Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like Zuma, try Spaceballs, it does seem a little easy though and it is extremely barebones. Atlantis Sky Patrol is better and that one has been free in the past, but I have had some control issues with that, I think that mouse or controller is the best way to play these Zuma-clones.

If you're a shmups fan, you have to pick up the free Warblade demo (http://appshopper.com/games/warblade-free). This is the 21st Century update of oldschool classics like Galaga and Galaxian with tons of power ups, bonus items, bonus levels, etc. A full-length release is supposedly in the works, but until then this 25-level teaser is well worth the download. Highly recommended for mindless shooting fun.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Does anyone know if its possible to delete the " Stocks " app ?[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can delete it but you can move it to one of the "additional" pages (either on your device or through iTunes) to free up its slot. There were a few tutorials on how to add additional pages (beyond the allotted 11) back on the pre-archived version of this forum.

Conversely, I moved my Safari browser to one of my extra pages a long time ago and it got bumped into oblivion when I exceeded 14 pages worth of apps. I cleared off a bunch of programs but I still can't access it unless I do a search. It doesn't even show up in my Apps list in iTunes even though it's still installed on my Touch. Anyone know how I can get this sucker back into the land of the living?

[quote name='Dimsdale']I don't think you can delete it but you can move it to one of the "additional" pages (either on your device or through iTunes) to free up its slot. There were a few tutorials on how to add additional pages (beyond the allotted 11) back on the pre-archived version of this forum.

Conversely, I moved my Safari browser to one of my extra pages a long time ago and it got bumped into oblivion when I exceeded 14 pages worth of apps. I cleared off a bunch of programs but I still can't access it unless I do a search. It doesn't even show up in my Apps list in iTunes even though it's still installed on my Touch. Anyone know how I can get this sucker back into the land of the living?[/QUOTE]

I think the only way is to Restore your device via iTunes :bomb::whistle2:#:bomb::whistle2:#

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Does anyone know if its possible to delete the " Stocks " app ?[/QUOTE]

Nope..but if you are jailbroken you can easily hide the icon for it...

[quote name='Malik112099']Nope..but if you are jailbroken you can easily hide the icon for it...[/QUOTE]

I am already jailbroken, Do you think I can just SSH into the phone an remove all the APP info ? I was too scared to do it because I didnt want to corrupt system files and stuff :whistle2:#

[quote name='mailman27']Just saw an announcement for a Lite version of GTA that includes the 1st 3 missions.[/QUOTE]

yeah I got that a twitter update also :D

Looks like it is already up on the store and weighs in at 144 megabytes. Sorry for not having a link but I'm posting from my phone.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I am already jailbroken, Do you think I can just SSH into the phone an remove all the APP info ? I was too scared to do it because I didnt want to corrupt system files and stuff :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

If you can hide it, why not just hide it? Those of you with jailbroken iPhones, I keep thinking about doing that, but I find it a bit scary. Also I'm going to want to upgrade to 4.0 when that's out. I presume if I jailbreak I won't be able to upgrade to 4.0 - is that correct? If so I guess I'll just wait it out.

[quote name='crunchewy']If you can hide it, why not just hide it? Those of you with jailbroken iPhones, I keep thinking about doing that, but I find it a bit scary. Also I'm going to want to upgrade to 4.0 when that's out. I presume if I jailbreak I won't be able to upgrade to 4.0 - is that correct? If so I guess I'll just wait it out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you wont be able to upgrade, but knowing GeoHotz he will have a method about 2-4 weeks afterwards ;) . Plus I had to jailbreak because I am a T-Mobile user :bomb:

But overall it is definitely worth it, I am actually playing a Quake 3 port as I type lol

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']EPIC FAIL !! Splinter Cell Conviction cost $13.99[/QUOTE]

That's the New Zealand price. Translates to $10 US.

[quote name='TheRock88']That's the New Zealand price. Translates to $10 US.[/QUOTE]

oh okay nevermind lol. I was wandering why they could make it an even $10 or God forbid an even $15...

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I am already jailbroken, Do you think I can just SSH into the phone an remove all the APP info ? I was too scared to do it because I didnt want to corrupt system files and stuff :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

BAAAAAAD idea....just hide it using SBSettings or if you dont have that (EVERY jailbroken touch/iphone should have it) just download poof and hide it with that....very simple to do and if you ever want to use it just search for it on the search page and itll pop right up

[quote name='crunchewy']If you can hide it, why not just hide it? Those of you with jailbroken iPhones, I keep thinking about doing that, but I find it a bit scary. Also I'm going to want to upgrade to 4.0 when that's out. I presume if I jailbreak I won't be able to upgrade to 4.0 - is that correct? If so I guess I'll just wait it out.[/QUOTE]

You can upgrade but you wont be able to jailbreak until they figure it out on 4.0 which shouldnt be too long since the beta has already been jailbroken

[quote name='shumway']It DOES do the homemade recipe feature as well. To get there:

More -> Edit Food & Exercises -> Recipes.

I've never tried FitDay so I don't know if it is more unwieldy, etc, but the Recipes work well, provided you pay attention to what your ultimate serving size is as well as how many total servings you've made.[/QUOTE]

Cool! I guess I haven't dug deep enough into it!

Purchased Devil Invasion. It's a good mix of puzzle quest and a tower defense game. Very hard game, even on easy. I think if I found a better skill set it might be a bit easier, but it's good none the less. I would definitely recommend it for a buck if you like puzzle quest

It's really quite easy to jailbreak. You just download a program and it does it for you in a matter of a few minutes. There really is no chance of bricking it as it can always simply be restored. As for upgrading to 4.0, jailbreaking wouldn't prevent you from upgrading per se, but if you were to upgrade the ipod would no longer be jailbroken.

