iPhone on Verizon thread... (It's no longer speculation.)

I don't know about that, user base is important too. As a consumer, wouldn't you like to be able to get a refund for something bought in the market? I doubt many iPhone users even know you can get refunds through the android market.

It's a double edged sword. Being able to get refunds would be nice. But app availability is more important to me.

Plus, when we're talking apps that are mostly $5 or less (for the ones I'd buy) I don't care nearly as much about refunds since we're just talking pocket change anyway.

And I guess the number of apps available would? Keep in mind here you have no idea what any of them are or how many are worth a damn.

Just saying that numbers can be misleading. So what if you have x number of apps available, how do I know that it's anything I'll want?

[quote name='DestroVega']^ being able to get a refund on an app would in no way influence which device I want to use as my phone.[/QUOTE]

That's like choosing a hooker based on a money back guarantee.

[quote name='Clak']And I guess the number of apps available would? Keep in mind here you have no idea what any of them are or how many are worth a damn.

Just saying that numbers can be misleading. So what if you have x number of apps available, how do I know that it's anything I'll want?[/QUOTE]

While numbers aren't important and there is a lot of crap for sure, many of us have first-hand experience with what is available on the App Store, either from an AT&T iphone or an iPod touch and/or iPad, and rather like what we've been able to find. There's plenty of resources for finding the good stuff such as the iOS deals thread here, toucharcade.com, etc. It's not hard to find what might work for you and there is a lot of good stuff available. You can also read the reviews on iTunes. Some apps have free "lite" versions to try, but I do wish that was standard instead of sporadic.

Check out the iOS deals thread here (in the deals section) for sales, because iOS games often go on sale, sometimes even going free. Also check http://appshopper.com/ as they have price tracking, so you can see what prices a particular app has gone for at different times, and so can see then if you should buy now, or wait for the next sale. Definitely a fantastic resource.

EDIT: and a bonus - if you've already bought stuff for an iPad or iPod touch (or AT&T iPhone), you get all that stuff for free on your new Verizon iPhone (well, anything that's iPad-only obviously won't sync). iOS purchases can be installed onto many other iOS devices free of charge. I think there's a limit, but it's at least 5 iOS devices. There may not even be a limit any more. I'm not sure, but I'm certain it's at least 5 devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the iPhone is still around and making more news. It's more entertainment for me to hear current/new iPhone/AT&T/soontobe Verizon suckers get butt raped over and over. The Windo$e crap is getting old already.

[quote name='crunchewy']While numbers aren't important and there is a lot of crap for sure, many of us have first-hand experience with what is available on the App Store, either from an AT&T iphone or an iPod touch and/or iPad, and rather like what we've been able to find. There's plenty of resources for finding the good stuff such as the iOS deals thread here, toucharcade.com, etc. It's not hard to find what might work for you and there is a lot of good stuff available. You can also read the reviews on iTunes. Some apps have free "lite" versions to try, but I do wish that was standard instead of sporadic.

Check out the iOS deals thread here (in the deals section) for sales, because iOS games often go on sale, sometimes even going free. Also check http://appshopper.com/ as they have price tracking, so you can see what prices a particular app has gone for at different times, and so can see then if you should buy now, or wait for the next sale. Definitely a fantastic resource.

EDIT: and a bonus - if you've already bought stuff for an iPad or iPod touch (or AT&T iPhone), you get all that stuff for free on your new Verizon iPhone (well, anything that's iPad-only obviously won't sync). iOS purchases can be installed onto many other iOS devices free of charge. I think there's a limit, but it's at least 5 iOS devices. There may not even be a limit any more. I'm not sure, but I'm certain it's at least 5 devices.[/QUOTE]Yeah anything bought on the android market is linked to your google account, so you can always transfer things to other devices as long as you use that account on it.

I got my Sena Vista case today... and the verdict is somewhat out on it. The case looks really great. I definitely like the look of it a lot. I also like that the bottom, top and side buttons are all largely exposed and thus very easy to access, and there's no issues at all with headphones or cables fitting. Also the case is thin and light, which is definitely nice. It doesn't add much weight or thickness at all. I not only think it would work fine with the Verizon iPhone, Sena is now saying on their website that it fits. I would caution, though, that the buttons on the side wouldn't be as nicely centered like they are with the AT&T iPhone 4. I wouldn't be shocked if they put out a revision, but it isn't strictly necessary.

Alas, there's several issues with this case. First, unfortunately it does affect flash photography. Though the opening for the lens and flash is larger then my old case, it still isn't huge and I think the leather is a bit too shiny and it reflects the light as a result. It gives that same hazy affect. Obviously there's no problem when not using the flash. Fortunately the case is easy to remove and put back on, so it's not a big deal - I'll remove it from the case when I need the flash. It's way easier to remove and put back on them my old case. I would rather I didn't have to, though.

