Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd buy this just for the mahjong tiles.
Same here. Considering MJ tiles aren't that cheap either and this makes a great pick up. My only concern is whether they are full size tiles or more of a mini variation.

Played with both and mini ones are a bitch to set up.

The Fate Mahjong set is nice, but importing that would be expensive since tiles are usually heavy.

On another note, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star on PS4 or Switch? PS4 version is tempting since I could pick up the Noble Phantasm edition for less but I heard the Switch version is the definitive version. Anybody know if there is any limitation on the switch version?

On another note, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star on PS4 or Switch? PS4 version is tempting since I could pick up the Noble Phantasm edition for less but I heard the Switch version is the definitive version. Anybody know if there is any limitation on the switch version?
IIRC the PS4 and Steam versions run at 60 FPS while Switch runs at 30 FPS. Switch comes with DLC costumes included though and you have to buy them for PS4/PC, so it's a choice between better performance or DLC costumes. I'd go with performance personally.

Just curious, but how many of us are getting Monster Hunter World at launch?
Fairly certain I'm getting it at launch on PS4 with a friend of mine. I could never really get into the previous Monster Hunter games (Controls/Loading mainly), but based on the beta this one should be fine for me. Since that's the case, I fully expect to be terrible.

Play-Asia has a Flash Sale right now for Wonder Boy(Asian release). $24.99 for the NS, and $19.99 for the PS4. For those who do't care about the US version, it might be a good deal for you as this is the multi language version.

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2018/01/05/flash-sale-wonder-boy-dragons-trap/?ref=email&utm_source=Play-Asia+HK+Main+List&utm_campaign=ced9fb6b87-20180105_Play-Asia.com_Newsletter_Opti&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e86aa9ca51-ced9fb6b87-29132527&mc_cid=ced9fb6b87&mc_eid=d717133e21

JP for Fate/Extella Link Premium AmiAmi 13,580 JPY

AmiAmi bonus is a Scathach wall scroll for about 1000 yen more

GAME-0019486_01.jpg

-PS4 Fate/EXTELLA LINK
[Premium Limited Edition Bundled Item]
-Newly illustrated mah-jong tiles by Arco Wada "Tsuki no sei pai set"
-Newly illustrated deluxe box by Arco Wada
-Scathach costume "Makyou no Sergeant" product code
-Fate/EXTELLA LINK Original Soundtrack
GAME-0019480_09.jpg
I don't even know how to play mah-jong, but I need this CE.

I'll likely double-dip on Extella Link like I did with the regular Extella (actually, I think I might have triple or quadruple-dipped? lol)

That wall scroll is pretty nice too.

I don't even know how to play mah-jong, but I need this CE.

I'll likely double-dip on Extella Link like I did with the regular Extella (actually, I think I might have triple or quadruple-dipped? lol)

That wall scroll is pretty nice too.
Mah Jong is super fun, you definitely should give it a try. Compared to poker, winning (money) is a good balance between having a poker face, skill, probability calculation and of course luck.

What is the equipment like in Monster Hunter?  Do you get a paper doll with strong, unique loot options, or not really?  Skimming through that 25min gameplay video I see several menus but don't notice any equipment.   It may sound shallow, but I think I could get into this game if there was loot. 

What is the equipment like in Monster Hunter? Do you get a paper doll with strong, unique loot options, or not really? Skimming through that 25min gameplay video I see several menus but don't notice any equipment. It may sound shallow, but I think I could get into this game if there was loot. If not, I doubt it.
How did you like other MH clones?

Ragnorok Odyssey, God Eater 1/2, Toukiden 1/2 etc.

Is there any loot in Monster Hunter? What?
oh look, passive-agressive jab #35 from Elessar over the last few years. You know what? I'm done with you. You're not interested in having any sort of conversation. You never were. I've given you more slack than just about anyone too, wondering if you'd ever come around. Nope. We probably have more in common than 98% of people you meet too. :bomb: Pretty sad, dude.

It was a simple question.

How did you like other MH clones?

