iPhone on Verizon thread... (It's no longer speculation.)

Thanks for your relpy. I am signing a new 2 year contract. I just wanted to see if maybe something better than the iphone is already available. I'd be willing to bet they'll give decent deals on the other phones once the iphone launches.

I honestly would prefer a phone that WORKS fine for more than 30 days. I think I am totally done with LG after the last two flops I've had. Reception has been good but Moto has been impressing me with their phone sizes. If this is just the Iphone 4 on VZW, then I would just stick with anything else with far superior hardware. Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution. God knows what Verizon is going to do to cripple the iphone anyways.

[quote name='Darknyss']Probably a newer Android phone:

If you want/need a physical keyboard there's the Droid 2 or Droid Pro. Both have Moto's p.o.s. Blur UI so you'll likely want to download LauncherPro or ADW.

Droid X is another option is you don't want a keyboard. It has a 4.3" screen which means the device is bigger but the tradeoff is you're getting a huge screen. It also has the shitty Blur UI.

HTC's Incredible is a very good phone. It has the Sense UI, which in my opinion isn't as bad as Blur. It has a smaller form factor as well. The phone came out last spring so it's not exactly bleeding edge but still holds up to VZW's other Android offerings.

Finally, there's the Samsung Fascinate. It comes preinstalled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The hardware is great spec-wise, but Samsung/VZW really neutered the software by installing Bing over Google.

Are you signing a 2 year contract? Why not just wait a few more weeks for the iPhone? It should be available on Feb 3rd.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lawhorns04']Thanks for your relpy. I am signing a new 2 year contract. I just wanted to see if maybe something better than the iphone is already available. I'd be willing to bet they'll give decent deals on the other phones once the iphone launches.[/QUOTE]

It really comes down to personal preference. Go to an Apple store and try out the iphone. Go to a verizon store and try out the droid/BB phones. Get whichever one you like best.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Like I said before, no one really gives a fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. who the fuck cares anymore?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ITDEFX'] Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution.[/QUOTE]

images

Congratulations, I have a new sig.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Like I said before, no one really gives a fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the fuck cares anymore?[/QUOTE]

I do. In Tucson I've never had one problem with AT&T and my iPhone. But I've been in Vegas for CES since Thursday and AT&T blows up here. I've had the worst time getting anything to work. I'll be going back to Verizon for sure, plus, it lets me get back on the same plan with my wife to save some money.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Like I said before, no one really gives a fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the fuck cares anymore?[/QUOTE]

Let's see what you think of that statement when the lines are back at the Apple and Verizon stores Feb. 3rd.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean people don't.

[quote name='lawhorns04']I have a Iphone currently, but I essentially got it for free from my old job. I absolutely hate ATT service and never had a problem with VZN, so I can't wait to go back. What current VZN phone would you get instead of the iphone?

I'm not trying to start some stupid war over what is better. I'd just like to know what y'all would recommend so that I can check it out before I go back to the iphone. Even better would be if I found a better phone that was then on sale b/c of the iphone release.

So you know, I never talk on the iphone since ATT can't give me a call without dropping it. I text a decent amount, and one of the things I have liked about the iphone was that the screen was very responsive compared to the BB storm that I had before it. I definitely use the phone as my ipod, and my 32 gig iphone is full. Other than that, I may take a photo here and there and use the internet occasionally.

So what do y'all recommend?[/QUOTE]

I would recommend you hold off until the next generation of phones comes out (it will be 1Q or early 2Q) because the hardware will be significantly better than what's been out the past year. I have Verizon and the original Motorola Droid and over a year later, it still runs like a champ. But I'll also add that I've taken the time to learn how to root and install custom roms to stay ahead of the OTA updates.. but I'm on 2.2.1 which is the most current OTA update anyway.

I'll champion Android phones based on the fact that it is designed with customization and flexibility in mind versus Apples interface which seems to be designed around being simple and universal. I believe they both accomplish what they set out to do extremely well but it will come down to whether you feel like you might want to tinker with your phone.. and if you do, the android community is absolutely great with their support.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ITDEFX']God knows what Verizon is going to do to cripple the iphone anyways.[/QUOTE]
You really have no idea what you're talking about so it's probably a good idea to just stop.

[quote name='QiG']
I'll champion Android phones based on the fact that it is designed with customization and flexibility in mind versus Apples interface which seems to be designed around being simple and universal. I believe they both accomplish what they set out to do extremely well but it will come down to whether you feel like you might want to tinker with your phone.. and if you do, the android community is absolutely great with their support.[/QUOTE]

I'm mixed on which I prefer there honestly. I'm not much a tinkerer, and like stuff that just works--especially when it comes to phones.

