Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone knows the secret to avoiding deadly spiders is to roll at perpendicular angles away from the source.

Yeah i hate it when publishers do this. First you buy their product, then they release it on another platform. Then they have the gall to come into your house and steal your stuff. This one time NISA came into my house and even peed on my rug. It really tied the room together.
Haha, nice reference

They're not region locked, but the O and X buttons are reversed, so you will need to deal with that if you're not used to it yet.
Most games actually set to the region of the game, so even though the menus and stuff function reversed with the X/O, once you start most US games, they actually default to the US button set up.

Also, they now allow for button assignments as well, but that actually just added more confusion to me, so I just use it as default, and it's never bothered me much. I got used to it rather quickly.

Its the art book and soundtrack for exists archive exclusive to PS4?
It shows Vita and PS4 in the tweet, so I'm assuming both. I'll be going with the Vita and saving $10. Plus I don't own a PS4, so it's my only option anyway. LOL

Persona 5 Gets New Trailer Starring Caroline and Justine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZqvL4JMak

Akiba’s Beat’s Latest English Trailer Shows Off Its Main Cast, Maids, Battle Scenes, And More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEy5Mxa37ao

Final Fantasy XV Shares Another Look At The Ice Queen Shiva

Valkyria: Azure Revolution’s Latest Demo Will Be Available Starting October 6 In Japan

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 PlayStation VR update delayed

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk details Femto, Infinite Eclipse Mode, strengthening, and Behelit collecting

Root Letter ‘Pen Pal Edition’ announced - Rice Digital - PS4 $89.99, Vita $79.99

2lpf0x.jpg

The Pen Pal Edition will include:

• Standard version of Root Letter
  • Premium Art Book as released in Japan, but fully localized into English
  • The Official Root Letter Soundtrack
  • Fumino Aya’s letter and envelope set as featured in Root Letter itself
  • Stunning, high-quality, Minoboshi Taro Giclée Print on Hahnemuhle paper
  • Fumino Aya Handbag presentation box

Seems like a pretty good price. The physical PS4 version is $25 (doesn't seem to be free shipping though) from Gamefly, Amazon for about $30, and ebay could get you a used one for $25 shipped. So at least $9 less than a physical PS4 copy seems to be going for right now
Best buy has them pre-owned for $20 ($18 GCU) if you want to go that route and it's available for shipping.

Guilty Gear Revelator is also $24/$20, which is insane seeing as that game just came out and the physical copies never go down in price. I think the Dizzy DLC was free as well some point. Nevermind, it was Raven and Kum that was free DLC on release, Dizzy is $8 T_T.

SAO Re is also $5.

Nep 7 is also $15, I think this is also the lowest it has been.

Nitro+ Blasterz $12, Omega Quintet $6, too lazy to link sorry.

Guilty Gear Revelator is also $24/$20, which is insane seeing as that game just came out and the physical copies never go down in price. I think the Dizzy DLC was free as well some point. Nevermind, it was Raven and Kum that was free DLC on release, Dizzy is $8 T_T.

SAO Re is also $5.

Nep 7 is also $15, I think this is also the lowest it has been.

Nitro+ Blasterz $12, Omega Quintet $6, too lazy to link sorry.
I vaguely the Nep game being $12 or so in the last sale, at least that's what I think I paid for it....

I vaguely the Nep game being $12 or so in the last sale, at least that's what I think I paid for it....
Yes, it was $11.99 during a sale around 6/14.

I think the Dizzy DLC was free as well some point. Nevermind, it was Raven and Kum that was free DLC on release, Dizzy is $8 T_T.
I'm pretty sure Dizzy was free at some point as it's in one of my old weekly free PSN DLC posts. It may have been a mistake and very temporary, but it was still there. It was also one of the ones I didn't take advantage of because I don't play fighters anymore so I can't say with 100% certainty that it let you through checkout at the time either though.

In for Nitroplus and maybe Darius (Vita) too bad that's not crossbuy but I guess playing it on PSTV is close enough.

Best buy has them pre-owned for $20 ($18 GCU) if you want to go that route and it's available for shipping.
That's what I did, but the fact that Cyber Sleuth was a Vita game in Japan first and the gameplay seems to fit better in a portable format coupled with Gamestop giving me $19.20 for the PS4 version means I might jump on the $16 PSN price.

Yes, it was $11.99 during a sale around 6/14.

