I've got a major moral dilemma and I need EVERYONE's opinion.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='punqsux']trust me its fraud. fraud is lying for profit.[/quote]

I don't think so for a couple of reasons: (1) There are no damages in this example. The definition of fraud includes damages. You could argue that the damages are the lost profit on one game but that is, at best, a weak argument; and more importantly (2) There is no material misrepresentation - another requirement of fraud. The only things material in this situation is the receipt and the unopened game. The reciept is evidence that the game was purchased at the store. Who actually bought it does not matter one bit.

Don't tell me that if I return something to the store for my wife with the reciept I'm committing fraud. Does it matter in that sense that I did not actually buy it? What if the two people in this situation were brothers? Would that make a difference to you? This is not fraud - at all.[/quote]

(1) yes the losses on the game are the stores damages. it might be a tiny 1/100th of a percent compared to their overall profits, but it counts.

(2)the game is misrepresentational because its not from that store.

the analogy with your wife is kind of putting words in my mouth. if you return something for a freind that is the actual product bought, then yes, thats fine.

i think we need a 3rd party to decide this, because we dont seem to be budging :wink:

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='punqsux']trust me its fraud. fraud is lying for profit.[/quote]

I don't think so for a couple of reasons: (1) There are no damages in this example. The definition of fraud includes damages. You could argue that the damages are the lost profit on one game but that is, at best, a weak argument; and more importantly (2) There is no material misrepresentation - another requirement of fraud. The only things material in this situation is the receipt and the unopened game. The reciept is evidence that the game was purchased at the store. Who actually bought it does not matter one bit.

Don't tell me that if I return something to the store for my wife with the reciept I'm committing fraud. Does it matter in that sense that I did not actually buy it? What if the two people in this situation were brothers? Would that make a difference to you? This is not fraud - at all.[/quote]

And the point flew right over your head......

Read slower this time, I'm afraid your frail mind wont understand.

-If you were returning something for your wife your doing two things.
Returning the "thing" with the receipt it was bought with....
for the same price you (your wife) bought it for.

-This kid is returning a game he bought on sale, (more like a misprint, they were nice enough to grant him the game cause the valued him as a customer - being that state law doesnt require you to sell an item if its a misprint) for a price for 10X what he paid for it, with a reciept that isnt even his.

The example doesnt even begin to add up to the reality of the situation. Thanks for playing though.[/quote]

First - you can shove your attitude up your ass. Second - I don't give a shit if he tongued the manager's balls to get the sale price - it is irrelevant for this analysis. He has a reciept from the store that says the game was purchased there for $50. He has such game in his possession and is going to return it for what the receipt shows. The SKU numbers on the back of all games are identical. It is as if he is bringing back the copy of the game for his friend. You seem to be trying to make a distinction where there is none. Jesus, is it that hard to understand?

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='punqsux']trust me its fraud. fraud is lying for profit.[/quote]

(1) yes the losses on the game are the stores damages. it might be a tiny 1/100th of a percent compared to their overall profits, but it counts.

the analogy with your wife is kind of putting words in my mouth. if you return something for a freind that is the actual product bought, then yes, thats fine.

i think we need a 3rd party to decide this, because we dont seem to be budging :wink:[/quote]

i'll be the 3rd party :D

the situation with you returning stuff for your wife is different from returning your stuff using your wife's receipt from a different store. while the product maybe the same, the item itself is not the same hence you are trying to defraud the store by returning an item that you did not buy.

I wouldn't return it to the store. I would sell ...
I mean give it to your dear friend mr_hockey66 since he is a major cheap ass and can not afford it and its all most holiday time so. Yeah thats what I would do.

[quote name='javeryh']He has such game in his possession and is going to return it for what the receipt shows. The SKU numbers on the back of all games are identical. It is as if he is bringing back the copy of the game for his friend. You seem to be trying to make a distinction where there is none. Jesus, is it that hard to understand?[/quote]

the game in his possesion is not from the store that the recipt is from.
no, he will not get caught doing this, i doubt the store will even give it a second thought.
that is not the point here.
he is not returning his friends copy.

he is defruading a store to profit $45, theres no way aorund it.

