iPhone on Verizon thread... (It's no longer speculation.)

[quote name='dohdough']LOLLERZ...so you guessed right based on rumor and speculation. Big deal. Like sales reps know the inside deal on every industry they work in.

By sunday, I was already convinced that it would be released considering the coverage.

If it makes you feel big to say you guessed right, go ahead, but when it comes down to it, you didn't base anything on facts. So who cares what you think.[/QUOTE]

YouMad.jpg

I'll be damned.
I still don't see anything in the Verizon billing system that is iPhone specific, I wonder if the features to enter are the same as any other non-BB smartphone?

[quote name='snakelda']Yeah existing customers get to pre-order on the 3rd of February and I'm guessing it goes on sale on the 10th of February since everyone else can order it.
I don't think I've seen anyone talk and surf the web at the same time but it doesn' matter to me since I don't need to do that....[/QUOTE]

So can someone like me, my contract is up in september 2011 and I'm with verizon. I did one year already and i want the iPhone. So is it possible to preorder february 3 or do I have to wait till february 10?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the only thing that would make me switch from att to verizon would be if they offered free tethering. short of that, im content with my current service.

its $325 (and $10 less each month from your contract start) to break an iphone contract, so im not in a rush to do it.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there on the tethering, though I'm only interested in wireless tethering, which Verizon is offering. Does Verizon provide free mobile hotspot for android phones, or is there a charge? I presume if there's a charge for android phones there'd be a charge for iPhones. If there's a monthly fee it's not so appealing.

Thanks for the heads up on the early termination fee. That is hefty. Looks like I'll be sticking with my AT&T iPhone 4 for the time being, anyway. Maybe switch once we get the next iPhone, and the termination fee will be lower. I think I probably will switch, because there's terrible coverage here at work. You can get a signal outside, but only in certain spots inside, and actually outside it's not that great either. Meanwhile Verizon has a tower on center. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the AT&T service, but I had hoped that by now they'd get coverage here at work and they haven't.

EDIT: oh, and Engadget found that the mobile hotspot was part of 4.2.5 - it's in the preferences app - so it may well be coming to AT&T too. Of course AT&T would probably charge for it, but maybe they'll be pressured to make it free if Verizon has it for free. Let's hope so!

[quote name='jcslao']So can someone like me, my contract is up in september 2011 and I'm with verizon. I did one year already and i want the iPhone. So is it possible to preorder february 3 or do I have to wait till february 10?[/QUOTE]

I'd think so. You just won't be able to get the two year contract price on the phone probably.

That would be awesome but I always thought if you get another phone. Your contract would be extended.

You can extend the contract, but in my experience they don't usually give you the two year contract deal.

I didn't get the 2 year deal either time I had to replace cell phones early (broke one, other stolen in an armed robbery). They knocked some off, but not down to the advertised 2 year contract price.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm with you there on the tethering, though I'm only interested in wireless tethering, which Verizon is offering. Does Verizon provide free mobile hotspot for android phones, or is there a charge? I presume if there's a charge for android phones there'd be a charge for iPhones. If there's a monthly fee it's not so appealing.

Thanks for the heads up on the early termination fee. That is hefty. Looks like I'll be sticking with my AT&T iPhone 4 for the time being, anyway. Maybe switch once we get the next iPhone, and the termination fee will be lower. I think I probably will switch, because there's terrible coverage here at work. You can get a signal outside, but only in certain spots inside, and actually outside it's not that great either. Meanwhile Verizon has a tower on center. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the AT&T service, but I had hoped that by now they'd get coverage here at work and they haven't.

EDIT: oh, and Engadget found that the mobile hotspot was part of 4.2.5 - it's in the preferences app - so it may well be coming to AT&T too. Of course AT&T would probably charge for it, but maybe they'll be pressured to make it free if Verizon has it for free. Let's hope so![/QUOTE]

yeah i read that too, but att would probably charge for it.

verizon does charge for mobile hotspots with droids, something like $20. so its not that good of a deal. i dont need mobile hotspot, im fine with tethering. id even be willing to pay for tethering if it was somewhat reasonable and unlimited (which its not on att).

