Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
True!  But Ni no Kuni is now $20 retail price, though not for the wizard edition.

I guess I just figured discussion would be in the discussion threads and that this would be the kind of thread that tosses deals up into the top post so we can jump when it happens.

All that said--Guided Fate Paradox is getting awesome reviews.  I feel bad for not buying it immediately, but I'm hoping for an eventual deal or a Vita version (same with D2).  The only "negative" I've heard about is was something along the lines of that it's a fantastic game, but in the shadow of ZHP, it's disappointing.  Doesn't seem fair to judge it that way...  That was the USGamer review, I think.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/07/ys-memories-of-celceta-coming-to-ps-vita-on-november-26th/

Ys comes out 11/26. First english video included (though it's 480p, disappointingly.)
Was it ever 11/5? I bought a PSN card and everything and kept clicking on it Tuesday wondering why the heck I couldn't buy it. I then looked on Amazon and saw it was 11/26. Woops. Gonna be busy with Zelda by then but will buy anyway. I play to replay all the Ys games in order anyway (all on Vita except Origins on Steam and Napishtim on PSP--exciting!)

Another thread just started on CAG where someone found a pre-order at Target (Amazon price-matched) for The Witch and the Hundred Knights @ $19.99.  I doubt this will stand, but it might be worth a try.

Edit: Dead at Amazon.

I would definitely grab it for $20.  I think it's going to be a solid game.

Unfortunately, Amazon does not have a price listed for it at all.  Says sign up to be notified.  Did I miss it?

Yeah deal is dead on Amazon. I missed the Amazon listing but put in an order at Target.com. I am sure they will cancel but nothing gained nothing lost if that is the case.

I already had the game ordered on Amazon like a month or two ago but I doubt they will change original pre-orders to the price matched cost. Even so, NISA will probably do a limited edition and I will end up picking that version over the standard.

Missed it on Amazon.  Sadly, I once had a pre-order for it on Amazon.  If I'd still had that, they would have had to adjust my pre-order to $20 when it shipped.

Got it on Target instead now, but I suppose they'll cancel it when the time comes.  Sad.

I guess it's possible the game could end up being a stinker like Hometown Story, but it sure looks like a lot of fun.

Some people on the other thread were asking "Who'll still be playing PS3 in 2014?"  Uhhhh us in this thread...  It took until now for us to get the kind of games we like!

Yeah deal is dead on Amazon. I missed the Amazon listing but put in an order at Target.com. I am sure they will cancel but nothing gained nothing lost if that is the case.

I already had the game ordered on Amazon like a month or two ago but I doubt they will change original pre-orders to the price matched cost. Even so, NISA will probably do a limited edition and I will end up picking that version over the standard.
You might be in luck! When a pre-order ships, they change the price to whatever the lowest pre-order price was. It'll probably say $49.99 or whatever right up until it ships, but at that point, they should switch it to $19.99 for you.

Amazon has a preorder lowest price guarantee.

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date. A pre-order price guarantee message will appear on your Order Summary during the checkout process. If you use 1-Click ordering, pre-order price protection will be automatically applied. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.
So if they charge you more, then point this out or ask someone (like myself) for an image of their order at the $19.99 price.

Amazon price adjusted for me. Amazon customer support has always been pretty awesome. Here is the conversation for those who like gamers helping other gamers out.

Rodrigo:Is the game The Witch and the Hundred Knights?

Me:The price Target.com currently has listed is $19.99

Rodrigo:Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we do not price match to other companies or sellers inside amazon.com. However, as a fellow gamer that will purchase that game, I will make an exception and change the price for you.

Me:Thank you for doing that for me
I really appreciate it!

Rodrigo:You're welcome Daniel. I'll send you an email with the confirmation of the change of the price. Is the game already in English?

Me:I don't think everything is completely known about the game at this point
typically NIS America dubs their games so it will most likely be in English
If they decide not to dub it the game will of course have Japanese as the main language with English subtitles.