Second, and I should have realized this ahead of time, while the little kick stand is pretty nifty and works rather well, the back of the case is not flat as a result of the bar running across it. If you set it on a table it doesn't lay flat, rather it teeter totters a bit. I'm not bothered by it, but it's worth noting.

Lastly, if you are a heavy phone call maker you might find the thin lip coming up above the edge of the screen to be slightly uncomfortable. I don't make a lot of long phone calls, mostly just short ones, so I don't think it will be an issue for me, but I can see others not liking that.

I've been debating whether or not the shortcomings make me want to return it, but I think I'm going to keep it. The case looks really snazzy and feels great in hand. It also feels very well made and I expect it will last quite a while. It doesn't add much weight or thickness and it gives full access to all ports and buttons. The kickstand is nice too though I'm not sure how much I'll use it in practice.

Got mine too! Coming from a blackberry I was disappointed that ringtones are such a p.i.t.a. and the notification system is pretty weak. Other than that, it's been great.

[quote name='Darknyss']Got mine too! Coming from a blackberry I was disappointed that ringtones are such a p.i.t.a. and the notification system is pretty weak. Other than that, it's been great.[/QUOTE]

these two, for me, are the only drawbacks.

It's very weird, I have an iPod touch 3rd generation and now the iPhone 4. I set the phone up identical to the layout and options I have been using on my iPod.

But the push notifications don't seem to happen with the phone as fast, or in some cases at all, like they do on my touch. Which doesn't make much sense.

I have yet to see one email Pushed with a number next to my mail box, I have to go inside and it checks, even though I have it set to push.

And when I woke up there was a 2 by my app store, with two app updates... no such number on my phone, I had to go into the app store to see there were updates.

Anyone know if it's slower and/or something is wonky?

as far as custom ringtones, where should I even begin to look? it's a bit harder because when I sync my phone I clear out all my music on iTunes, because I have more than 14 gb's of music. So even if I wanted to put some songs in, and edit them with a program, I think I would have to make a separate folder of songs just for when I sync the phone, which isn't impossible, just not ideal.

[quote name='DestroVega']these two, for me, are the only drawbacks.

It's very weird, I have an iPod touch 3rd generation and now the iPhone 4. I set the phone up identical to the layout and options I have been using on my iPod.

But the push notifications don't seem to happen with the phone as fast, or in some cases at all, like they do on my touch. Which doesn't make much sense.

I have yet to see one email Pushed with a number next to my mail box, I have to go inside and it checks, even though I have it set to push.[/quote]
Gmail seems slow for me too. But I am getting emails pushed. I have my computer up and I can see when the emails come in via Google Mail Checker Plus. My phone is usually around 5-10 mins behind.

[quote name='DestroVega']And when I woke up there was a 2 by my app store, with two app updates... no such number on my phone, I had to go into the app store to see there were updates.[/quote]
I think this is how it works. App updates show under the App store. Missed calls under Phone, e-mail under Mail, etc. iOS doesn't have an unified system.

[quote name='DestroVega']as far as custom ringtones, where should I even begin to look? it's a bit harder because when I sync my phone I clear out all my music on iTunes, because I have more than 14 gb's of music. So even if I wanted to put some songs in, and edit them with a program, I think I would have to make a separate folder of songs just for when I sync the phone, which isn't impossible, just not ideal.[/QUOTE]
It's possible to create ringtones from the music in your library. I tried some of the methods from this thread last night and had some success.

My issue was that I wanted to use the codec and alert sounds from MGS and already had the mp3 files from my blackberry. The files I had weren't compatible with iTunes. I did find an iPhone version of the codec. And I finally got the alert converted but then found out you can't use custom sounds for text messages, UGH!

[quote name='lordopus99']How many of you that got one came from AT&T?[/QUOTE]

I think that would be none - the pre-orders so far were only open to existing Verizon customers.

The notifications system on the iPhone isn't great, that's for sure. Just serviceable. Hopefully they'll improve the notifications system in the next major update.

I recommend you check out Boxcar. It's free app and it's pretty cool. I use it with gmail. I forward emails from my family to my boxcar account and then boxcar notifies me of those emails and I get the notifications pretty instantly. The awesome thing about this is that I then have general email notifications suppressed, so I get instant notification of messages from people I care about, and everything else can wait.

You use a filter in gmail to forward messages from anybody you want. The only problem is the filter system in gmail isn't that great, but it works. You just can't have it filter messages from a group, rather you have to list each address out. Boxcar does have the weird trait that when it switches you to the Mail app, it does so by creating an empty email, which you then have to cancel. Not a big deal, but worth noting. I hope they improve that, but I'd still not go without it.

FYI, I'm on AT&T. Probably going to stick with them now that the coverage at work is great (it wasn't at all until a few days after Verizon's announcement!!!)

