iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

[quote name='theflicker']
Picked up a bunch from the EA sale. Wife is pretty happy about Snood HD.[/QUOTE]

How are the controls? I've always held off because it supposedly doesn't control very well.

[quote name='kingtopher']How are the controls? I've always held off because it supposedly doesn't control very well.[/QUOTE]

They were a little dodgy at first, but she got the hang of it. Might be a touch too sensitive and I didn't really check to see if there's any way to adjust that. Still, she was enjoying it so I'd say it's right for this price.

[quote name='theflicker']I guess he sort of does have a monopoly on the excitement in this thread. What an ass.

Picked up a bunch from the EA sale. Wife is pretty happy about Snood HD.[/QUOTE]
Just put him on "ignore" like the rest of us. Quoting him kind of defeats the purpose.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Just put him on "ignore" like the rest of us. Quoting him kind of defeats the purpose.[/QUOTE]Hah yep...ignore is your friend in this thread for sure, has been for months haha :D

Anyone else having this problem?

For some reason each time I try to click on the "update apps" page on iTunes, it keeps saying "the itunes store is temporarily unavaliable. please try again later". I know it's not iTunes cause my bro just tried on his laptop and he got to it with no problems.

So if Ambitions and World Adventures work without Sims 3, what's the point of actually getting Sims 3? And which of the three are recommended?

[quote name='TheRock88']Anyone else having this problem?

For some reason each time I try to click on the "update apps" page on iTunes, it keeps saying "the itunes store is temporarily unavaliable. please try again later". I know it's not iTunes cause my bro just tried on his laptop and he got to it with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Works fine for me. Updated 5 apps.

[quote name='Malik112099']I totally overlooked Shadow Guardian! Ive been waiting for this game! It is Gameloft's version of Uncharted and it looks great. [/QUOTE]But I hear it doesn't have inverted y-axis aim. Suck.

[quote name='theflicker']I guess he sort of does have a monopoly on the excitement in this thread. What an ass.[/QUOTE]

He's harmless. Leave the guy alone.

That being said, I've spent close to $20 on all these app sales! This is insane!

[quote name='CONMAN999']So if Ambitions and World Adventures work without Sims 3, what's the point of actually getting Sims 3? And which of the three are recommended?[/QUOTE]

Because the Sims 3 came out first?

ambitions is the best, then world adventures, then sims3

[quote name='punkmaggit']He's harmless. Leave the guy alone.
[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ, he's an annoying idiot. The ignore feature has been a godsend.

Wow - I haven't been on CAG for a few days and I come back and this thread has grown by a third. My only wish is that I could just give my wife the $50 Itunes gift card I got her when Wal-Mart had their big sale at the beginning of November - that would go a LONG way to getting me some new games.

How many of these games would run on the 3G well? I picked up the Simpsons Arcade - but what about the NFS games?

[quote name='etcrane']
Oh ... and why isn't Gameloft getting in on this whole Store Wide Sale deal ... really want some of those new games, just not at $6.99 a piece[/QUOTE]

same here, though I know they had a sale for thanksgiving.

really tempted at Aralon and Infinity Blade...but i don't think i can justify spending $6-7 on a single app when i have so many good apps unplayed.

There are so many new releases, CHEAP even...but dropping bucks here and there add up :/

I have mastered self-control! aha!

[quote name='jcp42877']really tempted at Aralon and Infinity Blade...but i don't think i can justify spending $6-7 on a single app when i have so many good apps unplayed.

There are so many new releases, CHEAP even...but dropping bucks here and there add up :/

I have mastered self-control! aha![/QUOTE]

In Infinity Blade's defense, it is by far the best looking game I have ever seen on the iPhone. Better looking than Rage imo ... granted it sort of cheats by not being fully interactive, even to the extent of Rage HD but it is simply awesome. The closest comparison I can make is to Demon Souls on iphone with much much less gameplay and more repetition ... but it's pretty damn incredible for what it is. Just sayin ... it's one app I don't regret spending the $5.99 on.

i broke and bought aralon in a moment of weakness. I mean, it's like Morrowind on the go! at this price for that is a steal. Plus, supposedly this is a intro price, and it will go up to 10. we will see though, it's got still competition.

New FAAD titles in case you're in the mood for a freebie or two:

Bungee Ball Pro
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bungee-ball-pro/id389833902?mt=8)
"In this part puzzle, part action, realistic physics-based game, you get to swing a massive ball at the end of a super-stretchy bungee cord and complete 120 levels of tricks, puzzles and action. The levels start out easy to teach you the skills, but get harder and harder. (If you can beat all 120 levels, we'll be mighty impressed!)"

