iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='TheRock88']Madden 11 dropped to a dollar.

985808.png

http://appshopper.com/games/madden-nfl-11-by-ea-sports[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on that. For a buck worth a shot. Of course I think by the end of this holiday weekend that defense wont work because I'll have bought like 30 games.

Heroes of Kalevala has finally dropped to $.99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/heroes-of-kalevala/id374230229?mt=8) -- This game always looked interesting to me, so I'm happy to see the drop.

"Choose your favorite hero and lead your tribe towards a bright new future in the lands of Kalevala. Exciting new match-3 mechanics, powerful hero powerups, and an extensive village building game provide hours of exciting new entertainment. Experience over 140 hand made levels featuring never before seen match-3 game play like lock bomb combos and tar fights. Build your own village from scratch and see how it starts to thrive and produce wealth. Can your tribe acquire the fabled Sampo?

Features:

-Match your way through over 140 hand-made levels
-Create your very own village
-Eight powerful heroes with distinct abilities
-Story with English language voice overs
-Play as long as you like after completing the story
-Unique match-3 mechanics like tar fight and lock bombs
-Experience the extra crisp graphics on Retina Displays"

The Zuma-like Sparkle the Game (by 10tons Ltd, the same people who did Heroes of Kalevala) has dropped back down to .99 for the weekend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sparkle-the-game/id354123737?mt=8#).
"Get ready to save Crowberry Woods in this brand-new version of a PC and Mac hit game! The basic game play is simple: tap where you want the orb to land. Try to match three orbs to make them disappear. Make several matches in row to receive powerups. Just don't let the orbs fall into the abyss!
You'll also discover over ten different powerful amulets throughout your journey. They change the rules of the game in your favor. For example, the Amulet of Firebolt empowers you with powerful fiery bolts - and there are many more!
Embark on an extraordinary journey to uncover the secrets of Crowberry Woods. Banish the darkness with your Orb Slinger and reclaim your land!"

All the 10tons Ltd games seem to be on sale for .99 right now. This includes Azkend, which hasn't been on sale for over a year (http://itunes.apple.com/app/azkend/id310211579?mt=8).
"The relic your archaeological team found in Far Asia was more powerful than you thought. Now your mission is to reach the Temple of Time and return the Relic to lift the curse. Earn all the eight powerful talismans and unleash their helpful power.
You will come across breathtaking sceneries on your journey. The rich and relaxing atmosphere will draw you in and keep you there. Two game modes will keep you entertained for hours. Step into the exciting world of Azkend!

FEATURES
-Enjoyable and unique game play
-Perfect touch controls
-Captivating story
-Hours of puzzling
-Two game modes
-Eight powerful talismans
-Beautiful hand drawn sceneries
-Stunning visual effects"

Last edited by a moderator:
azkend and sparkle are probaby my 2 favorite non popcap puzzle games on the iphone(and I have dozens since its my favorite genre on the platform), I cannot recommend them highly enough for .99.

also, not sure if it has already been mentioned but wispin just launched and is on sale for .99, its a great pick up and play, here is toucharcades review. You have to change your color to the same as the enemy your going to attack.

Is there an easy way to see how big an App is in your collection?

With all these sales, I need to start picking and choosing what's on my iPad :lol:

[quote name='seanr1221']Is there an easy way to see how big an App is in your collection?

With all these sales, I need to start picking and choosing what's on my iPad :lol:[/QUOTE]

You can sort them by size under the sync options

[quote name='crunchewy']It doesn't look the monsters move? Weird. I like 100 Rogues, but it's buggy. 2.0 was suppose to fix all the crashing bugs, but I've just run into some crashes. Pretty annoying. Still, it is a solid rogue-like and is fun. I recommend it, but I hope they eventually really do stamp out all the bugs.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='caltab']I've been playing the crap out of League of Epic Heroes, on iphone for 1.99. It's a Desktop Dungeons clone with loot. I'd never heard of that game before, but this one is awesome. I don't really know how to describe it, but people call it a puzzle rpg kind of like 100 rogues. I normally don't like this type of game, but am loving this one.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of 100 Rogues, it's on sale for $2.

