to check out Dungeon Raid; I think it's $2.99 normally and occasionally dips lower, but it's an amazing mashup of the "puzzle RPG" setup with more of a roguelike approach. It runs far faster and smoother than either PQ has ever run on iPhone, and it lends itself way more to being able to play for either 2 minutes or an hour straight.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Shadowgun worth a buck?[/QUOTE]

Interested in this too. I keep seeing people who have never played the game say its great...but have yet to see anyone that claims to have actually played the game say its any good. So far iv found pretty much every action/shooter game on the IPad to be pure sucktitude.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Interested in this too. I keep seeing people who have never played the game say its great...but have yet to see anyone that claims to have actually played the game say its any good. So far iv found pretty much every action/shooter game on the IPad to be pure sucktitude.[/QUOTE]

Frak do I pull the trigger on Shadowgun, saw gameplay videos and it looks amazing but the gameplay looks boring.

[quote name='crookshow']Street Fighter IV Volt was just reduced to $0.99! Currently says item is being modified when I try to buy it tho...[/QUOTE]

works fine for me :applause:

Got the second one thanks, also got Scribblenauts and Street Fighter for 99c each.

That's amazing considering I got my 4s yesterday.

EDIT: Just picked up Shadowgun and Peggle also, thanks CAG!

Holysmokes, so many decent titles on sale for a buck . . . I've got to do some major housecleaning to wipe off enough room to load up at least a couple of the new titles I've purchased lately. In the meantime, here's a new freebie with a decidedly smaller footprint:
FlipShip — "In FlipShip, your goal is deceptively simple: tilt your device to move towards enemies of the same color, then let your ship’s automatic firing function take care of the rest. But watch out! Destroying enemies will raise your combo, but it won’t score you points. For that you’ll need to tap the screen, “flipping” your ship into its opposite color and flipping your enemies from predators to prey. Of course, “flipping” also reduces your combo back to zero, so you’ll want to see just how long you can hang on without tapping that screen."

And, from the same folks who gave us Shadowgun, comes BloodyXmas 2010. FREE for the first time, so you can get into the holiday spirit. Or at least the spirit of mayhem.
"This festive season, in such a joyous family time, even the kindest grandpa in the world has to start his chainsaw!
Creatures are rushing into Santa's workshop and they want to steal and destroy all the presents!
What can poor Santa do? How can he stop these evil minions?
Yeah, guess what - he kicks their asses and teaches them a lesson!
Here comes the funniest, funnest Christmas ever!
Check out Santa's arsenal: cleaver, saber, sledgehammer, chainsaw, and one massive secret super weapon.
No one's gonna steal the children's presents! Come and get some!
HO HO HO! Happy Holidays! Santa Slays!"

scribblenauts, shadowgun and contre jour, wow, 3 AAA games for 3 bucks, no wonder nintendo is taking a dive..

BTW, Fry's has ITunes cards for 20% off.

Scribblenauts and Grand Prix Story for me. Shadowgun...eh. Not interested in FPS for the ios until we get a controller.
Contre Jour HD is just a universal version, right? Nothing else added?

[quote name='doodofdoods']Scribblenauts and Grand Prix Story for me. Shadowgun...eh. Not interested in FPS for the ios until we get a controller.
Contre Jour HD is just a universal version, right? Nothing else added?[/QUOTE]

I dont know if it'll sway you at all but shadowgun is a 3rd person shooter

and damn you scribblenauts, I just bought it not long ago at full price not expecting a sale this soon :bomb:

How would you guys rank the Kairosoft games? I like Game Dev, but wasn't as enamored with Mega Mall or Hot Springs. Specifically, I was wondering where Grand Prix would rank, since it's on sale for .99 currently.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I dont know if it'll sway you at all but shadowgun is a 3rd person shooter

and damn you scribblenauts, I just bought it not long ago at full price not expecting a sale this soon :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Save your money for the eventual EPOCH sale, it's SO much more fun than Shadowgun IMHO. For the platform it's on EPOCH>>>>>Shadowgun. If this were a console, I would say jump on Shadowgun. EPOCH is like something that would be born if Infinity Blade made love to RAGE and then inseminated a robot host with the lovechild. :razz:

I had a hard time getting into Hot Springs Story... in fact I don't know that I need more than Game Dev Story, which I was thoroughly addicted to. It seems like they are starting to churn these out.... any recommendations for pick up Grand Prix Story? Or is it just more of the same?