Ragnorok Odyssey, God Eater 1/2, Toukiden 1/2 etc.
I have never played a Monster Hunter game, nor any of those derivatives, so I don't know! Are they loot driven games or not really?

oh look, passive-agressive jab #35 from Elessar over the last few years. You know what? I'm done with you. You're not interested in having any sort of conversation. You never were. I've given you more slack than just about anyone too, wondering if you'd ever come around. Nope. We probably have more in common than 98% of people you meet too. :bomb: Pretty sad, dude.

It was a simple question.

I have never played a Monster Hunter game, nor any of those derivatives, so I don't know! Are they loot driven games or not really?
I would say yes, if my definition of "loot driven" is the same as your "loot driven", but "MH" type is really a thing of its own. I think trying it out with a cheaper clone (like Toukiden) is a good start before paying full/GCU price on MH. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of MH type games, but somehow still played most of the clones (because many reasons)... My latest was God Eater (because I really liked the anime), and to get a better equipment you need a monster drop ("loot"?), which you need to go to the map, and sometimes this monster spawns and sometimes it doesn't, and when it does it sometimes drops and sometimes doesn't. Maybe hitting it in some way increases the drop odds and you need to look up guides and do your research. So I could spend hours without getting any progression at all, which some people like but I personally cannot tolerate much. MH type games require dedication, which is hard for me because I play on the Vita, and shuffling between my Vita and my phone for guides/drop lists is very bothersome.

The MHW leak mentioned 35 total bigs, which everyone thought meant we're getting 35 monsters in the game.

Then Capcom said "we'll add more monsters as DLC" which would raise that number up...

Turns out NOPE it's about 25+ monsters in the game with the rest being DLC starting with Deviljho.

2018 is already much disappoint.. 

On a separate note..

After 143 hours I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last night. I won't get into a long rant why it's so fucking sad that people dismissed the game because "anime tropes" or "resolution" or w/e.. That's their loss.

All I'll say is that playing that game from about chapter 6 onward was the closest I've ever felt like playing an old school (to me old school means PS1 era games) JRPG like Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9.

The music, the cutscenes the drama developing. Man I was just grinning the whole time and felt so nostalgic.

It was an enjoyable experience for sure even if it's not perfect. 

What is the equipment like in Monster Hunter? Do you get a paper doll with strong, unique loot options, or not really? Skimming through that 25min gameplay video I see several menus but don't notice any equipment. It may sound shallow, but I think I could get into this game if there was loot.
It's pretty much a grindfest game. You kill monsters, mine for ores, collect plants/bugs. You use those to create weapons and armor.

After you kill a monster, you can carve about 3 times (really dependent on which one you hunt). Then there's a final reward screen.

I feel like i'm the only type of person that doesn't like MH type games. I like Diablo type loot fest games, but the grind in MH really gets to me. I tried to play before with MH3U on 3DS. It was OK for a while, but I got bored quickly. I am getting the new one, as I can play hunts with friends, but i'm not super, super excited. Also not having a story kind of bums me out too.

I actually enjoyed Toukiden for a while, but the magic was gone when I got Toukiden Kiwami and it was just super, super repetitive. The graphics in the new Monster Hunter are nice at least though compared to the somewhat blurriness of that 3DS MH I played.

I really liked Freedom Wars a lot. Soul Sacrifice was okay. Could never really get into any of the MH games. 

Demon's/Dark Souls was a better match for my taste at the time. 

Soul Sacrifice had a nice tone to it, and is far less grindy. I progressed through Soul Sacrifice without much intentional grind. Toukiden Kiwami is not too bad either, the AI partners could sometimes be useful. I stopped Toukiden after the Kiwami chapter started because the repetitiveness was killing me.

The MHW leak mentioned 35 total bigs, which everyone thought meant we're getting 35 monsters in the game.
Then Capcom said "we'll add more monsters as DLC" which would raise that number up...
Turns out NOPE it's about 25+ monsters in the game with the rest being DLC starting with Deviljho.
2018 is already much disappoint..