Tap Zoo: Christmas
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-zoo-christmas/id404100070?mt=8)
"Come celebrate the season and create your very own Christmas Zoo! You're seconds away from building and customizing your own zoo by choosing which animals to buy and breed and customizing your zoo for the little children who come to see Santa. Have fun nurturing and breeding all the different animals! Can you find all of the cross-breeding combinations?"

The new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is the jumper Sir Lovalot (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sir-lovalot/id393639769?mt=8)
"From the creators of Fly Kiwi, Fly! comes a new Hero!
When I say jump, you say "I love you"! Reach a new height in jumping games with Sir Lovalot and the Infinite Tower!
Tilt your device to jump around the tower in full 3D and get Sir Lovalot to climb without harm, rising ever further in search of love. Nobody likes a broken hearted knight.
Help Sir Lovalot, awkward knight(tm), reach the top of the infamous Infinite Tower... of Doooooom -Ok, no doom here, but it sounded more dramatic and it is a pretty tall tower-.
Avoid treacherous traps trying to go as high as possible and become a legend in shining armor rescuing as many beautiful maidens as you can. 
Guide the ever-jumping Sir Lovalot in his vertical quest to become the most kissed hero of all times!
And stay tuned true lovers! the Infinite Tower lies in the Kingdom of Many Many Towers, and more towers, new enemies, new themes and a whole lotta love are a-coming!"

Finger Balance
is the latest Appventcalendar offering (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finger-balance/id368180844?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4)
"Featuring innovative and unique gameplay never seen before in the App Store, Coconut Island, maker of iDragPaper with 7 million players worldwide, is proud to present to you Finger Balance, brand new one of its kind puzzle game for iPhone.
Test the dexterity and stability of your fingers, by balancing a ball on a rod and navigate through challenging and fun levels."

Crazy sale weekend continues...

Star Wars Arcade - $1

Buy Now

Zenonia 2 - $1

Buy

Additionally, lots of other Gamevil games are on sale, same goes for Meridian (alive 4-ever etc).

Update: it turns out Thq is having a storewide sale too. Trench Run, Cantina, de Blob etc are also $1, among others. I'd list but posting from my phone is a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']Crazy sale weekend continues...

Star Wars Arcade - $1

Buy Now

Zenonia 2 - $1

Buy

Additionally, lots of other Gamevil games are on sale, same goes for Meridian (alive 4-ever etc).

Update: it turns out Thq is having a storewide sale too. Trench Run, Cantina, de Blob etc are also $1, among others. I'd list but posting from my phone is a PITA.[/QUOTE]

I got Zenonia 1 last week and still haven't played it. Thanks for the info, definitely gonna buy the second one.

**edit** Hoping squarenix does sales too. Really want FF1 and 2 for the phone, but not $9.00 want.

[quote name='Stimes']Star wars force unleashed is on sale, any good?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it in a while, but I don't regret the dollar I spent on it. Very different than the console version, but cheaper than a cup of coffee and lasts way longer.

Update: Capcom's getting in on the sales fever too.

Resident Evil 4 is $1
Buy

If SF4 drops I'll grab it too. I should probably just wait to post this so as to avoid having to update again. Oh well.

Yesterday night I bought Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit. This morning I got The Sims 3 Ambitions, wasn't too convinced, but after reading several comments from fellow CAGs, guessed I would give a shot (heck, it's just $0.99).

Still roaming around...

Newest Gameloft freebie is up!! Pocket Chef is free and pretty cool I guess. 3D Cooking Mama if you will. I'm not in front of my pc so someone help link the game please! Thanks! :)

Dead Rising dropped a buck down to $3.99 now, though I think it got bad reviews.

Also, Illusia that just released last week for $5 is down to $2.99.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How is Resident Evil 4 on the iPad? Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

I just bought it this morning and played it for a few minutes. It's pretty much like the console versions but a mini port of it which is no problem per se! The controls are spot on and the graphics look awesome for a iOS game!

For .99 it's a no brained if your a resident evil fan or just like horror games in general! I haven't noticed any voice overs but the background music is awesome and has the resident evil atmosphere!

Two words: GET IT!

I've been playing for a few days now... it's pretty fun. If anyone else plays, add me! LawyerGamer.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Does anyone else here play Trade Nations? It's free and fun. You set your villagers to gather resources and build your kingdom up. You can trade with friends and stuff. Add me (PrarieD0G, with a zero)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trade-nations/id379987016?mt=8

I also have been playing Haypi Kingdom (slightly nerdier), and addicting. Sort of the same type of game, except you build a massive army, attack others in the game, join alliances, etc., and there is a lot of strategy involved. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/haypi-kingdom/id341043140?mt=8

Both of these games are free, addicting, and well-done. I highly recommend them if you don't mind slower-paced gameplay. It is very satisfying to watch your town/city evolve over time. I have tried out other "freemium" apps similar to these, and they are nowhere near as good. I haven't spent a dime on them, and I have never felt the need to, either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DtotheP']Crazy sale weekend continues...

