Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maigoyume']Legacy of Y's from Fry's is down to $9.99

http://www.frys.com/product/5814503[/QUOTE]

Just a warning: In a few months the PSP version of Ys 1 & 2 will be released. It is far better than the DS version. Unless you really want it now, and even then, I say wait for the vastly superior PSP version.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Just a warning: In a few months the PSP version of Ys 1 & 2 will be released. It is far better than the DS version. Unless you really want it now, and even then, I say wait for the vastly superior PSP version.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately I don't own a PSP and don't intend to buy one

Great for those who do though :)

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Just a warning: In a few months the PSP version of Ys 1 & 2 will be released. It is far better than the DS version. Unless you really want it now, and even then, I say wait for the vastly superior PSP version.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Y's Seven coming for the PSP? I believe that is supposed to be a completely new game.

[quote name='groundskeeper']Are you talking about Y's Seven coming for the PSP? I believe that is supposed to be a completely new game.[/QUOTE]

No, Ys I&II was announced to be ported to PSP as well, on top of Seven being released.

[quote name='kndy']From the Abyss dropped to $9.99 used...not sure if it's a good DS game though. Have been keeping my eye on the games for the Hollywood Video closures but nothing major in terms of sales that I have seen of late for Atlus, Aksys, NIS America, etc.[/QUOTE]

Out of stock on Gamestop, but . . .

It is $11.79 new at Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon, so eligible for prime):

http://www.amazon.com/Abyss-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0018YDKAE

Might give it a shot, I am a sucker for RPG's on the DS. ;)

[quote name='elessar123']No, Ys I&II was announced to be ported to PSP as well, on top of Seven being released.[/QUOTE]

anyone notice amazon has the deluxe verison shown on the normal verison ..... wonder if you could take a screen shot order the 29.99 verison and then complain when you dont get all of the extras :)

Price drop for Aksys BlazBlue (PS3/XB360) New and Used $19.99/$17.99

also a price drop for Atlus PS3 game "Demon's Souls" used for $24.99 and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on Amazon for $20.98 (new).

NIS America's "Disgaea 3" for PS3 is $12.99 at Gamestop. Phantom Brave and Mana Khemia 2 had a price drop reflected on first page.

[quote name='kndy']Price drop for Aksys BlazBlue (PS3/XB360) New and Used $19.99/$17.99

also a price drop for Atlus PS3 game "Demon's Souls" used for $24.99 and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on Amazon for $20.98 (new).

NIS America's "Disgaea 3" for PS3 is $12.99 at Gamestop. Phantom Brave and Mana Khemia 2 had a price drop reflected on first page.[/QUOTE]

Strange Journey is actually $20.98 + $7.99 shipping on amazon (through a 3rd party seller). It's still $29.98 from amazon or apparently $20.99 through amazon's warehouse deals.

dark spire is up to 5.99 used at gamestop with no new copies available according to your link. Me thinks this is a supply/demand kinda thing as there are no gamestops around me that have it.

[quote name='manasteel88']dark spire is up to 5.99 used at gamestop with no new copies available according to your link. Me thinks this is a supply/demand kinda thing as there are no gamestops around me that have it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing Dark Spire with the CD today for $15 (half off at Hollywood Video). Gamecrazy usually was a store that got in Atlus games and noticed quite a few there. Mainly dungeon crawlers but I'll probably strike when the sale reaches 70% off.

As for updates on pricing, for those who love Japanese simulation games...Princess Debut (Natsume) for the DS is $9.99 used.

Has anyone seen "Jake Hunter: Detective Memories", all I see is the first version of the game that was released.

[quote name='kndy']Has anyone seen "Jake Hunter: Detective Memories", all I see is the first version of the game that was released.[/QUOTE]
They're selling that full Jake Hunter game for $10 at Anime Expo.

Looks like a good number of Aksys and XSeed games have went down in price. Price changes on the first post on the front page.

Games that dropped under $10 that are worth checking out and may be of interest to you:

Castle of Shikigami III ($9.99 - new - wii)
The Sky Crawlers ($9.99 - new - wii)

Has anyone played Rockin Pretty? I know it is mega short, but I can't find a lot of reviews on this one, and the reviewer on Amazon savaged it.

FYI anyone looking at Mana Khemia 1 for PSP should probably go for the PSN digital version. It's the same price as the UMD used copy @ Gamestop (and works the same on all PSP's as long as you've upgraded the firmware) and the load times are about 75-90% shorter on the digital version vs. the UMD version.

[quote name='donssword']Has anyone played Rockin Pretty? I know it is mega short, but I can't find a lot of reviews on this one, and the reviewer on Amazon savaged it.[/QUOTE]

It's nothing special at all, just a cute rhythm game. The music is pretty much all MIDI so it sounds blah. I haven't played the game since it came out, but I don't remember the controls being terrible.

I'd say it's worth picking up if its like $10 and you like rhythm games.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI anyone looking at Mana Khemia 1 for PSP should probably go for the PSN digital version. It's the same price as the UMD used copy @ Gamestop (and works the same on all PSP's as long as you've upgraded the firmware) and the load times are about 75-90% shorter on the digital version vs. the UMD version.[/QUOTE]

If this is the "Students" game there is an "install" option that really speeds the game up.