[quote name='punqsux'](1) yes the losses on the game are the stores damages. it might be a tiny 1/100th of a percent compared to their overall profits, but it counts.[/quote]

I'll give you this but keep in mind the law puts everyone in the position they would have been in had the "fraud" not happened. What happens when the store sells the game to someone else? Then the damages + the profit on that sale would be a windfall and that's a no-no. However, there is a complicated analysis about lost profits blah, blah, blah because in theory they might always be one sale behind now (even though there is actually a finite number of games to sell) etc.....

[quote name='punqsux'](2)the game is misrepresentational because its not from that store.[/quote]

This is where I think your argument falls apart because it is not a unique item. There is nothing special about a particular copy of Ace Combat 5 to be able to make this arguement matter. It's the same reasoning as to why it doesn't matter when you are buying the game in the first place that it came from Walmart, EB, GameStop, etc. It just doesn't matter - it is still going to play on your PS2 (unless you have mine in which case you will just get a DRE :p )

[quote name='dude2003'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='javeryh'][quote name='punqsux']trust me its fraud. fraud is lying for profit.[/quote]

i think we need a 3rd party to decide this, because we dont seem to be budging :wink:[/quote]

i'll be the 3rd party :D

the situation with you returning stuff for your wife is different from returning your stuff using your wife's receipt from a different store. while the product maybe the same, the item itself is not the same hence you are trying to defraud the store by returning an item that you did not buy.[/quote]

I was just about to say this but you beat me to it.

I'd keep it and play it because it's a really awesome game. This also begs the question why the hell did you take this deal away from another CAG if you didn't even what the damn game in the first place?

Do it. Do it now. Actually ebay it for a decent price.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I like how every Noob is like "Do it"......must be nice to be 13 again.[/quote]

Care to elaborate? I have a different set of morals...no no wait....I have a different way of viewing this situation given my set of good morals, so I'm a 13 year old noob? I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='punqsux']trust me its fraud. fraud is lying for profit.[/quote]

But by a legal definition both your reasons are wrong. Like it or not the $45 the store is losing is considered a damage. And the material misrepresentation IS the receipt and the game. It's not an issue of who bought the $5 game or the $50 game, but an issue of the reciept does not belong to the purchase involving the $5 game therefore you are indeed misrepresenting the material in this case.

Also you ending examples are totally different because of the same reason for the misrepresentation. Assuming that someone's wife or brother gave them premission to do return it, the fraud has nothing to do with his friend giving him premission to use that receipt. A case for fraud would be based upon the fact that the receipt he gave you isn't the correct one and is being misused and misrepresented. An argument for fraud could indeed be made, but considering it's only $45 the real argument is whether or not the case for fraud would be made.

I hereby retract my previous statement. After seeing this post, I realize that trying to start an intelligent discussion with you is most likely a futile endeavor.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Thats like shaq-fuing them in the ass, and then making them suck your shitty dick...thats a little TOO much man. Just enjoy you got the ass you little homo.[/quote]

[quote name='dude2003']i'll be the 3rd party :D

the situation with you returning stuff for your wife is different from returning your stuff using your wife's receipt from a different store. while the product maybe the same, the item itself is not the same hence you are trying to defraud the store by returning an item that you did not buy.[/quote]

I still disagree. OK, I buy Ace Combat 5 from EB for $50. Then I go to Sears and buy Ace Combat 5 for $5. I get home from my nice day of shopping and decide, you know what? Even though I have a PS2 in my bedroom and downstairs and I buy 2 copies of everything because I'm rich and lazy I don't think I really want Ace Combat 5. I then bring copy 1 (bought at Sears) and return it to EB and vice versa. Oh my God I'm going to jail!

It doesn't matter that the exact copies are different - because they are really the same!

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='dude2003']i'll be the 3rd party :D

I still disagree. OK, I buy Ace Combat 5 from EB for $50. Then I go to Sears and buy Ace Combat 5 for $5. I get home from my nice day of shopping and decide, you know what? Even though I have a PS2 in my bedroom and downstairs and I buy 2 copies of everything because I'm rich and lazy I don't think I really want Ace Combat 5. I then bring copy 1 (bought at Sears) and return it to EB and vice versa. Oh my God I'm going to jail!