[quote name='crunchewy']I think that would be none - the pre-orders so far were only open to existing Verizon customers.

The notifications system on the iPhone isn't great, that's for sure. Just serviceable. Hopefully they'll improve the notifications system in the next major update.

I recommend you check out Boxcar. It's free app and it's pretty cool. I use it with gmail. I forward emails from my family to my boxcar account and then boxcar notifies me of those emails and I get the notifications pretty instantly. The awesome thing about this is that I then have general email notifications suppressed, so I get instant notification of messages from people I care about, and everything else can wait.

You use a filter in gmail to forward messages from anybody you want. The only problem is the filter system in gmail isn't that great, but it works. You just can't have it filter messages from a group, rather you have to list each address out. Boxcar does have the weird trait that when it switches you to the Mail app, it does so by creating an empty email, which you then have to cancel. Not a big deal, but worth noting. I hope they improve that, but I'd still not go without it.

FYI, I'm on AT&T. Probably going to stick with them now that the coverage at work is great (it wasn't at all until a few days after Verizon's announcement!!!)[/QUOTE]

I'm one, but only because my wife's phone was on Verizon. I really had no issues with AT&T, but I've been doing a lot of traveling for business lately and some cities are horrible. My coverage at CES was atrocious, and ultimately what pushed me to change.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I'm one, but only because my wife's phone was on Verizon. I really had no issues with AT&T, but I've been doing a lot of traveling for business lately and some cities are horrible. My coverage at CES was atrocious, and ultimately what pushed me to change.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected! :) That is one way to do it.

I see a few posters are saying the iPhone notification system isn't great. I'm just curious as to why things I'm notified about on my ipod TOUCH don't give me the same notification on my iPHONE.. after all, it runs of the same software?

LOLZ
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/02/10/verizon.iphone/index.html?hpt=C2

Either:

1. People got tired of waiting for the Iphone and are enjoying their Droids instead..
2. People have gotten smart and know this Iphone is not 4g and that a new phone is coming in the summer and can wait it out.
3. People don't care anymore for the iphone on Verizon.
4. Stupid Apple wants to keep their pricing model (200/300) for Verizon...so people said fuck that!

[quote name='ITDEFX']LOLZ

Either:

1. People got tired of waiting for the Iphone and are enjoying their Droids instead..
2. People have gotten smart and know this Iphone is not 4g and that a new phone is coming in the summer and can wait it out.
4. Stupid Apple wants to keep their pricing model (200/300) for Verizon...so people said fuck that![/QUOTE]

5. No one wants to break their current contract to get one.

Personally think #5 is a big part of the small lines.

Or perhaps they're just all pre-ordering online now? Certainly a whole a lot of Verizon customers pre-ordered it. I don't remember the specifics, but Verizon said they'd broken a record in 2 hours. Was it 2 days sales record or something? Ah, don't quote me on it.

The best thing about the Verizon iPhone? All these awesome sales and freebies that say, "Welcome Verizon iPhone users!". :)

Ah, here's the article:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/verizon-breaks-first-day-sales-record-with-iphone-4-pre-orders/

They broke their first day sales record in only 2 hours, and that even being limited to only existing Verizon customers, and between 3 AM and 5 AM in the middle of the night!

I am also thinking of all the sites (cnet for example) of making readers aware of what you are getting when you get an Iphone 4 with Verizon. Verizon is pissing me off with that slap in the face of 30 dollars off when you upgrade your phone. The days of getting 50/100 off are gone :( I could really bitch at them because of the problems I have had with the Voyager/Env Touch and they could knock down the price even more on top of the 30 dollars, but that's pushing it. I would really want a phone that works not only within the first 30 days, but beyond. LG is not on my good side right now with the crap I have had to deal with (5 phones exchanged within a month!).

It's still up in the air about the Iphone 5 if it will be a simultaneous network release or Verizon gets it 6 -12 months after AT&T does.

^ they sold out their pre-sales in one day, people care. It's just not a huge wave of people because people aren't gonna spend money to break contracts.

And I got 50 bucks off my iPhone, so I don't know what the $30 thing is all about.

I got a question:I already have an Apple ID for a long time. I just tried to sign in with my Apple ID in gamecenter and find my iPhone but with gamecenter, it tries to make a new account and in the Find my iPhone app,it says I need to use an email. I put my email that is with my Apple ID and it still says it's wrong. Do I need to make seperate accounts?

[quote name='ITDEFX']LOLZ

Either:

4. Stupid Apple wants to keep their pricing model (200/300) for Verizon...so people said fuck that![/QUOTE]

6. Verizon doesn't allow simultaneous call and data use.

[quote name='DestroVega']

And I got 50 bucks off my iPhone, so I don't know what the $30 thing is all about.[/QUOTE]

Back in the good old days I believe you would get 50 dollars off if you upgraded after the first year and 100 off when you completed your two years. Now it's all based on plans. So if you are in the lowest plan (like me), then you only get 30 dollars.