So mines well wait till May then. That's when I'm eligible for an upgrade. If I did want the phone I would have to pay it straight out which is $600 or so.

But I thought verizon would like consumers to purchase new phones and lock them in and extend their contract.

For example I just completed a year but would like a new phone. It would be nice to get the 2 year discount after i completed that one year. And then verizon would extend the contract.

Oh well I guess they still trying get money back from the phone i got from the beginning of the contract I'm in.

[quote name='dohdough']LOLLERZ...so you guessed right based on rumor and speculation. Big deal. Like sales reps know the inside deal on every industry they work in.

By sunday, I was already convinced that it would be released considering the coverage.

If it makes you feel big to say you guessed right, go ahead, but when it comes down to it, you didn't base anything on facts. So who cares what you think.[/QUOTE]

it took you til Sunday?

my friend isn't a salesrep, and he had better information than just a rumor.

Even when I showed you info that the phone might be coming, you pulled out articles from 2009. and you made it seem like you were all-knowing, even though I re-stated it was just a speculation thread.

[quote name='jcslao']
Oh well I guess they still trying get money back from the phone i got from the beginning of the contract I'm in.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They can't let people upgrade early as it eats into their profit margins as they already gave you a big discount on the phone you have when you signed up for the 2 year contract.

Plus, they have you locked into a contract, so they don't have any pressure to cater to you as you have to pay them to get out of the contract.

[quote name='jcslao']So mines well wait till May then. That's when I'm eligible for an upgrade. If I did want the phone I would have to pay it straight out which is $600 or so.

But I thought verizon would like consumers to purchase new phones and lock them in and extend their contract.

For example I just completed a year but would like a new phone. It would be nice to get the 2 year discount after i completed that one year. And then verizon would extend the contract.

Oh well I guess they still trying get money back from the phone i got from the beginning of the contract I'm in.[/QUOTE]

depending on your plan, if you have a more expensive plan they will give you the new every 2 discount after 18 months. which only saves you 6 months, but it's something.

[quote name='DestroVega']it took you til Sunday?

my friend isn't a salesrep, and he had better information than just a rumor.

Even when I showed you info that the phone might be coming, you pulled out articles from 2009. and you made it seem like you were all-knowing, even though I re-stated it was just a speculation thread.[/QUOTE]
Not exactly, rumors are rumors and I asserted that considering the lack of info at the time, that a Verizon iphone release is unlikely.

I'm guessing by Saturday, more and more sources were reporting, but I do other things than troll internet boards.;)

But hey, who cares...congrats on your iphone 4, but I strongly suggest you wait for the next version that'll probably be released in a few months. You'll be MUCH happier on LTE.

[quote name='dohdough']But hey, who cares...congrats on your iphone 4, but I strongly suggest you wait for the next version that'll probably be released in a few months. You'll be MUCH happier on LTE.[/QUOTE]

Again, the rumor is that won't be available on Verizon until next year as the 4G iPhone will be an AT&T exclusive for 6 months or so first.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Huh? I wasn't even one of the people arguing with him.[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, his trolling skills are just weak.:lol:

[quote name='dohdough']Not exactly, rumors are rumors and I asserted that considering the lack of info at the time, that a Verizon iphone release is unlikely.

I'm guessing by Saturday, more and more sources were reporting, but I do other things than troll internet boards.;)

But hey, who cares...congrats on your iphone 4, but I strongly suggest you wait for the next version that'll probably be released in a few months. You'll be MUCH happier on LTE.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't "troll" anything, but I'm not looking to start a verbal war, my initial response way back in the post that the thread wasn't for definitive statements, more for rumors, etc. It's cool.

And while part of me agrees with you, and wants to wait until the new iPhone is here in 6 months, who knows if Verizon will even have it? The general "rumor" is they won't get another new verision on their network until next Jan/Feb... and besides, I've waited so long as it is, how long should I wait??