I can second the recommendation of Devil Invasion. I picked it up back when it was free. It really is a very addictive game, definitely worth a buck.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']It's really quite easy to jailbreak. You just download a program and it does it for you in a matter of a few minutes. There really is no chance of bricking it as it can always simply be restored. As for upgrading to 4.0, jailbreaking wouldn't prevent you from upgrading per se, but if you were to upgrade the ipod would no longer be jailbroken.

I can second the recommendation of Devil Invasion. I picked it up back when it was free. It really is a very addictive game, definitely worth a buck.[/QUOTE]

Are you 100% certain there's no chance of bricking it? That just sounds too good to be true...

[quote name='chrisnsally']Are you 100% certain there's no chance of bricking it? That just sounds too good to be true...[/QUOTE]

You honestly cannot brick it, you just have to make sure you have a jailbrakebale firmware ;)

I guess you could call me a complete douche but in college ( 1 year ago ) I used to charge my friends $15 for me to jailbreak lol. But it literally only takes about 1-3 minutes

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Purchased Devil Invasion. It's a good mix of puzzle quest and a tower defense game. Very hard game, even on easy. I think if I found a better skill set it might be a bit easier, but it's good none the less. I would definitely recommend it for a buck if you like puzzle quest[/QUOTE]

I really like the game. It is definitely hard. I had to basically grind on the lower levels to get my skills high enough for the hard battles. Even then I had to be super fast at making matches. The balance needs to be tweaked, but I enjoyed the challenge.

[quote name='chrisnsally']Are you 100% certain there's no chance of bricking it? That just sounds too good to be true...[/QUOTE]

I just recently jailbroke mine iPod touch using the new Spirit 3.1.3 jalbreak. You download the program, connect the iPod and hit the button. Takes approximately 4 seconds to be complete. Worked perfectly with no issues whatsoever.

Personally however, I think I am about to put mine back to normal. I have been getting horrid battery life after jailbreaking mine. It gets decent life in safe mode, but then that defeats the purpose so just going back to normal and hoping 4.0 bring some good changes.

EA is having another sale.

Tetris - $2.99
Spore Creatures - $1.99
Game of Life - $1.99
Scrabble - $2.99
Trivial Pursuit - $2.99
Mystery Mania - $0.99
NFS Shift - $4.99
Simcity - $1.99
Sims 3 - $4.99
Sims 3 World Adventures - $4.99
Skate It - $4.99
FIFA 2010 - $4.99
Battleship - $0.99
Simpsons Arcade - $0.99

Today's Free App a Day new feature is 2360: Battle for Cydonia (mentioned above).

OpenFeint is showcasing Captain Glyph (http://itunes.apple.com/app/captain-glyph/id366277642?mt=8).

Great App a Day has Sudoku 2 (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/sudoku-2/).

Free App Calendar is showing Tank Wars (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=200).

Your bonus freebie is a new release called Barbarians (http://appshopper.com/games/barbarians). Also, Solomon's Keep is back down to .99 (http://appshopper.com/games/solomons-keep).

anyone know if its possible yet to unlock 3.1.3 on the iphone yet? don't care about jailbreaking as most apps cost a few dollars. But i freaking hate at&t and really want to switch

i bought solomon's keep and DL'd the free games from today. Thanks.

I'm hoping I like Solomon's keep. That was my last 1.00 on my iTunes card lol

Those saying there's no risk of bricking (from jailbreaking)... you seem to be talking about iPod touches. I'm talking about an iPhone 3GS. Aren't there more risks with the iPhone, or have I been getting bad info? Also, can you revert back to normal *without* restoring? At least in the past, restoring meant losing progress in most games since that data doesn't get backed up.

Another free puzzler game for you. Togglem has dropped from $1.99 to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/togglem/id323743340?mt=8).

"The Toggles need your help. Use this small window into their world to “switch” them. If you allow too many Toggles to pass through your viewer, the signal into their world will be lost. The only way to restore the signal's strength is to attain the “Target Score”.

You can select an individual Toggle or a group of the same color / heart shape. The more Toggles you switch in a single selection, the higher your score will be and the faster you can reach your Target Score. However, with every new Target Score, the scroll speed increases, making it more challenging to switch the Toggles.

You can only make rectangular selections and all the Toggles within the selection must be the same color / heart shape, to switch. How many Toggles can you switch before you lose the signal into their world?"

Not a sale, but Adult Swim's 'Robot Unicorn Attack' is coming to iPhone for $3 in June.

http://kotaku.com/5548193/erasure-and-robot-unicorns-make-sweet-love-on-your-iphone

In terms of controls, its fairly simplistic, like Canabalt (though I think you do two things -- jump and dash -- versus Canabalt's one thing). Also like Canabalt, you can play the flash version on the web for free, but if you dig the game, it might be worth $3 to you to play it on the go.

[quote name='TheRock88']Alive 4 Ever Returns dropped to $0.99

http://appshopper.com/games/alive-4-ever-returns[/QUOTE]
Sweet! I wanted to bite on this when it came out but the CAG in me knew better. Of course, I'll buy it and it'll probably go free for a special one-day-only promotional. Oh well, I'll take that chance. As long as it's on sale, I'm good. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='TheRock88']Alive 4 Ever Returns dropped to $0.99

http://appshopper.com/games/alive-4-ever-returns[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the $1.99 price was promotional enough until the first update hit. Man, I wonder if sales of this game aren't going so well. Glad I didn't jump on it for $1.99 - $.99 I think I can justify, even if I haven't played much of the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back