It's a roguelike that got some good reviews, a big update just came out, and I hear there's going to be a new playable character soon. Actually some good friends of mine made this game; I don't have an iPhone myself but I have played it a few times and I thought it was awesome, and I know that they plan to support it for a long time.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/100-rogues/id354011870?mt=8

As a side note, Desktop Dungeons (PC) is also awesome, more puzzle than roguelike. But that clone was made without permission (http://www.qcfdesign.com/?p=376) which is concerning when they are thinking of making a commercial release.

[quote name='Unrealevil']
As a side note, Desktop Dungeons (PC) is also awesome, more puzzle than roguelike. But that clone was made without permission (http://www.qcfdesign.com/?p=376) which is concerning when they are thinking of making a commercial release.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I saw that. Honestly, I am not the IP enforcement police, just a consumer who likes to play fun games, and League of heroes is extremely fun. I would have never of heard of Desktop Dungeons if not for the clone, and now will almost certainly buy it when its released on the iphone. Also, I guess League of Epic hero's loot system is an added feature from Desktop Dungeons, you get to keep stuff after you die, which gives a sense of progression. I also agree its more of a puzzle game then anything else, which is why I like it. I actually am not much of a fan of roguelike games.

[quote name='caltab']Ya, I saw that. Honestly, I am not the IP enforcement police, just a consumer who likes to play fun games, and League of heroes is extremely fun. I would have never of heard of Desktop Dungeons if not for the clone, and now will almost certainly buy it when its released on the iphone. Also, I guess League of Epic hero's loot system is an added feature from Desktop Dungeons, you get to keep stuff after you die, which gives a sense of progression. I also agree its more of a puzzle game then anything else, which is why I like it. I actually am not much of a fan of roguelike games. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, I get that, but I'd bet the game would be better off without the loot system--the guys who made DD know what they're doing. The main sense of progression comes from unlocks, but you keep your gold from game to game, too. Anyway, everyone here should try Desktop Dungeons and 100 Rogues. :D They're great games (even if you're not a huge fan of roguelikes).

100 Rogues remains glitchy and awkwardly balanced at times (The RNG has too much ability to screw you over, even for a roguelike!) but is still by MILES the best roguelike on the iphone.

Desktop Dungeons is good fun and an Iphone version should have been made by now. League of whatever already has my money.

[quote name='RollingSkull']100 Rogues remains glitchy and awkwardly balanced at times (The RNG has too much ability to screw you over, even for a roguelike!) but is still by MILES the best roguelike on the iphone.

Desktop Dungeons is good fun and an Iphone version should have been made by now. League of whatever already has my money.[/QUOTE]
I agree. They had plenty of time to release an iPhone version of DD and I don't feel bad for them at all. Every game gets cloned... That's part of the industry and if someone else beats you to release... it's your own fault. I would only look at it as bad if the guy released an iPhone game called DD and it was 100% the same (and he wasn't the actual guy who created DD), but that's not the case here.

Ash has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ash/id381890864?mt=8)

"----The FAAD GOLD app by FreeAppADay.com App introduces Ash as Today's Featured Free App!----

Designed exclusively for the iPhone, Ash is a classic turn-based RPG, featuring an all-new, intuitive touch-based interface, a massive, fully-realized world with lush visuals licensed from Enterbrain, and a wonderfully compelling story."

[quote name='Kush']Ash has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ash/id381890864?mt=8)

"----The FAAD GOLD app by FreeAppADay.com App introduces Ash as Today's Featured Free App!----

Designed exclusively for the iPhone, Ash is a classic turn-based RPG, featuring an all-new, intuitive touch-based interface, a massive, fully-realized world with lush visuals licensed from Enterbrain, and a wonderfully compelling story."[/QUOTE]
Beat me to it. I've heard a lot of hype on this game at toucharcade forums. I was just about to buy this 3 days ago, glad I didn't then. I'm definitely in for one now.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Great deal, yet I'd wait for 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for the same thing. I like those type of games but some I find some of the puzzles in these games annoy me so I wait for the price to go low on them.

