Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to call NISA today. I just checked my store account and my HTOL#NIQ is still showing as Processing. Anyone else have their order not ship yet?
Same for me - still shows Processing. And PayPal shows the money has been taken. Mind you, I did order it only a few days ago when it came back in stock for a moment. I shall wait patiently.

It didn't bother me that bad, though it was comical at times. You'll come to appreciate their use of the word, "penetration."
Camera angles are really bad in this game... also, it is a manual camera, meaning you have have the camera looking in the wrong direction and you have to reset it with the L. I got so frustrated with this, I did not step past the tutorial. It may be a good game otherwise, but games with bad camera angles are a pet peeve of mine.

How come MH4 is suddenly hard to find? That's even just the standard ed of athe game...
For whatever reason Capcom did a small print run. They probably weren't sure how well it'd sell and figured people would just buy it digitally if they couldn't find a physical copy.

Nintendo is just continuing their trend of under-supplying to create hysteria.
It's Capcom this time, not Nintendo.

Camera angles are really bad in this game... also, it is a manual camera, meaning you have have the camera looking in the wrong direction and you have to reset it with the L. I got so frustrated with this, I did not step past the tutorial. It may be a good game otherwise, but games with bad camera angles are a pet peeve of mine.
You can't control the camera with the right analog stick?

You can't control the camera with the right analog stick?
You can, I don't like having to control the camera angles. You can also reset camera angles, but why do that if most other games have auto cameras? My expectation is to be looking ahead when moving. The camera control adds little value when you are not looking aiming. Left hand directional, right hand actions (on the buttons). It is extremely distracting to put your right hand on the analog stick and look around just to have it stuck in one place when you start moving again.

I was wondering the same thing, Vig. About the translation.
As for the bad camera controls, as described by shivan128, were you playing on PS TV or Vita? I imagine it won't be as annoying on a Dualshock, no?

What is the difference from the regular PS3 titles and the Plus Vita titles.
Was thinking of getting a game share of them all.

The Plus versions have all the original DLC packed in as well as extras that usually come in the form of a few bosses and/or dungeons which aren't found in the original game. Rorona Plus has a bit more than the others, including an entire post-game section dedicated to it with the characters from the two sequels in its trilogy.

I believe they all also work on Playstation TV which can sometimes be had rather cheap if you prefer TV and a controller. It was fairly cheap on an Amazon lightning deal somewhat recently. $40 I think? Then you'd need a Dualshock 4 and memory card.

Are the older Atelier Plus titles worth playing for someone who is completely new to the series, but likes JRPGs? And are they "can't miss" or "worth playing" titles? 

So wish I had a Vita right now to play all the Atelier games.

Currently searching for copies of the DS Annie and the Premium box edition which is like $150 but I will have.

What is the difference from the regular PS3 titles and the Plus Vita titles.

Was thinking of getting a game share of them all on my PS3 or should I wait and get them on the Vita.

Can you gameshare Vita games?

Are the older Atelier Plus titles worth playing for someone who is completely new to the series, but likes JRPGs? And are they "can't miss" or "worth playing" titles?
It's a love it or hate it type series. A lot of people dislike it because of the whole time aspect of it and when it was originally released (The original Atelier Rorona), it was EXTREMELY slow and tedious and people formed ill opinions of the series just based on that (I fell asleep playing the original Rorona multiple times. It was pretty bad in that aspect). The series has gotten better and the plus versions are the superior versions except that you will get some frame rate issues that wasn't present in the PS3 version since the Vita doesn't handle the game as well. It's still very playable though.

Can you gameshare Vita games?
Not really. Vita games are tied to a single account and you need to be on that account to play the, period. Why is this? Because you can only have one single account per memory card for the Vita. So in order to 'gameshare', you'd need to use an account that both people would sign into to play the game, which requires you to wipe your current memory card card (because you can't switch between accounts on a memory card) or use a separate memory card for it.

In other words, you'd get no trophies or anything on your PSN account.

Oh and rather than editing 'double post' on your earlier posts, you can just hit "Hide" which hides it from everyone's view except the mods. It's essentially the 'delete my post' button.

I just check the Playstation TV list and the first Atelier game is not able to play on it but the second to are.

Second question. Can you only have one account on the Playstation TV? Just curious.

I have one account that has my stuff on it and one account I share with my friend that we buy games on it together.

I just check the Playstation TV list and the first Atelier game is not able to play on it but the second to are.

Second question. Can you only have one account on the Playstation TV? Just curious.

I have one account that has my stuff on it and one account I share with my friend that we buy games on it together.
Playstation TV is more or less the same thing as the Vita. You can swap between accounts and you can swap your games and memory cards between the two without having to reformat the card.

I have never played an Atelier game, which one would ya'll recommend newbie picking up in the sale?
out of the first trilogy meruru is the best for new players.