I got the Mana Khemia PSP UMD from Best Buy last year in a clearance bin for $5 and played it. It was bad load times until I found the install option in the manual.

[quote name='superdry']It's nothing special at all, just a cute rhythm game. The music is pretty much all MIDI so it sounds blah. I haven't played the game since it came out, but I don't remember the controls being terrible.

I'd say it's worth picking up if its like $10 and you like rhythm games.[/QUOTE]

I thought about picking it up yesterday but wasn't sure because I wanted to read up about the music. I read the elite beat agents comparison.

Anyone able to score "Castle of Shikigami III" for $10 in their area? No such luck here.

[quote name='kndy']Anyone able to score "Castle of Shikigami III" for $10 in their area? No such luck here.[/QUOTE]

This isn't a new drop -- I got it for $9.99 from GameStop all the way back in January. At this point, it probably is going to be pretty hit-or-miss to find it.

[quote name='kndy']I thought about picking it up yesterday but wasn't sure because I wanted to read up about the music. I read the elite beat agents comparison.

Anyone able to score "Castle of Shikigami III" for $10 in their area? No such luck here.[/QUOTE]

I found one a month or two ago while driving through Keene, NH. One popped up in my area a while back, I waited a day before going back, and it was already gone.

Not sure if anyone has said this in the thread yet... but if possible buy a new copy of these games and help out these amazing publishers

I bought CS3 for $20 months ago. Just a dang fine bullet hell shmup with replayability out the ass in the form of 8 different characters and different story dialog for each pairing that's clever enough to be worth listening to if you don't mind a slightly dodgy translation.

Real nice voice work though except for Mihee, but I think she has the same awful lack of energy in the original Japanese.

Considering the low price at Amazon is a third-party, seller and no eligible for Prime, Fry's is still the better. Of course, if you can find it. I really need to go to the one near me (Downers Grove, IL) more often as things tend to disappear fast.

Snagged a Strange Journey for $19.99 at Fry's in San Diego. One copy left, but it's not in as good shape, in case you're a collector.

I got a sealed copy of SMT Strange Journey. Willing to let it go for $21 shipped (paypal) if anyones interested.

EDIT -

And yeah it got the soundtrack CD included with it.

[quote name='B:L']They're selling that full Jake Hunter game for $10 at Anime Expo.[/QUOTE]
What is the address of this "Anime Expo" web site? When I google it all I can find are links to the Anime Expo convention. I'd really like to get a copy of this game...

[quote name='gamerdogbert']What is the address of this "Anime Expo" web site? When I google it all I can find are links to the Anime Expo convention. I'd really like to get a copy of this game...[/QUOTE]

I agree with cupcake. Judging by the date of that post, I'd say that that poster was referring to the convention (it took place from July 1-4), so you may unfortunately be out of luck.

[quote name='OtakuFerret']I was hoping this one would drop further, faster. Ideally I'd like to pay $20 but I might bite when it hits $30. Guess I'll wait and see![/QUOTE]
We can only dream.

I finally pulled the trigger on Battle Fantasia. I've been thinking about it for a while.

If nothing else, it's nice for the collection.

[quote name='rust in peace']For those who haven't bought the new Blazblue Europe is getting a CE of it. I ordered the Fans edition of it for the PS3 it totalled 105 after conversion but I figured it was worth it. Fan's edition is limited to 500 sets.

http://www.zenunited.bigcartel.com/

Fans edition
http://www.zenunited.bigcartel.com/product/pre-order-blazblue-continuum-shift-fans-edition[/QUOTE]

I was set to jump on this when it was announced the other day but the 360 version is region locked, apparently. Plus I don't think you'd be able to use the Makoto DLC since it would be for Europe anyways, right?

This thread is the very reason why I buy games from these publishers when they're released. It's really hard to track some of them down months after release.

I think it's cool that you guys are helping each other out.

La Pucelle: Tactics (used) is $7 at gamestop.com. It looks like its not too rare, but a pretty decent price for it compared to ebay and such. Looks like there's 3 in stock as of now.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=33253

I should probably point out that the game is published by Mastiff Games, and not NIS America. But I thought since this game was developed by Nippon Ichi that this deal would find its audience in this thread. There was actually a thread about this game at gamestop.com already, but it was in the graveyard and I didn't know how to revive it. And it didn't seem like it was worth making a new thread over. Let me know if I did wrong.

I'm thinking about picking up Super Robot Taisen for DS. Is it an RPG or fighter or both? I've watched gameplay vids & it's somewhat hard to tell.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']I'm thinking about picking up Super Robot Taisen for DS. Is it an RPG or fighter or both? I've watched gameplay vids & it's somewhat hard to tell.[/QUOTE]

RPG, I thought it was pretty good. One of the few games I got and played right through it.

[quote name='Killrig']This thread is the very reason why I buy games from these publishers when they're released. It's really hard to track some of them down months after release.

I think it's cool that you guys are helping each other out.[/QUOTE]

I would've liked to do the same thing with some of the PS2 Magna Carta Softmax LE's in Korea.

Same with the previous big games on PC. Like "Rhapsody Of Zephyr" instead of the jewel case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back