Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like the combat in a Tales RPG, there's not much that will keep you playing. Tales of Vesperia is the only exception, because it's the only Tales game that wasn't excessively generic in terms of plot/characters.
Mostly Agree with this :p I've enjoyed every Tales game since Abyss (and including), and although they change the resource system, it's usually the same style. Graces F threw in sidestepping and CC which I actually enjoyed. Xillia wasn't bad either. Vesperia has the best story of the bunch, in my opinion at least. LOVE playing the games co-op.

I'm excited for the announcement coming up :)

Mostly Agree with this :p I've enjoyed every Tales game since Abyss (and including), and although they change the resource system, it's usually the same style. Graces F threw in sidestepping and CC which I actually enjoyed. Xillia wasn't bad either. Vesperia has the best story of the bunch, in my opinion at least. LOVE playing the games co-op.

I'm excited for the announcement coming up :)
I've read that about Vesperia in a ton of places. Sadly it's not translated on PS3, so that's not happening.

I have SO: Last Hope International on my xmas list. I've also got the 2 PSP games to play via emulation (since they're not on PSN) but have not yet started them.

So it's not just me in regards to the crappy audio in Graces F, right? Not just the VA itself being mediocre, but the quality of the voice audio is bad enough to be really distracting.

You could learn Japanese! :) Helps so much with importing games we don't get in the states.

I have not played Star Ocean before, so I can't comment on that. Regarding the audio in Graces F, I was fine with it, but i'm not a stickler on audio quality. Tales of Xillia also has weird audio in some places.

Last Hope is terrible, but enjoy the PSP games.

And if you wanna hear bad audio, look forward to Xillia. The voith acting on Milla ethpethially is gonna kill your ears.

And if you wanna hear bad audio, look forward to Xillia. The voith acting on Milla ethpethially is gonna kill your ears.
The actual voice acting is sub-par, but it's the quality of the audio on them that is distracting. It sounds super-compressed and a bit mechanical, like they just used really bad recording equipment or a bad sound studio and didn't give a crap. I have poor hearing, too, so it's gotta be worse for others. I am wearing a headset, though, which is probably atypical and makes it stand out more.

I put my sealed copy of Last Hope up for sale based on the fact that I seem to really dislike action combat systems, but I changed my mind and suspended the sale. :/ Seems like I always spend a few hours with action combat, such as Tales or Infinite Undiscovery, and infinitely undiscover my lack of love for action combat. I like it in Skyrim and Zelda and several others. I don't know why I like it some places and not others, but I'd take a good turn-based system any day. I don't see the thrill in button-mashing. Just not fun to me.

If you're not into button mashing, you don't have many console J-RPG options.

I guess you could try the FFXIII trilogy for good combat, but damn if the plot/characters aren't completely broken.

If you're not into button mashing, you don't have many console J-RPG options.

I guess you could try the FFXIII trilogy for good combat, but damn if the plot/characters aren't completely broken.
I didn't really like the combat in FFXIII. Couldn't figure it out! I still plan to replay it, though, and XIII-2. 3 looks like more of an action combat system again, and 15 looks more like Kingdom Hearts than Final Fantasy as far as combat goes.

Oh well. Last FF game with combat I really loved was X. I thought it was the best combat system in the whole series.

I think I'll enjoy Bravely Default.

Yeah, it's confusing but I'm sure you'll get into it if you really care about interesting combat.

BTW, Bravely Default is a faceroll. If you want to think, get Persona 4 Golden whenever you get a Vita.

Yeah, it's confusing but I'm sure you'll get into it if you really care about interesting combat.

BTW, Bravely Default is a faceroll. If you want to think, get Persona 4 Golden whenever you get a Vita.
I don't even know if my problem is wanting interesting combat. I think I just want combat that's fun and I enjoy, and I am old and cynical and only enjoy turn-based combat. Who knows! I will just have to keep trying stuff. I think about the time I quit FFXIII (not on purpose, and right at the point where the world opens up!), I was finally barely starting to figure the combat out, but the whole time I played, I just sort of wished it was different. I did enjoy the game, despite it just being corridors with combat and cutscenes (which is how I feel about Kingdom Hearts 2, and I liked XIII more than KH2 for sure).