I'm pretty sure Dizzy was free at some point as it's in one of my old weekly free PSN DLC posts. It may have been a mistake and very temporary, but it was still there. It was also one of the ones I didn't take advantage of because I don't play fighters anymore so I can't say with 100% certainty that it let you through checkout at the time either though.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going to assume it's a price mistake at launch that got corrected since I missed it as well, but got Raven and Kum. I also doubt they gave out a free $8 character on purpose.

trailer for akibas beat looks actually pretty fun.  Reminds me of tales of combat.  When is that coming out in na and is it physical or digital?

Any thoughts on Senran Kagura Bon Appetit? It is just a rhythm game?

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going to assume it's a price mistake at launch that got corrected since I missed it as well, but got Raven and Kum. I also doubt they gave out a free $8 character on purpose.
Dizzy doesn't show as purchased in the ps store for me, but I thought I got it. I don't know if it is the case for you as well. However, I checked my download/purchased list, and it does show Dizzy is there. I don't have the game to check (may be tempted to buy it but I rather have the physical copy, so I'm debating), but it shows all the addons are installed on my system, so maybe you can check to see if it is in your transactions/download list as well?

Aaaaaaand the Cold Steel II DLC is finally out. Now that I've beaten the game, I have far less of a desire to actually buy it even though I'll still go through it one or two more times. I don't think that's all of the DLC because it's missing a bunch of the "premium" item packs (free ones are available) and shining pom bait sets that's available on the Japanese PSN, but I assume those will eventually make it as well. All the cosmetic stuff is available though. I'll list the free stuff next Tuesday as per usual.

I'll still probably buy it though. This is probably the only series I'd do that for too. God damnit XSeed.

Any thoughts on Senran Kagura Bon Appetit? It is just a rhythm game?

Dizzy doesn't show as purchased in the ps store for me, but I thought I got it. I don't know if it is the case for you as well. However, I checked my download/purchased list, and it does show Dizzy is there. I don't have the game to check (may be tempted to buy it but I rather have the physical copy, so I'm debating), but it shows all the addons are installed on my system, so maybe you can check to see if it is in your transactions/download list as well?
Hmm, you're defintely correct, I checked on my download list and I got it on 7/18. Too bad I never download my content to my PS4 after purchase, so it's probably stuck in Limbo, it doesn't even give me the PS4 version, just a PS3 one and a N/A one. Perhaps it's just a code to unlock it in-game? I also am holding out for a physical copy so I won't be able to test this theory either but am really interested.

Root Letter ‘Pen Pal Edition’ announced - Rice Digital - PS4 $89.99, Vita $79.99
2lpf0x.jpg

The Pen Pal Edition will include:

• Standard version of Root Letter
  • Premium Art Book as released in Japan, but fully localized into English
  • The Official Root Letter Soundtrack
  • Fumino Aya’s letter and envelope set as featured in Root Letter itself
  • Stunning, high-quality, Minoboshi Taro Giclée Print on Hahnemuhle paper
  • Fumino Aya Handbag presentation box
Rice's ridiculous shipping price is really helping me cut down on unnecessary CEs

Yeah, I'm definitely picking it up this time if Its compatible with the PSTV.
They are. However Rorona Plus may not be downloadable directly through the PSTV PSN Store directly. You may need to queue it up via the webstore. Not sure if they've fixed that yet.

Their poor ass packaging did it for me, but the high shipping was just icing on the cake! LOL
What's worse is that the shipping cost doesn't even seem to be based on weight or size. I wanted to buy a two disc documentary Blu Ray in standard case on their sister site and was quoted the same outrageous shipping fee.

What's worse is that the shipping cost doesn't even seem to be based on weight or size. I wanted to buy a two disc documentary Blu Ray in standard case on their sister site and was quoted the same outrageous shipping fee.
Sadly, I think it's mostly for orders to have proper tracking, as I personally had an order go missing, and while they replaced it right away, they where out that money in the end. And based on the damages I received as well, insurance coverage may be a factor as well.

The damages could be stopped all together with proper packaging, but in my own experiences, UK companies have the worst shipping and packaging practices I've ever seen, hands down. The boxes and poster tubes I've gotten over the years have been beyond poor quality, and I wouldn't have used them to move items across the street, let alone shipping overseas.

The damages could be stopped all together with proper packaging, but in my own experiences, UK companies have the worst shipping and packaging practices I've ever seen, hands down. The boxes and poster tubes I've gotten over the years have been beyond poor quality, and I wouldn't have used them to move items across the street, let alone shipping overseas.
Maybe their postal works don't throw the packages so they haven't need to be so stringent.

Sadly, I think it's mostly for orders to have proper tracking, as I personally had an order go missing, and while they replaced it right away, they where out that money in the end. And based on the damages I received as well, insurance coverage may be a factor as well.

DHL has always been good for me internationally(hate their domestic services) but any other countries regular post is pretty much garbage to me.