My Kairo ranking:

Mega Mall
Grand Prix
Game Dev
Hot Springs/Pocket Academy
- haven't played Oh! Edo Towns

Grand Prix is much more along the lines of Game Dev Story, no worrying about placement or combos, just making cars and racing them.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I had a hard time getting into Hot Springs Story... in fact I don't know that I need more than Game Dev Story, which I was thoroughly addicted to. It seems like they are starting to churn these out.... any recommendations for pick up Grand Prix Story? Or is it just more of the same?[/QUOTE]

Never got into Hot Springs or MegaMall but I loved Game Dev Story and really enjoyed GP Story too. It's similar in style to Game Dev. It's worth dropping .99c on.

iOS games are the impulse buys of gaming.
spent most of my free money on Skyrim but saw these sales and got Scribblenauts as a definite and figure Contre Jour and that Lara Croft Guadian of Light thing.
Stocking up for my incoming 4S

[quote name='paulcalypse']Any thoughts on bumpy road? It's on sale today for $0.99[/QUOTE]

I wanted to love Bumpy Road because the art style is awesome and the concept is clever, but in practice I don't really find it all that fun. Oh well.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wanted to love Bumpy Road because the art style is awesome and the concept is clever, but in practice I don't really find it all that fun. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Kind of same feeling here. It was fun at first, but the novelty of it wore off pretty quickly. A lot of people raved about the game though, so I guess it's a matter of taste. It's no longer on my iPod Touch, but I may give it another go one of these days.

I would have felt ripped off if I had paid full price for SFIV Volt. I wasn't expecting the controls to be great or anything, but damn if this game isn't borderline unplayable to anyone above a casual skill level. That being said, the novelty of having SSFIV on my phone was worth a buck.

I still don't have my Iphone 4S yet but I've been stocking up on these game sales.

When I get home I'm buying
Scribblenauts
Laura Croft
ShadowGun
World of Goo
Peggle
Contre Jour
and Street Fighter IV Volt.

All for only $7 this is just awesome. I can't wait until I get my phone. Apple needs to get more of these out into the market ASAP. I want my phone already.

PS I'm on the wait list with Sprint I'm just waiting for the new shipment to arrive.

[quote name='Jmclark']Got my iPhone 4S today! 16GB white on Verizon, can't wait to get some sweet games.[/QUOTE]

lol, i have a hard time figuring out what to delete on my 32gig iPad, don't know how you can manage with only 16gb(13 usable).

[quote name='xplode427']I have two momento codes I want to trade for jet pack joyride and how to cool everything. Pm me![/QUOTE]
PM Sent

[quote name='Alcedes']lol, i have a hard time figuring out what to delete on my 32gig iPad, don't know how you can manage with only 16gb(13 usable).[/QUOTE]

Same here. I went for the 64gb 4S, it's only $100 more.

[quote name='Jmclark']Got my iPhone 4S today! 16GB white on Verizon, can't wait to get some sweet games.[/QUOTE]

I would highly suggest you return it for a 32GB model. At first I thought it was pointless too until you have to start deleting apps. Many games can be 300mb and more.

Puffle Launch is the main FAAD game right now.
"IT'S TIME TO BLAST OFF! - A high speed hero, mischievous enemy, and fast paced action.
Everything you love about Club Penguin’s Puffle Launch game is now available anywhere you go. Launch your extreme pet puffle and find the fiery prize in each of the 24 high speed levels! Dodge crazy obstacles, battle the cranky crab who has stolen all your snacks, and discover amazing surprises! Collect Puffle O’s, unlock Time Trial, Turbo and Slo-Mo Modes, and earn tons of virtual coins to transfer to clubpenguin.com!
Ready to feel the rush and settle the score? Go ahead, daredevil. Blast off and go get ‘em!"

Tower Town
is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Build a thriving metropolis one tower at a time!
Fill your town with Luxe Living Spaces and everything from Taco Shops
and Burger Joints to Movie Theaters and Bowling Alleys!! Attract new
citizens and create amazing towers to earn bonuses!"

Not a game, but a potentially useful app, Universal Breathing – Pranayama has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Stressed? Balance your life and experience a relaxed meditative state to relieve your daily stresses and tensions. Pranayama's simple and intuitive guide to deep breathing features a progressive course based on the principles of yoga, to help you find balance and stress relief.
Combining the power of breath with technology, Pranayama is an easy way of improving your health and reducing stress. Using music and animated visuals to guide you to slower deeper breathing, Pranayama by Saagara enhances the way you feel and leaves you with more energy, stamina, and focus."

[quote name='flybrione']I still don't have my Iphone 4S yet but I've been stocking up on these game sales.

When I get home I'm buying
Scribblenauts
Laura Croft
ShadowGun
World of Goo
Peggle
Contre Jour
and Street Fighter IV Volt.

All for only $7 this is just awesome. I can't wait until I get my phone. Apple needs to get more of these out into the market ASAP. I want my phone already.

PS I'm on the wait list with Sprint I'm just waiting for the new shipment to arrive.[/QUOTE]

I just bought Shadowgun on sale today - very nice. It's like having Gears of War on my iPhone. I also grabbed a few others from this sale, but I've spent the most time playing Shadowgun.

Bought Grand Prix Story, Contre Jour HD and Scribblenauts for $1 each. I was tempted on Shadowgun but I know I would just be disappointed after playing like 150 hours of Gears of War 3, hehe. Also, reviews say that it's buggy and most of the gameplay is boring/repetitive.

Edit: God damn I have no self-control. I bought it anyway, lol. $1 was too good to pass up for a game that looks this good (graphically), especially since it's universal and my dad just won an iPad 2 recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back