iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to download the PC software before I download the App from the App Store itself. Because people are complaining that the app for the PC is downloading slow.

This is a sweet deal.

Guys, buy this now! It is already the #1 highest grossing app overnight. Carriers normally charge $20 a month to include tethering on a plan but this is a one time fee of $15 so you can use your Mac or PC anywhere with your iPhone's 3G connection. The way I look at it, hotels charge $10 a day for Internet use so even if you use it twice, it is still worth it. I can't wait to go to Central Park in the summer and browse in the shade.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/29...et-tethering-on-your-iphone-for-one-time-fee/

Tether is an application that allows your Mac and PC to take advantage of your smartphone's data plan, providing you access to the Internet on your laptop anywhere there is cellular coverage from your smartphone.

Tether is easy to install, easy to use, works practically anywhere, and is very cost-effective.

Running both apps on your iPhone and your Mac allows your Mac to use your iPhone's internet connection over a USB cable (no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth support). Apple has traditionally not allowed such applications to become available on the App Store due to agreements with carriers.

Back in 2008, Apple briefly approved another tethering app called Netshare but quickly pulled it from the App Store. Instead, users have been expected to pay additional fees to U.S. carriers such as AT&T and Verizon who offer tethering as an add-on service for $20/month. The approval of iTether may have been inadvertent by Apple again and could be pulled at any time. It is presently available in the App Store for $14.99. As in the case of Netshare, if Apple does pull the app from the App Store, it should continue to work for those who bought it.

Tether offers a similar app for both BlackBerry and Android platforms and has been reviewed in the NYTimes and Entrepreneur.com.

That tether app is interesting, but I want a hotspot I can use with devices other than my computer. Also I wouldn't want to pay that much, have it pulled, then break with the next OS update. So while I still may get it, I'm going to see if this is a change of policy at Apple. If they let it stay, then I'll probably buy it.

EDIT: apparently the dev says they were very clear with Apple about what it does, so maybe this one is for keeps? Still going to wait it out a few days and see what happens.

I went ahead and bit on iTether. Site is slower than death right now, but I was finally able to download the Mac client. I like the idea of being able to create my own wi-fi hotspot by using it coupled with Sharing on my MacBook. Fun times indeed!

[quote name='Dimsdale']I went ahead and bit on iTether. Site is slower than death right now, but I was finally able to download the Mac client. I like the idea of being able to create my own wi-fi hotspot by using it coupled with Sharing on my MacBook. Fun times indeed![/QUOTE]

How well does it work?

Scribblenauts Remix has dropped back to $2.99. Not 99 cents, but if you missed it before, perhaps worth picking up at that price?

http://appshopper.com/games/scribblenauts-remix

[quote name='crunchewy']How well does it work?[/QUOTE]
I don't have my laptop with me at the moment. I'll try it out when I get a chance this evening and I'll let you know.

Here's a nifty thread, ideal for those freebie iOS codes, what with being in the FREE STUFF forum and all:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307085

No need to post here that you put something there either. Folks just check the appropriate thread and see if anything has been added. So cool! ;)

Michael Schacht's Gold has dropped to 99 cents:

http://appshopper.com/games/michael-schachts-gold

I like this game, but highly recommend that it be played on iPad. On the iPhone you can only play 2 players (no multiplayer, only vs. CPU) and as a 2 player game it's way too easy. With 3 players it's more challenging.

[quote name='Cimpy101']How To Cook Everything Codes:
9NX74394J7EW
ENNYAE3W69HJ
JATN44XKJTYX[/QUOTE]

All have been used... AGAIN! But thanks for the up - Cimpy101

I could use a "How To Cook" code via PM if anyone is feeling the holiday spirit... Thanks!

[quote name='McTwitch5']
I could use a "How To Cook" code via PM if anyone is feeling the holiday spirit... Thanks![/QUOTE]

Same here if anyone could spare one. Gave mine to my gf... Have a MadPad code to give in return if anyone's interested.

Hate that lurkers pull codes and don't even let people know they've been used OR thank the person that posted them. If anyone gets an extra cook everything code, I would appreciate one.

[quote name='Kendro']iTether got pulled from the App Store. Hope you guys got some downloads in.[/QUOTE]

dammit. I JUST bought an iphone last night, and didn't bother to feed my addiction to CAG. :whistle2:( This would have been so handy.

Are the madpad codes at starbucks? That looks like one my son would have a good time with. Hopefully I can find one.

[EDIT] Thanks to the generous CAGers that sent me a code. You guys made my day :D

[quote name='porieux']If I was going to tether I would want to tether my wi-fi iPad to my iPhone, so no dice anyway I suppose.[/QUOTE]

This was why I didnt buy it. I have no use for physical tethering, but would love to turn my phone into a hotspot

[quote name='jacknicklson']This was why I didnt buy it. I have no use for physical tethering, but would love to turn my phone into a hotspot[/QUOTE]

You can if you pay the tethering fee. You can start and stop the service on a month-by-month basis. It sucks that we have to pay for it, but there you go. You can also jailbreak and use MyWi, but I'm not jailbroken any more and don't miss it... aside from MyWi.