Truth be told, my Blackberry Storm (version 1, yes laugh collectively now) is basically dead. The battery dies about 2 hours after fully charging, it did the same thing last year at this time, and I'm not going to spend money on another battery. Oh yeah, and the phone totally sucks in comparison to everything out there at this point.

I think I will be fine right now if I just buy the iPhone, and if a new one DOES come out in 6 months with LTE, I can definitely sell it somewhere to someone and get something.

I'm just at the point of needing a new phone, and I've been waiting on this one for forever.

[quote name='KaneRobot']dmaul1114 won. dohdough lost. That's what I have taken away from this thread.[/QUOTE]

+1 cause I can

Ah, so Verizon charges $20 a month for mobile hotspot. Well that's a let down to say the least. I should just live with AT&T until my contract is up anyway. Really they are fine except at my office and somewhat marginal at my house, but these aren't as big a deal as it would be for some. I have wired phones in both places, and WiFi for data.

Wait, so there's speculation that the new iphone released mid-year will be an ATT exclusive for 6 months?

Anybody have an article/source?

If that's the case, maybe I'll just get this one now on a 1-year contract (if that's possible).

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm going to wait till May this year. That's when I'm eligible for an upgrade. All I wanted was the iPhone on Verizon. And glad it's here. I can now wait and be excited at the same time.

I spend more time on my iTouch using data than I do my Blackberry Storm2. Now that I can do all that plus text and call with the iPhone. Just makes me wet my pants.

Thanks VERIZON AND APPLE!

[quote name='OuTrAgE']Wait, so there's speculation that the new iphone released mid-year will be an ATT exclusive for 6 months?

Anybody have an article/source?

[/QUOTE]

Read through the articles on Engadget. I saw the rumor mentioned in a couple of them, but I don't have the patience to go find which one.

In any case, it's probably true. They had to give AT&T something to break their exclusivity agreement before 2012, and it wouldn't be wise to put the Iphone 4 on Verizon in February and then launch a new version in 3 or 4 months. A yearly upgrade is pretty standard with most smart phones, so waiting until 2012 would piss off less people.

Just in case people don't realize (and there are some that don't), you can upgrade your phone at ANY time, you just aren't eligible for those (substantial) discounts unless you're at a certain point in your contract. I.e. - I'm 14 months into my 2yr contract from the original Droid.. eligible for NE2 upgrade over summer and contract expires in Nov. I *could* pay for an iphone out of pocket (retail is ridiculous on cell phones), activate it and still have a contract that expires in Nov.

I'll actually be holding on to my Droid (it still runs Android damn well and frankly I love the OS) and considering T-Mobile at the end of my contract since they offer plans that are $20 cheaper a month and not under contract if you purchase the phone out of pocket. If you do the math, you'll see that these phones are usually discounted $200 and that difference pays for it self within the first year.

Just caught up on my surveys and I got a mail to take one on 1/7 and it turned out to be a survey on the iPhone being released on Verizon and specifically included graphics that are going to be included in upcoming emails and webpages listing the 16gb and 32gb models and release date in Feb. HAHA, I guess I could have confirmed this for everyone if I was more on the ball.. I also could have taken some screencaps if I was more astute.. I went back to the survey and tried to grab them but no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Amblix']So, cancelling my AT&T fee will be $350 aparently. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Minus something like $10 per month of service on you current contract. Or some such number. You'll have to look into it.

I gave it some thought when I got the e-mail from Verizon to join the list to get one first. But I'm holding off. Still not sure I need/want one enough to pay for a data plan, and I'd rather wait a while for the 4G Android phones and the eventual 4G iPhone to be out.

[quote name='DestroVega']so, who is getting one at launch?

and can anyone with iPhones currently recommend me some of the best cases?[/QUOTE]

You have to wait for new ones because the CDMA antenna design pushes the mute and volume buttons down slightly, enough to interfere most likely.

Incidentally, what's the odds that this is coincidental: at work (a large campus), I've basically never had a signal while in my office. Today, they are testing a new AT&T antenna that's been put on center. I now get 5 bars everywhere in and out of the building!

^Yeah, I know I have to wait for the new ones, but the same companies will be releasing similar cases I'm assuming, so I thought I could ask and get a head start.