It doesn't matter that the exact copies are different - because they are really the same![/quote]

if you're rich and lazy you wouldn't be returning anything then right? :D

good point there but what you just describe is an honest mistake and not purposely trying to defraud a store so you can make a profit.

It doesn't matter that the exact copies are different - because they are really the same![/quote]

Technically you're still supposed to return the correct copy, but in that case it probably wouldn't be fraud. However, it's not for the reason you indicate, it's because there is no intent to misrepresent and defraud. You're keeping or returning the other copy to Sears, therefore there'd be no loss or damage to either of the stores. However, in this guiy's case there's a loss of $45 and there's clear intent to misrepresent and defraud.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']But by a legal definition both your reasons are wrong. Like it or not the $45 the store is losing is considered a damage. And the material misrepresentation IS the receipt and the game. It's not an issue of who bought the $5 game or the $50 game, but an issue of the reciept does not belong to the purchase involving the $5 game therefore you are indeed misrepresenting the material in this case. [/quote]

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. I'd be curious to hear your legal definition of fraud... Also, no one is losing $45 - the only thing lost here - and it's a stretch - is the profit from selling one copy of Ace Combat 5.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Also you ending examples are totally different because of the same reason for the misrepresentation. Assuming that someone's wife or brother gave them premission to do return it, the fraud has nothing to do with his friend giving him premission to use that receipt. A case for fraud would be based upon the fact that the receipt he gave you isn't the correct one and is being misused and misrepresented. An argument for fraud could indeed be made, but considering it's only $45 the real argument is whether or not the case for fraud would be made.[/quote]

Permission doesn't matter at all. If he gave the "extra $45" to his friend who gave him the reciept would the "fraud" (by your definition) magically disappear? At that point there is no harm to anyone because the store got it's game back and the friend got his $50 - but wouldn't a crime have already occurred prior to handing over the $45? See - that just doesn't make any sense.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']because there is no intent to misrepresent and defraud[/quote]

In a fraud based analysis you have to prove each of the elements to successfully make your case - intent isn't the only element and the argument fails for other reasons...

OK I'm done discussing this...

While it is wrong, the store isn't actually losing any money by you returning it. They're getting a product back to put on the shelves that retails for the exact same amount in which they are giving the refund for. It's an equal exchange. Now, buying 10 copies of Drake and the 99 dragons for $5 each and trading it in for $20 somewhere else is, in my opinion, much worse than doing this. Because, not only will those copies not retail for that price, but no where even close to that.

Aside from everything else, I say return it it just to spite Mooky because he's a complete asshat.

Sears/Kmart needs all the money they can get to stay alive and compete with Wall*Mart, fight for our right to shop at other stores!

Why don't you compromise and take it back to Sears and trade it for a $50 game you want. Sears will sell AC5 and you will get a game you like.

In the end it won't really matter, so what Sears lost some money on the AC5 deal. Its part of doing business thats what door busters are for getting people to the store. Which is what most stores are doing this Black Friday. I for one spent about $150 (not on games) extra while I was there shopping for AC5.

You know if your going to do shady stuff like this you really shouldn't bother posting about it. All that is going to happen is that preachers will come out of the wood work and the forum will get spammed up.

[quote name='rabbitt']So I was talking about the Ace Combat 5 deal with someone at school who recently paid full price for it. He offered to bring me the receipt so I can take AC5 back and get $50. This raises the issue of morality. Please post what you honestly think I should do. Thanks.

--rabbitt[/quote]

Mind if I ask how to get AC5 for $5? I loved AC4 and would love to get such a deal on
AC5.

[quote name='illimiter'][quote name='rabbitt']So I was talking about the Ace Combat 5 deal with someone at school who recently paid full price for it. He offered to bring me the receipt so I can take AC5 back and get $50. This raises the issue of morality. Please post what you honestly think I should do. Thanks.