[quote name='crunchewy']You can if you pay the tethering fee. You can start and stop the service on a month-by-month basis. It sucks that we have to pay for it, but there you go. [/QUOTE]

This would be a very bad idea for me as I would lose my unlimited data plan.

[quote name='porieux']This would be a very bad idea for me as I would lose my unlimited data plan.[/QUOTE]

Same here
Thanks for the info though crunch

Speaking of unlimited plans, do those transfer over to 4s purchases? I've got unlimited that was transferred over to my 3gs, will it transfer again if I upgrade?

[quote name='porieux']This would be a very bad idea for me as I would lose my unlimited data plan.[/QUOTE]

Yup, AT&T is shooting themselves in the foot with that policy. If I were to make any changes to my contract, it would be to add things like tethering, but I'm not going to lose my unlimited data for it. So they lose, I guess. I don't really need tethering that badly anyway.

[quote name='arcane93']Yup, AT&T is shooting themselves in the foot with that policy. If I were to make any changes to my contract, it would be to add things like tethering, but I'm not going to lose my unlimited data for it. So they lose, I guess. I don't really need tethering that badly anyway.[/QUOTE]

No... it would be really bad for them to let you keep the unlimited plan AND have tethering. Much better to have the 4gig cap than implicitly say you can download full ps3 games or whatever with it.

When I was using iPad with unlimited data (after they got rid of the unlim plan after like two fucking weeks) I monitored my usage very closely... even downloading a bunch of albums with goodreader and using the thing as my primary home internet I only used like 2.1gig in my most heavy month. It was just super annoying that I could only download small games! Ridic.

Anyone test out iTether? All I can say is out of all my BF purchases (both the Xbox 360 and PS3 holiday bundles and a 24" Dell IPS LED monitor), iTether is my greatest purchase this year (until AT&T somehow catches on and screws me over). All you gotta do is open the app on your iPhone, then open the app on your laptop, and it automatically connects. Fire up your browser and start browsing.

I get a good 5Mbps in my area so browsing on my laptop pretty much flies, especially for a small hotspot like the iPhone. The app for the computer basically gives connection status and also gives info on how many megabytes you downloaded. I can now see why carriers have so many problems with unlimited abusers. One webpage from Joystiq has about 2MB worth of data and IGN has close to 3MB.

I usually cap out at 1GB per month for my unlimited plan so even if I abused this, I probably won't even touch 2GB. Plus I live in NYC so there is Wi-Fi everywhere but this will really come in handy during road trips or when I'm staying a hotel.

Well, crap. . .I forgot my old MacBook at home is an ancient PowerPC model. I downloaded the iTether app and it installed just fine. Unfortunately, it's an Intel-only program, so it can't run on my notebook. Phooey. Oh well, at least I've got the components handy in case I ever get another MacBook (or feel like being masochistic and decide to experiment on the wife's HP notebook). I suppose I could also use it with my MacPro if our U-Verse connection goes down and I need 'net access.

i tested the itether app with my HP and it works great. in the past, AT$T has sent letters telling those who have unlimited data plans and also tether telling them to essentially choose one or the other and either sign something that says they wont tether anymore, or they will be automatically switched to a tethering plan with a data cap. i do have unlimited, but i also read that this app disguises the data to show up as normal data and not tether data.

that being said, I will rarely be using this as i basically always have wifi available (which is usually faster than 3G), or i don't have my laptop with me and I can just use the 3G on my iphone. i did jump on buying the app though, as I know how rare it is for a tether app to appear in the app store and this will be handy when im at the airport or in hotels.

[quote name='crunchewy']You can if you pay the tethering fee. You can start and stop the service on a month-by-month basis. It sucks that we have to pay for it, but there you go. You can also jailbreak and use MyWi, but I'm not jailbroken any more and don't miss it... aside from MyWi.[/QUOTE]

TetherMe is better as it uses the phone's built in hotspot capability and doesn't show up as an Ad-Hoc network.

[quote name='flyersfan8']must have been pulled already, not in the app store[/QUOTE]

Yes, it only lasted several hours before Apple yanked it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Zen's Pinball FX is out. Free with Sorcerer's Lair. Other tables as DLC (currently Captain America and Wolverine for $1.99 each): http://appshopper.com/games/zen-pinball It's Universal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks crunc, probably in for both of the Marvel tables. How do they compare to the console version? You are too damn good at this game on the :360: by the way, would like to here your thoughts on the iOS version.

[quote name='etcrane']Speaking of unlimited plans, do those transfer over to 4s purchases? I've got unlimited that was transferred over to my 3gs, will it transfer again if I upgrade?[/QUOTE]
It does. Transferred our unlimited plan from our old 3G without issue.

Picked up Zen Pinball. Can't wait to play it. I have the Marvel tables on PSN, and love them. I'll probably wait for them to drop in price on iOS. I do love me some pinball, especially from Zen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back