Ayesha is what people say for the second but if anything the other 2 in the trilogy are better since they are even more new player friendly from what I hear. shallie prettymuch removed the time limit system which is only an issue if you don't know what you're doing like I did. They also don't have all the annoying crap to trigger scenes like in ayesha did where you have multiple ways to trigger a scene sometimes have to enter an area backwards even. Like I would fricken know to do that :/

Atelier is basically a synth game with some time management, story bits and turn based gameplay ala ffx going on in the background, and a mixed somewhat visual novel style with occasional voice work and 3d models or still images. Personally I would rec playing with a guide for any of them just to get some basics on their synth system and get time reduction equipment asap s that you can have extra time. And occasionally pay attention to a schedule for stuff like ayeshas contests so you can earn cash for stuffles like books and balloons.

1 tip to new players of ayesha is to register stuff you plan on using alot in shops like battle attack items and healing items. You can only register a certain number at certain shops. The shops will then sell 5 of the item back to you in each slot which will save you time on synthing them like I did.

Use this list for the PSTV compatible list, it's more complete generally (Frisky does a good job of keeping it updated):

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/

Rorona Plus is playable on it, but it has a catch. Download it from the Playstation Web Store, the download list after purchasing it on the Web store or from a Vita.

As for your second question, the Playstation TV acts the same as a Vita in pretty much every respect. So only a single account per memory card. However you'll also need to keep in mind that an account can only have so much registered hardware to it at any single time too. PSTV and Vita are considered the same and I don't remember off hand how many pieces of a single type of hardware you can register at once. Though every 6 months you can clear the entire list and start from scratch again to re-register hardware.

out of the first trilogy meruru is the best for new players.

Ayesha is what people say for the second but if anything the other 2 in the trilogy are better since they are even more new player friendly from what I hear. shallie prettymuch removed the time limit system which is only an issue if you don't know what you're doing like I did. They also don't have all the annoying crap to trigger scenes like in ayesha did where you have multiple ways to trigger a scene sometimes have to enter an area backwards even. Like I would fricken know to do that :/

Atelier is basically a synth game with some time management, story bits and turn based gameplay ala ffx going on in the background, and a mixed somewhat visual novel style with occasional voice work and 3d models or still images. Personally I would rec playing with a guide for any of them just to get some basics on their synth system and get time reduction equipment asap s that you can have extra time. And occasionally pay attention to a schedule for stuff like ayeshas contests so you can earn cash for stuffles like books and balloons.

1 tip to new players of ayesha is to register stuff you plan on using alot in shops like battle attack items and healing items. You can only register a certain number at certain shops. The shops will then sell 5 of the item back to you in each slot which will save you time on synthing them like I did.
You mention Ayesha a lot, but that one isn't going to be part of the sale.

The plus versions are generally better due to some minor content inclusions and changes plus free dlc from the originals in most cases. However atelier rorona plus is a remake so its considered probably unanimous that the original isn't worth playing.

Only negatives to the plus versions is outside rorona on the ps3 the others are all vita digital only and running issues on the vitas (thanks for reminding me about that draekon :D/ ). And since vita space is at a premium being digital only on top of rarely on sale kills the plus versions for me. If you want to get them now would be the time though I warn you that these are in no way traditional rpgs so you may not care for them.

Thanks for the quick replies Draekon and shadowysea07.

The series certainly sounds niche but I think I might pull the trigger anyway and pick them up. The time aspect does sound annoying but having played the Record of Agarest War series I should be prepared for it. Even though it looks very niche I like what I've seen from the battle and crafting system, so I'm in. 

And again, thanks for the replies  :D

If you want to get them now would be the time though I warn you that these are in no way traditional rpgs so you may not care for them
Indeed. Watch some battle gameplay and synthesis gameplay videos, which will give you an idea. Then from there you basically need to understand the time factor as well, which is what videos don't really show off well. So when you move on the map, gather materials or synthesize anything, time will pass and if you fail your quarterly assignment, it's gameover. However you can use that for NG+ and bring over basically everything you've accumulated up to that point, which makes it easier to go through the next time.

Getting the quarterly assignments done is fairly simple, but your very first time playing an Atelier game it may prove to be slightly difficult if you don't grasp the time mechanic quick enough. Doing everything in a single playthrough can be extremely difficult without using a guide that tells you everything you need to do because of the time factor. It's much easier to do it in two playthroughs, using NG+ by making use of your post-game crafting the best gear and items you possibly can for everybody so you don't need to waste time gathering and crafting for it.

Thanks for this. I guess SAO isn't on the list :(
Actually it works on the PSTV. It was updated at some point after it released to be compatible (but was never updated on the official list or announced that it was made compatible). It's also on the list in that thread under the name "Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment".

Indeed. Watch some battle gameplay and synthesis gameplay videos, which will give you an idea. Then from there you basically need to understand the time factor as well, which is what videos don't really show off well. So when you move on the map, gather materials or synthesize anything, time will pass and if you fail your quarterly assignment, it's gameover. However you can use that for NG+ and bring over basically everything you've accumulated up to that point, which makes it easier to go through the next time.