I've got a Vita and played the hell out of P4 on PS2. Looking forward to playing Golden! I think the Persona 3/4 combat system is one of the strongest of all JRPGs. I think Grandia still might be the best of all time, though.

Thus another chapter in my sad gaming life is chronicled.

considering star ocean has as much strat as a tales game and is just as if not more mashy than tales of (with even fewer attacks to use) I honestly don't see how someone could hate one but not the other.

ff13's combat is incredibly simple. ravs to increase the stagger gauge, coms to stabilize it then once staggered they usually die if they even get that far in the first place.

ff13's combat is incredibly simple. ravs to increase the stagger gauge, coms to stabilize it then once staggered they usually die if they even get that far in the first place.
I suggested the XIII series not because it's hard but because you have to change things up. That is, more effort is required than just pressing X constantly. The only hard part about it was those freaking number puzzles in XIII-2. Ugh.

I probably won't like Star Ocean: Last Hope, I guess, but gotta try!  I still think Valkyrie Profile is Tri-Ace's best game.  :)  Always wanted to like Star Ocean...

I wanted to like Radiata Stories, but I just couldn't enjoy the combat.  Same with Rogue Galaxy (Level-5) and so many others.

Amazon has Muramasa Rebirth (regular and LE) for $19.99 and $29.99.

They were in my cart right after midnight and the price flipped. Don't think it was advertised though?

Amazon has Muramasa Rebirth (regular and LE) for $19.99 and $29.99.

They were in my cart right after midnight and the price flipped. Don't think it was advertised though?
It wasn't advertised at all, but this is the lowest the LE has been since April during a Lightning deal.

I actually just ordered one myself for the game and the case.

I probably won't like Star Ocean: Last Hope, I guess, but gotta try! I still think Valkyrie Profile is Tri-Ace's best game. :) Always wanted to like Star Ocean...

I wanted to like Radiata Stories, but I just couldn't enjoy the combat. Same with Rogue Galaxy (Level-5) and so many others.
Actually, End of Eternity is Tri-Ace's best. I keep forgetting Sega's published it.

Actually, End of Eternity is Tri-Ace's best. I keep forgetting Sega's published it.
Hm, wouldn't know it from the middling reviews (Resonance of Fate in the U.S.). I'm definitely excited to play it, though. The battle system looks more to my liking than the typical action battle systems.

Aksys Games is having a 30% off everything on their online store starting today. I don't know how to get it to work /where to input the code?
Same here. I went through the checkout process all the way up till when they asked for Paypal and didn't see any place to put in the code. Blegh.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll browse through their stock in the interim.

Edit: The sale sucks after looking into it. 30% off is great, but there's a flat $5 shipping fee for each item. The Jubei plush is nice but not good enough to make up for the shipping.

Wait, Sweet Fuse was actually good? Shit, I'll have to jump on that when it hits $20 or below on Amazon.
Yep. I went from :D to :( to :D again. :D when I saw it was out, :( when I saw no reviews, then :D when it got really good western reviews. It is definitely a visual novel, but it's quirky and fun.

Yeah, that one was a nice surprise! If you like visual novels and don't mind playing a girl swarmed with dudes (but she's a fun, peppy girl who gets to say pretty much whatever she wants)...

By the way Shin Megami Tensei is $24.99 at Frys.com. http://www.frys.com/product/7664197?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Just ordered one for my fiancee. Don't expect it's the limited edition, but it would be neat if it was!
They had only the LEs in the store here, but they're all crushed into their security boxes.

Just so happens the SNES fan translation patch for Ys 5 is out.  Now you can play some form of every Ys game in English.

Just so happens the SNES fan translation patch for Ys 5 is out. Now you can play some form of every Ys game in English.
Ah yay, that's good news! I do have at least one of the Super Famicom carts. Not that that helps, but you know. I'll look into that! Can't wait for my Ys binge. 8 games! Thanks!

Aside from "Tales of Xillia" being pricematched on Amazon, "Kingdom Hearts Remix", "Final Fantasy Theaterythm" on (or was on) sale and the ICO set for $9.99.... I'm a bit shocked that Aksys, Xseed, NIS America, Atlus game sales that we have seen in the past on Amazon are zilch on BF.