Star Wars Arcade - $1

Buy Now

Zenonia 2 - $1

Buy

Update: it turns out Thq is having a storewide sale too. Trench Run, Cantina, de Blob etc are also $1, among others. I'd list but posting from my phone is a PITA.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zeb06']Dead Rising dropped a buck down to $3.99 now, though I think it got bad reviews.

Also, Illusia that just released last week for $5 is down to $2.99.[/QUOTE]

I bet Gamevil is really suffering right now. For awhile they were king of the RPG king, with the Zenonias, Hybrids, and now Illusia. The fact that they dropped the price on their brand new game (which was much anticipated...until all these other games came out) really says something. Good opportunity for the gamers though!

On another related note, Queen's Crown is still at the sale price of 2.99. Worth it?

Since a lot of the games on sale have iPad and iPhone versions (but aren't universal) , is the general feeling that iPad versions when available are the better ones , or does it vary too much from title to title? I don't have an iPad right now , but potentially might get one down the road , and if the iPad version is better then I'd rather do that then possible double dip later.

[quote name='SkyBird']i broke and bought aralon in a moment of weakness. I mean, it's like Morrowind on the go! at this price for that is a steal. Plus, supposedly this is a intro price, and it will go up to 10. we will see though, it's got still competition.[/QUOTE]

Its really good but its nothing like Morrowind and I have no idea why its being advertised like that.

If anything its a offline World of Warcraft.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since a lot of the games on sale have iPad and iPhone versions (but aren't universal) , is the general feeling that iPad versions when available are the better ones , or does it vary too much from title to title? I don't have an iPad right now , but potentially might get one down the road , and if the iPad version is better then I'd rather do that then possible double dip later.[/QUOTE]

It's hit or miss. A majority of the time the iPad version has nothing but prettier graphics. That is bs when that's all they upgrade.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Since a lot of the games on sale have iPad and iPhone versions (but aren't universal) , is the general feeling that iPad versions when available are the better ones , or does it vary too much from title to title? I don't have an iPad right now , but potentially might get one down the road , and if the iPad version is better then I'd rather do that then possible double dip later.[/QUOTE]

I've found games that have a lot of controls, like some strategy games, work well with the extra real estate. I haven't double dipped on many games, but the urge is strong :). Infinity Blade, Monkey Island and Lego Harry Potter look and play awesome on iPad. Simple-to-control games like Fruit Ninja, The Incident or Monster Dash gain practically nothing from the extra space. The dreaded (to me) virtual D-pad games like Geometry Wars get a little better, but only marginally.

TapTap Metallica, otherwise known as Metallica Revenge, has finally dropped to .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/metallica-revenge/id335928959?mt=8).
"SOME HUGE GAME FEATURES TOTALLY NEW TO THE TAP TAP REVENGE FAMILY ....
• 10 huge rock mega-hits by Metallica
• 4 boss tracks, with some of the most difficult tapping action ever in Tap Tap Revenge.
• Hard tracks in landscape mode with four rails, and an incredible Extreme mode with tracks in landscape mode with FIVE rails. Another Tap Tap Revenge first!
• Arcade mode, allowing you to test your mettle against weapons thrown at you by the computer.
• Battle mode, so that you can go head to head against your friends on Bluetooth, lobbing weapons at one another to break streak and gain the advantage!
• Four addictive difficulty levels, each with unlockable boss tracks
• Superior stability, blazing performance, a Metallica news feed, and Facebook Connect to flaunt your scores to the World."

EDIT: Lady Gaga Revenge is also currently available for .99 but I'm less enthused about that one (http://itunes.apple.com/app/lady-gaga-revenge/id318472766?mt=8).

[quote name='Wargamer']About the Sims 3 and expansions:
-Are they worth it on a iPad only user?
-Which of them are best/better?[/QUOTE]

Anyone?:-({|=

[quote name='DtotheP']I read a few reviews before biting the bullet during the last sale, and they all said Ambitions was the best of the 3 iOS games. It supposedly contains a lot of requested features from the full game that are missing in the previous iOS entries. I personally own and enjoy it, wish it was retina though.[/QUOTE]

Ended up picking up Ambitions, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back