I forget what the plan requirement is now to get the full 50 dollars off. My gf and I have been thinking of merging our plans to a family share but it might be somewhat of a bitch as shes under her mom's account and I would need to have her upgrade separately first then merge to my account.

I am also thinking if it's really worth waiting it out for a 4g droid. I am pretty sure that I am not going to be watching netflix and the only time I will be using the internet functions will be for GPS navigation, Price Comparisons, CAG and some other minor things as battery life will be my main concern.

[quote name='snakelda']I got a question:I already have an Apple ID for a long time. I just tried to sign in with my Apple ID in gamecenter and find my iPhone but with gamecenter, it tries to make a new account and in the Find my iPhone app,it says I need to use an email. I put my email that is with my Apple ID and it still says it's wrong. Do I need to make seperate accounts?[/QUOTE]

No, I use my Apple ID with gamecenter on my AT&T iPhone. I have heard, however, that people who are jailbreaking their 4.2.1 iPhones with Greenpois0n are having issues with Gamecenter where it keeps asking them to create a new "sandbox" account. Are you jailbroken? From what I understand, the workaround is to create the new account and login as that. But then log out and log back in with your original account. This isn't an issue if you aren't jailbroken with the Greenpois0n 4.2.1 jailbreak as far as I know. I'm certainly not having any issues. I was actually jailbroken on 4.1, but just last night decided to restore with stock 4.2.1 and Gamecenter is working fine. I'm undecided on whether to jailbreak again. Maybe once I hear that all the issues are cleared up, but maybe not.

EDIT: one thing - my Apple ID is the same one I use for iTunes. Have you tried to log into iTunes with your account?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am also thinking if it's really worth waiting it out for a 4g droid. I am pretty sure that I am not going to be watching netflix and the only time I will be using the internet functions will be for GPS navigation, Price Comparisons, CAG and some other minor things as battery life will be my main concern.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Netflix works well over 3G (EDIT: well, I'm talking about AT&T 3G, I can't be sure about Verizon 3G) on the iPhone 4. Now, this is only if you are NOT moving around quickly, such as on a train. Then I get hiccups periodically, I presume due to moving through areas with poorer/no coverage, though otherwise it works well even there. If you are sitting in a coffee shop and want to watch a movie it works quite well. The video quality is very good. You don't need 4G for Netflix Of course using Netlfix over your cell connection does use up a fair bit of data. If you don't have unlimited data you'd have to keep an eye on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']

FYI, Netflix works well over 3G (EDIT: well, I'm talking about AT&T 3G, I can't be sure about Verizon 3G) on the iPhone 4. Now, this is only if you are NOT moving around quickly, such as on a train. Then I get hiccups periodically, I presume due to moving through areas with poorer/no coverage, though otherwise it works well even there. If you are sitting in a coffee shop and want to watch a movie it works quite well. The video quality is very good. You don't need 4G for Netflix Of course using Netlfix over your cell connection does use up a fair bit of data. If you don't have unlimited data you'd have to keep an eye on that.[/QUOTE]

Well the plan is to do Unlimited for a month or 2 and see how much data do I use. If it's ends up that I use less than 250, then I will downgrade...Like i said I would be mostly use it for email/cag/gps/price tracking.

[quote name='crunchewy']No, I use my Apple ID with gamecenter on my AT&T iPhone. I have heard, however, that people who are jailbreaking their 4.2.1 iPhones with Greenpois0n are having issues with Gamecenter where it keeps asking them to create a new "sandbox" account. Are you jailbroken? From what I understand, the workaround is to create the new account and login as that. But then log out and log back in with your original account. This isn't an issue if you aren't jailbroken with the Greenpois0n 4.2.1 jailbreak as far as I know. I'm certainly not having any issues. I was actually jailbroken on 4.1, but just last night decided to restore with stock 4.2.1 and Gamecenter is working fine. I'm undecided on whether to jailbreak again. Maybe once I hear that all the issues are cleared up, but maybe not.

EDIT: one thing - my Apple ID is the same one I use for iTunes. Have you tried to log into iTunes with your account?[/QUOTE]
It's not jailbroken and I'm trying to log in with my Apple ID that I also use to use in iTunes.

[quote name='snakelda']It's not jailbroken and I'm trying to log in with my Apple ID that I also use to use in iTunes.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Perhaps try that same fix? Make a new account, but then login with your original. See if that does the trick. Maybe there's some problem with the server side too - maybe it will clear up later?

Ok I found the problem. The problem was that my username was not an email. Your username has to an email for it to work. Thanks for the help!

bread's done
Back