Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Superbeat Xonic for switch is down to 29.99 (23.99 with GCU)

switch.jpg
 SUPERBEAT: XONiC

I've played the entire game with randoms, I've always had helpful people.

You choose a server, the thing with 1/16 group.
at this point you can still solo stuff but you'll hear anyone at base with an open mic.

You than can choose a mission or join someone's on going mission.

Starting your own mission you can wait for a party to join you or [what i do] start the mission solo and throw up a SOS flair so people can join you.

If you want to join someone's mission than just pick whatever type you'd like: sos ,investigaton, event, and join in.

I would advise NOT doing expeditions cause there's no timer and people just hangout.

if your playing with friends than just enter the same server 1/16 group.

there's also the Gathering area to see people hanging at base.

I love the way the multiplayer works in MHW since I really don't want to be bothered with being in a party for a long play session. I can send up an SOS flare for help or join somebody else's quest then be done with them immediately afterwards.
Yea, and I'm starting to encounter veterans. I joined a HR hunt, and barely reached the monster when it already ended with a capture.

In another, I'm pretty sure one had the damage immunity cloak.

Which brings me to... I think I need to invest in elemental damage now. My Slashshot and Pierce 3 shots are no longer cutting it (har har). What's the best element to aim for first? I figure I'll get a full set of one element and then farm the set that one's strong against. But looking at LBG trees, it's pretty much all single element strengths.

I played Root Letter last year, didn't think it was good. It's averageish and the mystery + extra endings were pretty weak.
That's a little disheartening to read. I'll still play it anyways. I did enjoy Corpse Party a lot and hope we get more of those.

That's a little disheartening to read. I'll still play it anyways. I did enjoy Corpse Party a lot and hope we get more of those.
Yeah, I love Corpse Party. Hard to find anything that compares to that as far as horror goes though. Hopefully Corpse Party 2 gets localized eventually.

Song of Memories is a must for me, though it has some weird monster apocalypse song battling game play as well, which I would honestly just prefer a school life romance game. I will support Pqube's efforts this year though with this and Omega Labryinth. Keep up the good work!

Not sure if I'm interested in Song of Memories. I haven't invested much time in visual novels, but I'm not really interested in dating sim games... or at least games in which that is the main focus. I don't mind if it's a background element, like in Record of Agarest War.

I read that there's some monster apocalypse happening... that does interest me... but if the game is too focused on the romantic element, I don't know if I'll enjoy it.

Some Overwatch news for those interested.

It looks like the Year of the Dog Event for Overwatch will begin on February 8th, next Thursday. A little earlier than I predicted, but I'd wager it has to do with it possibly being too close to the next event or something. The Lunar New Year ticks over on Friday of the following week, which is the 16th.

Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/959229939898761216

I'm pretty embarrassed to say that all Yakuza games are in my backlog. Very interested in the series, but my non-handheld backlog is simply near-impossible to chew through.

Y'all missing out. I started when Yakuza 0 came out and it's been the best gaming experience I've had in years. The franchise is just so incredible. 0 is quite possibly the best game I've ever played and each numbered game has its own individual strengths. So good

I have them in my backlog as well long with the atelier series minus ayesha.
Atelier series? I'm assuming starting from Rorona, then you have a long ways to go. I did Rorona, Totori, skipped Meruru. Skipped Ayesha, did Escha & Logy (loved it) and now waiting for Shallie to go on a decent sale on PSN. This was over a span of several years, from my engaged days, then to married, then to kids.

I finished 0 and I started kiwami, but haven't gotten too far in it. It will probably be the next console game I play though (felt like doing another X-Com 2 campaign first). I'm picking up 6, but I've still got Kiwami 2 (whenever that comes out here), 4 & 5 first. (I'll probably be skipping 3 unless it also gets a Kiwami re-release)

Does anyone know if Digimon Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory Launch Edition for vita will remain on the PSN store or is it limited time? I got the 20% off coupon from psn and thinking if I should use it on that or wait till Tuesday to see if there's a good sale.