Getting the quarterly assignments done is fairly simple, but your very first time playing an Atelier game it may prove to be slightly difficult if you don't grasp the time mechanic quick enough. Doing everything in a single playthrough can be extremely difficult without using a guide that tells you everything you need to do because of the time factor. It's much easier to do it in two playthroughs, using NG+ by making use of your post-game crafting the best gear and items you possibly can for everybody so you don't need to waste time gathering and crafting for it.
This^ though just getting a few things early like time reduction equipment and not trying to do all the fetch/sidequests among other things can help. I failed on my first playthrough of ayesha because of that. You don't need to harvest every single area dry like I did and make huge batches of items and stuff you don't need. Also knowing where you need to go instead of wandering back and forth aimlessly like I did can help cut down on time alot -_-

I blame idiots telling me that you can ignore the time limit in ayesha on gfaqs.

OH and one last thing I mentioned meruru earlier but I forgot you don't want to play that one first because it spoils the end to totori in it! otherwise you can play rorona or totori first. Its up to you though as meruru is the most lenient time management wise of the arland trilogy.

Actually it works on the PSTV. It was updated at some point after it released to be compatible (but was never updated on the official list or announced that it was made compatible). It's also on the list in that thread under the name "Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment".
Oh ok, awesome. Well there's 3 games I know I'll be getting today!

For SAO, I don't think it's on the list but I know plenty of people have said it works any way.
I can verify it does work; both the digital and physical copies. A lot of the games will sometimes tell you it doesn't work. You click on the refresh icon, then try again.

I can verify it does work; both the digital and physical copies. A lot of the games will sometimes tell you it doesn't work. You click on the refresh icon, then try again.
Agreed, conception works no problem always for example. Monster monpiece I have to have an internet connection and hit refresh everything I want to load it up.

But I don't mind controlling camera angles, so maybe this won't be much of an issue for me.
I'm sure it's just a minor annoyance to most people. I could not get past it. Someone mentioned PSTV, it may work better with a ds4. I'll have to give it another go when I free up some time. The translation is definitely awkward, but it makes for some comic relief.

I'm sure it's just a minor annoyance to most people. I could not get past it. Someone mentioned PSTV, it may work better with a ds4. I'll have to give it another go when I free up some time. The translation is definitely awkward, but it makes for some comic relief.
2552903-6547986575-85531.jpg

2552902-2031246217-85554.jpg

2552900-9183138184-85512.jpg

It's like the fanfic writes itself.

How come MH4 is suddenly hard to find? That's even just the standard ed of athe game...

I've been looking for a physical copy since last week. Finally just gave up and got the digital last night. Ridiculous that its impossible to find a physical copy a week after release...
Do you guys not like to buy online or something? It was available at Best Buy's website just 4 days ago (that's when I ordered) and it still shows in stock at Gamestop.

You get used to the engrish. I just laugh
Yeah what takes more getting used to is the repetitive nature of the game....but I feel that of most MMORPGs so i'm extremely biased on the subject. I kind of wish the social elements with your harem of ladies was a little bit more in depth. It's an alright game and this is likely the price you want to be paying for it. I hope the sequel is a little more heavy in story/characterization than this first one.

You can, I don't like having to control the camera angles. You can also reset camera angles, but why do that if most other games have auto cameras? My expectation is to be looking ahead when moving. The camera control adds little value when you are not looking aiming. Left hand directional, right hand actions (on the buttons). It is extremely distracting to put your right hand on the analog stick and look around just to have it stuck in one place when you start moving again.
That's a weird gripe to have man. Every game I can think of uses the right stick for camera. I can't even think of any games with "auto cameras". Or do you mean there's no lock-on to target enemies?

Do you guys not like to buy online or something? It was available at Best Buy's website just 4 days ago (that's when I ordered) and it still shows in stock at Gamestop.
When I was looking it wasn't available for shipping at all. Amazon, BBY, and gamestop. I would have had no problems ordering it if I could have lol. Of course it would show up less than 24hrs after I cave for digital :wall:

That's a weird gripe to have man. Every game I can think of uses the right stick for camera. I can't even think of any games with "auto cameras". Or do you mean there's no lock-on to target enemies?
The God of War series and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow are some examples.

Not sure if this is news, but:

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - The Wild Cards Premium Edition, Nintendo 3DS

Is 68.33 at AMZ on sale form 79.99

A lot of games that have allow manual control for camera, snap back to the default view once you let go of the directional key. This one had an issue with both auto camera angles as well as manual camera control. I remember distinctly my character running in the direction towards me and all I could see was my character and nothing in front of me (because the camera had not rotated to adjust the view to my running direction). Stuff like this is pretty simple to figure out, but this game got it wrong.

I can see that during mech controls why you would want to turn your body an walk, akin to what strafing would be, but there is no need for strafing in this game, again, back to my comment with having left hand motion, right hand actions. having to adjust your camera should you have to run away (with low life for example) and not having the camera adjust your view is extremely annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back