Hmm, well, I have Speck CandyShell case that I really liked because it looked good and protected well... except that after having taken it off and on many times, the thin part on the bottom front broke. I wouldn't have had to take the case off and on so much except for two reasons:

1. the opening for the dock connector is too narrow for some 3rd party dock connector cables, such as the half-broken FM transmitter I'm limping along with in my car. This sucks because while I can buy a new FM transmitter that doesn't have this issue, I think they don't actually work any more - they keep reducing the power of these things every year such that now they are completely worthless. Sigh. I wish my car stereo had an aux input.

2. in spite of what I originally thought, the case does sometimes mess up the flash when taking a flash photograph. It gives the photo a hazy look. I don't know why, but sometimes it's worse then others. At best it makes the corners look hazy. I'm not sure why these case developers insist on making the opening for the lens and flash so tight, but they seem to keep doing that. If you plan to take flash photos (it doesn't effect photos without flash), I'd encourage you to find a case that doesn't have a small opening for the camera and flash no matter what they claim about it not affecting flash photos - it will.

So, I'm not sure that helps, but there you go. I'm going to be looking for a different one myself.

I highly recommend the Otterbox Defender cases for the iPhone. It'll turn your phone into a tank, but it's the only case I've seen the actually protects the glass instead of the sides. Roughly $20 on Amazon.

^ wow, it's kinda ugly but I like the clip part on the back because i currently clip my blackberry on my car visor since I work out of my car basically... interested in that.

I am also nervous about signing another two year contract when newer models are surely coming. I've been waiting forever for the iPhone on Verizon and will probably make the jump anyway. The 32GB version should only cost $200 with my NE2 discount.

My reasoning:
1) Apple ultimately wants to release an LTE version so they'll have one product model for both carriers. AT&T is nowhere near ready for LTE. I don't see this as being available until June 2012 at the earliest.
2) In June the Verizon iPhone 4 will not be that old. Verizon isn't really shy about introducing upgraded models in a short amount of time, but I think 4 months is way too soon.
3) If/When a newer model is released on Verizon that's worth switching to there's always the option of selling it and paying full retail. Sometimes this isn't even that more expensive that paying the $200 or so to upgrade when all is said and done.

Destro, I also did some preliminary research on cases. I liked the look of Incipio, Incase and Speck. I love the design if the iPhone 4 so much that I almost don't want to use a case, but I know getting a scratch on it would drive me crazy. This site has some reviews and impressions.

For my AT&T iPhone 4, I decided to bite the somewhat big one and get the Sena Vista leather case. This thing has a potentially nifty little kickstand that might prove useful on occasion. Mainly, though, I wanted a form-fitting leather case that will hopefully last a while. None of the cases I've had so far have lasted long at all, so their lower cost ends up not being that low. Here's the case:

http://www.senacases.com/apple/iphone-4-cases/vista/

I also like that the top and bottom are largely open, and the cut out for the side buttons is good too. This might actually work fine for the Verizon iPhone as there's a little space below the - button yet. Who can know for sure, though. I'm sure they'll update it for the Verizon version anyway. I use to have a Sena case years ago for a Palm and I liked that one as I recall.

seriously how dumb do you have to be to get an iphone 4 on verizon now. it sucks balls compared to the droid phones and the iphone 5 will be out this summer.

Again the rumor is the iPhone 5 won't hit Verizon until 2012 and would be exclusive on AT&T for a bit to toss them a bone after Apple breaking the exclusivity agreement early. And of course, 4G coverage is very limited still. If a person's not in a major metro area, it's a moot point for the time being anyway.

Whether Droid phones are better is a matter of opinion. They're better if you want flexibility. But the app store is more limited, and always will be as long as they keep having so many different versions of Android supported simultaneously and so many different phones with different processors etc.

Where as Apple has the advantage of only supporting one OS version at a time and thus having a unified App store.

So just a matter of whether you prefer that, or want a phone you can hack and customize. I could care less about any of that stuff as my phone uses are basic and even a smart phone I'd only use for net, e-mail a few apps and reading news and Kindle books on the go.