Y'all missing out. I started when Yakuza 0 came out and it's been the best gaming experience I've had in years. The franchise is just so incredible. 0 is quite possibly the best game I've ever played and each numbered game has its own individual strengths. So good
Tried playing the original PS2 game like eight years ago and didn't really like it. I keep hearing how great the series is, I might give it another shot some time.

Tried playing the original PS2 game like eight years ago and didn't really like it. I keep hearing how great the series is, I might give it another shot some time.
I played one of the PS3 Yakuza games (can't remember which) and really couldn't get into it, mostly due to the controls. I'll likely give the series a second chance on the PS4 some day.

Atelier series? I'm assuming starting from Rorona, then you have a long ways to go. I did Rorona, Totori, skipped Meruru. Skipped Ayesha, did Escha & Logy (loved it) and now waiting for Shallie to go on a decent sale on PSN. This was over a span of several years, from my engaged days, then to married, then to kids.
Nope The ps2 entries. Ayesha was just the first title I bought and happen to have played.

I just had the weirdest capture mission.

Was hunting Tzitzi-Ya-Ku. As always on capture missions, I managed to waste the EZ trap, this time because he limped off the moment I set it up. Crafted a proper one, ran after him, and since my felyne's just learned the thunderbug cage, decided I'd see if I could use that instead of wasting the trap I crafted. Woke him up with a redpit and my felyne immediately set up the Thunderbug cage, which the Tzitzi promptly ran into. Threw a tranq bomb down in his face, nothing happened. I figure okay, thunderbug cages won't let me capture monsters, whatever.

Ran around for a bit to get space to set up my crafted trap, only for the Tzitzi to run back off to go to sleep. Set up the trap on top of him, and immediately throw down a tranq bomb under his face.

Nothing happens, so I throw down another three in a row in frustration. Nothing continues happening, and it breaks free of the trap. At this point, I'm thinking the mission is bugged or something, and get ready to kill the Tzitzi to just end it. Just as I start swinging, felyne sets another thunderbug cage on top of the Tzitzi, and as my attack connects, suddenly mission success music starts playing and Tzitzi is asleep.

What the actual hell, game.

I know there are a lot of overwatch fans in this thread, Gamestop has 25% off $100+ collectibles so you can order tracer statue or reaper statue for $112.50 each. Price is reflected at check out. Idk if it works in store but if it does, you can try to find a store with widowmaker or d.va

The only time I've had issues capturing is when I use a trap too early. Usually I wait for the skull to appear above it on the mini-map and then proceed to throw down two Tranq Bombs. In the rare cases where I do it too early, my friend who was with me threw down his trap a little later and it was captured instantly. That's the only time I've captured instantly from a trap, otherwise it was only after two Tranq Bombs, never one.

Also, the only times I don't wait for the skull to appear is when the monster is too damned weak and if I don't guess when it's almost ready, then it'll end up dying before I realize the skull is there.

Indiegala: Anime Yuri Bundle - $9.99

Includes:

Kindred Spirits on the Roof

Kindred Spirits on the Roof Drama CD vol 1

Moekuri

A Kiss for the Petals Remembering How We Met

Dead End Junction

The best part of this bundle is the Kindred Spirits. It hasn't been in any bundles yet afaik and this is cheaper than any of it's previous sale prices.

Guessing he regained enough health while sleeping to not be weak enough for capture.
Yeah, I thought of that, but I can't understand why that last trap was successful. I'd only attacked him a couple times with redpits since my first attempt.

I guess if he was hovering right at the edge, that last attack might have done it, but it would have to be RIGHT at the edge, I was using a low-power long sword.