Hopefully, "Dragon's Crown", "Code of Princess", "Killer is Dead" "Sweet Fuse: At Your Side", "Zero Escape" and others go down in price.

I'm hoping "RE6", "Project x Zone", "Fire Emblem" go down...

Aside from Tales of Xillia being pricematched on Amazon, Kingdom Hearts Remix on sale and the ICO set for $9.99.... I'm a bit shocked that Aksys, Xseed, NIS America, Atlus game sales that we have seen in the past on Amazon are zilch on BF.

Hopefully, "Dragon's Crown", "Code of Princess", "Killer is Dead" "Sweet Fuse: At Your Side", "Zero Escape" and others go down in price.
I think Amazon matched Gamestop's sales on Dragon's Crown and Killer is Dead. I know someone mention Sweet Fuse several posts ago so somewhere might have that on sale.

Aside from "Tales of Xillia" being pricematched on Amazon, "Kingdom Hearts Remix", "Final Fantasy Theaterythm" on (or was on) sale and the ICO set for $9.99.... I'm a bit shocked that Aksys, Xseed, NIS America, Atlus game sales that we have seen in the past on Amazon are zilch on BF.

I'm hoping "RE6", "Project x Zone", "Fire Emblem" go down...
Almost missed ICO/Shadow for $9.99. Thanks.

Same here. I went through the checkout process all the way up till when they asked for Paypal and didn't see any place to put in the code. Blegh.

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll browse through their stock in the interim.

Edit: The sale sucks after looking into it. 30% off is great, but there's a flat $5 shipping fee for each item. The Jubei plush is nice but not good enough to make up for the shipping.
Has anybody figured out where to put the stupid code for the Aksys sale? I'd like to get 999 from them, but they don't seem to want my money. =P

That's a good price on Technika Tune... I have DJ Max for PC and bought DMJP3 while $20 (I know there's hate, but I like it...).  I spent my Amazon funds and some cash on Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown for my Vita... so those three (plus an unfinished Persona 4 Golden!) will keep me busy for a long time to come!

Some really great Japanese game deals today. 

Saw it on Siliconera. What a bummer. I've never played a Rune Factory game I didn't enjoy, and RF4 is selling more briskly than any before it.

I know they worked on some Lufia and Shining Force games, too, but I assume those were not Lufia I, II or Shining Force I, II or III. :) Anyway, Rune Factory is quality.

That's a good price on Technika Tune... I have DJ Max for PC and bought DMJP3 while $20 (I know there's hate, but I like it...). I spent my Amazon funds and some cash on Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown for my Vita... so those three (plus an unfinished Persona 4 Golden!) will keep me busy for a long time to come!

Some really great Japanese game deals today.
I didn't even know DJ Max had a pc version. I bought a copy of DJ Max Portable 3 new for like $8. The song selection was okay but I liked the music more in DJ Max Technika.

ok... where the hell do you enter the BLUE promo code on Aksys's site for the 30% off? I may be blind but i just cant find it. I was trying to snag a couple copies of ragnarok tactics. Wanted Sorcery saga too but its sold out

*edit*

Has anybody figured out where to put the stupid code for the Aksys sale? I'd like to get 999 from them, but they don't seem to want my money. =P
looks like im not the onnly one... cmon no one knows?

Saw it Siliconera. What a bummer. I've never played a Rune Factory game I didn't enjoy, and RF4 is selling more briskly than any before it.

I know they worked on some Lufia and Shining Force games, too, but I assume those were not Lufia I, II or Shining Force I, II or III. :) Anyway, Rune Factory is quality.

Saw it on Siliconera. What a bummer. I've never played a Rune Factory game I didn't enjoy, and RF4 is selling more briskly than any before it.

They developed Lufia I & II and Shining Force Neo and Shining Force EXA.

ok... where the hell do you enter the BLUE promo code on Aksys's site for the 30% off? I may be blind but i just cant find it. I was trying to snag a couple copies of ragnarok tactics. Wanted Sorcery saga too but its sold out

*edit*

looks like im not the onnly one... cmon no one knows?
I emailed their online orders division, but haven't gotten a response. I love Aksys, but this is just kind of sad. (It looks especially bad when I emailed Winter Wolves on the same day and got a response in like 2 minutes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back