Rodrigo:Thanks for the info. I am playing Disgaea and found about this game not too long ago and looks really nice. Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Me:I wanted to get that game too but my backlog is too much.
Nope that is everything.
Thank you for being so helpful and helping out a fellow gamer. Have a good day. :)

Rodrigo:You too Daniel. A small survey will be sent with the email confirmation. Have a nice day, I hope you have some time off at the end of the year to finish your backlog and enjoy the game!

For those have the Guided Fate Paradox, how do you like it? Is it worth picking up?
I think it depends on the kind of game you like. It's the spiritual successor to ZHP on the PSP, which I played the ever-loving shit out of. It's very similar in humor and content. I've never been into roguelikes really, but I dig this a lot. It got good reviews too, so there's that.

Amazon price adjusted for me. Amazon customer support has always been pretty awesome. Here is the conversation for those who like gamers helping other gamers out.

Rodrigo:Is the game The Witch and the Hundred Knights?

Me:The price Target.com currently has listed is $19.99

Rodrigo:Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we do not price match to other companies or sellers inside amazon.com. However, as a fellow gamer that will purchase that game, I will make an exception and change the price for you.

Me:Thank you for doing that for me
I really appreciate it!

Rodrigo:You're welcome Daniel. I'll send you an email with the confirmation of the change of the price. Is the game already in English?

Me:I don't think everything is completely known about the game at this point
typically NIS America dubs their games so it will most likely be in English
If they decide not to dub it the game will of course have Japanese as the main language with English subtitles.

Rodrigo:Thanks for the info. I am playing Disgaea and found about this game not too long ago and looks really nice. Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Me:I wanted to get that game too but my backlog is too much.
Nope that is everything.
Thank you for being so helpful and helping out a fellow gamer. Have a good day. :)

Rodrigo:You too Daniel. A small survey will be sent with the email confirmation. Have a nice day, I hope you have some time off at the end of the year to finish your backlog and enjoy the game!
That's hilarious!! You should have asked him to cut you a few more deals while he was on the line :p

OK peoples.

Honest opinion on Hometown Story.

Worth it to play and keep or trade/sell it away?

I got it day one from GS with the winged dragon plushie.

Just curious what people think.

Can't wait to play Rune Factory 4

OK peoples.

Honest opinion on Hometown Story.

Worth it to play and keep or trade/sell it away?

I got it day one from GS with the winged dragon plushie.

Just curious what people think.

Can't wait to play Rune Factory 4
I adore Rune Factory 4 and the various Harvest Moons.

Bought Hometown Story on the eshop as soon as it was released and regret it terribly. Spent about 2 hours, and it's just janky and junky and incomplete and directionless like an iPhone game. We not shocked to see the reviews and really wish I'd seen them before buying. I have it, am stuck with it, and even I don't think I can handle actually playing it.

Reminds me of the early 90s when I was unfortunate enough to buy a few games on faith and get burned. Really depressing when you have a limited budget, but I wanted to support them, support the game, and thought it was a sure thing.

It's mediocre, at best, if even that.

I adore Rune Factory 4 and the various Harvest Moons.

Bought Hometown Story on the eshop as soon as it was released and regret it terribly. Spent about 2 hours, and it's just janky and junky and incomplete and directionless like an iPhone game. We not shocked to see the reviews and really wish I'd seen them before buying. I have it, am stuck with it, and even I don't think I can handle actually playing it.

Reminds me of the early 90s when I was unfortunate enough to buy a few games on faith and get burned. Really depressing when you have a limited budget, but I wanted to support them, support the game, and thought it was a sure thing.

It's mediocre, at best, if even that.
Why thank you kind sir.

To the tradelist it goes.

Sega has announced that Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f is coming to NA on the Vita in early 2014. Here's the accompanying announcement trailer:
I'm saddened to see that its digital. I'll just stick to my JP ver then unless this somehow has a different trophy list than the others.

Is there any reason to own Project Diva F on Vita if I already have it on PS3?

Awesome news, the PS3 version is in my backlog.
Not really, unless you really don't want to properly calibrate your tv for the PS3 game.