Indiegala: Anime Yuri Bundle - $9.99

Includes:
Kindred Spirits on the Roof
Kindred Spirits on the Roof Drama CD vol 1
Moekuri
A Kiss for the Petals Remembering How We Met
Dead End Junction

The best part of this bundle is the Kindred Spirits. It hasn't been in any bundles yet afaik and this is cheaper than any of it's previous sale prices.
Worth it for Kindred Spirits alone. I bought that at near full price and don't regret it. Definitely one of the best comedic yuri VNs I've played.

Tranq bombs affect a monster even when not trapped. For some reason, Tzitzi sometimes need 3 tranqs to capture.
I've had a couple captures where the group didn't get enough tranqs fast enough during the 1st trapped phase, but automatically captured it once it went over a 2nd trap without needing additional tranqs.

You only need 2 tranqs. Anymore than one trap means it wasn't worn down enough if it wasn't captured. If it's resting, it's easier to use tranqs first then trap for an auto-capture. Also, feel free to use traps offensively to help your group or to setup ultra attacks for yourself when solo.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any extra bonuses for having 100 guild cards.  :razz:

While we're on the subject of MonHun, how do you claim the 5 million celebration pack? I looked in the PSN page, checked my housekeeper felyne's claim add-ons menu, and can't see any way in the log-in screen itself, so I'm probably missing something really obvious.

While we're on the subject of MonHun, how do you claim the 5 million celebration pack? I looked in the PSN page, checked my housekeeper felyne's claim add-ons menu, and can't see any way in the log-in screen itself, so I'm probably missing something really obvious.
Supposedly they're rolling it out in batches. So not everybody will have it right away. It will eventually appear in your Claim Add-Ons menu in your room. I didn't check today, but I haven't received mine yet either.

I remember seeing here that the Soejima art book sells for like $200+ on Amazon these days. Anyone know why it's so expensive when you can get the original Japanese one for about twenty bucks from Amazon.jp?

Supposedly they're rolling it out in batches. So not everybody will have it right away. It will eventually appear in your Claim Add-Ons menu in your room. I didn't check today, but I haven't received mine yet either.
I just checked and don't have it either, although I did just start yesterday.

Also, do we have a CAG/niche squad going?

Yes, shoot me a friend request and send me an invite to your lobby or message me and I'll invite you to mine when I'm on Monster Hunter. I can't send out squad invites while I'm outside of the headquarters unfortunately, but can send lobby invites. I also have disabled notifications while I'm on Amazon Video or Netflix, so don't send me anything any requests while I'm in those.

Yes, shoot me a friend request and send me an invite to your lobby or then message me and I'll invite you to mine when I'm on Monster Hunter. I can't send out squad invites while I'm outside of the headquarters unfortunately, but can send lobby invites. I also have disabled notifications while I'm on Amazon Video or Netflix, so don't send me anything any requests while I'm in those.
Cool, will do, thanks Draekon!

I just checked and don't have it either, although I did just start yesterday.

Yeah, whenever I matchmake at the start I usually just go into the CAG lobby, which is nice as I see a bunch of other people here on there too.

So fun fact, I see almost everyone playing as a waifu here. It's nice seeing other people's waifus. But The Handler is best waifu. I'd let her handle me anytime.

Also, this damn Anjanath is kicking my ass, and I need it's parts to craft stuff I want. Does anyone usually grind and hunt a monster for it's parts even after you completed it's mission?

Edit: To Texan, while the Soejima artbook is almost entirely pictures, there's a couple pages in the back with an interview. And that's all in English, which you can find a scan of if you need.

Yes, shoot me a friend request and send me an invite to your lobby or message me and I'll invite you to mine when I'm on Monster Hunter. I can't send out squad invites while I'm outside of the headquarters unfortunately, but can send lobby invites. I also have disabled notifications while I'm on Amazon Video or Netflix, so don't send me anything any requests while I'm in those.
Draekon, I sent you a friend request too. Didn't realize that I didn't already have you on my friends list. Can you send me a squad invite too?

bread's done
Back