On a separate note..
I also just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last night & put 143 hours into it. I won't get into a long rant why it's so fucking sad that people dismissed the game because "anime tropes" or "resolution" or w/e.. That's their loss.

All I'll say is that playing that game from about chapter 6 onward felt like the closest I've ever felt like playing an old school (to me old school means PS1 era games) JRPG like Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9.
The music, the cutscenes the drama developing. Man I was just grinning the whole time and felt so nostalgic.
It was an enjoyable experience for sure even if it's not perfect.
I clocked 99 hours. I loved it! Great game. I would have kept going to get the few rare blades I was missing, but decided against it since I have so damn much still to play. Was great though. Loved Poppi!

IIRC the PS4 and Steam versions run at 60 FPS while Switch runs at 30 FPS. Switch comes with DLC costumes included though and you have to buy them for PS4/PC, so it's a choice between better performance or DLC costumes. I'd go with performance personally.
Yeah I think I'll go with the ps4 version. Not fate, but after playing Fire Emblem Warriors on multiplayer I'd prefer performance :whistle2:. The NP edition swag will be cool to have also.

I feel like i'm the only type of person that doesn't like MH type games. I like Diablo type loot fest games, but the grind in MH really gets to me. I tried to play before with MH3U on 3DS. It was OK for a while, but I got bored quickly. I am getting the new one, as I can play hunts with friends, but i'm not super, super excited. Also not having a story kind of bums me out too.

I actually enjoyed Toukiden for a while, but the magic was gone when I got Toukiden Kiwami and it was just super, super repetitive. The graphics in the new Monster Hunter are nice at least though compared to the somewhat blurriness of that 3DS MH I played.
I have Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 on PSP and have never played either one of them. Of course, I bought them on sale far after I stopped playing the PSP. I would be interested in checking more of them out, but they seem to be like a MMORPG and I don't have the time anymore, sadly.

It's pretty much a grindfest game. You kill monsters, mine for ores, collect plants/bugs. You use those to create weapons and armor.

After you kill a monster, you can carve about 3 times (really dependent on which one you hunt). Then there's a final reward screen.
Curious here, but how does the Co-op in Monster Hunter work? Is it like Open-world like in GTA Online or something, or mission by mission like in Bloodborne? Does everyone hunt together and get the same share of the loot and mission rewards, or is everyone fighting for scraps?

I've tried playing the Monster Hunter game on PSP, but I gave up during the tutorials because they were so damn long and endless, before anything even happened. There was like a whole list of lessons to play through, and I didn't have the patience to learn every little thing before I was able to start my journey. Hopefully this one isn't like that.

Curious here, but how does the Co-op in Monster Hunter work? Is it like Open-world like in GTA Online or something, or mission by mission like in Bloodborne? Does everyone hunt together and get the same share of the loot and mission rewards, or is everyone fighting for scraps?
You invite players to a room and undergo timed quests to progress or play in free roam. Everyone hunts the same target together in timed quests. In free roam, you can do whatever. Each player receives their own individual rewards and carves so there is no worry about ninja-looting.

You can create a room or join a room. Rooms would typically have a title in what they were trying to do,

"Kill Rathalos" "New Players Welcome"

Rooms would typically hold 4 players, but I am unsure if Capcom change it to hold more players.

Any player can post a quest after talking to a NPC, and it'll be available (or set to private) on a board that other players would walk up to and accept. Quests allow up to 4 players to join.

It's been awhile since I've last played a MH game, so there may be changes.

As Supplice has mention, everyone hunts together. Although me being lazy, I just do my own thing and expect my friends to carry me until they start getting mad. 

there's another Open Beta scheduled to happen this month just before the release of MONSTER HUNTER WORLD .