With the iPad (my girlfriend has one) I hate the lack of flexibility, having to use iTunes etc., not sure I'd mind with a phone that I was just using for calls, texts some light web browsing/e-mail and random apps.

[quote name='Darknyss']You really have no idea what you're talking about so it's probably a good idea to just stop.[/QUOTE]

The scary thing is he's a teacher...

I honestly don't think this is going to be as big as everyone thinks. Most people who really want an iphone, and I mean those whose first worry is the phone, probably already have one through AT&T. Everyone else who saw AT&T and ran away screaming probably already bought something on another network and signed a contract.

[quote name='Clak']I honestly don't think this is going to be as big as everyone thinks. Most people who really want an iphone, and I mean those whose first worry is the phone, probably already have one through AT&T. Everyone else who saw AT&T and ran away screaming probably already bought something on another network and signed a contract.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Pretty much all my friends and family are on Verizon and a lot of them are always saying how they want an iPhone but don't want to leave Verizon because the coverage is great and all their friends and family are on it and they don't want to lose the free in network calling etc.

There will probably be some waiting on contracts to expire etc. though for sure. Mines up in a few months so I'll give it some thought. Still just not sure I can justify paying for a data plan given how seldom I'd use the 3G since I'm not on the go much these days.

I'm pretty torn on this news. I have a Blackberry Tour now, which I'm not very fond of, and my current plan is up in March. I was planning on getting some sort of Droid. I already have an iPod touch and I do love it. But do I want an iPhone in addition to my iPod touch or do I just want something different in the form of a Droid? I guess I could sell my iPod touch and get an iPhone because I already know how awesome it is but the Droid looks really cool. At least with an iPhone I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='dohdough']Not going to happen in Feb. No way, no how. Apple is still under exclusivity and unless Verizon shells out the money for timed exclusivity, it'll also go to T-mobile, which makes more sense considering the current technology used. The earliest timeframe I see is the usual annual iphone "update" and then release in Q3. This is assuming Apple has their LTE handset up and running right now, but for the iphone4, never going to happen. I hate how boygenius drums up hits with this crap.[/QUOTE]
not going to T-Mobile, especially since Verizon said they are willing to pay for a contract to have them and just ATT, noone else in the U.S.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Disagree. Pretty much all my friends and family are on Verizon and a lot of them are always saying how they want an iPhone but don't want to leave Verizon because the coverage is great and all their friends and family are on it and they don't want to lose the free in network calling etc.

There will probably be some waiting on contracts to expire etc. though for sure. Mines up in a few months so I'll give it some thought. Still just not sure I can justify paying for a data plan given how seldom I'd use the 3G since I'm not on the go much these days.[/QUOTE]
Depending on when it's released, it will most likely be a delayed reaction. for example, the original Motorola Droid was released just over a year ago on Verizon, so as old as that phone is now, those who signed a contract with it are still not due for an upgrade yet.

But if they won't leave Verizon for it then they aren't the hardcore fans that Apple thrives with. That's my point, the people who really love these things already have one, those left aren't the fanatics. They're the people who might give it a chance, but aren't necessarily in love with it enough to do anything to have it.

Verizon could of course forestall that problem by letting people tack a year or two on their existing contracts and still get a big discount on the iPhone.

And of course the fanatic market is already saturated. Their are no doubt very few Apple fanboys out there who don't have them. But there are still plenty of people on Verizon who'd like one, and that many more people Apple can sell phones and, subsequently, apps for.

That's basically where Apple is with it now--time to get on other carriers and sell to more than Apple diehards and AT&T customers to expand their market.

[quote name='JJSP']Word here at AT&T is 2/3 as well. Expect a CDMA iPhone 4 with the redesign again in June/July.[/QUOTE]

what does the second part mean??

I for one am VERY excited about hearing the "official word" this tuesday. I have been waiting quite a while for this. i bought an ipod touch about a year ago, and I absolutely love that thing. It goes everywhere I do. So I know I would LOVE an iphone. My "new every two" runs out on june 9th and if its availible I will have one on june 9th :)

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']I for one am VERY excited about hearing the "official word" this tuesday. I have been waiting quite a while for this. i bought an ipod touch about a year ago, and I absolutely love that thing. It goes everywhere I do. So I know I would LOVE an iphone. My "new every two" runs out on june 9th and if its availible I will have one on june 9th :)[/QUOTE]

this post is my life.. cept my new every two ran out in October and i held on knowing this would happen.

I'm with at&t, but since my employer was the one that had the line, I just got a new line with no contract. I could've gotten an iphone 4 with at&t when I got my new number, but I didn't want to be locked in to a horrible network.