Broken Sword is not worth much more than 99 cents. It is a decent game but definitely something out of the wild 80s/early 90s that didn't quite have good focus.

What you folks want is Hector Badge of Carnage if you want an iPhone adventure.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']Not a deal, but a question about one.

With all of the Pac Man games on sale, which is the one to get?[/QUOTE]

Championship Edition and Ms. Pac-Man IMHO. Worth picking up both.

Awesome, I can't believe Ash is free already. And they just addressed some of the big complaints with it like no d-pad, too difficult, etc. I can't wait to play this.

Split/Second has dropped down to $0.99 (IPhone)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/split-second/id373012069?mt=8

Homerun Battle 3d has dropped down to $0.99 (For both iPhone and iPad)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/homerun-battle-3d/id313833267?mt=8

Trapped Undead Infection has dropped down to $0.99 (iPhone)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trapped-undead-infection/id299496650?mt=8

9 Innings: Pro Baseball has dropped down to $0.99 (iPhone)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/9-innings-pro-baseball/id311137188?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/9-innings-pro-baseball-2011/id373290787?mt=8 (This is the 2011 version also on sale for $0.99 Universal App)

Caligo Chaser has dropped down to $0.99 (though this has been free months ago)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caligo-chaser/id359781723?mt=8

What ya'll think of Split/Second?

And put it this way guys... I spent 15 bucks on Broken Sword Director's Cut on my Wii over a year ago. That bitch is still sealed. Which is why I want to sell it and then get it on my iPod when it drops to 99 cents. It's the exact same game. Technology is amazing, isn't it?

[quote name='RollingSkull']100 Rogues remains glitchy and awkwardly balanced at times (The RNG has too much ability to screw you over, even for a roguelike!) but is still by MILES the best roguelike on the iphone.[/QUOTE]
So I brought up your point about balance to the lead designer and he admits that the difficulty was disproportionate and it's something he really wanted to fix. But he says it was fixed for the most part with the last big update (2.0) and will be tweaked further with 2.1 soon. :)

I'm sure if any deal existed it would have already been posted, but are there any deals on iTunes GCs better than the $20 for $25 or $40 for $50 deals? Thanks.

And for the camera-inclined out there:

Camera Prime (with Geotagging) has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/camera-prime-with-geotagging/id389298844?mt=8)

"**The FIRST and ONLY camera app with official GEOTAGGING for photos AND videos**

**Huge thanks to Hakeem Derres (alias itouchking) for the amazing icon! Check out his website at http://itouchking.66ghz.com/ **

Introducing Camera Prime, THE all-in-one camera app! Camera Prime will help you take the best possible photos by offering you its many useful features! These features include:

GEOTAGGING (iOS 4.1+ only): Camera Prime can embed location information in your photos/videos, just like the default camera app! That means you can see where your photos/videos were taken when uploading them to Flickr, viewing them in iPhoto, viewing them in the Photos app "Places" tab, etc."

Hipstamatic has dropped to $.99 for the first time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hipstamatic/id342115564?mt=8)

"Digital photography never looked so analog. The Hipstamatic brings back the look, feel, unpredictable beauty, and fun of plastic toy cameras of the past! The Hipstamatic keeps the the quirks of shooting old school but gives you the ability to swap lenses, film, and flash settings all with the swipe of a finger.

Characterized by vignettes, blurring, over saturation, discolored images, Hipstaprints have a casual and seemingly accidental snapshot feel. The Hipstamatic can be downloaded to any iPhone sporting the 3.1 or beyond software update. For $1.99 you can download the base model Hipstamatic 150 which includes the John S, Jimmy, and Kaimal Lenses, as well as Blanko, Ina's 1969, and Kodot Verichrome film and two standard flashes complete with humming sound. Additional lenses, films, and flashes are bundled within the app as 'Hipstapaks' and start at 99 cents. Each Hipstapak includes multiple items.

Pictures taken with the Hipstamatic have their very own look and unique character. Artistic and painted with light and quirk, Hipstamatic images are sometimes surprising and offer a delicate beauty turning any iPhone into an instant art making machine. Images can be uploaded directly to Facebook, Flickr, or emailed to your friends and family."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back