Yay! I got my order for Criminal Girls Party Bag Edition in! Anyone who's been trying might wanna give it a go if you happen to read this at the time it was posted.

Great price for Atelier trilogy. GET IT~!
I am so behind on these games that I am just finishing up Meruru. I am actually contemplating if I shouldn't buy the dusk series yet until an inevitable sale like this one with all 3 games in one.... Though I feel as if that won't happen for another 2 years >.<

Yay! I got my order for Criminal Girls Party Bag Edition in! Anyone who's been trying might wanna give it a go if you happen to read this at the time it was posted.
It's so weird, I've been trying for a week or two to add it to the cart and it just denies me every time, the stock alert feature never pops for me either. I wish their site would factually represent what they've got for sale. Tried to buy the Harvest Moon set too and it just scrubs my cart/order when I click to confirm the order.

Yeah, I'm definitely picking it up this time if Its compatible with the PSTV.
Yup, It is compatible.

I am so behind on these games that I am just finishing up Meruru. I am actually contemplating if I shouldn't buy the dusk series yet until an inevitable sale like this one with all 3 games in one.... Though I feel as if that won't happen for another 2 years >.<
They probably will eventually. But Shallie Plus isn't out yet so it'll be quite a while. I would at least recommend you wait until each of them hits $20 if you're not in a hurry. Ayesha plus hit $20 within a year and E&L probably will too.

From the store description, it sounds like you have to install all three games at once, which takes up almost 9 GB. Is this true or can you install the games separately?
When you buy it, you'll get access to 3 separate downloads. So you can choose to download one at a time.

Yup, It is compatible.

They probably will eventually. But Shallie Plus isn't out yet so it'll be quite a while. I would at least recommend you wait until each of them hits $20 if you're not in a hurry. Ayesha plus hit $20 within a year and E&L probably will too.

When you buy it, you'll get access to 3 separate downloads. So you can choose to download one at a time.
I wonder if they will get a physical 40$ triple pack at some point? Of course it wouldn't get localized or it'd only be for the ps3 games.

I wish they would have put the individual Arland games on sale as well, or at least given people who own one or two of them a discount. $37 or whatever it is is a great deal for three games, but Rorona+ is the only one I'm missing (since I bought and played it on PS3 originally), and I know it's been on sale for $20 before.

Yakuza 6 Shows the Power of the New Dragon Engine in 40 Minutes of Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnDK7vK2ZQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GZ593zI8Wg

World of Final Fantasy in 23 Minutes of PS4 Gameplay; Shows Boss Battle, Tidus and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqjU8w3Org

Final Fantasy XV New Gameplay: Regalia Customization, Fishing and Much More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEV2mhhN_BI

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Looks Glorious in 16 Minutes of Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKAW0ZnmbU

This week is the week of the 3DS releases it seems. Nothing listed on the PC side of things that I could have easily missed due to it being an end-of-month list and there's a lot of non-specific dated games listed. It makes it easy to overlook things.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- The Cube Hotel (P&C Adventure / Visual Novel)
- Dead End Junction (Visual Novel)
- Requiescence (Visual Novel)
- The Rosefinch Curse (Ning's Wing 1) (Visual Novel / Puzzle / Horror)

Weekly Releases (September 25th - October 1st)

River City: Tokyo Rumble
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Action / Beat'em Up
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Local Wi-Fi Only

- Comments: Physical edition is Amazon only it looks like? Sounds like the physical edition will be available for purchase on release day. Source.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
- Genre: Action-Adventure / Platformer
- Online: Yes

Ninja Usagimaru: The Mysterious Karakuri Castle
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Might be digital only.

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
- Genre: Action Platformer

Yokai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Roguelike / RPG
- Demo: Yes
- Comments: This is the physical release by Limited Run Games. No physical release for the PC version.

Gal*Gun: Double Peace
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Rail Shooter
- Comments: Already released on PS4 & Vita.

Past Releases
September 18th - September 24th
September 11th - September 17th
September 4th - September 10th
August 28th - September 3rd
August 21st - August 27th

Really hoping River City is orderable on the 27th again on Amazon.  Seems like it has been "currenty unavailable" ever since the page went up or was I just too slow?

Really hoping River City is orderable on the 27th again on Amazon. Seems like it has been "currenty unavailable" ever since the page went up or was I just too slow?
I read just recently, that the Amazon version will be listed at release, and won't be available for preorder. But it is supposed to be up on release, and the keychain bonus is first come, first served.

The Digimon New Order Vita version was found to have a disabled English script in the Asia version. Pirates are playing it now.

bread's done
Back