I'm definitely going to go over to Verizon, and since the iphone has been good to me, I'll probably stick with it. I guess I need to go play with the droid X first though since you can get it for around $19.99

[quote name='Clak']Depending on when it's released, it will most likely be a delayed reaction. for example, the original Motorola Droid was released just over a year ago on Verizon, so as old as that phone is now, those who signed a contract with it are still not due for an upgrade yet.

But if they won't leave Verizon for it then they aren't the hardcore fans that Apple thrives with. That's my point, the people who really love these things already have one, those left aren't the fanatics. They're the people who might give it a chance, but aren't necessarily in love with it enough to do anything to have it.[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for this for years.

If they release it on the new LTE network right away, I'll pick one up now. Otherwise, I'll wait until the inevitable mid-year upgrade.

I'm still using Verizon on a Motorola Razr (damn thing's close to dying), and will be buying a Verizon iPhone when it comes out.

~HotShotX

I really hope Apple makes some major additions to the iPhone 4 in June. An iPhone 4GS will not cut it with the plethora of good Android phones out now, and coming down the pipeline.

Yeah, they really need an iPhone 5 at that point, and not an updated iPhone 4.

I definitely won't jump on an iPhone at Verizon launch. I want to see what comes out with Android phones this spring, what the next iPhone iteration is going to add etc., so I'd probably wait until summer or fall before getting a new phone.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they really need an iPhone 5 at that point, and not an updated iPhone 4.

I definitely won't jump on an iPhone at Verizon launch. I want to see what comes out with Android phones this spring, what the next iPhone iteration is going to add etc., so I'd probably wait until summer or fall before getting a new phone.[/QUOTE]
Same here. My contract is up this June and I'm seriously considering leaving VZW unless they give me the same data plan price I currently have...not paying triple of what I did just two years ago. I'm not overly impressed with the iPhone to begin with, but competition is good for everything, so it'll be interesting to see what the Droid side comes up with and what the VZW iPhone actually will have.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Apple forces carriers to control competition to any Apple devices. It seems that AT&T is suddenly getting these great Android phones right at the time they're about to lose exclusivity with Apple. The upcoming Android phones for Verizon are kinda lackluster, right at the time they're about to get the iPhone. Does Apple demand that the iPhone not have too much competition on a given carrier? Are they that afraid of competition?

The main problem I see with Android phones is not having a unified OS. Silly to fragment the market across so many iterations of their os. They need to make one and stick with it, updated it on all phones etc. if they want to ever compete with the iPhone App store etc.

They don't have control over any of that. Google is just a software publisher in the relationship, the phone manufacturers have to decide if they want to update the software. The only phones google directly can update are the Nexus One and Nexus S, because those are the actual google development phones.

Oh I know. Just saying that's what keeps anyone Android phone from being able to match the simplicity and App options of the iPhone as Android by nature is very fragmented.

It's going to take Google really getting in the Phone business, and making a kick ass phone that sells well and can rival the iPhone. The iPhone won't be seriously challenged by a myriad of different Android phones all with different versions of Android and different UIs.

But that's what most of us like, if they did that it would be a huge turn off. Not everyone likes the same UI, not everyone wants the same cookie cutter experience.

It kinda surprises me that Apple products are as popular as they are with the self expression crowd, because Apple locks their stuff down enough that it prevents making anyhting your own really.

Sure. But you're not the average phone user. Right now Android phones are more for the tech nerd crowd, and not the joe six packs that just want a phone that works and has a ton of apps etc. Android just won't have any one phone rival the iPad if they keep going that route.

Like I said, Ihate the apple lock down crap on something like the iPad, but really don't care for a phone that I'd just use 95% of the time for calls and texts, and the other 5% net, e-mail and games and news apps. For that simplicity is my main concern. For a tablet I need more flexiblity as I want to use it as reader and work tool.

Honestly doesn't seem like you really need a smartphone, nothing as expensive as an iPhone anyway.

Yeah, if I got one I'd just get the $15 limited data plan. But I lean toward just sticking with a regular phone. 95% of my time is spent at the office or home most days, and it's not that often that I'm out and about that I need/want internet or e-mail or apps.

But there are times I'd like to have it for looking up directions or reading the news in waiting rooms etc., but that's not really worth the data plan prices. If I start having to travel more for work again, then that would change things.

[quote name='DestroVega']what does the second part mean??[/QUOTE]
My apologies. I meant that I would expect the current iPhone 4 to be released early February with Verizon (same phone as AT&T has but CDMA). I'd also expect the next iPhone redesign (whether that's a 4S, 5, a true 4G/LTE model, etc.) to be released in June or July as has been standard to either AT&T, Verizon, or both.

In other words, skip the CDMA 4 and wait a few months to be sure they don't release a better one in June.