That said, I don't plan on getting an iPhone 4 as I'd rather wait for the 2nd gen one as I imagine the iPhone 4 will have some kinks on Verizon initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']so, who is getting one at launch?

and can anyone with iPhones currently recommend me some of the best cases?[/QUOTE]

More than likely going to get one for my wife at launch.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']seriously how dumb do you have to be to get an iphone 4 on verizon now. it sucks balls compared to the droid phones and the iphone 5 will be out this summer.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love ignorance.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']seriously how dumb do you have to be to get an iphone 4 on verizon now. it sucks balls compared to the droid phones and the iphone 5 will be out this summer.[/QUOTE]

oh well then, I guess I'm just retarded. :roll:

You stupid idiot.

Time and time again app developers have proclaimed how superior iOS is compared to android in terms of coding AND in terms of payment.

EX: Angry Birds (Rovio) is quoted on how they dislike AdMob. Yea, they made good money so far on the Android platform....but they had to throw ads in there to make it! They knew people wouldn't pay for an ad free version like w/iPhone/pad users.

And then let's just run through apps that run much better on iOS than Android...

Nevermind, no point! Almost everything does!

Fragmentation is beautiful for those who want an unique phone...but it's killing these developers. My friends are about to make an app....and they refuse to even think about making it for an android phone. They already know the deal: They make it work for the droid family and galaxy phones....and someone with a streak will moan. Get it working on the streak, and a mytouch4g user will moan. Get it working on the MT4G....

So basically....this post is idiotic. Though many have quoted this POS post. While I love my droid, I'm not an idiot like yourself. I know how lucky it is to even get a decent app that I don't have to see being outshined by someone with a regular ol iPhone 3G. And until all these manufactures get on the same page (won't happen), developers will continue to make the best product for the iPhone and just pray for the best w/Android and hope they can sneak an ad or two in the app without people moaning over the idea of wanting it to be completely free....

[quote name='strongpimphand']You stupid idiot.

Time and time again app developers have proclaimed how superior iOS is compared to android in terms of coding AND in terms of payment. [/QUOTE]

I haven't done any programming on iOS yet, but the only reason devs like the payment is because there is no refund like on Android. Hell, I like Android more than iOS, but if I was going to make a paid app that seems promising on any platform (such as a game), I would release it at the App Store first too since there are basically no refunds options, less compatibility issues, and free advertising if the app gets popular (yes, I know you can via contact customer service, but they aren't going to do it for you every single time). But get real though, every app on iOS is better than on Android? Come on now. Be realistic (if you can). Not trying to diss you or anything, but you sound like the fanboys at macrumors.

Just remember that an LTE iPhone will take an extra hit on your monthly bill, unless Verizon changed their mind about it.

[quote name='strongpimphand']You stupid idiot.

Time and time again app developers have proclaimed how superior iOS is compared to android in terms of coding AND in terms of payment.

EX: Angry Birds (Rovio) is quoted on how they dislike AdMob. Yea, they made good money so far on the Android platform....but they had to throw ads in there to make it! They knew people wouldn't pay for an ad free version like w/iPhone/pad users.

[/QUOTE]
Not defending anyone or anything here, but I have to ask, how is the cheapness of Android users a slight against the software?

I am really interested to see the numbers of people switching over to V b/c of the iphone. I got the 3gs almost two years ago and my contract runs out I think in July and I don't have any idea what I will get next. I can't wait to check out the iphone 5 and the new android phones.

[quote name='Clak']Not defending anyone or anything here, but I have to ask, how is the cheapness of Android users a slight against the software?[/QUOTE]

It's not. It just means the app store will never be as large as many developers don't want to bother with it as its easier to make money on the iOS with no refunds, only one OS supported at a time, only one company making the phones etc.

One of the main reasons I have debated to switch over to iPhone from Droid is Netflix isn't anywhere close to making it on any droid (which has been in App Store for a long while now). Add in that I could add PopCap titles, PvZ, etc as well where I haven't seen any recent news on any of that showing up.

bread's done
Back