I'm pretty excited about the digital-only Vita release.  I hope this opens the door for more niche games to come out here, and hopefully some from the past we've missed like Valkyria Chronicles 3.

I never played them in order.

I played 2,1,3 cause thats who i got my hands on them.

The PS3 version is bigger. Never played the Wii

But I dont think there is an order.

Well the Guided Fate Paradox LE for $75 at NIS America is sold out / gone from site. Now that kinda was a "deal" since you can't get it now.

Speaking of paying $25 for some extras, actually "$45-$55" more if you consider you can probably find the game for $20-$30 in a few months, what's with NIS America's fluctuating LE prices?

They started at an extra $10 making them $60 (standard games are $50 from NIS) and it was a nice little bonus/incentive to "pre-order" (pay full price on release instead of waiting for sales) a cool LE edition. Then they bump it up $15 to $65 (Meruru, Neptunia) and now $25 more (Guided Fate Paradox) or even $35 with Disgaea D2 being $85 (or add more $105 for LE Guide version). Now we are in the normal $60 "AAA games" that have LE's price range (Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, etc had $80 versions), are we ok with that? It's a shame because since NIS America is the only ones that sell the LE's (Totori was the last multi-store LE) they can get away with it.

Pathetic rant, I know. :headache:

Well the Guided Fate Paradox LE for $75 at NIS America is sold out / gone from site. Now that kinda was a "deal" since you can't get it now.

Speaking of paying $25 for some extras, actually "$45-$55" more if you consider you can probably find the game for $20-$30 in a few months, what's with NIS America's fluctuating LE prices?

They started at an extra $10 making them $60 (standard games are $50 from NIS) and it was a nice little bonus/incentive to "pre-order" (pay full price on release instead of waiting for sales) a cool LE edition. Then they bump it up $15 to $65 (Meruru, Neptunia) and now $25 more (Guided Fate Paradox) or even $35 with Disgaea D2 being $85 (or add more $105 for LE Guide version). Now we are in the normal $60 "AAA games" that have LE's price range (Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, etc had $80 versions), are we ok with that? It's a shame because since NIS America is the only ones that sell the LE's (Totori was the last multi-store LE) they can get away with it.

Pathetic rant, I know. :headache:
A lot of this has to do with quality differences. Like the Disgaea 4 CE had an extremely cheap and awful looking figure (Japan got the super awesome Nendorid. Here's a comparison if you didn't look), so the increase in price wasn't that sharp. Disgaea D2 uses better quality figures, just like Mugen Souls uses Nendoroids, so the prices start to go a little higher. These small things can make a difference, plus you have a supply / demand and a number of other factors that contribute to the cost.

Yeesh. I'm glad I'm not interested in LEs. Sounds stressful.
If you...

Don't obsess about how rare something will be.

Don't act like it's an investment, such as gold.

Limit yourself to only the items you want.

Support the games you love.

And don't expect every figure to be on par with $300+ vinyl figures...

It really isn't that stressful and can give you some interesting items to display (like Vincent's boxers).

Yeah, the boxers are neat.  :)  I'm just an OCD freak about physical items and not having clutter.  Works out for me monetarily though I guess.

So NISA sent me my replacement D2 guide. It was packed poorly (two corners damaged) and I had to pay $3.88 on it...:whistle2:

So NISA sent me my replacement D2 guide. It was packed poorly (two corners damaged) and I had to pay $3.88 on it...:whistle2:/
I can commiserate here, though in a different context. Whenever Amazon ships me a hardcover book, this always seems to happen. :( Companies don't seem to understand how to protect hardcover books. On the plus, with Amazon, you can complain and get a discount, but if you're a collector, a discount on a damaged item is not what you want. (I'm not a collector, luckily.)

This may get messy but there are some awesome deals here... :)

sig.jpg

I already said in this thread before....Hometown Story is basic as basic gets...feels clunky...not great...big pass...wait for the next harvest moon or just go crazy on Rune Factory 4.

I have a $5 gift certificate code for NIS that expires 3/16/2014. Does anyone want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back