[quote name='JJSP']My apologies. I meant that I would expect the current iPhone 4 to be released early February with Verizon (same phone as AT&T has but CDMA). I'd also expect the next iPhone redesign (whether that's a 4S, 5, a true 4G/LTE model, etc.) to be released in June or July as has been standard to either AT&T, Verizon, or both.

In other words, skip the CDMA 4 and wait a few months to be sure they don't release a better one in June.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking VZW will get the iPhne 4 in a few weeks, and then ATT will get the iPhone 5 in June/July. I think ATT will have the iPhone 5 for some time of exclusivity. So maybe VZW gets the iPhone 5 in Nov/Dec of 2011. I'm guessing that's part of the deal allowing VZW to carry the iPhone with ATT's prior exclusivity contract with Apple.

We should hopefully know in a couple hours.

the only thing that would make me switch from att to verizon would be if they offered free tethering. short of that, im content with my current service.

its $325 (and $10 less each month from your contract start) to break an iphone contract, so im not in a rush to do it.

Told you so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroVega
^ You would hope the iPad and iPod would go hand-in-hand, but it doesn't necessarily
Just wanted to say, I told you so, to all the people that stated an iPhone would not come to Verizon.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...carouselMain.0

Excuse me sir, why are you saying I told you so to me? I was the one who started the thread and argued with dohdough that the writing was on the wall that it was coming. I've had friends inside Verizon telling me since 3 days after starting the thread it was coming.

I'm here to say I told you so. I'm waiting for dohdough to post some more links from 2009 as to why it isn't coming though.

So coming early next month. Just a CDMA iPhone 4, so just 3G, will have to wait for next version to get 4G--which may be summer for AT&T and next January for Verizon.

Antenna is different being CDMA--so maybe the death grip won't be a problem. Only software change mentioned on Engadget is that it can serve as a 5 user wifi hot spot to match Verizon's Android phones.

Downside vs. AT&T iPhone is the same as other CDMA smartphones--can't talk and surf at the same time. Seems pointless to me, but I suppose some do that at times.

Yeah existing customers get to pre-order on the 3rd of February and I'm guessing it goes on sale on the 10th of February since everyone else can order it.
I don't think I've seen anyone talk and surf the web at the same time but it doesn' matter to me since I don't need to do that....

[quote name='TheRock88']16gb - $199
32gb - $299

Kinda wish they talked about how much the plans are. Are they the same as other Verizon smartphones?[/QUOTE]

A blurb on Engadget mentioned their would likely be an unlimited (5GB cap, so not really unlimited) plan for $29.99. Possibly the $14.99 150MB plan available as well, but not as certain on that one.

I told you a week ago this was coming for sure. This is why ATT let everyone upgrade regardless of contract situation when iPhone4 came out. Now those folks can't run away without paying a hefty ETF. Thing is everyone who runs out and gets one from VZW at launch will probably be kicking themselves in the ass six months from now, but that's the price early adopters pay. No doubt there will be a 4G model on VZW by years end. If you think Apple is going to let their product be a second class device on VZW you're crazy.

^ true but I'm fine being an early adopter and having the first one available, that's how bad I want the device.

Can anyone clue me in to what LTE is and what it does? I'm not too too into phone technology as far as the internal stuff is concerned.

[quote name='TC'] No doubt there will be a 4G model on VZW by years end. If you think Apple is going to let their product be a second class device on VZW you're crazy.[/QUOTE]

One of the Engadget blurbs mentioned that the 4G iPhone would likely come to AT&T late spring or early summer and not come to Verizon until early 2012.

Guess that could be a kick back for Apple breaking the exclusivity deal before 2012.

I'll definitely keep waiting though. My LG Voyager is still going strong, so I'll take more time to decide if I want to pay for a data plan and to see what Droid phones come out to compete with the iPhone on Verizon between now and the 4G iPhone release.

[quote name='DestroVega']Told you so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroVega
^ You would hope the iPad and iPod would go hand-in-hand, but it doesn't necessarily
Just wanted to say, I told you so, to all the people that stated an iPhone would not come to Verizon.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...carouselMain.0

Excuse me sir, why are you saying I told you so to me? I was the one who started the thread and argued with dohdough that the writing was on the wall that it was coming. I've had friends inside Verizon telling me since 3 days after starting the thread it was coming.

I'm here to say I told you so. I'm waiting for dohdough to post some more links from 2009 as to why it isn't coming though.[/QUOTE]
LOLLERZ...so you guessed right based on rumor and speculation. Big deal. Like sales reps know the inside deal on every industry they work in.

By sunday, I was already convinced that it would be released considering the coverage.

If it makes you feel big to say you guessed right, go ahead, but when it comes down to it, you didn't base anything on facts. So who cares what you think.

bread's done
Back