--rabbitt[/quote]

Mind if I ask how to get AC5 for $5? I loved AC4 and would love to get such a deal on
AC5.[/quote]

Here is the thread you missed it last weekend.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38306

While I generally don't like this sort of thing, I wouldn't feel too bad about returning it as long as you give your friend at least half. EB isn't really at a loss, you get some cash and your friend gets a significant discount. I know if I bought a game and found a better deal later, I would probably return one copy to the more expensive store. I don't feel your situation strays too much from that as long as your friend gets a significant cut (since he's the one who actually wants to play the game and paid full price for). In fact, why don't you help your friend out and sell it to him for the price you got it at and let him deal with the whole return thing. That's just my humble opinion :)

No. Sears was pretty cool to let you by it for $5, so don't screw them for it.

Play it, enjoy it, and download a bunch of CDs to make up the difference.

eh why not? If you return it to say, Wal-Mart, im sure they'll sell it off to someone for $50 and make their profit of it in the near future.

If you feel too bad about doing that, just sell it on eBay.

I did indeed puchase a $5 AC5 from Walmart, and my friend bought a $50 copy from the exact same one. And whether this affects your opinion or not, I just spent $190.xx at Walmart on Sunday.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']But by a legal definition both your reasons are wrong. Like it or not the $45 the store is losing is considered a damage. And the material misrepresentation IS the receipt and the game. It's not an issue of who bought the $5 game or the $50 game, but an issue of the reciept does not belong to the purchase involving the $5 game therefore you are indeed misrepresenting the material in this case. [/quote]

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. I'd be curious to hear your legal definition of fraud... Also, no one is losing $45 - the only thing lost here - and it's a stretch - is the profit from selling one copy of Ace Combat 5.[/quote]

One is liable for fraud when using a false statement or misrepresentation of material importance to induce reliance from another and harm or damages result from the reliance. Also, there are damages, while it's possible the store could indeed sell the game again there's no gaurentee they'd be able to sell that game at all let alone for $50. The fact is Walmart is giving him $45 dollars for something he contractually purchased for $5 (yes, a purchase is technically a contract between buyer & seller for an item at that price), not only are they giving him $45 but under false pretenses. Now say Walmart doesn't move that copy of AC 5 til the next time it's on clearance (not uncommon for a big retail store) for $25, Walmart has technically lost $20. It's no doubt picky, but you wanted legal so I'm giving you a straightfoward legal argument. Yet, legality doesn't always factor in future maybes, so it is indeed a grey area. But the fact remains he's taking $45 in profit from Walmart by misrepresenting that purchase, he's taking it right from their cash drawer, and even if they sell it later like you suggest they are at least taking a temporary loss.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Also you ending examples are totally different because of the same reason for the misrepresentation. Assuming that someone's wife or brother gave them premission to do return it, the fraud has nothing to do with his friend giving him premission to use that receipt. A case for fraud would be based upon the fact that the receipt he gave you isn't the correct one and is being misused and misrepresented. An argument for fraud could indeed be made, but considering it's only $45 the real argument is whether or not the case for fraud would be made.[/quote]

Permission doesn't matter at all. If he gave the "extra $45" to his friend who gave him the reciept would the "fraud" (by your definition) magically disappear? At that point there is no harm to anyone because the store got it's game back and the friend got his $50 - but wouldn't a crime have already occurred prior to handing over the $45? See - that just doesn't make any sense.[/quote]

Permission doesn't matter in the case of fraud, No you're right, and I believe I mentioned that. However, it's certainly illegal to return something someone else purchased without their permission be it a spouse, family member, etc. In fact it's theft, that's whay I wanted to clarify it.

You misunderstood what I said, I'll give a definition of misrepresentation to clear things up though. It's simply an assertion that isn't in line iwth the truth. There are really two flavors though, innocent and fraudulent. In this case seeing how it's being done with the knowledge that it's false, it would of the fraudulent variety. Knowingly using a reciept that isn't from his purchase (thus making it a false one) is techinically fraudulent misrepresentation.