So all the people curious about the gameplay have a chance to try out a sample of it before it releases.

ya it's kinda like mission by mission, your party of 4 is dropped into a 'world' that is an open world but not as massive as gta. There should be various worlds thou, but the demo only had 1.

you first pick a lobby than create or search for a party & quest.
you enter the world in a party of 4.
and than work together to search, find, & kill your target.
when the monster dies you rush over to the corpse & start looting it repeatedly until the quest timer runs out & logs you out.
You can't steal or block others from looting. Everyone loots at the same time. Each loot action you get a random item related to the monster killed .

during a fight i was flung down a cliff right as the monster died, i wasn't able to rush back up in time to loot the corpse, oh wellz.

about twenty hours into berseria I can understand why people called it a long game.  Don't think I'm near the end of part one yet.

Has Monster Hunter ever allowed you to use AI versions of players you've previously partied with? That was one feature of God Eater that I really liked, but it may not be needed in MH since it is seems to be a much more popular title than God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Lord of Arcana, etc.

I really liked the beta, so I'll be pre-ordering the game. I'm really looking forward to it since I really loved the "MH clones" I listed above. I put over 100 hrs into God Eater Burst on PSP. I don't recall how many hours into the others, but they were up there as well. The only monster hunting type game I wasn't able to get into was Ragnarok: Odyssey.

MHW looks great but it doesn't look like they synched the flaps to the english VA's. That's fine I guess.
How can they sync up the lips if they ended up having 7 different language settings to choose from?
Also, this is the 1st MH game with voices other than the fake Monster Hunter language.

Has Monster Hunter ever allowed you to use AI versions of players you've previously partied with? That was one feature of God Eater that I really liked, but it may not be needed in MH since it is seems to be a much more popular title than God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Lord of Arcana, etc.
Technically yes but not the way you're thinking.

In the 3DS games you were able to exchange friend cards with someone and then send them off in groups of up to 4 to do separate hunts for you. So you can go do your own thing and these ghosts can go farm you honey or plants and even monster parts at times.

I don't know if that feature is coming back in this game, but it was always a bit of a novelty since you can't use them to do offline hunts by yourself.

I know of two people who never ever heard of Monster Hunter before World who is buying Monster Hunter. Capcom is doing something right.

So I am thinking after Monster Hunter and Ni No Kuni II, focusing strictly on my backlog this year. Aka going through Xenoblade II, and Yakuza 0/Kiwami because while I put some time into them, certainly not enough that they warrant because they are fantastic.

Looking through the Switch eShop recently made me realize I missed some games on my list such as Tiny Metal and some picross game that released last week. Unfortunately it's more difficult to figure out on consoles and handhelds what released that I missed as there are no easy to use 'new releases' list for them like Steam has. Other than that, this week potentially belongs to Sorcery Jokers if you're into visual novels. There are some other interesting looking games, but they're Japanese only. It seems like one or two might be an English translation at some point though.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- N/A

Weekly Releases (January 7th - January 13th)

ACA NeoGeo: Art of Fighting 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: eShop/Digital Only.

Arcade Archives: Crazy Climber
- Genre: Action
- Comments: eShop/Digital Only.

Furi
- Genre: Action / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Xbox One & PC.

Memento of Spring
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Visual Novel

Among the Dead
- Genre: Visual Novel / Clicker?
- Comments: Seems low effort.

Sorcery Jokers
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: 18+ version can be found at MangaGamer (NSFW). Should be releasing on Steam this week and should likely have an 18+ patch.

Talk to Saki
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation

永遠消失的幻想鄉 ~ The Disappearing of Gensokyo
- Genre: Action / Bullet Hell
- Comments: Japanese language only. Fan made Touhou game.

わがままアリスと百日戦争
- Genre: Visual Novel / Grand Strategy Lite?
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Lily 白き百合の乙女たち Lisblanc
- Genre: Simulation / Strategy / RPG
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Past Releases
December 31st - January 6th
December 24th - December 30th
December 17th - December 23rd
December 10th - December 16th
December 3rd - December 9th

Just a heads up for anybody interested, but Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) has started its annual week long speedrunning event. You can find the schedule here and the stream here. It should produce some fun runs to watch, but which specifically is hard to say.

bread's done
Back