But to answer your question, no any and all claims of fraud wouldn't disappear, but actually things would only change a little. Why? Well because his friend is at even more fault for taking a profit in the deal. Your example makes sense, you just assumed that it didnt because you beleived the answer was yes. It makes perfect sense that'd they'd both technically be liable for the fraud now on the basis that he is now the middle man in the whole scheme and his friend is the one actually making $45 from Walmart. Our man only gets his $5 dollars back and all may seem right save for the fact that he knowingly misrepresented fact from a purchase to gain $45, the only that really changed is he gave the $45 to someone, who then knowingly accepted it. Nothing really changed except the $45 ended up in someone else's hand. Let's take the example to me giving you a bat (totally hypothetical btw we all know we're good folk here), knowing you're using to it rob somebody. You hit them, rob them, take their money, etc. Only now you come back and give me most of the money, well now I'm twice as liable not only for providing you with the tool for your misdeed, bu also from profitting from it and you're still liable for robbing someone. Here someone gave him a tool for misuse in the framework of fraud, no matter what happens afterwards the fraud is still there.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']because there is no intent to misrepresent and defraud[/quote]

In a fraud based analysis you have to prove each of the elements to successfully make your case - intent isn't the only element and the argument fails for other reasons...

OK I'm done discussing this...[/quote]

Intent isn't obviously the only thing you look at, but is quite major. If a judge looked at example like you provided he/she would probably trhow it out citing there's no intent a major component of any fraud case. I mean theoretically the elements behind fraud are still there yet without intent, fraud really doesn't exist in the sense that you liable for it. And yes, the example you mentioned fails for one other big reason. There is no room for damage. If you return one copy to EB then you get the $50 back you purchased it with there and you keep what you bought for $5 from Walmart. Or you return both. Either way, even if you mix up the games upon returning them, you aren't gaining anything and the stores aren't losing anything. Where is this case here, Wlamrt would potentially be losing $45 and he'd be making $50 from a falsity.

Alright, so if you're done so am I, just figured I'd throw out my counter point. Sorry about this but I'm a sucker for a legal argument...must be hereditary or something I dunno. Anyways I wish you the best.

ok im just catching up on this thread so i might be posting 4 or 5 in a row.

if you bought the $50 game, and the $5 game (which is not the case here) it would still be the same. if i bought a $50 game and then found it for $5 id be right there returning the $5 copy for $50. that dosent make it legal, nor right.

Considering how this thread has gone, I don't really see a need to pile on. Just about everything that needs saying has already been said.

i dont really see the big deal... if you want the money, do it.

would be the same thing as your friend taking his back and getting his $50 back and giving you the 50 for your $5 Ace combat, to help you make $45.. he wouldnt be losing anything.

karma is bullshit.

[quote name='JSweeney']Considering how this thread has gone, I don't really see a need to pile on. Just about everything that needs saying has already been said.[/quote]

I agree. But it's still nice to see where everyone is moraly on CAG.

I wouldn't return it to the place that just hooked you up with a sweet deal. Have you ever told someone that they need to give you more stuff after giving you a birthday present? That's what it would be like (in my opinion). If you want the money, sell it on ebay. You will be making a nice profit and not screwing the place that just hooked you up.

I found the middle ground solution . . . go with your buddy and return it at point-of-purchase . . . then spend the $50 on games for both of you (30 you - 20 buddy). The store still keeps the 50 . . . you are rewarded and your buddy makes out. Plus, he lends you AC5 to play when he's done.

Your friendship is deepened.

[quote name='schultzed']I found the middle ground solution . . . go with your buddy and return it at point-of-purchase . . . then spend the $50 on games for both of you (30 you - 20 buddy). The store still keeps the 50 . . . you are rewarded and your buddy makes out. Plus, he lends you AC5 to play when he's done.

Your friendship is deepened.[/quote]

And you're still commiting fraud.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='schultzed']I found the middle ground solution . . . go with your buddy and return it at point-of-purchase . . . then spend the $50 on games for both of you (30 you - 20 buddy). The store still keeps the 50 . . . you are rewarded and your buddy makes out. Plus, he lends you AC5 to play when he's done.

Your friendship is deepened.[/quote]

And you're still commiting fraud.[/quote]

hey jsweeney...look...a dead horse!

do you have your bat?

:lol:

bread's done
Back